2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 7 invisible), 1,957 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
No, it's not Nora the piano playing cat, but our cat Lance has taken a real shine to sitting in Anthony's lap as he tries to practice. The accent on tries to practice. Sometimes the cat sits quietly. That's bad enough because of the weight. But sometimes he butts Anthony's arms and hands for attention, especially if it's dinner time. This can get rather amusing. Here's a little practice session on the third Gershwin Prelude. The piece is clearly not polished yet, but it will be in a few weeks. The cat is the amusement value.

Lance enjoying a little Gershwin Practice

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That's so cute. laugh My teacher had an old cat awhile ago who would drool while I played...don't if it was a good sign or not! It was a rather scary looking cat too. Not nearly as cute as yours. I used to have a cat who would enjoy pouncing across the keyboard if I left the piano open. Too bad I didn't film her and turn her into an internet sensation. wink

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Love the cat! He seems to appreciate Gershwin!

I also wish I could play this Prelude as well as Anthony's "unpolished" version!

I'm looking forward to the final product.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I have a little table beside my piano I used to keep music on. Alice, my "piano cat" decided it was her napping spot. Now the music is elsewhere and Alice has a basket beside the piano.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My hound dog "Bubba" likes to lie under my feet when I play. Sometimes he gets in the way of the pedal, but otherwise he doesn't bother me except when he's ready for his walk, then he tries to sing. His singing sounds like a hound dog howling: loud and off key.

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
OP Offline
Originally Posted by BruceD
Love the cat! He seems to appreciate Gershwin!

I think he likes less energetic pieces even better. Then he can just sit there in Anthony's lap and enjoy the music without being jostled too much. On the other hand, if it's his dinner time, he does the jostling with his very wet and very cold nose applied directly to some exposed skin on the arm or hand. grin

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You're lucky Piano*dad, my cat never just sits on a lap, she walks up and down the keys, then sits down on the keys. Or if she does sit on a lap she always cheeks smooches the keys so that they sound. It wouldn't be so bad, but she can never be completely trusted not to take a swipe at your hands, drawing a little blood. Otherwise Id be turning her into a Nora for sure wink

A while ago (before Cat was banned from the room) a student was playing a new piece and Cat climbed onto the bench beside her. "no leave her there!" begged the student mid-piece. I muttered dire warnings about claws. The piece drew towards its conclusion but the student fumbled to find the final low note, and then my Cat played it with her paw. The right note. It was a D. Cat was a little late, but ahead of the student laugh

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I had a voice teacher a long while ago who had a dog, a little Westhighland Terrier, who would go in a corner and get the dry heaves whenever a soprano sang a tone or two above the staff.

Tomasino

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Alice In Pianoland (please pardon dusty desk!)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hey Frycek - that's the spot where your music should go isn't it! Lovely pic of a happily sleeping kitty.

Tomasino, I am speechless at that image. How disturbing (for sopranos).

Piano*dad
After the little reference to Piano*son's competition winnings in another thread I am wondering if perhaps the cat on his lap was just too cute for the judges to resist wink

Last edited by Canonie; 11/26/09 06:33 AM.

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Canonie
Hey Frycek - that's the spot where your music should go isn't it! Lovely pic of a happily sleeping kitty.

That's where it did go. She kept knocking it off until I got the message.

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
-Frycek
yes I know, from your earlier post. It was nice to see and recognise former music spot taken over by cat.

Just got up from a practice where my cat was as disruptive as possible. I put a really alluring chair just far enough away not to scare me. She sat on it and purred loudly... then jumped onto my lap (scary) then onto keys (loud and scary). Then when I stand up she gets down. Fine. So i start again she gets up on chair, purrs loudly, leaps onto lap (i stop playing) she plays some soft chords with her cheeks... I practise the RH at a safe distance a few 8ves higher than written, she leaps onto the keys again.
I would love to have a cat like yours that just curls up nearby and makes me feel all warm inside. I don't think it's ever going to happen. I mean I appreciate that she is a very musical cat, but..

Hey I just realised that I was playing Claude Depussy. Maybe if I go back to the Bark she'll ignore me haughtily and I can get on with it smirk

[Linked Image]
Alex Ross.
OP Offline

After the little reference to Piano*son's competition winnings in another thread I am wondering if perhaps the cat on his lap was just too cute for the judges to resist wink

Alas, the cat isn't allowed as a prop. grin

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
-Frycek
I would love to have a cat like yours that just curls up nearby and makes me feel all warm inside. I don't think it's ever going to happen. I mean I appreciate that she is a very musical cat, but..

Alice is definitely a people cat. She has to be with someone. I usually practice two-three hours in the morning before I go to work. I'll be wearing jeans and as soon as I change into my scrubs she knows I'm headed for work and goes and hangs out in my husband's lair. She has her manic moments too. She sometimes repeatedly leaps into my lap, usually from the floor. I just have to put her back down rather firmly. Her favorite non-pianistic trick is to get trapped in the laundry chute. The hatch door only swings one way she has to be rescued. Recently we put a hook and eye on the door and are taking bets as to how long it'll take her to learn to unlatch it.

Fred and Alice
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Now imagine your cat speaking like Haley Joel Osment in Sixth Sense ....

"I see dead people ...."

grin

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
Now imagine your cat speaking like Haley Joel Osment in Sixth Sense ....

"I see dead people ...."

grin

Well, I've photographed some unexplained balls of light in that room before - - wink

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Must be the reflections from Alice's eyes!

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
David,

That video is really wonderful. Lance really loves the piano and Anthony's playing. Does the cat hang around when Anthony plays other things as well as the Gershwin?

I got Lulu'd yesterday while I was practicing. My fluffy ragdoll Lulu decided that it was time for a kitty hug and got up in my face while I was practicing. I tried to at sit her down on my lap, but she kept getting up and putting her paws around my neck.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
OP Offline
Today, Anthony played the third movement of the Beethoven sonata Op. 10 no. 1 and Lance sat contentedly in his lap for the entire piece. The cat actually enjoys the music and the company. He is the most remarkable cat I have ever owned. He is placid for the most part, and deeply affectionate in turn. Of course, when Lance is in his lap Anthony cannot quite play with the same intensity. He might disturb the beast. smile

OP Offline
Lance the piano*cat passed away yesterday. This one was very special to me.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission