Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#1315912 - 12/01/09 01:39 PM Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances )
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
A lot of us have a few holiday tunes we can play so let's post 'em up here in one location.

Personally, I'm getting sick of all the made-up junk holidays....(black friday, cyber monday etc) and would really like to get into the REAL holiday spirit and listen to some nice Christmas/holiday piano tunes performed by our own members. So, if you've got anything, let us all hear it. Maybe over the next month we could all add a performance to the list. Don't be shy as this is not a recital or anything, just a place to have some fun and enjoy the holiday season along with the performances or our members.

(p.s) Mines coming next week as I'm currently experiencing a few "misfires" in which I press down the key but nothing plays. Tech is coming out Sat to tune and fix...I hope!

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1315961 - 12/01/09 02:25 PM Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Swingin' Barb Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Here ya go Mr S-H. We have a holiday music thread on the Sudnow forum. I recently posted my arrangement of Silver Bells. In the process, I learned something of interest about the song (all credit goes to our brilliant forum leader).

Seems as though the working title of the song was "Tinkle Bells". One of the composers of the tune, Jay Livingston, went home and told his wife the name of the song. She said, "Are you out of your mind?". She explained to him the double meaning of the word "tinkle". grin

http://www.box.net/shared/7i6mcnbm7i

Barb

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com

#1316017 - 12/01/09 03:39 PM Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) [Re: Swingin' Barb]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Wow, Barb! That was terrific! My favorite yet of your tunes. I loved it. Great way to start the holiday music.
thumb

Cathy

#1316021 - 12/01/09 03:44 PM Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) [Re: Swingin' Barb]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: Swingin' Barb
Seems as though the working title of the song was "Tinkle Bells". One of the composers of the tune, Jay Livingston, went home and told his wife the name of the song. She said, "Are you out of your mind?". She explained to him the double meaning of the word "tinkle". grin

Barb

smile One of my wife's favorite expressions - especially when traveling as we encounter yet another convenient location of "America's Potty" (aka, McDonald's).

Nice playing Barb!

JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1316022 - 12/01/09 03:44 PM Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) [Re: jotur]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Oh, I'm glad you started this thread, hunky. I really like the one we did last year. I'll have something soon. In fact, I sat down yesterday and rattled off a perfect take of my intended piece, only to go to the Q3 and see the error message: "memory full." mad bah

Guess I should've replaced the skimpy flash card that came with the unit with an 8GB card, huh? whome

#1316032 - 12/01/09 03:54 PM Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) [Re: Monica K.]
angelojf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
Barb,

That was just terrific....loved it....how you put so many ideas into that! Great!

#1316035 - 12/01/09 03:58 PM Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) [Re: Swingin' Barb]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
Barb - I love all of the Christmas ornaments that you have hung on this great rendition. You have dressed this up nicely for the holidays!
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes

#1316037 - 12/01/09 03:59 PM Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) [Re: angelojf]
foxyw Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
That was really pretty Barb! I enjoyed it very much.

I'm learning some new music for the holidays and hope to be able to record and post something here soon.

#1316038 - 12/01/09 04:04 PM Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) [Re: foxyw]
500 Post Club Member

Wow – I just checked the forum and this page started to grow. Hey – thanks so much everyone. You are making me blush. blush

Please, someone put up a holiday song. I feel so alone here. frown

John - I agree - McDonald's makes car travel enjoyable. smile

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com

#1316046 - 12/01/09 04:13 PM Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) [Re: Swingin' Barb]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Good job Barb... I love the music of Christmas. It really gives my spirit a boost. I'll have something in a few days, probably a fairly bare tree though. smile

#1316063 - 12/01/09 04:29 PM Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) [Re: Strings & Wood]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Terrific! I love Christmas music!

Barb, "Silver Bells" is one of my alltime favorites. I chuckled at your story of it's almost title, as my mom used to use that expression when we were kids. :-)
Love your rendition - nice harmonizing.

I'm working on "Greensleeves" ("What Child is This"), and it's coming along really well. It's the first time that I've used the overlapping pedal, and I'm really enjoying it. Unfortunately, I have no way to record it to my computer, but I'm looking forward to hearing a lot of great Christmas tunes here. Bring them on!

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1316077 - 12/01/09 04:47 PM Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) [Re: mom3gram]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Very nice, lots of rich chords, actually it sounds like you have extra fingers wink

didn't make me want to tinkle, which is nice.

Monika, that is so frustrating! grrr...

Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

#1316149 - 12/01/09 06:28 PM Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) [Re: Canonie]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Ok, I've been having a lot of fun playing Christmas carols by ear lately, and inspired by Scott Joplin, and jazzwee, and Swingin' Barb, I've tried some "interesting" chords. So here's my "reharmonized" version of Joy to the World with funky (for me) chords:

Joy to the World

It's a treat to figure these out. I've even tried Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire (The Christmas Song?), which I wouldn't have been able to do before. Life is so much fun laugh

Happy holidays, all -

Cathy

#1316152 - 12/01/09 06:32 PM Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) [Re: jotur]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Cathy, some surprising chords in there, but they work!
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1316155 - 12/01/09 06:35 PM Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) [Re: jotur]
500 Post Club Member

Cathy,

Wow! That is so cool and joyful. I loved it. You were born to "reharmonize". You sound like you have been using those funky chords for years. smokin

I didn't want it to stop so, I just let it play for 5 or so choruses.

Barb

#1316159 - 12/01/09 06:41 PM Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) [Re: Strings & Wood]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Carl Mc
Good job Barb... I love the music of Christmas. It really gives my spirit a boost. I'll have something in a few days, probably a fairly bare tree though. smile

Thank you Carl. I'm glad your spirit got a boost. smile I'm looking forward to hearing your music.

#1316163 - 12/01/09 06:44 PM Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) [Re: mom3gram]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: mom3gram
Terrific! I love Christmas music!

Barb, "Silver Bells" is one of my alltime favorites. I chuckled at your story of it's almost title, as my mom used to use that expression when we were kids. :-)
Love your rendition - nice harmonizing.

I'm working on "Greensleeves" ("What Child is This"), and it's coming along really well. It's the first time that I've used the overlapping pedal, and I'm really enjoying it. Unfortunately, I have no way to record it to my computer, but I'm looking forward to hearing a lot of great Christmas tunes here. Bring them on!

Mom3Gram - thank you. We need to get you into the 21st century for recording. Maybe you can put it on your Christmas wish list? grin

#1316165 - 12/01/09 06:46 PM Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) [Re: Canonie]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Canonie
Very nice, lots of rich chords, actually it sounds like you have extra fingers wink

Thank you Canonie. No, I don't have any more fingers than the normal twelve like everyone else. grin

#1316166 - 12/01/09 06:47 PM Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) [Re: Swingin' Barb]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Thanks Morodienne and Barb - I laugh every time I do it laugh But I couldn't play it twice because it would have just jangled out of control. Maybe before Christmas I can record the chestnuts one. But Barb, your sounds really do influence me, even tho I'm only using 7 chords in strange places at the minute!

Cathy

#1316170 - 12/01/09 06:55 PM Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) [Re: jotur]
foxyw Offline

That sounds great Cathy. What kind of piano are you playing?

#1316171 - 12/01/09 06:56 PM Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) [Re: jotur]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jotur
But Barb, your sounds really do influence me, even tho I'm only using 7 chords in strange places at the minute!Cathy

Cathy - You are using 7 chords ( as opposed to 8 chords )

or

7th chords ( as in dominants and major sevenths ) wink

Just trying to get this straight in my head. crazy

#1316176 - 12/01/09 07:04 PM Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) [Re: Swingin' Barb]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Swingin' Barb
Cathy - You are using 7 chords ( as opposed to 8 chords )

or

7th chords ( as in dominants and major sevenths ) wink

Just trying to get this straight in my head. crazy

In my left hand, dominants. I think the progression at one point went Bb-D7-G7-C7-F (I was copying Scott Joplin, except he started on F). But the G7 had an A in the right hand - at least, one of the times it did :\ I wasn't consciously using any other chord, and I think the one with the A in the right hand was the funkiest one. Maybe I'll try to make a lead sheet, if I can remember long enough what was happening. But I'm not sophisticated enough to think beyond a dominant 7th smile

Cathy

#1316178 - 12/01/09 07:06 PM Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) [Re: jotur]
500 Post Club Member

No lead sheet? This was by ear? You are swinging girl! thumb

#1316179 - 12/01/09 07:08 PM Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) [Re: jotur]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

foxyw - thanks. It's a Casio Privia PX-100, plugged into my computer and recorded using Audacity, then exported as an .mp3. Some of the folks here renormalize (or normalize the first time, I dunno) but I just try to get a volume level I can live with smile .

Cathy

#1316188 - 12/01/09 07:25 PM Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) [Re: jotur]
foxyw Offline

Thanks Cathy! I'm planning to purchase a digital piano at some point so it's good to hear what others are using. As of now, I am using a Zoom H4n recorder which is working out well but I do think I would really enjoy having a digital piano too.

#1316191 - 12/01/09 07:29 PM Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc [Re: jotur]
CMohr Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Oregon
This is so COOL! A Christmas thread! yippie

Barb, I loved how rich your Silver Bells sound!

And Cathy, really nice "funky" chords! Seriously!

Great! I may have to try something, I'm inspired.

#1316210 - 12/01/09 08:02 PM Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performanc [Re: CMohr]
500 Post Club Member

CMohr - Thank you. Yes, you must post something. Bring on the holiday music. grin

#1316213 - 12/01/09 08:07 PM Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) [Re: foxyw]
Monica K. Offline

Barb, great job on "Silver Bells"! I love your fills. thumb (p.s. and thank you for the background story on tinkle Silver Bells. That was hilarious!)

#1316220 - 12/01/09 08:18 PM Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) [Re: Monica K.]
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
I really enjoyed “Silver Bells”, Barb!

And, Cathy, that was one of my favorite Christmas Carols, and you did a fantastic job!

Here is one I did last year. I hope Ya’ll like it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDNs2tH06x0

Take care, and Merry Christmas All!

Rick

#1316226 - 12/01/09 08:28 PM Re: Let's hear some Christmas/Holiday music. (ABF performances ) [Re: Morodiene]
Monica K. Offline

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
Cathy, some surprising chords in there, but they work!

+1. That was really cool, Cathy! It gave the old standard an interesting and unique spin. You should work out a full-length version. thumb

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Exorcist movie main theme
by Danijelcro
19 minutes 12 seconds ago
Free Cunningham Piano Company Grand Piano
by Rich D.
Today at 11:05 AM
Baldwin capo: a metallic-buzz sound generating system
by A443
Today at 11:00 AM
MP11 sustain pedal (F30) release: possible issue?
by kanadajin
Today at 10:59 AM
Chopin - Scherzo 1 Help
by YoungNoir
Today at 10:22 AM
Who's Online
138 registered (accordeur, Alex75001, ajames, 42 invisible), 1573 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76290 Members
42 Forums
157709 Topics
2316513 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission