2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 1,994 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
P
Originally Posted by jotur
Just thought I'd give another perspective on the "number of posts" thing. I'll leave "average number of posts per day" as an exercise for the student (as the joke about math teachers goes).

Or the musical equivalent: "and then just learn it in all 12 keys" wink

I know this has nothing to do with the original post (but I'm not exactly the first off-topic one here), but I did look up Mark's video that he referenced, and I'm impressed. wow

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I think I only knew 4 of them for sure before the final debacle, but then he 'fessed up to a couple more....

For better or worse, probably mostly the latter, I'll never be anyone but myself. ha

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by peejay
Just thought I'd give another perspective on the "number of posts" thing. I'll leave "average number of posts per day" as an exercise for the student (as the joke about math teachers goes).

Or the musical equivalent: "and then just learn it in all 12 keys" wink

laugh

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Originally Posted by peejay
....I know this has nothing to do with the original post (but I'm not exactly the first off-topic one here), but I did look up Mark's video that he referenced, and I'm impressed. wow

Well I think that's much more important than the topic at hand! ha

But seriously folks.......thanks very much peejay -- much much appreciated.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've read that it takes 7 times as much effort to "unlearn" something that you learned incorrectly, that is actually a good thing if you learn correctly the first time.

Mark, I watched your video and pretty much read all your posts. I find you quite entertaining and it seems that since you came onboard the forums have never stop moving right along at a nice clip. BTW - You look like Picard to me ( very cool ). You really do seem to stir up emotions and thoughts that encourage members to post more than usual. I think we have seen a lot of very good exchanges as a result and maybe some folks allowed more of themselves than intended. Levelheaded counterpoints were appreciated by me anyway, even learned a few things Thanks and keep posting.
Richard

Old Wulitzer
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
"Un sot trouve toujours un plus sot qui l'admire." —Nicholas Boileau-Despréaux

Originally Posted by sotto voce
"Un sot trouve toujours un plus sot qui l'admire." —Nicholas Boileau-Despréaux
Comme d'habitude!

sotto voce,

You have some nerve calling me a fool!
At what point did I lower myself to namecalling?
Because you quote in French?
Nice.

I don't think I implied I admire Mark Cannon, I simply said I thought he was entertaining.
That does not call for your insulting remark.
Richard

Old Wulitzer
KeyboardKlutz,
The "usual" areas I would like to place myself here is to say that I think you, and sotto voce are terrific pianists. If I were to "admire" someone it would be someone who has demonstrated a great talent as you both have, as Mark has. I have listened to some of your postings and I can only hope that in a few years from now that I can play nearly as well as both of you do, usually, and be a surprise.
Richard

Old Wulitzer
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Richard,

Boileau was making a broad observation about the ease with which certain people capture the attention and adulation of others. Even if it's not applicable to this specific instance, I still think it has general relevance.

I'm sure you knew when you voiced your opinion that others wouldn't necessarily share it, but they're effectively muzzled from expressing themselves by the "If you can't say anything good, don't say anything" ethos that prevails here. By offering instead an aphorism from a learned Gallic scholar, I meant no offense to you and I apologize if any was taken.

Steven

Steven, Thank you for the apology, It is accepted - I was offended as I am sure it was not hard to tell. I am well aware of the differences of opinions that you and a few others share concerning Mark Cannon. I thought I was just expessing my thoughts and felt, and still feel, that I was taking no sides or supporting anyones viewpoint. I am a raw beginner and pretty new to the forum. I take great pleasure taking in the wealth of talent and knowledge that members here have acquired with years of effort. Since even I could see that there was a good deal of tension all through the thread I would have been wise to place my comments in a calmer atmosphere. Up until these little "events" take place further into some threads, members like you and keyboardklutz, passion and many others display and post a tremendous knowledge of music and education - and I am grateful for those gifts on Piano World.
Again, thank you,
Richard

Old Wulitzer
Originally Posted by barricwiley77
members like you and keyboardklutz, passion and many others display and post a tremendous knowledge of music and education -
Passion!? What was 'educational' about his bizarre, homophobic and scattalogical references in the 'No Fun' thread? That, in my time here at PW, has gotta be the most abusive post I've seen.

Keyboardklutz - I agree - don't know what got into me.
I think I will go for the mentioned muzzle.
Richard

Last edited by barricwiley77; 12/01/09 01:00 PM.

Old Wulitzer
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
I just assumed that the name was confused with someone else's.

For what it's worth, Passion has left the building.

Steven

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Keyboardklutz - I agree - don't know what got into me.
I think I will go for the mentioned muzzle.
Richard

laugh

Too funny, and much appreciated.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
F
F
It's amazing how off topic this thread has taken. I am involved in a lot of different forums and quite frankly I'm surprised a moderator has not stepped in yet. Usually these threads have some useful information for myself since a no teacher / self learner to all bad habits type of guy like me needs all the help you can get and will agree this thread did start that way but not for long. lol

While I did pick up some interesting unknown info (Keyboardklutz, I had no idea fingering was as important as it is in reference to Chopin and the like), it has been an entertaining way to start off the morning!

Originally Posted by fanatik22
I am involved in a lot of different forums and quite frankly I'm surprised a moderator has not stepped in yet.
You want to see what goes on before YD gets out of bed!

.....BTW - You look like Picard to me...

Thanks, Richard -- it's better than "Larry David" which is what I usually get.
I think we have seen a lot of very good exchanges as a result and maybe some folks allowed more of themselves than intended. Levelheaded counterpoints were appreciated by me anyway, even learned a few things Thanks and keep posting.

Thanks very much for the props and the encouragement!
But if I keep ruffling feathers in a bad way so often, I'll do something about it -- probably just posting less, which maybe wouldn't hurt anyway. smile

Originally Posted by sotto voce
....I'm sure you knew when you voiced your opinion that others wouldn't necessarily share it, but they're effectively muzzled from expressing themselves by the "If you can't say anything good, don't say anything" ethos that prevails here.....

If part of what you meant was what I think you might have, I thank you anyway for taking a look. smile

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission