Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1285268 - 10/12/09 04:05 AM What are Black Friday sales like at music stores (in U.S.)?
Thelonius One Offline

Loc: Michigan
I'm planning on buying a digital piano soon, more than likely from Guitar Center, but possibly online. If I don't cave in, I am planning to wait until Black Friday, but I wasn't sure if places like Guitar Center or the online stores have big discounts on that day. If so, then I may try to go for a Yamaha or Korg, if they're offering bigger discount, instead of my original plan to buy a Casio PX-130. Any experience here?

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1285324 - 10/12/09 07:38 AM Re: What are Black Friday sales like at music stores (in U.S.)? [Re: Thelonius One]
Gyro Offline
4000 Post Club Member

The impression I have is that,
for digital pianos at least, the
best prices in brick and mortar
stores are after Christmas. Then
there is extreme price slashing,
and you can get great deals
on digitals.

Online stores don't seem to
have these types of sales, since
they claim that their prices
are always lower than in brick
and mortar stores. However,
many of them have beat-any-price
policies, and if you say that
such and such store is selling
a certain digital for some price,
they might beat it.

#1285980 - 10/13/09 09:22 AM Re: What are Black Friday sales like at music stores (in U.S.)? [Re: Gyro]
munkeegutz Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
I'm pretty curious about this too. Anyone else have an opinion?

#1286387 - 10/13/09 08:55 PM Re: What are Black Friday sales like at music stores (in U.S.)? [Re: munkeegutz]
KeepItInC Offline

Loc: Southeast
In days of old it benefited those who had contained their excitement and waited for that magical period of Dec 26th to Dec 31st. otherwise known as month/year end. A lot of brick and mortars will have the latitude to give you a bit more off at that time than what you might have negotiated prior to Christmas to get that last minute business booked.

But be realistic … no reason to open up the store if your gonna give the goods away.

What would concern me now is inventory depth. I’m guessing dealers are not going deep these days so make sure you know that they have enough of what you want to play some poker with em. You might even want to have a favorite 2nd choice at another dealer to compare your opportunities.

Drives em nuts.

Did me.

Former retail piano sales

#1286623 - 10/14/09 07:48 AM Re: What are Black Friday sales like at music stores (in U.S.)? [Re: KeepItInC]
MarkL Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago Suburban
There's a bit of a random element to getting the best price because the price breaks come from different sources. I waited to buy a P140 until the store was giving away the stand as part of a sale price, and Yamaha happened to have a $100 rebate going on. Those two things together made it the best price I had found after watching for a long time. It seemed to me like there were "sales" going on all the time, but some sales were better than others.

#1286676 - 10/14/09 09:11 AM Re: What are Black Friday sales like at music stores (in U.S.)? [Re: MarkL]
DragonPianoPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
I don't pay much attention to the Black Friday sales, but I can say that Guitar Center generally has a big sale over the Labor Day weekend.

Rich

#1286940 - 10/14/09 02:53 PM Re: What are Black Friday sales like at music stores (in U.S.)? [Re: Gyro]
Thelonius One Offline

Thanks for all the replies. Definitely really helpful.

Originally Posted By: Gyro
The impression I have is that,
for digital pianos at least, the
best prices in brick and mortar
stores are after Christmas. Then
there is extreme price slashing,
and you can get great deals
on digitals.

Not sure I can wait though! I was planning to buy one this month, but then my car broke down, and after repairs and everything, it came up to about $1200. I'm not as eager as before now, but Christmas might be too long.

Originally Posted By: Gyro
Online stores don't seem to
have these types of sales, since
they claim that their prices
are always lower than in brick
and mortar stores. However,
many of them have beat-any-price
policies, and if you say that
such and such store is selling
a certain digital for some price,
they might beat it.

Yeah, I figured that. When the online stores match prices, does that include when another store is having a bigger sale or discount?

#1286942 - 10/14/09 02:55 PM Re: What are Black Friday sales like at music stores (in U.S.)? [Re: Thelonius One]
DragonPianoPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
FYI: Guitar center matches prices. Just bring in a copy of a webpage (dated) or add and make sure it is not for a B-Stock item.

#1287118 - 10/14/09 07:40 PM Re: What are Black Friday sales like at music stores (in U.S.)? [Re: Thelonius One]
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Thelonius One
I'm planning on buying a digital piano soon, more than likely from Guitar Center, but possibly online. If I don't cave in, I am planning to wait until Black Friday, but I wasn't sure if places like Guitar Center or the online stores have big discounts on that day. If so, then I may try to go for a Yamaha or Korg, if they're offering bigger discount, instead of my original plan to buy a Casio PX-130. Any experience here?

I don't know about that day, but the online stores are regularly having sales, including Guitar Center. Sometimes they're not advertised online though. If by big discount you mean 10 to 20% I'm sure you'll find one by the end of the year, and the online sellers match prices.

#1287129 - 10/14/09 08:03 PM Re: What are Black Friday sales like at music stores (in U.S.)? [Re: Nikalette]
bitWrangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Central TX
Guitar Center had 15% off across the board last Black Friday.

#1308537 - 11/19/09 01:49 PM Re: What are Black Friday sales like at music stores (in U.S.)? [Re: bitWrangler]
Thelonius One Offline

It would be nice since Black Friday is coming to try post whatever Black Friday, and also Cyber Monday, sales we see. I've been going to Guitar Center's and Woodwind/Brasswind website and a few local site here in Michigan, but haven't seen anything yet.

#1308542 - 11/19/09 02:00 PM Re: What are Black Friday sales like at music stores (in U.S.)? [Re: Thelonius One]
munkeegutz Offline

I bet we'll start to see some sales advertisements this monday...

#1308634 - 11/19/09 04:56 PM Re: What are Black Friday sales like at music stores (in U.S [Re: munkeegutz]
hIt0sAwA Offline

Loc: South CA
Originally Posted By: munkeegutz
I bet we'll start to see some sales advertisements this monday...

Alright everyone...everybody talks about sale and black friday...but WHERE to see the ad??? smile
I know a pretty good site, but never did i see a digital piano posted. http://www.gottadeal.com/
not to kill time,
but to enjoy time.

#1308635 - 11/19/09 04:59 PM Re: What are Black Friday sales like at music stores (in U.S [Re: hIt0sAwA]
hIt0sAwA Offline

Loc: South CA
by the way, for px130: http://www.kraftmusic.com/search/index.asp?query=Casio+PX-130
kraftmusic is a good online store, i assume. I bought my YDP 223 (complete bundle w survivor kit, book, cover, chair, headphone, lamp) for 1633 w free shipping. A great deal of that time!
not to kill time,
but to enjoy time.

#1308700 - 11/19/09 06:10 PM Re: What are Black Friday sales like at music stores (in U.S [Re: hIt0sAwA]
gerardo1000 Offline

I just received a mailing from Guitar Center: 15% discount on ANY item on Friday 27, 10 % discount on ANY item on Saturday, and $50 discount on any purchase over $340 until December 24.

#1308903 - 11/19/09 11:17 PM Re: What are Black Friday sales like at music stores (in U.S [Re: gerardo1000]
leocuellar Offline

Loc: Monterrey, Mexico
Maybe this will be helpful. No info about GC so far, but maybe in a few days something appears.

http://www.blackfriday.info/sales/

#1308934 - 11/20/09 12:32 AM Re: What are Black Friday sales like at music stores (in U.S [Re: leocuellar]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
When I was looking at this time last year, there weren't any spectacular bargains between Black Friday and Christmas. I think you will find better and more bargains after the holidays. Check out Guitar Center clearance event that runs the whole month of January.

#1308937 - 11/20/09 12:38 AM Re: What are Black Friday sales like at music stores (in U.S [Re: bitWrangler]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: bitWrangler
Guitar Center had 15% off across the board last Black Friday.

I get those all the time, in mail and email. You have to read the fine print. Below is a quote from the last fine print I got.

"Certain items from Ampeg, Behringer, Bugera, Buffet Pro, Epiphone, Gibson, Ibanez, Korg, Mackie, Marshall, Monster Cable, Pearl, Roland, Tama and Vox may not qualify for this offer. Products from Adam, Apple Computer, Fender, Gretsch, Jackson, Charvel, Squier, and Yamaha do not qualify for this offer."

So the Casios will be discounted but not Yamaha, Korg or Roland.

One trick: Everyone price matches and offers to give you 10% of the difference. So The last thing I bought I found the most expensive place and bought it there. This way I maximized the "10% of difference" part. I think I made $10 that way. It was on a guitar amp at GC and a competitor was running a sale. So when you see a sale, go some place else.

#1309893 - 11/21/09 04:11 PM Re: What are Black Friday sales like at music stores (in U.S [Re: ChrisA]
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

In my career I have worked in several stores and for several chains of piano stores. Most, put their holiday prices on sometime about now and run with them until after the end of the year. I have niever known lower prices on Black Friday or after Christmas. I cannot speak for MI chains or big box mass merchandisers.

#1312231 - 11/25/09 03:07 PM Re: What are Black Friday sales like at music stores (in U.S [Re: Marty Flinn]
Thelonius One Offline

I found this for Guitar Center on one of those coupon/ad message boards:

http://www.daddyodeals.com/phpBB/guitar-...ls-t124388.html

$100 off $500, $50 off 350-499.99, $25 off 199-349.99

You've been selected to receive this incredible Black Friday Early Bird private offer. The holiday season is here and Guitar Center wants to help you make the season even better.

We have stocked up on thousands of items and are offering you three ways to save on these items before they sell out.

Combine that with our already Guaranteed Lowest Price and you can get a seriously sweet deal on gear!

Browse, order and ship items directly from www.GuitarCenter.com using code: GOBBLE

Happy Holidays and happy shopping!

Your friends at www.GuitarCenter.com

#1312237 - 11/25/09 03:16 PM Re: What are Black Friday sales like at music stores (in U.S [Re: Thelonius One]
Thelonius One Offline

Also, I just looked at Musician's Friend and they're having discounts on certain brands. The Yamaha P85 is going for $429.00, which is the cheapest I've seen it.

http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.co...1+708854+304264

#1312475 - 11/25/09 09:43 PM Re: What are Black Friday sales like at music stores (in U.S [Re: Thelonius One]
munkeegutz Offline

yeah I saw the same deal--only caveat is that youll be waiting 2.5 weeks for it to ship...theyre out now (big surprise lol)

#1312495 - 11/25/09 10:22 PM Re: What are Black Friday sales like at music stores (in U.S [Re: Thelonius One]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Was just in Guitar Center a couple hours ago. Casio PX-130 is marked at $399. Available at that price today. A very few other prices have been lowed a little but nothing like the $100 off on the px133

Also I got mail that Sam Ash is off. They are doing "$150 off on $1,500: or more and similar which amounts to less than 10%. I'm totally un-impressed.

#1312530 - 11/26/09 12:17 AM Re: What are Black Friday sales like at music stores (in U.S [Re: ChrisA]
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
does anyone find any discount on P155? that's what i really want to know. i'd go to some music stores on Friday to see if they have any P155 on sale.

#1312559 - 11/26/09 01:12 AM Re: What are Black Friday sales like at music stores (in U.S [Re: signa]
munkeegutz Offline

thats what Im waiting for my friend. Im hoping for a 20% off somewhere so I can bargin for a sweet deal.

#1312602 - 11/26/09 03:29 AM Re: What are Black Friday sales like at music stores (in U.S [Re: ChrisA]
Sean M. Offline

Regarding the PX-130 spotted for $399:

I'm about to buy a PX-130 at the Guitar Center in my town, and the guy is giving me a deal at $425.

Is there a flyer or advertisement for the one in your town I can find online, so I can show him and hopefully get the same deal where I live? (In Oregon?)

Edited by Sean M. (11/26/09 03:30 AM)

#1312623 - 11/26/09 04:40 AM Re: What are Black Friday sales like at music stores (in U.S [Re: Sean M.]
EmmaElise Offline

Loc: N. California
If you go to the following link, you will find a coupon for 20% off an order of $500 or more at Music123. It's a sweet deal! It does expire 11-30, though!

http://www.dealtaker.com/Music123-coupon-code-a273-c.html

Happy shopping!!

#1313005 - 11/26/09 11:11 PM Re: What are Black Friday sales like at music stores (in U.S [Re: EmmaElise]
AlgomaDave Offline

If anyone considers this, go to Resellerratings.com first and look up the rating for Music123, then decide.

#1313023 - 11/26/09 11:42 PM Re: What are Black Friday sales like at music stores (in U.S [Re: AlgomaDave]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Originally Posted By: AlgomaDave
If anyone considers this, go to ResellerRatings.com first and look up the rating for Music123, then decide.
That is excellent advice. I go there any time I think about buying online.

In this case (music123.com), the rating is HORRIBLE! Of the first 30 feedback listings, 23 were negative. (On a scale of 1 to 5, these 23 buyers gave a 1 rating.)

BEWARE!

#1313035 - 11/27/09 12:23 AM Re: What are Black Friday sales like at music stores (in U.S [Re: MacMacMac]
limavady Offline

Loc: California
wow I thought music123 along with a couple of other guys, wwbw for one, were now owned by Musicians Friend so i wonder what it is about them that's so bad....do the employees drop alot of boxes in the warehouse or something? I think it was wwbw who had the 20% off any item on labor day but when i called back to place the order they were actually closed, the customer service there isn't 24 hours, so i called Musicians friend and asked if they'd match that current 20% off and they did. So if someone wanted the P155 and it 20% that would be $960 and it couldn't hurt to call another store and ask if they'd match if you were for some reason afraid of some place's rating from that site.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
116 registered (Atrys, AZ_Astro, accordeur, antony, AZNpiano, 29 invisible), 1333 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153514 Topics
2249603 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Morning Mist: a ballade for piano
by JoelW
04/17/14 12:27 AM
Insanity
by Polyphonist
04/16/14 11:55 PM
Yamaha P140 sluggish keys : how to fix?
by Bambell
04/16/14 11:52 PM
Cristina Perri - HUMAN piano cover
by SAO
04/16/14 11:12 PM
Valentina Lisitsa plays Michael Nyman!!
by ShiroKuro
04/16/14 10:17 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission