2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, 3 invisible), 1,300 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
I am seriously considering buying for $700.00 a Casio PX330 to replace my 4 year old Casio 100. It sounds louder with better piano samples than my 100. However, I would play them mano a mano at home for a while, to compare the piano samples and the touch, as the dealer is very helpful. What do you folks think of this piano/keyboard, especially considering the price point, which is very important to me? I am also considering buying the H2 Zoom Digital Recorder so I can use the mikes or input functions to make mp3 files. Any thoughts? Thanks so much in advance.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Can't comment on the Casio, but I own an H2 and I love it. Not sure what you mean by "input functions". It does have an input jack to accomodate an external mic. I guess I'm not sure if you could connect the line out from the DP to the line in jack on the recorder, I've never tried that.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
There's a long thread discussing the new Privias here at the forum. Look here: https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...ew%20PX%20130,%20PX%20330,%20PX%207.html

The samples and touch are indeed better, since I can feel and hear a significant improvement in my PX-730 compared to the PX-720, which was from the previous generation. I believe your PX-100 is from an even earlier generation.

Regarding the H2 Zoom Digital Recorder, honestly, getting one defeats the purpose (or at least one of the purposes) of buying a DP. One of the functions of digital pianos is MIDI output (data of notes recorded from your DP). MIDI data can be transferred over to the computer, edited, and output as MP3 or any other format. The sound will be much cleaner than if you used a mic to record from the DP as the mic will pick up artifacts (from the speakers, environment...), while MIDI data stores notes only so the resulting MP3 file will be as good as your performance and tweaks. External recorders are best suited for acoustic pianos.

P.S. It's now much more convenient to transfer MIDI data from DP to computer due to the built-in USB ports in the the new Privia models. Before, you had to buy a MIDI to USB device.

Working on: Schumann Album for the Young, Clementi Op 36 No. 1 (all movements), Various Bach, Czerny 599
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Sanfyman
I am seriously considering buying for $700.00 a Casio PX330... What do you folks think of this piano/keyboard, especially considering the price point, which is very important to me?

If price is an issue why not the px130 for $200 less. The keyboard and piano sounds are identical. I guess you must want the other features.

The H2 is an expensive way to make MP3 files because it has a microphone that you don't need. If you already own a computer you may find that all you need is a USB cable (and software) or a simple audio interface. But the H2 does allow you to capture the audio without a computer.

Speaking of the px 120 and 130. Does Casio release a new PX DP every single year? So next august we will see the release of the px140? I would hope not, but that's the vibe I'm getting.

I ask because that would be a consideration in your DP purchasing choice, I would think.

Last edited by NoFingers; 11/24/09 01:41 AM.
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks so much for all the helpful replies so far.

First, The PX 330 seemed to sound louder with deeper bass tones than the 130 to me. Are the speakers bigger in the 330? They look like they are. Is the amperage different? My main interest is in the variety of piano samples in the 330.

Next, When I play the MIDI recording back, it uses whatever sound/tone generator the host computer/listener has. I want my recordings to be in MP3 format so MY actual piano sample is being heard. I know of no other way to do this but to use something like an H2 Zoom or similar product. I wondered if a direct connection from the DP to the Zoom would give better sound fidelity. But, the H2 Zoom has 1/8th inch inputs. My current Casio PX100 has two 1/8th headphone outs, but this does not seem like a good idea. Even if I owned the PX330, the Ext Aud Out is 1/4 inch. Great for going to an amp, but if the Casio is loud enough, I won't need an amp. Still the recording problem remains. My friend suggests I listen to sound samples of the small digital recorders at Wingfieldaudio.com. He suggests that the Sony versions are more costly but better.

What do you folks think?

Best,

Sandy

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
As far as the Zoom or other digital recorders, I would only invest in one of these if you also need to record an acoustic piano or need the portability.

It would be a better investment to buy a USB or Firewire audio interface and the correct cables to go from the line out (not headphones out) of the Privia to the inputs on this interface. I use a Firebox to do this and it also gives me MIDI input for us with Reaper running Galaxy II as a VSTi.

From the manual for the H2, it looks like it will work as an audio interface. It will not give you MIDI features, however. Note that you can typically find decent USB audio interfaces for about $100 and up.

Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
S
S
According to the Privia website, the PX-130 and PX-330 both have two 13cm x 6cm speakers, 8 watts each.

The PX-330 seems to have "Line Out" outputs on it, one left and one right, both 1/4". Your computer sound card most likely has a "Line In" input which is a single stereo 1/8" connection.

A cable such as this should do the trick:

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Wire-TRS-Dual-Cable/dp/B001G7HDKQ

Then you could record the sound of your keyboard on the computer, even using a freeware audio program such as Audacity.

S
OP Offline
S
Two very helpful responses. Thanks.

Let me see if I understand you. If I use Audacity, which I have now, and the Y cable you mentioned from the new Privia to the sound card, then, all I need to do is play/send the recorded tune on the Privia to Audacity, and I will get the EXACT piano sample sound from my keyboard. I would bypass MIDI altogether.

Do I have that right? If so, that would be terrific. No need for mikes/audio digital recorders.

(Now that I think of it, I currently use Audacity to record cassette tapes on direct input and it works fine, as long as my tape deck has a choice of mic and other out).

Eagerly awaiting your response. Thanks a lot.

Sandy

S
OP Offline
S
Do you think that Sean M.'s suggestion, which I responded too, would work well? I would not need any further hardware, it would seem.

Sandy

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
T... If I use Audacity, which I have now, and the Y cable you mentioned from the new Privia to the sound card, then, all I need to do is play/send the recorded tune on the Privia to Audacity, and I will get the EXACT piano sample sound from my keyboard. I would bypass MIDI altogether.

Yes exactly correct. The quality of the recording will be limited only by the quality of your computer's audio input interface.

The sound will be better then you could do by mic'ing the speaker but depending on how good the computer's audio input is you may find you want to upgrade to a better quality USB audio interface. Try it and see.

The advantage of going through MIDI is that you bypass your Casio samples and can use much higher quality samples from a third party. But if you want to record your piano's samples the direct to computer method will do that.

O
O
Originally Posted by Sean M.
According to the Privia website, the PX-130 and PX-330 both have two 13cm x 6cm speakers, 8 watts each.

The US Casio site shows they are the same but this spec comparison shows that they are different. The px-130 has one round 12cm speaker per channel and the px-330 has the 13cm x 6cm speaker and a 5cm round speaker per channel.

But, in any case, the sound out of the built in speakers is not nearly as good as through headphones or good powered monitors. I have the px-330 and mostly use headphones when I practice even though I don't have to worry about being quiet or about external noise. They just sound so much better.

Maybe Mike Martin can clear it up? Now I'm curious what they have. I'm going to check my 330 when I get home.

Last edited by Oolong; 11/25/09 03:51 PM.
S
OP Offline
S
Oolong is correct about the extra speakers on the PX330. I checked the specs in the manual at the dealer.

Using Audacity, I ran from the 3.55 mm headphones out on my PX100 (The only audio outs I have on it)to my Live Value audio card. I thought the sound could be better. Some clipping I believe, I adjusted the volume, which seemed to help somewhat.

Can I assume that the 1/4 inch outs from the PX330 to my live card (converting to 3.55mm at the stereo input/line in) will give me better sound? I would think that headphones out gave different audio/electronic properties than 1/4 inch outs.

Finally, for the 700 bucks (plus, I may be able to get 15% off) do you folks have any other DP recommendations?

Thanks so much for your help thus far. You guys have been great.

Sandy

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Sanfyman,
Depends on what you want on your DP, and how much you want to spend? In the $700 range, the Casio is probably your best bet for a weighted piano. You could look at the used market, but be careful here. Unless you're willing to consider the Williams pianos or an unweighted synth, you're would be looking at spending more money for a Roland or Yamaha. If you have $1200, the Yamaha P-155 is a good choice. You won't get the sounds or accompaniment, but you could do that in software hooked up to a computer.

H
H
Finally, for the 700 bucks (plus, I may be able to get 15% off) do you folks have any other DP recommendations

For that price I took a look at sweetwater. The absolutely best bang for the buck is:

Korg SP250

In Europe, Korg SP250 normally goes for about 700 €. It's a heavy beast if you want to carry it around, 19 kg. But it has the (click link) most fantastic keyboard for that price.

The only drawback compared to the Privia, is that you loose those 200 non-piano voices. Some people has complained that the Korg SP250 has a little weaker sound compared to Yamahas, but nevertheless people has bought the Korg, because of the excellent, realistic feeling keyboard.

When I tried it out in the shop, I liked the soft sound of the Korg SP250 and would say that the sound was better than my Yamaha P-85 and I agree that the Korg has a better keyboard than the P-85.

I guess everything boils down to; if you want to hear nice music while playing or if you want to train your fingers for the most acoustic piano-like keyboard possible?

I would like to hear someone else's opinion about the sound of the Korg SP250 as it has only 1-level sampling, and the PX-330 has 4-levels of sampling.

P-85 cheap plastic imitation; not because of sound, but weight.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The Yamaha P-85, of which I own two (along with a CP-300 and HP-1700 that are too heavy to gig with) has a reasonably realistic action, and a very good piano sound.

I use my P-85's for gigging, both for controlling an arranger or workstation, as well as utilizing it's internal sounds.

Best bang for the buck out there, in my opinion.

As you see, there will be many opinions on what to get, so, my advice would be to spend some time playing different instruments, and find what gives you the best combination of piano sound and realistic feel, for the amount you have to spend.

Yamaha's also fetch better selling prices and higher trade in values compared to Casio; you will probably want something else in a few years time, so it is something to consider.

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
H
H
Originally Posted by snazzyplayer
The Yamaha P-85, of which I own two (along with a CP-300 and HP-1700 that are too heavy to gig with) has a reasonably realistic action, and a very good piano sound.

I would say that my P-85 has:

- weak speakers
- some of the black keys are not 100% proportional weighted
- few voices (I lack honky tonk / jazz piano)
- only 1-level sampling sound

My guess is that you use external speakers, which might give a better sound from the P-85?

The P-85 is good for carrying around, it is light.

H
H
Originally Posted by snazzyplayer
Yamaha's also fetch better selling prices and higher trade in values compared to Casio; you will probably want something else in a few years time, so it is something to consider.

Yamaha's also fetch higher selling prices and same trade in values compared to Casio; you will probably want something else in a five years time, so any $700 DP today will sell for at most $200 at that time.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yep, and I bet that's why you bought your Yamaha P-85.

I've had no issues with my P-85's as far as the actions....speakers could be better, but for the price, they are more than adequate.

The piano sound works fine for classical and jazz, in my opinion, and Honky Tonk is so '20's. wink

To me these cheap pianos like the P-85 and PX-330 are like BIC lighters...use them for time, give them to the needy (or your kids, or the ex-wife), and then buy a new model.

My CP-300 and HP-1700 are keepers.

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks, Galaxy4t,

I sold my Casio PX 100 yesterday and bought the Casio PX330 locally just today. I've still to try it out in my house (in about 5 minutes I will). For 600 bucks I feel pretty good about the bang for my buck. I also ordered the black wooden keyboard stand for stability.

Just found out that there are more than two piano sounds on the Casio accessed by using the arrow keys. The other sounds (voices), except for the drums, I will probably never use.

I'll let you guys know what I think of it. I understand that it's a Casio, but for my needs, playing and composing music to record, I'm thinking I will be happy. There is a three day return policy.

I may need to get a newer audio card and a USB MIDI interface. Hopefully, with Audacity, I won't need an H2 Zoom or something similar.

Thanks to all you folks for your help. I'll get back to you.

Best,

Sandy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission