2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 12 invisible), 1,968 guests, and 338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1313032 11/27/09 01:15 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
I want to be able to play MP3s on my DP rig. That's so that I can play along with a piece of music.

Right now, the Clavinova will accept a thumb drive. I can copy MIDI files from my computer to a thumb drive, and then plug the thumb drive into the Clav's USB port. The Clav will play the MIDI files, and I can play along. But the Clav won't play MP3s.

Since I play the Clav through an external amplifier and speakers, I could play the MP3s on my laptop, feeding its audio output to the amplifier, mixed with the DP's output. But that's inconvenient. (I don't ordinarily keep the laptop near the computer. And anyway, I don't want a lot of "rigging" in my living room.)

Instead, I could hook a small MP3 player into the amplifier, mixed with the DP's output. That entails less "rigging" ... MP3 players are small, and the connection requires nothing more than an audio cable.

So I'll just need a simple MP3 player ... preferably a very inexpensive one. I don't need lots of storage. I need only store a small set of MP3 files, so storage size is not important.

Any recommendations?

PS: I can't tolerate an ipod. Had one. Junk. Typical Apple crap. Does any other maker have something simpler, cheaper, better?

Some digital pianos allow MP3s to be played back directly on the instrument. I believe Roland offer this functionality, and I expect other manufacturers do also.

Anyway, to answer your question, I believe the most inexpensive MP3 players are those that do not actually feature any onboard memory, and instead simply playback files directly from an SD memory card.

For example:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/SnowFox-XT105-Card-MP3-Player/dp/B000F9TD1S

PS: I can't tolerate an ipod. Had one. Junk. Typical Apple crap.

I personally believe the iPod is actually one of the best MP3 players available. I am not terribly fond of iTunes (on Windows at least), however there are plenty of alternative programmes to transfer songs to and from the iPod.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
OP Offline
Thanks KJ. I'd never heard of an MP3 player that uses an SD card for storage. Nice idea. Your link points to a UK site. I'll just have to see if I can find something like that here in America.

BTW, I didn't know that there are DPs that can play MP3s. (But that isn't an option with the Clav, eh?)

Side note: I wonder why there are MP3 players anymore? All you really need to have is an SD card. Then ...
- Your phone has audio capability. Just plug in an SD. Music.
- Your stereo has audio capability. Just plug in an SD. Music.
- Your TV has audio capability. Just plug in an SD. Music (and video).
- Your car has audio capability. Just plug in an SD. Music.
- Your computer has audio capability. Just plug in an SD. Music (and video).
It seems that the only thing you need to carry is an SD. The audio system is already there, wherever you go. Just carry the SD. But ... when will they make that a reality??

Anyway ... to the other folks out there. Do you know of a unit like the one James suggested, that's available in the US?

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

So I'll just need a simple MP3 player ... preferably a very inexpensive one. I don't need lots of storage. I need only store a small set of MP3 files, so storage size is not important.

Any recommendations?

PS: I can't tolerate an ipod. Had one. Junk. Typical Apple crap. Does any other maker have something simpler, cheaper, better?

If there is something about the iPod you don't like then you'd better tell us otherwise we are likely to recommend an MP3 player that has this same feature you dislike. That's because almost all mp3 players are copies of the iPod but just made and sold at lower cost. I'd hate to recommend to you a cheap iPod wantabe. If the iPod is "junk" you will be hard pressed to find better quality. All of Apple's competitors compete solely on price so you can expect things like thin aluminum skins that dent or plastic rather then glass screens.

For you use I think the ideal would be a last generation used iPod. These sell for "way cheap". Maybe $25 to $35

One more thing. Sound quality. Are MP3s good enough or do you need a losses format. Many people with good ears are driven nuts with sonic artifacts and others don't seem to notice. So, do you need to play WAV or FLAC files?

Last edited by ChrisA; 11/27/09 02:52 AM.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I recently bought a Cowon brand MP3 player. It works well, though it's a bit quirky to load from a Mac. On Windows it has actual supporting software, which would probably make it work better.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
You didn't mention which Clavinova model you have, but some are capable of playing .wav files from a thumb drive. Worth checking anyway.

If you want the cheapest way to play mp3s, you probably have all you need, already, on your mobile phone.

Rob
MacMacMac,

I'll just have to see if I can find something like that here in America.

I checked Amazon.com briefly also, but was unable to find the same product. I'm sure you'll be able to find something similar at any reasonably sized electronics retailer.

BTW, I didn't know that there are DPs that can play MP3s.

Yes, some Roland instruments have supported this feature for a few years, while new Yamaha (CVP-505) and KAWAI (CA, CP) instruments also offer this functionality.

I wonder why there are MP3 players anymore?
The audio system is already there, wherever you go. Just carry the SD.

What about when you wish to listen to music on the move - in between the 'where you come from' and 'where you're going' stages? I love listening to podcasts while cycling, for example.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
OP Offline
Originally Posted by R0B
You didn't mention which Clavinova model you have, but some are capable of playing .wav files from a thumb drive. Worth checking anyway.
I have a CLP-240. The manual doesn't say anything about mid files, although it plays them. Neither does it say anything about mp3 files or wav files. It won't play mp3 files, but I've not yet tried a wav file. Maybe I'll try that tomorrow.

But ... even if the Clav can play audio files, I still think I'll need an external player. That's because the Clav has no FF or REW controls. Come to think of it, it might be useful to have an MP3 player with the "A/B" functionality found in CD/DVD players.

Thanks.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by KAWAI James
I believe the most inexpensive MP3 players are those that do not actually feature any onboard memory, and instead simply playback files directly from an SD memory card. For example: http://www.amazon.co.uk/SnowFox-XT105-Card-MP3-Player/dp/B000F9TD1S
I couldn't find that unit here in the states. Instead I found the Sandisk Sansa online. It costs about $45 (because it has 4 GB of onboard memory).

But I found another solution ... quite by accident.

While unpacking the Christmas decorations today, I found a small Sandisk MP3 that one of my daughters left behind when she moved away. Runs on a single AAA battery. Has 256 MB of memory ... plenty enough for what I need.

I hooked it up and it works. Just dump some MP3's from the PC into the player, take it to the piano, and plug it's headphone output into the amplifier. Works fine.

Better yet, this unit has the A/B capability. I can mark any start point and stop point in a piece, and that segment will play repeatedly. That's just what I need when learning a difficult piece. (Most of them are difficult!) smile

Thanks again for the idea, KJ.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission