2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, 3 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1312299 11/25/09 06:03 PM
K
KeVan Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Alright, I am pretty sure most people would say the P155 "wins" but I am just wondering, how much "better" is the P155 compared to the PX730?

The PX730 is almost half the price of the P155, so I assume the more "expensive a product, the better it is", well that holds true for most products.

I also heard stories that Casio pianos tend to breakdown before Yamaha, so I am a bit worried about that b/c I want a product that will last for several years. (Especially b/c I am a full time student and tuition is painful on the wallet )

I've read that the difference between the weighted keys of the two aren't that far, so why did P155 owners buy a P155 and why didn't PX730 owners go for a "yammie"?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by KeVan; 11/25/09 06:04 PM.
KeVan #1312306 11/25/09 06:10 PM
V
V
Actually, the P155 has one of the lightest Yamaha kexboards I've played, and Casios tend to have heavier actions than any other DP, while Yamahas are usually in the lighter category, so the difference in touch must be pretty big IMO.
Deffinately try both before buying.
The sound is pretty bright on both and both can adjust the brightness.
Both have 4-layer sampling.
The Casios design allready includes a stand and 3 pedals, while the Yamaha only comes with a single pedal, and you have to buy an extra stand.
The Yamaha has better speakers (more powerfull).

That's all I can remember from the top pf the head.
If i were you, I'd try the keyboards and take the one with the better (for me) touch.

Vid_w #1312310 11/25/09 06:13 PM
K
KeVan Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Well speakers aren't really going to make a difference because i'll be plugging it to my computer and "generally", DP speakers are garbage anyways.

So right now, it's basically the decision of investing an extra $600 or so, for a "lighter" feel..

Thanks for the quick response.

KeVan #1312427 11/25/09 09:20 PM
L
L
You have to be kidding. First you gave two or three reasons yourself why the 155 would probably be superior to the 730 and then when one person points out the difference in weighted keys you 'conclude' that that's what it comes down to?

It might be a bit like buying a Toyota compared to a Hundai. When new they both may perform about the same with some but not that much apparent difference in quality with the Toyota. But in the long run the Toyota probably will be on the road longer than the hundai. The yamaha has a 3 year warranty. The Casio has a 1 year warranty. If you 'wiggle' the keys on each the casio's keys have more side to side wiggle and that's the problem i had the 330 i bought. After a month two of the keys began to touch together while playing and making a clicking sound from the plasic side edges hitting together. Not only was this not acceptable but I thought probably a bad sign for what would happen in the future where other keys might develop more side-play and begindoing this too. I liked the 330, piano sounds were very nice especially the 'classic piano' but the other sounds were not great and did not make you want to play them at all, for example the strings and harpsichord which were probably the 2 i'd use most besides the piano....not so good. So I had no choice but to return the casio because of the keys knocking together; I would have kept it even with the not so great other sounds because 1)the price was right 2) The piano sound was very good 3) the action though heavy seemed realistic and i thought the heavy action would be good for trainng purposes. So I paid the extra money and got a 155 and am very happy it turned out this way. The other sounds are quite a bit better and the quality better, well at least from what i can tell and i'm talking about the key issue; little tendency to wiggle loosely from side to side like the casio whatever method they use to attach the keys must be different. Yamaha also seems not as harsh on the digital sound as the casio although like i said the casio was not bad on especially that main piano sound, but a little harsh edge, just a little. The yamaha seems smoother at going from softer to louder when you hit the keys. I paid 960 for the yamaha though by emailing a few music stores and asking them if they'd match the labor day 20% off (which i had gotten on the 330 and one of them said ok so for me it was a matter of adding $400 to the price of the 330 so if you were to go for the yamaha i'd wait until they had another 200 off and get it for 999. (i paid 960 with the 20% off though)

limavady #1312528 11/26/09 01:03 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
people who buy P155 are because they like it, and people who buy PX730 are also because they like it and plus it's cheaper than P155. personally, i would rather buy a P155 than buy any other cheaper option, since i have a Yamaha DP and like Yamaha better than Casio, touch and sound. i intend to buy a P155 soon anyway because i need one portable to take with me when i move to a different job location.

it's pretty subjective about the action on either DP, and you have to play both and tell which one you like better, and then you add the price difference to that and make a decision of your own.

signa #1312554 11/26/09 01:52 AM
K
KeVan Offline OP
OP Offline
K
so now it's durable vs price. is casio durable..hmm..
but at a fraction of the cost and comes with a stand/pedals/bench, the px730 is still hard to turn down.

and sry for my ambiguous/confusing post. my research notes are conflicting with my ideas, haha....

KeVan #1312581 11/26/09 03:07 AM
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I don't think there's a huge difference in the build quality between the Casio and Yamaha products. There are a lot of people that have had their Casio Privia pianos for a long time. As far as repairs go, both products develope issues that require service from time to time as things wear out. Here in the U.S. Yamaha does offer a better warranty (3yrs). However, over in the UK, the Casio warranty is 2 years and they are currently throwing in another year if the buyer registers on line. I would like to see Casio offer a similar warranty in the U.S. The bottom line is to play both and decide for yourself which you like better and which will fit your needs. Casio does give you more considering what you pay,as their pianos are geared more for home use and thus cost less.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission