Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#1315655 - 12/01/09 05:54 AM December Piano Bar
(Was)TrueBeginner Offline

Loc: Northern VA, US
Here is my contribution for this month. I tried to make something different this time.

http://www.box.net/shared/p76rsmr08q

TB

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1315667 - 12/01/09 07:26 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: (Was)TrueBeginner]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
TB - Is this another original composition? Very pretty. It does create a "blue feeling".
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes

#1315668 - 12/01/09 07:27 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: (Was)TrueBeginner]
Larry Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Carmel, Indiana
Hi TB. Nice job on this song. Did you write it? I'm wondering how it would sound if you voiced the RH louder than the LH to emphasize the melody a little more. I went back and listened to your "Story of a Young Girl" which I like very much. Same voicing issue might apply there too. Maybe I'm just thinking about this voicing thing because that's something my teacher is emphasizing with me right now. It's a real challenge for me to voice LH and RH differently. It makes it even harder to play evenly. Did you record these on your Essex?
www.larrylarsonpiano.com
YouTubeChannel www.youtube.com/LarryLarsonPiano

#1315670 - 12/01/09 07:33 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Larry Larson]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
TB - delightful piece - not so much "blue" as nostalgic - very well played (as we've come to expect) - I admire your compositional skills greatly!

JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1315672 - 12/01/09 07:35 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Larry Larson]
Larry Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi Everybody, here's a song I wrote a couple years ago called "sultry". I remember that the LH came to me first, and I played it over and over for a few days until the RH part "arrived". As you listen, imagine yourself on a hot summer evening relaxing with a glass of iced tea after a hard day's work.

http://www.box.net/shared/6zcz73vdus
www.larrylarsonpiano.com

#1315673 - 12/01/09 07:36 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Larry Larson]
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
Very nice TureBeginner! Very soothing to listen to, and not so blue, (Hey, I like that rhyme!)

Beautiful piece, and beautifully performed!

Maybe I’ll come up with another original for the December bar. You have inspired me!

Rick

#1315683 - 12/01/09 08:09 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: (Was)TrueBeginner]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Laurie has on her Christmas sweater:

The Gounod/Bach Ave Maria. You'll probably recognize the keyboard part, the Bach prelude in C from the WTC book 1. I think it's in the back of Alfred Book 3. Gounod decided that it needed a melody, so he set "Ave Maria" to it. He added a measure in the middle, repeated the first four as an intro, and changed the key. I transposed it back to C to suit the recorder.

Notice my feet tucked up under the bench? No sustain pedal on the harpsichord, or any of the instruments available to Bach. The notes stop sounding when I release the key, so I don't play it as written. Instead I hold the notes until they are plucked again or the end of the measure. Sometimes I have to release a bass note early to move my hand for the next chord. Tuck your foot up under the bench and try this on the piano.

And there are no dynamics on this particular harpsichord, so I can't play any louder or softer...

Anyway, we had fun with it - hope you like it.

Sam

#1315686 - 12/01/09 08:16 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: (Was)TrueBeginner]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

TB, I thought it had a Christmasy feel to it, like some of the more subtle, subdued Christmas music. Very enjoyable.

Sam

#1315718 - 12/01/09 09:32 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Sam S]
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
WoW! You guys don't mess around. It's not even noon yet and already 3 great pieces in the bar!!

Can't believe it's December already!

#1315756 - 12/01/09 10:29 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Triryche]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
TrueBeginner, that's another pretty composition from you! Very delicate and lilting.

Larry, nice jazzy/bluesy piece! I could see the sitting on the porch with iced tea angle, but I could also see it as a Gershwiny strolling around New York City piece, too. smile

Sam, I really enjoyed that duet. I'm amazed at how well the "Ave Maria" works over the Bach prelude. You make me want to learn it so I can talk force my daughter to play her flute with me on it. Give my compliments to Laurie... she confronts that Red Dot like a pro with no sign of nervousness!

#1315767 - 12/01/09 10:38 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Sam S]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Sam, very nice performance. I enjoyed very much listening. Please give my congratulations to Laurie for a fine performance as well!

#1315787 - 12/01/09 11:04 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Strings & Wood]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Ah, True Beginner, what a lovely gift for this morning. I think I'll listen to it every morning, since December is going to be really busy this year with work, and you piece calms the waters. Beautiful.

Cathy

#1315790 - 12/01/09 11:08 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Monica K.]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Larry, loved the piece! Nice use of chords and interesting harmonies. I could really hear this in an orchestra for some reason. smile
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1315821 - 12/01/09 11:51 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Morodiene]

Thanks everyone for listening and commenting. It is my original. I haven't listened to other pieces this month yet, as I am still trying to finish listening to all the recital pieces. I am way behind.

Larry, I recorded it on my Casio Privia via line-in. Originally it came out ok (RH sounds more distinct) but then it had loud static noises when you turned up the volume, which bothered me very much. I put the file through the low pass filter (Audacity) to reduce the static noise and it modified the tone and made it like that. I tried to use equalizer to increase the higher frequency, but it did not help much. I swear it sounds better on my Essex smile Santa really needs to give me a Zoom H2 or H4 this year wink By the way, I love all your compositions and Chris' (Kalai1)

TB

#1315824 - 12/01/09 11:55 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Monica K.]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks Monica, if you want the Bach/Gounod Ave Maria in the key of C just send me a message. Gounod's version is in F which might be awkward on flute. I entered it into Sibelius so I can supply it in any key.

Sam

#1315830 - 12/01/09 11:58 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Sam S]
Monica K. Offline

Ooh... this could well be my first foray into Bach! Let me ask my daughter what key she'd like the piece in and get back to you.

#1315833 - 12/01/09 12:00 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Monica K.]

Excellent, Larry! I really like your original compositions! (The playing is excellent too!)

That is great, Sam!! You and your wife make a great duo!! I enjoyed the PM from you the other day!

Let's see, I wonder if I should record something new, or post something I already have on YT? Some of the stuff I have on YT is over a year old and I would like to think my playing has improved since then. Decisions, decisions! grin

Take care,

Rick

#1315877 - 12/01/09 12:50 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Rickster]
ladypayne Online   content

Loc: AK, USA
Truebeginner, Larry, and Sam: all pretty pieces. I enjoyed listening to them smile nice job!

"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -Ludwig van Beethoven

#1315886 - 12/01/09 01:04 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Truebeginner, great work! Your composition reminded me a bit of an old song called If They Made Me King. You seem to have really good hand independence, keeping those left hand apeggios going while playing different melodies in the right hand. Well done.

Larry, excellent composition. I especially like the ending, where you took a simple line and harmonized it in an unexpected and interesting way. Also - that grace note is in just the right place! Very sultry, indeed! Well done.

Sam and Laurie, I have always felt that was one of the most moving pieces of music ever written. I remember that Duke Ellington said one of the things that drew him to music was that, when he was a kid, his mother played this piece so beautifully that it made him cry. You played it superbly! Nice teamwork.

My piece this month is Blue Trane, by John Coltrane. I am playing the piano, but the drums and bass parts are on a backing track that was provided to me.

http://www.box.net/shared/f1kvi1nk9l

Ed

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

#1315937 - 12/01/09 01:57 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: (Was)TrueBeginner]

Larry, I agree with Monica about your piece, it is bluesy but with all the interesting harmonic chords, it also sounds at the same time modern and urban. so I definitely get the New York city vibe

Sam, that is a very nice rendition of this piece. I think it works well with this two instruments (harpsichord with repeating chords while recorder playing the continuous melody). In this piece, your harpsichord sounds like an acoustic guitar and with the tone of the recorder, it gives a rural folksy feel.

Riddler, I don't know how you did it, but I guess it must be hard to put the drum, the bass and your playing together and synchronize them. Your pieces always sound great and like a full band.

TB

#1315949 - 12/01/09 02:08 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: (Was)TrueBeginner]
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
TB,

I'm on the road so can't find the time to listen to everything on the bar yet ( I can't believe it's already December!!) but I did listen to yours. You really write some very delightful tunes my friend! It does seem blue, kind of longful, to me. I'm down in NY putting up Christmas decorations for my mom and it's kind of sad as my Dad always did it and now he has passed away. Your tune would have been a perfect backdrop for how I felt out in front of the house this morning putting lights on the bushes and railings.

#1315975 - 12/01/09 02:41 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: (Was)TrueBeginner]
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Decatur, Texas
Originally Posted By: TrueBeginner
Here is my contribution for this month. I tried to make something different this time.

http://www.box.net/shared/p76rsmr08q

TB

Wonderful composition TB. Beautifully played with delicate dynamics and feeling.

#1315979 - 12/01/09 02:46 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Larry Larson]
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Larry Larson

Good one larry, a very interesting composition. Like the mood of this one, just not long enough.

#1315984 - 12/01/09 02:51 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Riddler]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Larry - very nice. You are a talented writer and performer. Well done.

Riddler - I really like it when you play upbeat pieces with the band - you are the ABF King of Swing.

Sam and Laurie - Outstanding. I'm glad to see that Laurie finally got to sit down. I love the way the sun is shining on your hands - at first I thought you were wearing Micheal Jackson gloves.

My submission this month is a Piano Bar standard (I think I remember at least two other versions of this song). The introduction was performed by the Roland String Quartet but they left when I started singing - go figure.

#1315987 - 12/01/09 02:54 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Sam S]
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Beautiful duet Sam. You and Laurie make a good team.

The cat likes to take advantage of the photo op huh?

#1315989 - 12/01/09 03:00 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Riddler]
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ed: "Blue Train", very well done, sounds professional just like a trio with the backing and all.

#1315996 - 12/01/09 03:09 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: BillM]
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Bill, one of my favorites and one of the best renditions of "Georgia" I've heard in a while.

Good job.

#1316002 - 12/01/09 03:18 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Studio Joe]
foxyw Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
This is the first time I've submitted something to the piano bar. I hope to do the recital some time also. I've been playing with my Zoom H4n recorder and just recorded Tchaikovsky's Italian Song: http://www.box.net/shared/si0n3x5ybp

Edited by foxyw (12/01/09 03:23 PM)

#1316003 - 12/01/09 03:20 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Studio Joe]

That was great, Bill! You do a wonderful job with the playing and the singing on that song! That is a song I like to play, but my version is no where near as good as yours! Your version sounds more like the record!

(By the way, it ain't easy to play that well and sing too!!:-)

I enjoyed it much!

Rick

#1316014 - 12/01/09 03:28 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: foxyw]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

foxyw - What a delightful piece and performance. I admire the way you kept the tempo bright and lively. The Zoom is working well as the recording was very clean and crisp. Well done.

#1316092 - 12/01/09 05:09 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: BillM]

OK, this is my first time posting a recording, plus my first time using box.net, so hopefully this will work!

This is a piece I wrote several years ago called Trovador:
http://www.box.net/shared/c0bjvfsbbv

#1316101 - 12/01/09 05:22 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Morodiene]

Riddler/Ed, great piece! I enjoyed listening to it.

Morodiene, I enjoyed your original improvision! It was great! Your real piano sounded great too… what kind is it?

IETDPBOTABFT (I’ve enjoyed the December Piano Bar on the Adult

Beginners Forum today!! grin)

Rick

#1316102 - 12/01/09 05:24 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Morodiene]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Morodiene - Wow!! You can really play! I love the energy and emotion of the piece. Nice!

ps. The box.net recording sounds fine.

#1316103 - 12/01/09 05:24 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Rickster]

Originally Posted By: Rickster
Riddler/Ed, great piece! I enjoyed listening to it.

Morodiene, I enjoyed your original improvision! It was great! Your real piano sounded great too… what kind is it?

IETDPBOTABFT (I’ve enjoyed the December Piano Bar on the Adult

Beginners Forum today!! grin)

Rick

Thanks, I have a Petrof concert grand. I really don't have a space that odes it justice though. I should move out to the country and convert a barn into a concert hall! lol

#1316111 - 12/01/09 05:31 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: BillM]

Originally Posted By: b528nf7
Morodiene - Wow!! You can really play! I love the energy and emotion of the piece. Nice!

ps. The box.net recording sounds fine.

Thanks! I was inspired by how a lot of Spanish influenced music combines major and minor modes together and tried to write in that way.

#1316129 - 12/01/09 05:59 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: foxyw]

Originally Posted By: foxyw
This is the first time I've submitted something to the piano bar. I hope to do the recital some time also. I've been playing with my Zoom H4n recorder and just recorded Tchaikovsky's Italian Song: http://www.box.net/shared/si0n3x5ybp

I really enjoyed your playing, foxyw. This is quite a challenging piece with that jumpy LH!

#1316147 - 12/01/09 06:25 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: BillM]
foxyw Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
Bill - very nice! Enjoyed your singing and playing very much! Such a nice voice.

Morodiene - very nice piece! I enjoyed your playing and your piano really sounds great! I like how the piece is both peaceful and intense and has such energy.

Thank you both for your kind comments about my recording of Tchaikovsky's Italian Song. It is a piece that I am just finishing working on with my teacher. It is fun to play and has helped me with phrasing and to learn to better balance the volume in each hand.

#1316195 - 12/01/09 07:36 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: foxyw]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Larry - it evoked more tuxedos-on-the-balcony with stars in the background and a tonic and lime in your hand :eyebrow raising icon here: on a sultry summer night smile Nice composition and playing.

Cathy

#1316228 - 12/01/09 08:32 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: jotur]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Morodiene
liked the way it got denser and denser and almost crazy then suddenly (about 2/3 in) it opens out to complete simplicity again. Thanks smile

TrueBeginner, I started listening and thought 'this is nice' then after a while i noticed i had beeen gazing out of the window at the beautiful garden in a dream - I think yours is very calming music. And the end was intriguing, like a little question.

Foxyw, nice tchaikovsky, and a perfect rendition i think, well I didn't hear any misses smile congratulations on nailing it.

Thats all i've time and brain for now, except that sam's (harpsichord, yay!) bach gounod is going to play for me as I make a pot of tea ready for some practice, thanks in advance sam smile

Edited by Canonie (12/01/09 08:53 PM)

Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

#1316436 - 12/02/09 01:49 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Canonie]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Sam, yours and Laurie's duets are fast becoming some of my favorite music here. This was great - I love your harpsichord smile

Cathy

#1316494 - 12/02/09 05:49 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: jotur]
jis Offline

Hi everybody,

What is the idea behind the 'Piano Bar'? do you send in your performances and recordings by month? What is the difference between the piano bar and member recordings forum?

It is good to hear everybody here is enjoying the music!

www.myspace.com/jismusic2

#1316522 - 12/02/09 07:26 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: jis]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Larry - enjoyed "Sultry", which can be either a hot summer evening or a hot summer evening dress laugh Ice tea would be just fine - or maybe an adult beverage of the Southern kind...

JF

#1316523 - 12/02/09 07:26 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: jis]
Larry Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sam and Laurie, nice job! Brought back memories of my wedding back in '78 when my father in law sang it. What you said about lack of dynamic control on the harpsichord made me think that would be a good instrument for me. Dynamics on the piano is a challenge for me as a recovering accordion player. I think it would be fun to build one from a kit too.
www.larrylarsonpiano.com

#1316524 - 12/02/09 07:30 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Riddler]
Larry Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Riddler, that's nice music. Aren't those backing tracks wonderful? I was just noodling around on my synthesizer yesterday and hearing the percussion tracks always inspires new compositions.
www.larrylarsonpiano.com

#1316526 - 12/02/09 07:34 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: BillM]
Larry Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

b528nf7, very nice job on this one, maybe my favorite of the ones you've posted.. I think the song is very well suited to your voice and style. I love your improvs, you've got good intuitions about this kind of music.
www.larrylarsonpiano.com

#1316527 - 12/02/09 07:34 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Larry Larson]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Sam (and Laurie) - excellent playing on "Ave Maria" - you guys work well together and it must be fun for you - I know it is for us.

You're correct - the Bach Prelude is in the so-called "Ambitious Section" in the back of Alfred 3, and some really good renditions of it can be heard in recent posting in the Alfred 3 thread by Undone , Waltz and TTigg .

JF

#1316644 - 12/02/09 10:25 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Studio Joe]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Studio Joe
Beautiful duet Sam. You and Laurie make a good team.

The cat likes to take advantage of the photo op huh?

Poor Squeaky the gray tabby appears at about a minute into the video. She is mostly deaf. Her ears are locked to the front, never swiveling like a normal cat's. She cannot hear low tones, but she can hear high tones. To get her attention we whistle. Her meow is a pitiful squeak, which is how she got her name. Whenever she hears Laurie's recorder she comes running. I can imagine her saying, "I can hear you! I can hear you!"

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. We do have fun playing together, and that's the most important part.

Sam

#1316745 - 12/02/09 01:20 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: jis]
Larry B Offline

Loc: Boston
Originally Posted By: jis

What is the idea behind the 'Piano Bar'? do you send in your performances and recordings by month? What is the difference between the piano bar and member recordings forum?

I haven't posted to the piano bar myself (yet) but saw no one had answered your question yet and thought I'd take a stab at it.

The member recordings forum seems to be a place where people post for critical feedback. Most of what's there are polished pieces or works-in-progress that a member is looking for constructive critique on. It's kind of a "serious" place (in a good way).

The piano bars are just plain fun. Polished, works-in-progress, just-started-on-it, and everything else in between. Make music. Share music. Enjoy music. It's all good. You can ask for critiques or advice here, too, but mostly it's about the joy of playing and listening.

#1316751 - 12/02/09 01:28 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Larry B]
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Larry,

I tried but I can't feel the summer heat. smile Great tune though.

#1316753 - 12/02/09 01:30 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Peyton]
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Sam, That was wonderful. It must be really nice to have someone to play with like that. You make a good team.

#1316841 - 12/02/09 03:57 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Studio Joe]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Riddler - really, really good stuff! - "Blue Trane" is cool, swinging Coltrane - good gravy, I can remember listening to Coltrane and Miles and The Modern Jazz Quartet & Monk and Cannonball Aderly many years ago on the original vinyl - just marvelous playing thumb

JF

#1316846 - 12/02/09 04:07 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Studio Joe]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Bill - I liked this a lot, as much as anything you've done to date - entertaing version of a great old standard - Ray Charles has to be smiling down on you from that great "Soul Train" in the sky - like the many voices of the Clavinova too (that's what I play).

JF

#1316856 - 12/02/09 04:23 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Larry B]
jis Offline

Quote:
[/quote]I haven't posted to the piano bar myself (yet) but saw no one had answered your question yet and thought I'd take a stab at it.

The member recordings forum seems to be a place where people post for critical feedback. Most of what's there are polished pieces or works-in-progress that a member is looking for constructive critique on. It's kind of a "serious" place (in a good way).

The piano bars are just plain fun. Polished, works-in-progress, just-started-on-it, and everything else in between. Make music. Share music. Enjoy music. It's all good. You can ask for critiques or advice here, too, but mostly it's about the joy of playing and listening.[quote]

Thanks Larry B,

That is a very clear explanation. I think it is good to have two seperate forums! critical comments about your playing or compositions when you're just having fun is not fun!

Jis

www.myspace.com/jismusic2 (for fun AND comments smile )

#1316879 - 12/02/09 04:48 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: TrapperJohn]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: John Frank
- like the many voices of the Clavinova too (that's what I play).

JF

John Frank - Thanks for the kind words. Although I still have and love my Clavinova this piece was performed on my Roland digital grand that I got a couple of months ago.

#1316894 - 12/02/09 05:10 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Studio Joe]
Monica K. Offline

Riddler, I think this is my favorite of your recordings so far. It sounds so polished and professional!

Bill, loved your "Georgia"! You made all those runs sound effortless, and your voice suits the song perfectly. I have to say, though, I could've done without the Roland String Quartet. whome

foxyw: Congratulations on your first-ever piano bar submission! With pieces like that, you'd better submit to the next recital! grin Your Zoom sounds good, too.

Morodiene: You wrote that?! wow That was extremely impressive. I loved how it started off with more of a slower, brooding tango air, and then got increasingly more complex, culminating in that section in the middle where it went all wild... lovely! I hope we can hear more from you. smile

#1316899 - 12/02/09 05:14 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Larry B]
Monica K. Offline

Originally Posted By: Larry B
Originally Posted By: jis

I haven't posted to the piano bar myself (yet) but saw no one had answered your question yet and thought I'd take a stab at it.

The piano bars are just plain fun. Polished, works-in-progress, just-started-on-it, and everything else in between. Make music. Share music. Enjoy music. It's all good. You can ask for critiques or advice here, too, but mostly it's about the joy of playing and listening.

Larry's nailed it. A third option for sharing music is our quarterly AB Forum Recitals (look at the top of the forum page for a thread about the current recital we just hosted).

Welcome to the forum, jis! smile

#1316902 - 12/02/09 05:20 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Monica K.]

Originally Posted By: Monica K.
Riddler, I think this is my favorite of your recordings so far. It sounds so polished and professional!

Bill, loved your "Georgia"! You made all those runs sound effortless, and your voice suits the song perfectly. I have to say, though, I could've done without the Roland String Quartet. whome

foxyw: Congratulations on your first-ever piano bar submission! With pieces like that, you'd better submit to the next recital! grin Your Zoom sounds good, too.

Morodiene: You wrote that?! wow That was extremely impressive. I loved how it started off with more of a slower, brooding tango air, and then got increasingly more complex, culminating in that section in the middle where it went all wild... lovely! I hope we can hear more from you. smile

Thanks so much, Monica. I'm glad you enjoyed it smile. I'm surprised this forum is really the only active one with posting recordings. I suppose it's a bit more open and friendly about it than the Pianists Corner. Still, there are some valuable things that could be learned from the regulars there. But it was fun posting it here!

#1316925 - 12/02/09 05:39 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Morodiene]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
So many wonderful tunes already posted up, very enjoyable.

Here is my crack at it.

I will put up a few more (some old standards and some improvs like this one) as the month progresses.

Happy December!

http://www.box.net/shared/xnb8cyu5de

Glen

March piano audio
https://app.box.com/s/evl3yyp1kj52ve8l069u

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#1316982 - 12/02/09 07:17 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Inlanding]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Riddler/Ed - another great piece. I was groovin' all thru it smile

Cathy

#1317057 - 12/02/09 09:20 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Inlanding]

Originally Posted By: Inlanding

Here is my crack at it.

I will put up a few more (some old standards and some improvs like this one) as the month progresses.

Happy December!

Glen

Very nice, Glen...sounds very much like the winter we should be getting pretty soon here smile

#1317072 - 12/02/09 09:43 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Morodiene]

Hi Inlanding/Glen,

I really enjoyed your musical presentation to the December piano bar! It was great!

The bass on your acoustic piano was superb. What kind of piano do you have? (If you don’t mine me asking.)

Thanks for posting it!

Take care,

Rick

Edited by Rickster (12/02/09 09:45 PM)

#1317074 - 12/02/09 09:46 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Morodiene]

Morodiene amazing piece! smile
Inlanding: was very pretty song smile

Here's another Duet by myself and Augustina smile Edelweiss from Sound of Music! We might've played it a bit too fast but we get excited sometimes playing duets :P

Here's a video version:
http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o23/a...t=Edelweiss.flv

Here's an mp3 version:
http://www.box.net/shared/y47v7gabsp

"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -Ludwig van Beethoven

#1317103 - 12/02/09 10:26 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]

Thanks lady...that's a great duet! One of my favorite pieces, whenever I hear this I always think of when the Captain sings this and gets all choked up laugh

#1317108 - 12/02/09 10:27 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Morodiene]
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

I wrote this last year and just made some changes. It's called "faded Scarlet Bow".

#1317164 - 12/03/09 12:06 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Morodiene]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thank you, Morodiene

It's very definitely cooling off...

Two more to add to December's Bar

Ramblin' On

Moonlight Mvt 1

March piano audio

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#1317167 - 12/03/09 12:13 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Inlanding]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Bill - I knew when it was you doing this song I was in for a treat smile Just the right piano styling, and definitely the right voice - really great.

Cathy

#1317203 - 12/03/09 01:31 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Inlanding]
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Beautiful Glen, very contemplative and relaxed.

#1317254 - 12/03/09 05:21 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Studio Joe]
jis Offline

Very nice atmosphere you created there Peyton. Thanks for sharing.

Jis

#1317280 - 12/03/09 06:48 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: jis]
PianoU1 Offline

Loc: uk
my effort for dec and one of my grade 5 exam pieces for this month.

Currently working on:
Chopin Nocturne in C# Minor
Beethoven Sonata Op10.no.1
Martinu Columbine Sings
Chopin: Waltz 69 no.2
Scott Joplin: Pineapple Rag

Achievements:
Grade 1-7 Piano (LCM)
Grade 1-5 theory (LCM)

#1317294 - 12/03/09 07:13 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: foxyw]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Very nicely done foxyw - glad you decided to come in to the Piano Bar, where the congenial (and seldom inebriated) patrons always enjoy an Italian song by a Russian composer played on a German piano while drinking an Australian beer and munching on American beer pretzels and Swiss cheese smile

JF

#1317297 - 12/03/09 07:23 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Morodiene]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
OK, this is my first time posting a recording, plus my first time using box.net, so hopefully this will work!

Ha! The first time is both scary and exciting for any number of things shocked , but especially for playing/recording an original composition and submitting it for audition to the tough critics (paper tigers all laugh ) here at the Piano Bar! Good job all around - love the "Spanish flavor" of the piece and your playing was superb thumb

JF

#1317300 - 12/03/09 07:30 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ladypayne
Morodiene amazing piece! smile
Inlanding: was very pretty song smile

Here's another Duet by myself and Augustina smile Edelweiss from Sound of Music! We might've played it a bit too fast but we get excited sometimes playing duets :P

Here's a video version:
http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o23/a...t=Edelweiss.flv

Here's an mp3 version:
http://www.box.net/shared/y47v7gabsp

Nice version of one of my favorite's from one of my favorite musicals. Thanks!

JF

#1317308 - 12/03/09 07:43 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Inlanding]
Larry Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Here is my crack at it.

Happy December!

Glen

Glen, this one's really fantastic. It seems more cohesive and integrated than some of the others. And there's so much potential for further developing the themes in this song. What you've got is like a great introduction, and I'd love to hear you take the basic themes and noodle around with them. You're really gifted at that, and I think it would be a great longer song.

And that wonderful piano of yours....
www.larrylarsonpiano.com

#1317312 - 12/03/09 07:50 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Inlanding]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Inlanding - very nice piece. I'm with Rickster on this - your piano has a very nice tone - I like the bass and the way the sustain rings out particularly at the end.

#1317355 - 12/03/09 08:49 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Morodiene]
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Ed, I'm always amazed at how professional your recordings /playing sound. I had my sound system hooked up for recording so could listen to your recording through headphones.. Wow, I have to do that more often. Fantastic!

Bill, another classic from the master! Super playing.

Morodiene, Super piece. I love the spanish flavor. What a wonderful composition.

#1317376 - 12/03/09 09:21 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: PianoU1]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

PianoU1 - Very well done. You have a confident and precise touch which suits this piece well.

#1317381 - 12/03/09 09:27 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Peyton]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Peyton - a wonderful song beautifully performed. Your accompanyment is very creative and compliments the song nicely. I like the runs that simulate snow falling - at least it sounded that way to me.

#1317397 - 12/03/09 09:50 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: BillM]
setchman Offline

Sam:
I really enjoyed Ave Maria by you and Laurie. It's always been one of my favorite pieces. It immediately reminded me of one of my favorite arrangements of it that I have on a Windham Hill Sampler CD called "The Bach Variations". The prelude was played on a harp and the melody was played on a harmonica. It sounds like a strange combination but, as you'd expect, the artists on the CD made it sound beautiful. Great job.

TB:
Very nice piece. Delicate and tranquil.

Larry:
I really like the chord voicings on this piece. Very cool.

Riddler:
Awesome job on the arrangement. I know how much of a challenge it is to create a good mix like that and you did it very well.

Bill:
That was a great rendition of "Georgia On My Mind". I can't sing so I can appreciate the fact that you can do both.

foxyw:
Nice job on that piece, very well done. And the quality of the recording was great.

Mordiene:
Wow, what passion! That composition was great. I'd love to be able to hear that one in person to get the full effect.

Good stuff!

#1317399 - 12/03/09 09:56 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Peyton]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Fantastic, Peyton. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

Glen

March piano audio

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#1317424 - 12/03/09 10:25 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: foxyw]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

foxyw~

Absolutely lovely. Thank you so much!

Glen

Ramblin' On
Moonlight Mvt 1

March piano audio

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#1317676 - 12/03/09 03:31 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Inlanding]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

foxyw - What a cheerfully-played piece! Brought a smile to my face as I take a lunch break - perfect smile

Cathy

#1317689 - 12/03/09 03:44 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: jotur]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Morodiene - that was great. I liked the changing moods throughout the piece.

Larry B - I thought you captured the different flavors of the recording sections perfectly.

Inlanding - I liked this very much - very calming.

Cathy

#1318141 - 12/04/09 09:34 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Peyton]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Peyton - you set a really nice family scene with your fine song-story of the holiday season - excellent accompaniment as usual! Liked this a lot.

JF

#1318433 - 12/04/09 04:22 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: TrapperJohn]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Greetings!

I was inspired to conjure three tunes last night for this December Piano Bar, improvising around a chord structure, attempting to not lose my place. One, a familiar standard and the others...some broken versions of blues.

I've developed such a bad habit over time of not counting to change at the right time. These examples are my first public attempt at illustrating what I want to fix. wink

Misty Noodling

Major Blooze

Minor Blooze

Thanks - have a great day!

Glen

March piano audio

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#1318447 - 12/04/09 04:49 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Inlanding]
Larry Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

"sister linda" http://www.box.net/shared/ezuag1fra9

I was sitting at the piano one morning as usual, noodling around. For some strange reason I started thinking about this portrait photograph of my dad dressed up in his WW2 army uniform. As I thought about the sadness in his eyes, I remembered that around that time (1942) my parents' first baby was stillborn. It's not something that was ever talked about very much in my family, but as I started thinking about my sister, who they named Linda, I wrote this song for her.
www.larrylarsonpiano.com

#1318460 - 12/04/09 05:01 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Larry Larson]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Larry - that is a fantastic piece! What a great brother you are!

Very thoughtful, very well played.

You are a fine player

Glen

March piano audio

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#1318804 - 12/05/09 07:52 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Peyton]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

PianoU1 - good effort on the delightful Hummel piece.

JF

#1318937 - 12/05/09 12:46 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: TrapperJohn]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

PianoU1~~

Very excellent! Very much enjoyed watching your hands move as you played. Thanks for sharing

Glen

My extemporaneous version of Autumn Leaves as another addition to this, the 2009 December Piano Bar. smile

Autumn Leaves

March piano audio

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#1319030 - 12/05/09 03:13 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Inlanding]

Taking the inspiration from the Christmas songs thread, I wrote this song. In this one, I envisioned people gathering on the holidays, catching up on each others' news, the kids running around having fun. So I called it:

Reunion

TB

Edited by TrueBeginner (12/05/09 03:25 PM)

#1319109 - 12/05/09 05:37 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: (Was)TrueBeginner]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

ladypayne - what a nice duet on Edelweiss. I remember sitting down with a friend and just playing thru a duet book - great fun.

PianoU1 - what a fun video - your fingers look like spiders on that piece from that angle smile Cute piece.

Larry Larson - very nice. I like having the melody in the bass.

Cathy

#1319124 - 12/05/09 06:12 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Morodiene]
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Bill, loved your Georgia. Sounds like you wrote it.

foxyw- Very sweet. I love it. Welcome to the bar... give us more!

Inlanding- Glen... that was really beautiful. Great improvising. Really nice recording quality too. What piano are you on? It has a beautiful tone.

Edited by Peyton (12/05/09 06:15 PM)

#1319634 - 12/06/09 03:44 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Peyton]
Augustina Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
True Beginner, Pretty Piece, I enjoyed listening to it very much
Larry Larson, good job, it was very nice
Sam, Great job:) I liked the recorder in it also. me and my sister try that sometimes:)
Riddler, Nice Blues song:P
Bill, I like that piece as well, wish I could sing like that:)
Foxyw, Great job, I love Tchaikovsky, we played a lot of his pieces when I was in band during highschool
Morodiene, Awesome:) great piece
Inlanding-very pretty also:)
Ladypayne. well.. what can I say.. we did pretty good;)
Peyton- another singer! nice song:)
I'll catch up with the rest tonight:)
Here is My piece,another song from Lord of the Dance
I was experimenting with changing the sounds on the keyboard. here it is;P
http://www.box.net/shared/r5i7mninek

#1319656 - 12/06/09 04:38 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Augustina]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
Very medieval, Augustina. Lovely harmonies. smile

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1319704 - 12/06/09 05:55 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: ten left thumbs]
DragonPianoPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
laugh

OK, this is the way I wanted my recital piece to turn out. Pretty close to a month after the recital.

Chopin Prelude No 4

Rich

#1319717 - 12/06/09 06:06 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: DragonPianoPlayer]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Rich, that was super. Really well phrased and felt.

Only a month after the recital. Mine can be as long as 2 years and still not really be up to par smile

Cathy

#1319728 - 12/06/09 06:23 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: jotur]

Hi All,

Here is my contribution to the December piano-bar. I recorded this today. I've always liked the song. I've been flirting around with reading music and this piece is a lot like it is written, but I did add lib a bit. (It's hard to break the "by-ear" habit grin)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HreQIuq8xaE

Rick

#1319745 - 12/06/09 06:51 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Rickster]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Rick - that was a little different from your usual fare, but I liked it very much.

Cathy

#1319875 - 12/06/09 10:37 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Rickster]
Larry Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi All,

Here is my contribution to the December piano-bar. I recorded this today. I've always liked the song. I've been flirting around with reading music and this piece is a lot like it is written, but I did add lib a bit. (It's hard to break the "by-ear" habit grin)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HreQIuq8xaE

Rick

Rick, that was a very nice interpretation, I especially loved the LH. You've got very good musical intuition. Your voice sounds very good. If you keep losing weight, we're going to have to start calling you "Georgia Slim".

www.larrylarsonpiano.com

#1319930 - 12/06/09 11:48 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Larry Larson]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Bill, very professional job (as usual) on Georgia. Fun to play with different voices, isn't it?

Foxyw, very well done. Lots of zest and exuberance in your playing, I'd say.

Morodiene, that really grabbed me - quite beautiful, passionate, professional. WRT the recording, I had to turn the volume up a bit, but it sounded fine. Great job.

Glen, boy those deep bass notes sound good, don't they. A very enjoyable, nostalgic improv; the kind of music that brings back memories, for me.

Ladypayne and Augustina, nice work on your Edelweiss duet. Keep 'em coming!

Ed

#1320019 - 12/07/09 02:59 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Rickster]
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Enjoyed it Rick. You have a good voice and you use it very well.

#1320197 - 12/07/09 10:20 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Studio Joe]
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Rick, nice job on Rainbow. You have a good vocal range. Sounds like a real toughy to sing.

#1320248 - 12/07/09 11:10 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Peyton]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Dragon - Great work on that E-min prelude

Rickster - Fantastic - very entertaining, really enjoyed it.

Rickster, Riddler, Peyton, all. The piano is an original 1917 O Steinway - it is such a responsive and inspiring piano to play.

'Misty' noodling

C-min Blooze

Glen

March piano audio

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#1320427 - 12/07/09 03:17 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Inlanding]
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Rickster, Riddler, Peyton, all. The piano is an original 1917 O Steinway - it is such a responsive and inspiring piano to play.

Sweet!

#1320506 - 12/07/09 04:38 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Rickster]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Rickster - A nice performance of one of my favorite songs. Thanks for sharing.

#1320517 - 12/07/09 04:48 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Augustina]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Augustina- You are quite creative with your digital. This is an excellent and interesting rendition. I've seen River Dance the last couple of years when they came to Wolfe Trappe near where I live and enjoy this music very much.

#1320532 - 12/07/09 05:17 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: BillM]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Augustina - I got a kick out of your keyboard sounds. It reminded me of a little field organ/portable organ/pump organ I played Scandinavian music with (2 fiddlers did melodies). The sound didn't come out immediately as you pressed the keys. It also turned out to not be smart to use it on a slick wooden dance floor, because, well, as you pumped, it moved. Away from you. :\ So I was constantly trying to scoot my chair to keep up with it. We thought about tieing it to the chair leg, but finally brought in a small floor mat from the foyer of the building and put the organ and me on it. But it was amusing for awhile smile Any way, your piece was cute.

Cathy

#1320775 - 12/08/09 12:10 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: jotur]
tatiana110 Offline

Loc: BC, Canada
Good evening my dear friends!

Having too little time lately to spend at the piano, I only recorded 2 new songs this month, one of which I would like to play for you here (it is my farewell to the Fall season smile :

Stephen Heller. Fluttering Leaves.

Tatiana

Estonia L190 (2011)
My recordings on YouTube

#1320788 - 12/08/09 12:38 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: tatiana110]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Originally Posted By: tatiana110

First, I apologize for not watching or commenting on any of the other videos. I'm new to the site and still getting my bearings straight.

But I did stumble into this.

Just... Beautiful!

#1320790 - 12/08/09 12:42 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: BenPiano]
Frozenicicles Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
tatiana: Beautiful playing! I imagined a tree losing its last leaf and thinking sadly of the long cold winter ahead. You have a wonderful touch and tone for RCM grade 6. Are you taking the exams? If you are, you'll do well. thumb Lovely hand and wrist movement as well.

#1320791 - 12/08/09 12:43 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: BenPiano]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Ben - do what you can with the time you have - we're not ogres here, much as we like to hear talk about ourselves smile But I don't usually make it around to commenting on every submission, either, because, well, I have other stuff going on!

There *is* a lot to PW, and - well, (scuffs shoes, looks furtively around) - it can be addicting :|

Cathy

#1320838 - 12/08/09 02:32 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: jotur]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Originally Posted By: jotur
Ben - do what you can with the time you have - we're not ogres here, much as we like to hear talk about ourselves smile But I don't usually make it around to commenting on every submission, either, because, well, I have other stuff going on!

There *is* a lot to PW, and - well, (scuffs shoes, looks furtively around) - it can be addicting :|

Cathy

Thanks for the warm welcome. Upon joining this forum I was fully expecting to get my meager fingers chomped off by some grizzly green ogres, but fortunately the only green I've seen so far has been the welcome mat.

This forum really has a friendly atmosphere. And, yes, it's addicting...

#1320896 - 12/08/09 07:13 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: tatiana110]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: tatiana110
Good evening my dear friends!

Having too little time lately to spend at the piano, I only recorded 2 new songs this month, one of which I would like to play for you here (it is my farewell to the Fall season smile :

Tatiana

Sweet tune lovingly played - very nice Tatiana thumb

I'm currently working on a Heller Prelude - from Hungary, he apparently had quite a career as both a concert pianist and rather prolific composer in the 19th century - he was a friend of Beethoven, Schubert, Chopin, Listz, etc.

JF

#1320897 - 12/08/09 07:25 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: BenPiano]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BenPiano

First, I apologize for not watching or commenting on any of the other videos. I'm new to the site and still getting my bearings straight.

Some people comment on some or many of the pieces submitted to the Piano Bars - and never or only occassionally submit one of their own.

Others submit one (or more) pieces and never or hardly ever comment on other pieces.

Others submit one or several pieces and comment on most or all other pieces.

It works just fine any way you choose to handle it.

But, in terms of "time management" it is only common sense that if you have time to submit a piece then it would only seem reasonable to assume that you also have time to comment on one or more other pieces - at least. And while this is not a duty or obligation it would be nice...especially if you would like others to take the time to comment on your's...

JF

#1320951 - 12/08/09 09:58 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: TrapperJohn]
Augustina Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Cathy I actually laughed when I read that:) interesting that the little field organ would actually move away from you^_^ Bill Thank you. we also played riverdance for marching band my last year in highschool, I loved it. I would love to see them live!
Tatiana.. you play beautiful:)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Spot1530

#1320957 - 12/08/09 10:06 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: tatiana110]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Tatiana - That was very beautiful piece. It is a joy to watch your hands. You are a very good player.

Thank you for sharing your music!

Glen

'Misty' noodling

March piano audio

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#1320988 - 12/08/09 10:54 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Inlanding]

Tatiana, you play so musically! Great job smile

#1321054 - 12/08/09 12:19 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Morodiene]

Nice job, Tatiana! (As usual!:-)

I enjoyed listening!

And Glen.... your 1917 Steinway O sounds superb!

Rick

Edited by Rickster (12/08/09 12:20 PM)

#1321058 - 12/08/09 12:26 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Morodiene]
Larry Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

just to prove I can play something written by someone else, here's Chopin's Prelude in E minor.

http://www.box.net/shared/z7dbis92l1
www.larrylarsonpiano.com

#1321068 - 12/08/09 12:47 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Larry Larson]

Very pretty piece Tatiana!
Nice singing and playing Rick smile

Here's my submission: Famous Hawaii song Aloha Oe. Enjoy!
http://www.box.net/shared/t7f6hmnk66

here's video version too:
http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o23/amanda1528/piano%20music/?action=view&current=AlohaOe.flv

Edited by ladypayne (12/08/09 01:16 PM)

#1321071 - 12/08/09 12:49 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Larry Larson]

Quote:
just to prove I can play something written by someone else, here's Chopin's Prelude in E minor.

Excellent, Larry! The music you write is just as good in my view! (No disrespect to Chopin grin)

Keep up the great playing!

Rick

#1321076 - 12/08/09 12:54 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Larry Larson]
tatiana110 Offline

Simply wonderful... thumb
I can keep listening to it all morning.

Thank you Larry!

Estonia L190 (2011)
My recordings on YouTube

#1321077 - 12/08/09 12:58 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: DragonPianoPlayer]
tatiana110 Offline

Originally Posted By: DragonPianoPlayer
laugh

OK, this is the way I wanted my recital piece to turn out. Pretty close to a month after the recital.

Chopin Prelude No 4

Rich

Rich,
You have so much feeling in your play, this is an outstanding rendition - thank you so much for sharing! (I wish I could 'subscribe' to your playing on YouTube - if you have your recordings posted there).
smile smile smile

Tatiana

Estonia L190 (2011)
My recordings on YouTube

#1321205 - 12/08/09 04:16 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Sam S]
tatiana110 Offline

Originally Posted By: Sam Smith
Laurie has on her Christmas sweater:

The Gounod/Bach Ave Maria. You'll probably recognize the keyboard part, the Bach prelude in C from the WTC book 1. I think it's in the back of Alfred Book 3. Gounod decided that it needed a melody, so he set "Ave Maria" to it. He added a measure in the middle, repeated the first four as an intro, and changed the key. I transposed it back to C to suit the recorder.

Notice my feet tucked up under the bench? No sustain pedal on the harpsichord, or any of the instruments available to Bach. The notes stop sounding when I release the key, so I don't play it as written. Instead I hold the notes until they are plucked again or the end of the measure. Sometimes I have to release a bass note early to move my hand for the next chord. Tuck your foot up under the bench and try this on the piano.

And there are no dynamics on this particular harpsichord, so I can't play any louder or softer...

Anyway, we had fun with it - hope you like it.

Sam

Sam and Laurie,

I liked it so much! Every month I am looking forward to your new piece - I imagine how great it is to play together like this...

Estonia L190 (2011)
My recordings on YouTube

#1321210 - 12/08/09 04:23 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: tatiana110]
tatiana110 Offline

BenPiano, Frozenicicles, Rickster, JF, Augustina, Glen, Morodiene, ladypayne - thank you so much for your kind comments!

Frozenicicles - nope, I am not taking any exams, just studying on my own, without a teacher or any ambitious goals. I just love piano music so much, and still surprised I can continue learning it at my age :-)

Estonia L190 (2011)
My recordings on YouTube

#1321497 - 12/09/09 12:24 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: tatiana110]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Peyton, great song, nicely played and sung. Nice snowfall effect at the end!

Piano U1, sounds very good! Looks pretty tricky at about the one minute point. Nicely done.

Dragonpianoplayer, isn't that a beautiful piece? I always love it. Well done!

Rick, nice job on Over the Rainbow, one of my favorites.

Tatiana, lovely! You have a very graceful way of playing that results in a very good sound.

Ladypayne, great job on Aloha Oe.

Ed

#1321509 - 12/09/09 12:32 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Peyton]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Peyton
Ed, .... I had my sound system hooked up for recording so could listen to your recording through headphones.....

Gee, maybe I ought to try that myself. It is a constant source of amusement to my family that, although I am obsessed with music and am, in theory, a very high tech guy, I listen to all my music with the smallest and cheapest speakers that Walmart carries! Anyway, thanks for the comments.

Ed

#1321599 - 12/09/09 06:47 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Morodiene]
Larry Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Wow, that's a very nice song, I really like it. Great melody, and put together very well. Great melody and I like how you worked with it. I'm anxious to hear more of your stuff.
www.larrylarsonpiano.com

#1321602 - 12/09/09 07:11 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Peyton]
Larry Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Peyton
I wrote this last year and just made some changes. It's called "faded Scarlet Bow".

Nice work Peyton. I admire anyone who can sing and play at the same time! That line at the beginning of the song about feeding the chickens reminds me of a funny story. When my great grandfather Sven died, his bachelor son Ephraim was suddenly now in charge of the family farm in Michigan. At the funeral the preacher was droning on and on in Swedish, and Ephraim, who obviously had his mind somewhere else, stood up and loudly exclaimed "I knew it, I knew it, I forgot to feed the chickens!!", and abruptly left the church to tend to his chores...
www.larrylarsonpiano.com

#1321603 - 12/09/09 07:21 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: (Was)TrueBeginner]
Larry Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: TrueBeginner
Taking the inspiration from the Christmas songs thread, I wrote this song. In this one, I envisioned people gathering on the holidays, catching up on each others' news, the kids running around having fun. So I called it:

Reunion

TB

TB, I think what you envisioned fits perfectly with the song. Have you thought about writing words to it? Your family holiday gatherings must be more peaceful than the ones in my family. Last year at my cousin's house, while carrying plates of food to the table she tripped and fell, sending food flying in all direction. Her daughter yelled "Mom, I told you not to try to carry all that at once!!" prompting her brother to scream "Don't talk to Mom that way!!" Then they got into a big fight and the brother left the house. Now that would make for an interesting song.
www.larrylarsonpiano.com

#1321640 - 12/09/09 09:24 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Larry Larson]

TB, I think what you envisioned fits perfectly with the song. Have you thought about writing words to it? Your family holiday gatherings must be more peaceful than the ones in my family.

Larry, I know I am bad at writing lyrics so I would not try. LOL about your family reunion. Talking about that, my parents have 7 children and 6 of them are girls (I was the only boy), so that sounds like the same as mine. I got used to it when I grew up, it would be strange that we had a reunion without incident.

Tatiana, I love your Fluttering Leaves. Now, I need to find out more info about Stephen Heller when I got time.

TB

#1321689 - 12/09/09 11:00 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: (Was)TrueBeginner]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Larry - so very versatile you are, Chopin, too? very nice.

TB - Reunion is very well-thought. You have a very even touch. A real pleasure.

ladypayne - love the Aloha piece - so creative.

Morodiene - Trovador is fabulous. Please post more of your work!

Peyton - I keep listening and watching you play faded Scarlet Bow - a joy. Great work!

Thank you, all of you - such an inspiration to play and practice more!

Glen

ps...a couple of more small pieces

Noodling1

Noodling2

March piano audio

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#1321841 - 12/09/09 02:10 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Larry Larson]
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Nice work Peyton. I admire anyone who can sing and play at the same time! That line at the beginning of the song about feeding the chickens reminds me of a funny story. When my great grandfather Sven died, his bachelor son Ephraim was suddenly now in charge of the family farm in Michigan. At the funeral the preacher was droning on and on in Swedish, and Ephraim, who obviously had his mind somewhere else, stood up and loudly exclaimed "I knew it, I knew it, I forgot to feed the chickens!!", and abruptly left the church to tend to his chores...

Funny story but I can relate. I really do have chickens and horses. In fact, my original idea for the youtube presentation was to take footage of my chickens and horses and various Christmas stuff and have a music video. It's probably just as well I didn't as it would have been corny as hell.

#1324411 - 12/13/09 09:24 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Peyton]
David Ruzicka Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
For a moment I thought I wouldn't have time to record anything in December. But luckily I've just had an hour to record and upload March in D major (BWV Anh. 122) by C.P.E. Bach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc9YiAq2GW8
YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/druzdruz

#1324472 - 12/13/09 12:11 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: David Ruzicka]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

David - that's a sweet little piece -

Cathy

#1325168 - 12/14/09 12:29 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: David Ruzicka]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

That was very excellent, David.

Thanks for sharing !

Glen

Schumann's Warum

March piano audio

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#1325734 - 12/15/09 04:33 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Inlanding]
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Lots of good music in the bar this month. I've enjoyed listening.

Here's a short version of one of my compositions called Gone With the Wind

Hope you will like it.

#1325854 - 12/15/09 10:44 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Studio Joe]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joe - that was most excellent! I liked it very much.

In response and in honor of your posting, here are a couple of my compositions...(always a work-in-progress)

Not So...Blues

Venerate

Glen

March piano audio

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#1326001 - 12/15/09 03:00 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Inlanding]
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joe - that was most excellent! I liked it very much.

In response and in honor of your posting, here are a couple of my compositions...(always a work-in-progress)

Not So...Blues

Venerate

Glen

Thanks Glen, and I must say I enjoyed both of your compositions very much. The blues number made me feel like I was sitting at a piano bar and sipping on a brew. So I did.

#1326015 - 12/15/09 03:22 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Studio Joe]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Studio Joe - A very nice composition played with feeling and emotion. I am in awe of your ability to write such melodic tunes (you too Peyton, Glen, Larry and Rickster).

#1326421 - 12/16/09 04:55 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: BillM]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Glen - Just listened to Not So... - that was amazing! 3hearts

How do you learn to play like that?

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1326590 - 12/16/09 12:03 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: ten left thumbs]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Bill, Joe, Laura ~~

Wow~~ Thank you. Your kind words are very well-received and encouraging me to play more! I hope you are encouraged!

In appreciation, here are a few old standards and a few compositions...all a work-in-progress

What's New

Stormy Weather

That's All

Nature Boy

Blues Silky Style

Two Minutes of Your Time

Glen

March piano audio

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#1326729 - 12/16/09 03:02 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Studio Joe]
Larry Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hope you will like it.

Yeah, I did like it. It's very nice as it is, but it also could be developed further, especially with some variety in the LH, like blocked chords instead of the arpeggios. It's a wonderful piece, but to me it's begging for another section--maybe go from D minor to D major in the next part... Or maybe tell me to shut up and write my own damn music!
www.larrylarsonpiano.com

#1326766 - 12/16/09 03:38 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Larry Larson]
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hope you will like it.

Yeah, I did like it. It's very nice as it is, but it also could be developed further, especially with some variety in the LH, like blocked chords instead of the arpeggios. It's a wonderful piece, but to me it's begging for another section--maybe go from D minor to D major in the next part... Or maybe tell me to shut up and write my own damn music!

Thanks Larry, I welcome your comments, and I agree there is room for further development. The only variation in this version is the B section in the relative major (F major).

Did you not hear the D major? The very last chord (LOL), I think it's called a picardy 3rd ending.

The song was written with lyrics. That's why the tittle; "Gone With the Wind" which is the hook line. And in that version there is a 4 measure bridge in the key of Bb.

This short version is the best recording I have for piano solo.

Thanks again for your evaluation.

#1326782 - 12/16/09 03:53 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: ten left thumbs]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Ten,
Thanks for the encouragement!

There is somewhat a method to the madness. There is quite a bit of intuition involved in its evolution, so it is difficult to describe exactly. I will try map it out when time permits, or send me a PM directly.

Glen

March piano audio

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#1326787 - 12/16/09 03:57 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Inlanding]
Larry Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Joe, true confession time, I actually sat down and wrote a D major part to add to your song, but it wasn't that great, and I thought it might be tacky to post it.
www.larrylarsonpiano.com

#1326797 - 12/16/09 04:16 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Larry Larson]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Wow - that is amazing, Larry!

Glen

March piano audio

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#1326807 - 12/16/09 04:21 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Inlanding]
Larry Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

OK Glen, here's a proposition, with Joe's permission I'll post it on the condition that you write a section to follow mine.
www.larrylarsonpiano.com

#1326810 - 12/16/09 04:25 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Larry Larson]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

OK Glen, here's a proposition, with Joe's permission I'll post it on the condition that you write a section to follow mine.

Alright, Larry - - Sounds like a great challenge - I will give it a go!

Glen

March piano audio

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#1326839 - 12/16/09 05:04 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Larry Larson]
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Permission granted: I'd like to hear what you come up with.

#1326931 - 12/16/09 06:52 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Studio Joe]
Larry Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks Joe, here it is, maybe we can call it "Further Gone With the Wind"

here we go...

http://www.box.net/shared/gtxgtqiyya

OK Glen, you're "it"
www.larrylarsonpiano.com

#1327224 - 12/17/09 03:35 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Larry Larson]
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

That's lovely Larry, I'll experiment with that idea to see if there is a way to blend it with what I have.

#1327433 - 12/17/09 11:48 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Larry Larson]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hope you will like it.

here we go...

OK Glen, you're "it"

Holiday events will delay a day or two.

Listening carefully now. This is brand new territory for me...This is fun!

Glen

March piano audio

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#1327520 - 12/17/09 02:06 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Inlanding]
Larry Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

yes, new for me too, but I think it's a good challenging exercise-- gets us out of our comfort zones.
www.larrylarsonpiano.com

#1327618 - 12/17/09 04:12 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Morodiene]
al-mahed Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rio de Janeiro

very nice!!!

Working on: music

#1327619 - 12/17/09 04:12 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: al-mahed]
al-mahed Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: al-mahed

very nice!!!

any sheet?

#1327982 - 12/18/09 12:48 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: al-mahed]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
I'm enjoying all the submissions this month - very creative and well played! thumb

This arrangement is a combination of the sheet music and my own fiddling around. (I have trouble with some spots, especially the octave/10ths section):

#1328080 - 12/18/09 06:05 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Elssa]
PianoU1 Offline

Loc: uk
very impressive Elssa.

Currently working on:
Chopin Nocturne in C# Minor
Beethoven Sonata Op10.no.1
Martinu Columbine Sings
Chopin: Waltz 69 no.2
Scott Joplin: Pineapple Rag

Achievements:
Grade 1-7 Piano (LCM)
Grade 1-5 theory (LCM)

#1328329 - 12/18/09 01:37 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Elssa]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thoroughly enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing, Elssa.

Glen

March piano audio

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#1328343 - 12/18/09 01:51 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Larry Larson]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

here we go...

OK Glen, you're "it"

OK, Larry and Joe.. Here goes!

Joe's Gone With The Wind

Larry's FGWTW

After a long day yesterday, I compiled these late last night. Here are a few clips slightly varying in flavor for your review.

GWTW Var 1

GWTW Var 3

GWTW Var 4

GWTW Var 5

Glen

March piano audio

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#1328362 - 12/18/09 02:07 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Inlanding]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

What a busy bar! smile How on earth does everyone have time in December for all this composing?

OK, here's a short little number. I play it Straight - No Improvising:

http://www.box.net/shared/721vunullt

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1328369 - 12/18/09 02:19 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: ten left thumbs]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ten left thumbs
What a busy bar! smile How on earth does everyone have time in December for all this composing?

OK, here's a short little number. I play it Straight - No Improvising:

http://www.box.net/shared/721vunullt

Most excellent playing, TLF! I always enjoy listening to that tune.

Glen

March piano audio

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#1328386 - 12/18/09 02:41 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Inlanding]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Glen, you should come round my place. I've been playing it non-stop. It gets a bit wearing after a while. wink

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1328572 - 12/18/09 06:15 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Inlanding]
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joe's Gone With The Wind

Larry's FGWTW

After a long day yesterday, I compiled these late last night. Here are a few clips slightly varying in flavor for your review.

GWTW Var 1

GWTW Var 3

GWTW Var 4

GWTW Var 5

Glen

That's great Glen, They are all good, I think I like the last one the best.

Very good improvisation.

#1328617 - 12/18/09 07:44 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Inlanding]
Larry Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

here we go...

OK Glen, you're "it"

Joe's Gone With The Wind

Larry's FGWTW

GWTW Var 1

GWTW Var 3

GWTW Var 4

GWTW Var 5

Glen

Glen, DO quit your day job.
www.larrylarsonpiano.com

#1330212 - 12/20/09 10:01 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Larry Larson]
AlleyKatt Offline

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Glen - love your blues!!! This is the type of blues I can only hope to play someday. Your music is so relaxing. I agree with the person who said they felt like they were at a piano bar (only I'd be sipping an old fashioned instead of a brew)!

I also would be interested in knowing how you started playing this type of music. Was it stictly by listening to other musicians or did you have some type of formal training?

Thanks again and I quote Larry above "DO quit your day job"!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Alleycat299

#1330219 - 12/20/09 10:11 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: AlleyKatt]
AlleyKatt Offline

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Thank you to everyone who posted their work on the piano bar this month. I have thoroughly enjoyed each and every piece. I am absolutely blown away at the creativity and musical expressiveness. One word comes to mind - Class!!

Hopefully one of these months I'll have something to post on this forum. Until then may you have a very blessed holiday season and a Happy New Year!!

AlleyKatt

http://www.youtube.com/user/Alleycat299

#1330241 - 12/20/09 10:54 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Inlanding]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

That was terrific, Glen! (I vote for #5) Had a great latin as well as bluesy flavor to my ears. thumb

Thanks all for your kind comments. I'm sort of forced sometimes to be creative and make up my own arrangements with my small hands. It's fun, though. smile

#1331010 - 12/21/09 08:55 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Elssa]
al-mahed Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hello,

I'm sending this famous and begginer piece just in the spirit of participating, I am quite far away yet to play decently.

Hope you enjoy it.

cheers

http://www.4shared.com/file/178413241/5e1f1699/minueto_-_BWV_appendix_114.html

#1331097 - 12/21/09 10:52 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: al-mahed]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Here's a fun song: Chatanooga Choo-Choo, boogie-woogie style smile

#1331207 - 12/22/09 03:30 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: al-mahed]
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hello,

I'm sending this famous and begginer piece just in the spirit of participating, I am quite far away yet to play decently.

Hope you enjoy it.

cheers

Well done. A beautiful piece artfully rendered.

Thanks for sharing.

#1331208 - 12/22/09 03:33 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Elssa]
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

way to go Elssa!

#1331297 - 12/22/09 08:53 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: al-mahed]
Larry Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hello,

Hope you enjoy it.

cheers

Hi al-mahed. Thanks for posting this, you did a great job. Isn't Bach fantastic? Simple enough to be within our reach, but still so beautiful. I hope to hear more of your playing.
www.larrylarsonpiano.com

#1331953 - 12/22/09 11:24 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Studio Joe]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

way to go Elssa!

Thanks, Joe! Just my own crazy mix here of sheet music and whimsey. grin

#1331959 - 12/22/09 11:34 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Studio Joe]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hope you will like it.

Love it! thumb Just wondering, is your left hand playing something like this?: a, e, a, b, c, b, a, e. How did you come up with that? Thanks. smile

#1332031 - 12/23/09 02:45 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Elssa]
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Elssa thanks, and yes about the left hand except that it is Dm instead of Am.

You can see the score here http://texas-trax.com/gwtw.htm

I don't remember where I got the 1, 5, 8, 9, 10 LH pattern but it keeps showing up occasionally in my music.

#1332459 - 12/23/09 03:29 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Studio Joe]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

al-mahed,
I really like your playing - an inspiration. Keep up the good work and keep posting. This kind of practice to get it to your satisfaction is quite valuable.

Elssa,
I very much enjoy watching and listening to your video clip(s). (Chatenooga Choo-choo boogie!) Together, your technique and stylings are wonderful!

Glen

March piano audio

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#1332626 - 12/23/09 07:42 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Inlanding]
al-mahed Offline
500 Post Club Member

StudioJoe, Larry and inlanding, thank you for the comments!

I'm trying to play the other minuet, anh 116, also in G major - which I think is more beautifull than the anh 114, but it is more difficult either (I saw some graded pieces material somewhere saying that both are level 2, I disgree because the anh 116 is taking me MUCH more time to get it correct).

#1337009 - 12/30/09 11:57 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: al-mahed]
Manndrew Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
A very healthy, happy and musical New Year to everyone. Here's a little nostalgia to set the mood.

http://www.box.net/shared/d4inavs71u

Andy

#1337031 - 12/30/09 12:23 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Manndrew]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Andy,
Spot on!

That was excellent, a great intro, such clean style and wonderful flavorings each round. I liked it so much. That's about as good as it gets!

Thank you, and Happy New Year to all my musical friends - so glad I found you!

Music...we all have it in common.

Glen

March piano audio

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#1337039 - 12/30/09 12:30 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Inlanding]
Manndrew Offline

Glen,

Thank you so much. Cheers.

Andy

#1337091 - 12/30/09 01:23 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Manndrew]
Loves Pugs Too Offline

Loc: VA
Andy, That WAS really enjoyable - thanks for sharing and happy New Year All.
Richard

#1337128 - 12/30/09 02:21 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Manndrew]
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Manndrew
A very healthy, happy and musical New Year to everyone. Here's a little nostalgia to set the mood.

Andy

Excellent Andy, A beautiful rendition of this seasonal standard.

I enjoyed it.

#1337137 - 12/30/09 02:35 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Studio Joe]
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Center City, MN
At least for a few minutes I'll go ahead and broadcast some of my practicing...

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/anthonyb-piano

It'll be audio only as it is tricky to upload audio and video together on my rather slow internet connection without getting dropouts.

#1337167 - 12/30/09 03:15 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: AnthonyB]
Manndrew Offline

Originally Posted By: AnthonyB
At least for a few minutes I'll go ahead and broadcast some of my practicing...

Very nice recordings Anthony. So, Anthony, I'm curious, since I have the FP-7 as well, what settings did you use for the "Stella" recording? In terms of Grand Piano 1...2....3, multieffects and so on. I use mostly Grand Piano 1 with most of the effects buttons turned on. I don't do too much tweaking. Your settings sound excellent.

Andy

#1337176 - 12/30/09 03:26 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Manndrew]
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Center City, MN
I'm pretty sure that was a stock Grand Piano 1 setting from the FP-7. I don't think I was messing with pianoteq way back then.

Also, I'm done playing for now. I'll try to give some sort of advance warning if I do that again. Who knows, maybe another round of practice later on...

Edited by AnthonyB (12/30/09 03:27 PM)

#1337228 - 12/30/09 04:41 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Manndrew]
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Beautiful playing, very enjoyable and I hope I can play and improvise like that one day. Happy New Year to you and all our music "buddies" thumb
- SC

My You Tube | My Box.net

#1337407 - 12/30/09 08:55 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: TTigg]

Here's a recording of Nella Fantasia, I'm playing and singing:

http://www.box.net/shared/9sl5hvhmf8

I also did Einaudi's Le Onde here. I learned this without ever hearing it (a friend asked me to learn it) and so when I later heard the composer play it I didn't realize that it shoudl be slow! But I just can't get myself to slow it down more, so hope no minds this tempo too much: laugh

http://www.box.net/shared/yi1ipxxa79

#1337513 - 12/30/09 11:08 PM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Morodiene]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Morodiene, that was beautiful. What a wonderful song!

Andy - that was terrific - I've played that tune, but never so lushly - a great arrangement.

al-mahed - WOW! Charming and delightful! And ornaments! and variations! and lions and tigers and bears, oh my! Well, no lions and tigers and bears, but I was excited. I love that piece and I loved your interpretation.

What - we left the best till last this month? laugh

Cathy

#1337690 - 12/31/09 08:33 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Manndrew]

Originally Posted By: Manndrew

Andy

Andy, I really enjoyed your playing! The ornaments were very tasteful and you have a very musical approach. smile

#1337697 - 12/31/09 08:42 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: jotur]
Manndrew Offline

Morodiene,

Your vocal was incredible. Very moving. Thank you.

Andy

#1337698 - 12/31/09 08:49 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: Manndrew]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Andy - I enjoyed your Auld Lang Syne very much. You played this with a full and powerful style. Your improvs were a nice touch.

#1337707 - 12/31/09 09:09 AM Re: December Piano Bar [Re: BillM]
Manndrew Offline

Richard, Joe, TTigg, Cathy, and Bill,

Thanks so much for listening and your comments. Wishing you a joyous New Year......

Andy

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
131 registered (36251, ajames, accordeur, albumblatter, Abby Pianoman, 38 invisible), 1862 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75595 Members
42 Forums
156302 Topics
2295536 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday torquenale !!!!
by CarlosCC
Today at 08:26 AM
compositional methods
by Michael Sayers
Today at 08:03 AM
Happy Birthday earlofmar !!!!
by CarlosCC
Today at 04:49 AM
Tight Key ??
by moy71
Today at 01:15 AM
Learning progress
by sunnyday
Today at 01:10 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission