Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
91 registered (Alan Cyr, AZNpiano, ando, Augustina, Anticlock, 22 invisible), 1122 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1313232 - 11/27/09 10:18 AM Breaking in New Piano - Is this normal?
Rob Peloski Offline

Hello. First post for me on these forums.

I recently upgraded my aging used Willis upright to a nice new Yamaha T118PE. I love the sound from the new piano and the action is a million times better than the old piano. It is very enjoyable to play for the most part.

Anyhow, this is day 3 of me owning it. It was serviced before leaving the warehouse but I'm finding a few little "glitches" here and there. Something seems to vibrate inside the piano if I play middle C repeatedly and loudly, I also have a couple of keys that started making a little noise (one a faint "scraping" another a very faint "clicking")

Lastly, I think the damper pedal needs a bit of adjusting - I think there is a little too much play when the pedal returns to the top position and it makes a little noise (although not noticeable when playing)

My thoughts are that the Piano is brand new out of the box and is thus getting "broken in" and "used to the environment" (I'm planning on getting a dampp-chaser but currently humidity in the room is 40%). I have the technician coming reasonably soon to make some adjustments.

However, I still wonder if this is "normal" for a new piano or not as I don't have any experience with a brand new piano.

Any thoughts would be welcome!

Rob

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1313236 - 11/27/09 10:24 AM Re: Breaking in New Piano - Is this normal? [Re: Rob Peloski]
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
It is normal.

Just be sure to point them out to the tech.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#1313279 - 11/27/09 11:56 AM Re: Breaking in New Piano - Is this normal? [Re: Steve Cohen]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Steve is right, Rob; these kinds of settling-in issues are perfectly normal and occur with any new acoustic piano. The best advice I got was to keep a notepad near the piano and just write down every little buzz, squeak, or odd thing I noticed. If the list is very long, you may want to give the dealer/tech a heads up when you schedule your first visit so they can budget a little extra time to deal with them.

Congratulations on your new piano! smile

#1313302 - 11/27/09 12:39 PM Re: Breaking in New Piano - Is this normal? [Re: Monica K.]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
also.. play the dickens out of it... with lots of power and repetition.

simply giving it a good workout will work out at least a few of those bugs.. many of the noises will just dissappear as the things settle in.

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)

#1313368 - 11/27/09 02:02 PM Re: Breaking in New Piano - Is this normal? [Re: apple*]
Rob Peloski Offline

Thanks for all the response!

I know it is not a Steinway Grand (or equivalent if you prefer another brand) but it is still what I would consider a decent sized purchase. I lurked around here, shopped around, tried a bunch of pianos in the same price range (and above, there was a 30yr old Steinway and I also tried a Yamaha C7 amongst other higher end uprights) and found that I liked the Yamaha the best. I then had my aunt (who happens to be a piano tech) take a look at it (she gave it the thumbs up). At the start though, I'm using the dealers technician since it is included as part of the service.

I'm looking forward to enjoying it for some time to come...even tracked down my childhood piano teacher and she's interested in me resuming some lessons (I tinker a lot on pieces above my level but need proper instruction) I'm damn nervous for tomorrow since I know I've forgotten some theory/technique but I hope I can get into it again quickly.

If I eventually outgrow it (I'd have to be extremely good by my own standards), I'm happy to know that I'll still have an excellent second piano for the house (or for someone in my family). Of course my next house will have to be considerably larger to house a grand.

For anyone else who is still shopping, don't get too scared by some of the more experienced people who will "nit pick" everything to death. I don't mean that in a derogatory way to them either...if you eat/sleep and breathe piano all your life you earn the right to be very detail oriented when it comes to your instrument. In the end it still comes down partially to personal preference...two high end pianos can sound different without one being "better" I'd take note of "poor quality manufacturers" but in the end get the instrument that feels and sounds the best to you in the price range that you can comfortably afford.

#1313371 - 11/27/09 02:10 PM Re: Breaking in New Piano - Is this normal? [Re: Rob Peloski]
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: Rob P
Hello.

My thoughts are that the Piano is brand new out of the box and is thus getting "broken in" and "used to the environment"

However, I still wonder if this is "normal" for a new piano or not as I don't have any experience with a brand new piano.

Any thoughts would be welcome!

Rob

Normal for being out of the box, if a dealer preps the piano before delivery it would not be normal.
You did ask for any thoughts.

Exclusive Dealer For Charles R. Walter Pianos
www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#1313449 - 11/27/09 04:50 PM Re: Breaking in New Piano - Is this normal? [Re: Rob Peloski]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Rob P

I'm looking forward to enjoying it for some time to come...even tracked down my childhood piano teacher and she's interested in me resuming some lessons (I tinker a lot on pieces above my level but need proper instruction) I'm damn nervous for tomorrow since I know I've forgotten some theory/technique but I hope I can get into it again quickly.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how quickly it all comes back to you. And now that you have your piano, come join us on the Adult Beginners forum. It's for restarters, too, and you'll find lots of company and support there. smile

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
anyone... listening to Greek Radio?
by Nikolas
11/27/14 12:38 AM
Weber piano sonatas: a "hidden" treasure
by jeffreyjones
11/27/14 12:32 AM
Yamaha Avantgrand N1 manufacturing date
by farain
11/26/14 11:12 PM
Is it really possible to ignore fingerings?
by bjorn of brekkukot
11/26/14 08:29 PM
Recording equipment advice
by aceydawg
11/26/14 07:48 PM
Forum Stats
77064 Members
42 Forums
159386 Topics
2341327 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission