2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I found an ad on Craigslist for a Kawai digital piano, model P350, for $200. It has 88 wooden keys, etc, other things mentioned include:

Model 350, Full Keyboard, 88 wood keys. High quality. No nicks or scratches. Includes Stand and Bench! This is a great keyboard.
Tone Colors: Piano 1, Piano 2, E. Piano 1, E. Piano 2, Harpsichord, Vibraphone, Full Organ, Jazz Organ, Brass Ensemble, String Ensemble
Effects: Tremolo, Chorus
Special Mode: Dual, Split
Temperaments: Equal, Mersenne pure, Pythagorean, Meantone, Werckmeister III, Kirnberger III
Controls: Volume, Brilliance, Transpose, Tune, Dual/Split Balance, Split Point
Other Fittings: Headphone Jack, Pedal Jacks (Soft, Damper), Line Input Jacks (L[Mono]/R), Input Level Switch (H/L), Line Output Jacks (L[Mono}/R), Output Level Switch (H/L), Expression Pedal Jack, MIDI Jacks (IN, OUT, THRU).
Output Power: 20W x 2
Speakers: 16 cm x 2, 6 cm x 2

In my research, I have not been able to find this piano reviewed on the Internet except for one reference to a users manual for model P350 by Kawai itself. Nothing else is found on the Internet, which mystifies me.

Has anyone heard of this digital piano?

Thanks.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
tranquillo, this model is over 20 years old - even at $200, you may wish to carefully consider the true value of such an instrument.

The owner's manual can be downloaded from the KAWAI US technical support website at the following URL:

http://www.kawaius-tsd.com/pages/dp_om.html

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Is this model more than 20 yrs. old?
If the specs are accurate, they
reflect a recent model, that is:
wood keys, six different temperment
options, etc.--particularly the
temperment options. This feature
has only recently appeared on
digitals, say, in ~ the last 5 yrs.,
if I'm not mistaken, and certainly
it would not have been included
on a 1980's-vintage digital piano.
This looks like a great buy at $200,
if the specs are accurate. Test
all 88 keys with and without
the right pedal before buying.
The price looks a little too
good to be true for a digital
piano with these kinds of specs;
for example, wood keys are a
premium feature typically
found only on high-end
digital pianos. I'd be a
little cautious about this one,
although it could be a great
buy.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by tranquillo
I found an ad on Craigslist for a Kawai digital piano, model P350, for $200. It has 88 wooden keys, etc, other things mentioned include:

I found an older Kawai also. (not th same one)
My thinking is that the sound generation will not be up to today's standards but maybe (I hope) the keys have a good feel and the MIDI connection works.

If so I could play software instruments and have state of the art sound on the old keyboard. If I really liked the keys I might buy a used Yamaha Motif rack mount. MIDI lets you update the sound. Only worth it if the keys are first rate.

Do read the user manual. The last Clavinova I found on CL the seller had cut and pasted the description and specs from a recent model and claimed to not know they were different. The model being sold was not worth using.

Last edited by ChrisA; 11/12/09 11:47 AM.
OP Offline
Thanks for all your replies, I am learning a lot. I played the P350 in question and found it to evidence craftsmanship of an older time, still had some life left in it. It is without digital connectivity, no USB port, no chance to update tones through MIDI. It is not comparable to my new Kawai EP3. Now there's a dream come true. Thanks for all your elegant phrases considering, is this junk or is it not, regarding the P350.

Baldwin
Charles Walter
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
no chance to update tones through MIDI.

The spec that you quoted listed MIDI(In, Out, Thru)
So one of your two postings is in error. But if you looked it in in person and did not find MIDI ports then it is kind of a dead end. But MIDI was common 20 years ago and it should be there

Last edited by ChrisA; 11/23/09 07:12 PM.
According to the owner's manual, this instrument does indeed feature MIDI In, Out, and Thru jacks, in addition to Line In and Line Out.

Kind regards,
James
x

OP Offline
I must admit my ignorance of the rudimentary technical aspects of a digital piano.

Does this mean that the tones may be updated, even on a very old digital piano?

Baldwin
Charles Walter
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
I must admit my ignorance of the rudimentary technical aspects of a digital piano.

Does this mean that the tones may be updated, even on a very old digital piano?

not "updated". A better term would be "bypassed". But the effect is about the same.

Think of it this way: Inside a digital piano the keys make "midi data" this is fed to a tone generator and then to an amplifier and then to a speaker. The typical piano has all these parts inside.

What is being talked about here is accessing the "midi data" and sending it to a computer (or other stand-alone tone generator) where tone generation is done. So the tones inside the piano are not "updated" they are simply not used.

Yes, this is a good explanation.

Might I also add that, because this instrument also features Line In jacks, it's possible to take the audio signal created by the computer, and play it back through the piano's speaker system.

It may sound like a rather convoluted process, however it can yield surprisingly good results - as I'm sure a number of others here will testify.

Kind regards,
James
x

I am reviving this ancient post just to archive some information about this elusive Kawai digital piano 350 (P350) model because there isn't really any info anywhere, in hope this will help someone to avoid big mistakes. I had the chance of trying one recently.

While the specs from Kawai PDF that is still out there (the only real info) may be pretty good on paper (it has 88 wooden keys, split point, different temperaments, can an be tuned etc..) this old KAWAI model could be barely called digital piano by today standards (except it has a shape and double of weight of one), so make no mistake.

The keyboard, while keys are indeed made of wood has a pretty much electric organ keybed feel to it and I am pretty sure it is simply re-purposed one. So it definitively has nothing to do with a piano keyboard nor anywhere close.

The sound is also nowhere near any piano sound of today. It has an obvious piano-like timbre, which I assume was still made by oscillators and filters and could be probably called a good achievement at that time (I have no idea how old it actually is but by the sound, having midi and the type of keybed I would say about 1985-1989).

It has midi in and out and internal speakers (rather loud and boomy).

The final comment is that if someone would want to give me one for fee I would politely refuse coz it would be pain to drag it to the curb on Tuesday...

I am putting this here, because some people still may see it on local classifieds or ebay from time to time and the specs on paper may actually look great, but IMHO it isn't worth its weight in wood.

Last edited by oscar1; 02/22/17 07:42 PM.

Casio PX-860, Roland Fantom G, Kurzweil PC1X, Korg Micro X
S
S
I have a Kawai Model 350 digital piano. If anyone wants to hear a sample of what it sounds like, I would be happy to email a sound sample

S
S
Personally, I think it sounds great and it feels great.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission