Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1316279 - 12/01/09 09:40 PM Piano software post-recording editing
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I'm not sure if I even made this heading correct, but here's what I want to do and I'm hoping some of you gurus here can get me in the right direction:

I want to make recordings and then add effects like reverb (to simulate a room or concert hall). I can do this, but the piano sound itself always sounds a bit, well, digital. So I'm wondering what can be done to edit the sound afterwards, say if I record as a midi file, then playback using a better piano sound and export that as a .wav file. Is that possible? I am not necessarily concerned with using piano software for playback options in real time.

Thanks!
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1316299 - 12/01/09 10:08 PM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Morodiene]
Alden Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon, USA
Hi Morodiene,

A bit more info on what you've done so far would be helpful. You said you've done the recording - what instrument was used (acoustic or digital) and how was it recorded? What you want to do is quite possible, just need a bit more info.

I remember that FAIL cat!

Cheers,
A

#1316304 - 12/01/09 10:14 PM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Alden]

LOL someone recognized the FAIL cat!

Sorry, I should be more clear in my posts. I have a Roland FP-7, direct line-in to a laptop (vista). I can record using audacity or sound forge, but like I said, I don't really like the actual sound of the piano when it's recorded. The quality is great as far as clarity, but I want to make it sound like an acoustic and get some ambient room sound in there. Someone mentioned using midi instead, but I'm not quite sure how that would work.

edited to add: oops! not a direct line-in, I use an edirol usb interface, and from there into the laptop.

Edited by Morodiene (12/01/09 10:18 PM)

#1316325 - 12/01/09 10:38 PM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Morodiene]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Apologies if I am stating the obvious, but have you experimented with the various reverb and equaliser (tone) settings on your FP7?

#1316332 - 12/01/09 10:51 PM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Morodiene]
setchman Offline

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
Someone mentioned using midi instead, but I'm not quite sure how that would work.

Hi Morodiene. The only way midi will make your FP-7 sound different is if you're using it to trigger the sound of a virtual piano. There are any number of effects (free and commercial) that you may or may not be aware of, that could help improve the sound of your Roland after you've made your recording but midi by itself has no impact on the sound you're getting from your FP-7.

I have a website that I'm putting the finishing touches on that will hopefully help you and others like you with questions just like these. I'll be mentioning it at the forums here soon.

#1316338 - 12/01/09 11:01 PM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: setchman]

ROB: I have, but that doesn't seem to carry over when I'm recording since it's going from the line out of the DP into the interface and then into the computer. So while it sounds fine as I record, the playback lacks the reverb.

setchman: I think that's what I'm talking about, using a virtual piano sound to playback the midi file, then record that. Or is there a simpler way of using a different piano sound when recording?

I look forward to seeing your website!

#1316351 - 12/01/09 11:27 PM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Morodiene]
setchman Offline

I think that's what I'm talking about, using a virtual piano sound to playback the midi file, then record that. Or is there a simpler way of using a different piano sound when recording?

In theory, it's very simple. Your keyboard triggers a virtual piano on your computer using its midi output and then you record the sound of the virtual piano. Unfortunately the reality is that there are a lot of variables that can make the process a bit more difficult, but it can be done. If you have a relatively new computer and a decent sound card, IMHO, you're halfway there.

#1316370 - 12/01/09 11:57 PM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Morodiene]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It seems strange that the reverb you add to your piano sound, doesn't get recorded through the line outs of your FP-7, but I am not too familiar with the model.

This may be overkill for you, but why not try the 'Pianoteq' free demo.

It is a standalone 'virtual piano' although the demo has a few disabled notes, but should give you a good idea if it is useful to you.

It will record midi direct from your piano, and can then be tweaked, with various piano sounds,reverb effects and microphone settings.
The midi file can be saved as a .mid, or .wav

Edited to add: A couple of alternatives are, 'Truepianos' and 'Garritan authorised Steinway'

Edited by R0B (12/02/09 12:00 AM)

#1316379 - 12/02/09 12:10 AM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Morodiene]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
I'm not sure if I even made this heading correct, but here's what I want to do and I'm hoping some of you gurus here can get me in the right direction:

I want to make recordings and then add effects like reverb (to simulate a room or concert hall). I can do this, but the piano sound itself always sounds a bit, well, digital. So I'm wondering what can be done to edit the sound afterwards, say if I record as a midi file, then playback using a better piano sound and export that as a .wav file. Is that possible? I am not necessarily concerned with using piano software for playback options in real time.

Thanks!

What you are talking about is very common with home studios.

If you are using a Mac then you have "garage Band" which is perfect for this kind of thing and already on your system. It is a muti-tack audio/MIDI recorder and editor. I use "Logic Express" for this kind of work. It's a more advanced version of the same thing. At a gross level all of this kind of software works the same way. Choosing this software is as hard as selecting a digital piano. People will argue which is "best" endlessly.

They all allow you to record mutiple sources, either midi or audio all at the same time onto a simulated multitrack tape recorder. You can attach virtual devices to the inputs and outputs of each track, devices might be EQ, Reverb, compressors or whatever. Most people would put thes on the outputs and record the "dry" or clean signal from the mics or instruments. On MIDI tracks you can place "Software instruments" like pianos or flutes to play the midi tracks and then route this audio through a string is audio devices, like a reverb.

Sound or data gets into tracks either by recording or "cut and paste" from other tracks or you can add drum loops. There are editors that will present the data as music notation, paino roll and audio waveforms. You can fix wrong notes and timing and slice to getter the best takes Just about all of the software has these "basics". Then when you are done, you get to master a CD. That means match up the mix you made to the technical characteristic of some consummer playback equipment.

How to learn and what to get? I suggest yu choose the software first. Get something that has good third party suport and third party training material, like books and tutorial videos and even hand-on classes.

The college where I'm at (I'm over 50 and gone back to school to study music) has a series of classes that teach all this in a recording studio. They call it "music production". So find software that is taught in classes and books and has good Internet forums. It's complex and you will want to suport. Also it is hard to change software after spending so much time learning, you don't want to have to re-learn another. "Pro Tools" is the defacto industry standard. Apple's "Logic is fast catching up and is likely number two. Then there are a zillion others with CuBase maybe being #3. Once you've pick the software buy the equipment. In your case a very simple and in-expansive (for studio gear) audio interface is required. Then you need a computer. Apple dominates the music industry buy PCs are used too.

Take a look at...
http://www.apple.com/logicexpress/what-is.html
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=28
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/musicproduction/cubase5_product.html

Software like "Pianoteq", "Ivory" and other software pianos would be run as plug-ins (AU or VST) inside either of the above. However each of these would already have a set of piano samples

Edited by ChrisA (12/02/09 12:30 AM)

#1316387 - 12/02/09 12:24 AM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: setchman]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: setchman

In theory, it's very simple. Your keyboard triggers a virtual piano on your computer using its midi output and then you record the sound of the virtual piano. Unfortunately the reality is that there are a lot of variables that can make the process a bit more difficult, but it can be done. If you have a relatively new computer and a decent sound card, IMHO, you're halfway there.

That's not the way it's typically done. Most people would choose to record the signal that is the "most un-processed" so as to preserve their options.

What you'd do is first capture the performance to a MIDI file. Then later in post production listen to the track as it plays through a software piano and decide on the piano sound that is best for that piece. Then maybe you notice a mistake and you edit that out. Next you work on the audio, maybe adding some EQ or reverb. Listen on monitors and then headphones. Software reverb units have a half dozen "knobs" that you can tweak Then finally you master this onto your output media, be that a CD or MP3. This is very straightforward when you have just one instrument.

With a band it gets harder. You might record 8 or 20 tracks at once. Then you might go back and have the guitar player do some more takes the next day. You might edit out some vocal defects and you can spend a month getting it right. But solo piano is a straight shot -- the rule is always to record the most un-processed signal

#1316402 - 12/02/09 12:44 AM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: ChrisA]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Getting back to basics, I see that Audacity now has the capability of using vst plugins.

There are many resources for free vsts available, so you could record your piano 'dry' in Audacity, and then apply reverb, EQ, etc., directly in Audacity, post recording.

#1316503 - 12/02/09 06:20 AM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: R0B]
Ángel Santana Offline

Loc: Gran Canaria (Spain)

Hi.

With the statement "the piano itself sounds digital" do you mean you don't like its sound?

How do you listen your recordings? Do you use the built-in speakers of your laptop? Or do you monitorize through your Edirol interface? How about the settings you choice for recording?

You can try this: record as you normally do, then clone the track. I've done with a Yamaha PSR-E413 and it improves the sound a lot!

#1316582 - 12/02/09 09:07 AM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Ángel Santana]

Wow, some great advice here, thanks everyone! It's all a learning process. I have used Cakewalk in the past, so the whole midi thing makes sense now. I'll look into those software suggestions, Chris. I'm on a PC, so not sure if I can use Logic. Although I may mess around with vsts in audacity first.

Angel, yes, I don't like the sound as it gets recorded. I can always tell the difference between the sound of a digital piano and an acoustic. My goal is to make it sound as acoustic as possible smile. I've heard it done, so I'm looking to figure out how. I've listened to the recording quality on a stereo with good speakers and headphones too. I'm not sure what you mean by cloning the track. Can you pleas explain?

#1316589 - 12/02/09 09:15 AM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Morodiene]
Ángel Santana Offline

Yes, of course ;-)

You don't need a complex software to do this. You can use Audacity, as you mention above. You only need to record, then just create a new track, copy the track you recorded previously and copy into the new one. So you'll have two tracks with the same information. In this way the sound is more powerful, it works ver well with electric guitars too.

I hope this help you. Sorry, I not sure if you don't like the sound when you play normally, or only when you heard it after recording. Anywaym I think that if you can distinguish now you'll do always ;-)

#1316593 - 12/02/09 09:18 AM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Ángel Santana]
Ángel Santana Offline

Altought is not necessary a complex software for recording, it can help you to improve your sound, get a warmer tone... But the better is the source the better results you'll obtain. Don't expect miracles if you don't like the original sound.

#1316615 - 12/02/09 09:45 AM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Ángel Santana]

Angel, OK I understand now. I do like the sound of my digital piano, although, of course, it does sound like a DP, but certainly better than some I've heard. I think the recording process just seems to amplify the aspects that I don't like about the sound. I'll give that a try though, certainly can't hurt!

#1316623 - 12/02/09 09:57 AM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Morodiene]
Ángel Santana Offline

Yes, I doubt because I've tested your DP and I liked it, even has a very attractive modern design. In my experience, normally, when I record I get a warmer sound. Most of the digital instruments sound better connected via line-out or via headphones, unless they have a good speakers system, and that's not the rule. Curiosly, my Yamaha sounds better through its speakers than with headphones, in this way it sound VERY digital, as you said.

Let us know the results of your test!

Kind regards.

#1316666 - 12/02/09 11:14 AM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: ChrisA]

One question I have: I have Finale which came with Garritan instruments, including their Steinway. Can this be used with other programs, say Audacity?

#1316720 - 12/02/09 12:42 PM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: ChrisA]
Glenn NK Offline

Loc: Victoria BC
Originally Posted By: ChrisA

That's not the way it's typically done. Most people would choose to record the signal that is the "most un-processed" so as to preserve their options.

What you'd do is first capture the performance to a MIDI file. Then later in post production listen to the track as it plays through a software piano and decide on the piano sound that is best for that piece. Then maybe you notice a mistake and you edit that out. Next you work on the audio, maybe adding some EQ or reverb. Listen on monitors and then headphones. Software reverb units have a half dozen "knobs" that you can tweak Then finally you master this onto your output media, be that a CD or MP3. This is very straightforward when you have just one instrument.

With a band it gets harder. You might record 8 or 20 tracks at once. Then you might go back and have the guitar player do some more takes the next day. You might edit out some vocal defects and you can spend a month getting it right. But solo piano is a straight shot -- the rule is always to record the most un-processed signal

I'm quoting ChrisA because I've been doing this for quite a few years.

The advantages of recording a MIDI file are:

1) A MIDI file does not include any sound so that any instrument sound can be used for playback. As Chris pointed out, some songs are better with a specific piano sound.

2) MIDI files are relatively easy to edit. By edit, I mean one can change the pitch, location, duration, loudness of any note or notes. For example if you meant to hit middle C, and hit B instead, it's very easy to "fix" (we're not always perfect). I recorded a MIDI file once in what I would call "strict rubato". Later I decided it should have been in strict tempo - I fixed it in 15 minutes or so.

3) A MIDI file takes very little storage space (Beethoven's Appassionata is about 122 KB total, playing time about 25 minutes).

When I have recorded my MIDI file, I transfer it to my computer, and load it into a sequencer/midi editor. I personally use Power Tracks Pro Audio. For $49, it's a best buy.
http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.htm

When I've finished "fixing" my MIDI, I load it into Pianoteq to create the sound I want. This program physically models the piano sound (it does not use samples) and the sound is extremely changeable. Reverberation effects are included in this program, but I usually turn reverb off, and place the microphones at four locations to achieve this effect.
http://www.pianoteq.com/

This software contains a number of "preset" piano sounds that can very easily be altered to suit individual tastes. The demo is fully functioning, but some notes are disabled.

I will point out that the entire process has a learning curve (everything useful does), but the results are very satisfying.

Fortunately, both softwares have very good user forums where help is freely available.

Glenn

#1316759 - 12/02/09 01:37 PM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Glenn NK]

Thanks, Glenn. That is exactly what I'm thinking of doing. I was pretty impressed by the Pianoteq sound, although I think I liked Ivory's Steinway D better. The costs seem about the same for both.

Do you and any other posters have any sound examples of what you've done and what equipment you're using? I think it would be great to hear what post-production editing can do.

#1316798 - 12/02/09 02:46 PM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: ChrisA]
setchman Offline

Originally Posted By: setchman

ChrisA,

I did a pretty bad job explaining what I meant because everything you said I agree with. I guess I was a little too concise.

#1316809 - 12/02/09 03:02 PM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Morodiene]
setchman Offline

Do you and any other posters have any sound examples of what you've done and what equipment you're using? I think it would be great to hear what post-production editing can do.

I've heard this question asked once or twice before so here's a website I'm just finishing up.

BlackGrand.com

I thought it would be better if, rather than just throw up another personal blog, I make a site that others can actually benefit from. It is an experiment, to a certain degree, since I realize that there are a lot of different ways to share your music already. I just thought it would be helpful to people who are looking into a certain piece of equipment or software to be able to here and see what others are already doing.

This is sort of an unofficial announcement since I'm planing on posting a new topic to make it more widely known but I thought it was appropriate to mention here since it goes along with what Morodiene was asking.

#1316817 - 12/02/09 03:15 PM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: setchman]

Certainly, setchman...thanks for posting this!

#1316825 - 12/02/09 03:35 PM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Morodiene]
Glenn NK Offline

Blackgrand is interesting.

Have you considered providing your midis so we could create wave/mp3 files using our sources of sound?

Glenn

#1316831 - 12/02/09 03:42 PM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Glenn NK]

That's a cool idea Glenn! And setchman, I love the song Breaking Out...it's gorgeous! I also love the sound of the piano there.

#1316909 - 12/02/09 05:25 PM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Morodiene]
setchman Offline

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't intend on hijacking this thread so I just posted a new one.

Glenn,

I hadn't thought of that but I don't have a problem sharing my midis. I'll get them posted when I have a chance.

#1316977 - 12/02/09 07:13 PM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Morodiene]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

...My goal is to make it sound as acoustic as possible smile. I've heard it done, so I'm looking to figure out how. I've listened to the recording quality on a stereo with good speakers and headphones too. I'm not sure what you mean by cloning the track. Can you pleas explain?

You copy a section of the music. If you've got a midi capture then you can select (with a mouse) just one voice. and copy it to a parallel track. Then the trick is to make it slightly different and mix to the final stereo mix

Some drastic things you can do might be to transpose the pitch and assign the track to (say) a string section and mix that sound under the piano.

Once I made a string bass line from the roots of the left hand chords and then moved it down an octave.

A more subtle trick is to copy a track, delay it by a few milliseconds (3 to 12) and add it back. this adds "space" to the sound and such a small delay does not sound like an echo.

You can also do both. Once for fun I recorded a four hands piano plus bass guitar, woodwind and drum version of a theme from Greig's "morning mood" It was grossly over produced but fun to try. Back then I could only play "one finger piano" so it took hours to "play" all the parts.

To make the DP sound "acoustic" you really do have to put it in a mix. But mix it with what Well an altered copy of itself

Last night I think I decided that DPs sound and play different than acoustics because the DPs are near perfect while the acoustics not. (I had signed out a practice room at the college and inside was a 20+ year old Kawai piano that is literally played 12 hours a day, 6 days a week and gets tuning about every second year.)

To get that sound, you are going to have to "adjust" some pitches to make them "off" slightly. I'm serious, de-tune the DP using the software. Perfection is a dead give away that the piano is digital. I actually got this idea from the service manual for a Hammond organ I have, I cautions NOT to attempt "perfect" tune because the slight key to key "error" is what gives the Hammond it's characteristic sound.

So maybe flatten and sharpen a few keys by one or two "cents"

Edited by ChrisA (12/02/09 07:19 PM)

#1316984 - 12/02/09 07:23 PM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: ChrisA]
DragonPianoPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Morodiene,

There are some walk throughs on Mahlzeit's site.

www.pianoclues.com

Look under MIDI and Recording in the categories and you will find plenty of information.

Rich

#1317037 - 12/02/09 08:56 PM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: DragonPianoPlayer]

Interesting idea, Chris, but it sounds right, acoustics aren't perfect and so these imperfections make it work. It sounds a bit sophisticated for me, but I'll have to give it a try. I can't wait to be well again so I can go into my studio and play with this stuff. Of course, I'll have to teach then wink.

#1317039 - 12/02/09 08:56 PM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: DragonPianoPlayer]

Originally Posted By: DragonPianoPlayer
Morodiene,

There are some walk throughs on Mahlzeit's site.

www.pianoclues.com

Look under MIDI and Recording in the categories and you will find plenty of information.

Rich

That looks like a great resource, Rich. thanks!

#1320946 - 12/08/09 09:52 AM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Morodiene]

OK, so here's what I've been able to figure out so far. Below are two samples of the same music, one a recording directly from my FP-7 as a wav file via an Edirol UA-1ex usb interface, then converted to mp3. The second is as a midi file into Pianoteq and exported as mp3 file using their C3 Recording sound.

FP-7 recording: http://www.box.net/shared/a3by9ycnd2

Pianoteq C3: http://www.box.net/shared/xp9uy3sj5k

What do you think? I really like the Pianoteq version much better, of course. Any suggestions as to what else I could do to make it sound more realistic/acoustic?

#1320956 - 12/08/09 10:03 AM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Morodiene]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Both are good recordings, but I agree, the Pianoteq version is much better to my ears.

I would play around with all the various settings in PT, mic placement, and all the other settings, EQ, reverb, etc.

Damn! I just posted elsewhere, that while I love PT, it it not quite 'there' for me, but your recording is starting to change my mind again!!! :-)

#1320963 - 12/08/09 10:11 AM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: R0B]

I just have the trial version of PT. How do I change the mic settings? Or is that just the different "voice" selection?

edited to add: I think perhaps because I was playing Bach, which doesn't rely on a lot of low notes that it sounded pretty good. I was also going to play something Romantic to see how it held up.

Edited by Morodiene (12/08/09 10:12 AM)

#1320966 - 12/08/09 10:15 AM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Morodiene]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Just click on the microphone icon ( near the centre of the screen) It will open up a screen with a graphic of the piano, and choices for placing microphones. Just click and drag.

#1320967 - 12/08/09 10:16 AM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: R0B]

Oh! Cool!! OK, now time to fiddle some more smile

#1320993 - 12/08/09 11:06 AM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Morodiene]
setchman Offline

The Pianoteq version is noticeably better sounding to me, as well. I've only played with the demo myself so I can't offer any suggestions as to improving on what you've done but it sure sounds like you're on the right track.

#1321014 - 12/08/09 11:37 AM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: setchman]

So what piano brand does PT use for these? Steinways? Yamahas? I couldn't find it on their site anywhere.

#1321032 - 12/08/09 11:58 AM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Morodiene]
Martin C. Doege Offline

Loc: Hamburg, Germany
So what piano brand does PT use for these? Steinways? Yamahas? I couldn't find it on their site anywhere.

I always thought the C3 and M3 were supposed to be Steinways, while the YC5 is meant to be a Yamaha. But I don't think the modeling is good enough that you can really distinguish the brand based on sound alone, it's more a mellow vs bright thing...

#1321047 - 12/08/09 12:16 PM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Martin C. Doege]

So how exactly is modeling different than sampling?

#1321062 - 12/08/09 12:32 PM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Morodiene]
Martin C. Doege Offline

Loc: Hamburg, Germany
Sampling means recording a real, physical, acoustic piano.

Modeling instead simulates the whole physical system (hammers, strings, soundboard, case, air around the piano, microphones) to create the sound, which is very complicated to do in real-time, so the Pianoteq developers are supposedly using all kinds of mathematical tricks to make it feasible.

The advantage of modeling is that things like resonance between strings or a hammer striking a string that is still vibrating can be accurately taken into account, in a way that wouldn't even be possible with thousands of samples using the "normal", sample-based approach. The drawback is that modeled pianos still sound a little fake sometimes.

Edited by Martin C. Doege (12/08/09 12:33 PM)

#1321064 - 12/08/09 12:35 PM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Morodiene]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

So how exactly is modeling different than sampling?

A "sample" is when they place a microphone inside a piano and play one note and record it. Then when you play the note that recording is played back with volume adjusted by your key velocity

A "model" is where they create the sound based on theory. Some physicist figured out how a string vibrates when struck and how the energy from the string is coupled to the soundboard and then the air. The sound is computed mathematically.

It is not clear which is best. In my opinion I think a hybrid is best. That is samples that are modified in real time by a model. This is what Roland does in the Pianos.

The samples have a firm bse in reality and sound "real" because they are recording of a real piano. But models can account for more then just one note at a time play. They can model much more complex interactions and resonances.

There is a range and it is not black or white. Yamaha seems to depend mostly on samples. Pianoteq on models but the other companies seem to be headed for a middle ground.

Edited by ChrisA (12/08/09 12:40 PM)

#1321070 - 12/08/09 12:49 PM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: ChrisA]

Which software do you think reaches this middle ground the best then?

#1321105 - 12/08/09 01:54 PM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Morodiene]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

You will just have to go to this web site and listen. Go to the
"piano shoot-out" page and download a bunch of the MP3 to an iPod and spend a week listening. Not everyone here can agree which they like best. But after listening to each sample 10 or so times you will have your own opinion. But don't let yourself look at the names make sure your test is "blind". That is why I suggested the iPod.
http://purgatorycreek.com/

I like the souds in the newer Rolands like the RG700. But others don't. I like Apple's "Garage Band" samples of the Yamaha and Steinway too. I'm lucky because these samples are nearly free from Apple. But if you have better ears than I do, it could get expensive.

Edited by ChrisA (12/08/09 02:02 PM)

#1321148 - 12/08/09 02:53 PM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Morodiene]
setchman Offline

There are so may good libraries out there right now that I'd be afraid to suggest any single one over the other. If you're like many around here, you probably wouldn't be satisfied with just one anyway.

I find that, depending on my mood, or what kind of music I feel like playing at any given moment, I bounce around from one piano to the next depending on which one sounds the most "appropriate" for what I'm playing.

Just listen to as many as you can and eventually the ones that inspire you the most will eventually float to the top, so to speak.

#1321476 - 12/08/09 11:58 PM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Morodiene]
Glenn NK Offline

Sorry, I saw your post a few days ago, but part of my brain was sleeping.

An audio editor will do what you want.

I use: http://www.goldwave.com/

For a lifetime (literally) of free upgrades it costs $49 US. For a one year license it's $19 US.

I bought mine on-line seven or eight years ago - this year alone there were about five upgrades - no charge.

In addition to reverb, there are many more audio editing tools to modify the sound, plus it can splice together different wave files. I also use it to mix two tracks together; a piano track plus a vibraphone solo for example.

I would say that an audio editor is indispensable.

Glenn

PS - I use Pianoteq for my piano sound - beats my DP sound by a fair bit. Pianoteq also includes a reverb panel, but I have more success with Goldwave.

Edited by Glenn NK (12/09/09 12:00 AM)

#1321561 - 12/09/09 02:28 AM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Morodiene]
edt Offline

Morodiene, remember in the computer age, there is NO LIMIT. Anything you can imagine, you can do.

So for instance, you can

1) play your digital piano in a room, where you position the microphones by hand, listen with your ear and try to find the sweet spot in the room that makes it sound perfect, then record it to your computer. Then after it's in your computer, add additional reverb to taste. My favorite reverb vst right now is called "Roomworks" but you can choose whatever you like.

2) record to MIDI, then play it back on a soft piano, which has built in reverb and other controls. If you use a soft piano, I think it's worth paying a bit of money to get a really nice sound, like for native instruments, post musical instruments "old lady" pianoteq or sythogy. I don't like any of the free vst pianos because they aren't multisampled enough times for me, they are ok in a mix, but not good enough on their own.

3) record to MIDI, then send the MIDI back into your piano so your own piano plays your tune and listen to it. This will let you hear your piece as it is being performed and try all kinds of different settings instead of having to stop and change the settings and restart playing.

Your imagination should be the limit here.

Edited by edt (12/09/09 02:29 AM)

#1321651 - 12/09/09 09:45 AM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: ChrisA]

You will just have to go to this web site and listen. Go to the
"piano shoot-out" page and download a bunch of the MP3 to an iPod and spend a week listening. Not everyone here can agree which they like best. But after listening to each sample 10 or so times you will have your own opinion. But don't let yourself look at the names make sure your test is "blind". That is why I suggested the iPod.
http://purgatorycreek.com/

I like the souds in the newer Rolands like the RG700. But others don't. I like Apple's "Garage Band" samples of the Yamaha and Steinway too. I'm lucky because these samples are nearly free from Apple. But if you have better ears than I do, it could get expensive.

Chris, this is a great site! The one thing I wish they did is to make a chart of at least the software pianos to indicate the stats they detail on each one (which ones do sampling, which do modeling, etc.). Maybe I'll recommend that to them smile. I just picked the software that looked interesting, rather than listen to all of them. From what I've heard so far (not in the blind test) I'm partial to the Bosendorfer sound and not so much the Yamahas, which are too bright in the treble, IMO. But we'll see where the blind test leads me! laugh

#1321653 - 12/09/09 09:49 AM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Glenn NK]

Originally Posted By: Glenn NK
Sorry, I saw your post a few days ago, but part of my brain was sleeping.

An audio editor will do what you want.

I use: http://www.goldwave.com/

For a lifetime (literally) of free upgrades it costs $49 US. For a one year license it's $19 US.

I bought mine on-line seven or eight years ago - this year alone there were about five upgrades - no charge.

In addition to reverb, there are many more audio editing tools to modify the sound, plus it can splice together different wave files. I also use it to mix two tracks together; a piano track plus a vibraphone solo for example.

I would say that an audio editor is indispensable.

Glenn

PS - I use Pianoteq for my piano sound - beats my DP sound by a fair bit. Pianoteq also includes a reverb panel, but I have more success with Goldwave.

Interesting, Glenn. So in addition to the piano software's effects, I can add stuff from other programs, and you think those are better than the piano software effects? I'll have to look into this a bit once I've decided on which piano software to buy. Don't want to get overwhelmed! smile

#1321799 - 12/09/09 01:26 PM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Morodiene]
setchman Offline

I've used GoldWave for a long time and can vouch for the fact that it is a very good program. If you want to play around with a similar program that's free I would recommend Wavosaur. The one thing that Wavosaur can do, for now anyway, that GoldWave can't is take advantage of VST effects, which are all of those separate add-on effects that Glenn was referring to.

The built-in effects that come with the any of the virtual pianos are a very good starting point and are great especially for just playing the piano, when you're not necessarily wanting to record anything. Once you've advanced to the point that you're ready to record I believe that many effects plugins that are available, either for free or commercially, are far better than what's included with the virtual pianos.

The one recommendation I will make is that if you are going to invest in a program like GoldWave that you at least look into purchasing a full-blown DAW such as Reaper. Reaper is not the only DAW out there worth looking into but, IMHO, a true digital audio workstation will be better in the long run for anyone looking to do a lot of recording. If for no other reason than, with a program like GoldWave, it does not allow (at least not yet) for "real-time" processing of the add-on effects and, as mentioned earlier, does not yet support VST effects, although its website says it soon will.

All this means is that, with a DAW, you can create a track with your virtual piano, record your performance as a MIDI file, edit your MIDI performance, apply all of your effects in real-time, experimenting to your hearts content with all of the various plugin's settings and then export your performance to an MP3. A program like GoldWave will not even allow you to load a virtual instrument into it because that's not what the program is for. It's not an all-in-one solution for recording virtual instruments.

Sorry to add another layer of complexity to your decision but it's something to consider, especially before you start spending any money.

#1321910 - 12/09/09 03:26 PM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: setchman]
Glenn NK Offline

Morodiene and Setchman:

Some good points. There have been requests for VST in Goldwave for several years now. And I suspect that they are working on it.

The support from Goldwave is excellent, and the online forum is very helpful. The $49 is soon recovered when a program is supported.

I've also heard very good things about Reaper from some others on the Pianoteq forum, but as one poster said, it has a steep learning curve. Not something I would recommend to someone just starting out in this business.

Another option that I rarely see mentioned (I've been using it for seven years or so) is Power Tracks Pro Audio. it too is very reasonably priced, has excellent support, and a very good forum. I guess it would be called a sequencer (it also records). I use it extensively for editing midi files (unlike most pianists, I can never seem to lay down a perfect midi track).

http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.htm

It's a big scary world out there in the digital music field, but very interesting, useful and fun.

It will take some time to get a feel for it.

As for the effects on the DP, I think there is much more that can be done in a DAW.

Glenn

Edited by Glenn NK (12/09/09 03:28 PM)

#1321931 - 12/09/09 03:54 PM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Glenn NK]

I did download Reaper and I've been futzing my way through it, though there's still a lot I am discovering at this point. Some of the features are similar to way back when I played around with Cakewalk, but there are tons of things I'll have to figure out. Good thing there are help files smile

#1321942 - 12/09/09 04:10 PM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Morodiene]
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
+1 one the Reaper recommendation. Very powerful package for the money.

Reaper also has a very helpful community, so if you get stuck check out their forums.

Of course you could ask 'round here too as I am sure there are many seasoned Reaper users.

#1321965 - 12/09/09 04:40 PM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Morodiene]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I'm partial to the Bosendorfer sound and not so much the Yamahas, which are too bright in the treble, IMO. But we'll see where the blind test leads me! laugh

That's what I figured out right quick, that all of the samples are good enough that those sampled from a Yamaha sound like a Yamaha and same for Steinway and so on. The next level is to find out who does the best job of sampling and look at the prices.

At this point, price has me using Apple's samples.

Edited by ChrisA (12/09/09 06:22 PM)

#1321982 - 12/09/09 04:56 PM Re: Piano software post-recording editing [Re: Triryche]
setchman Offline

Originally Posted By: Triryche
Very powerful package for the money. Reaper also has a very helpful community, so if you get stuck check out their forums.

This is precisely why I would never hesitate to recommend it. You'll never have trouble finding someone willing to help out. I agree that there are other programs that are probably more user-friendly "out-of-the-box" but, as with everything else, there are always compromises. The price for Reaper is a huge selling point.

I don't know if any of you ever worked with Tracktion much but I always thought it was the easiest, most logical and quickest way to get started with a DAW but I could never recommend it because Mackie seems to have completely forgotten about it. It hasn't been update in ages and probably never will be. It was a great program for those just getting into DAWs, though.

I don't consider myself an expert in Reaper by any means but when I have a few minutes I might create a few how-to videos and post them on my website. They'd be pretty basic and would cover simple things like how to set up a track with a virtual piano on it and load some simple effects. I realize it can be a bit intimidating when you first open the program but once you've seen it done, it's really not that bad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
127 registered (BarryR, beet31425, Almaviva, ajames, 43 invisible), 1414 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75890 Members
42 Forums
156821 Topics
2304262 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need help with a piano purchase
by Freece65
32 minutes 58 seconds ago
Just Tuned a Kawai 5'10" Grand Piano KG-2E
by Paul678
37 minutes 2 seconds ago
Yamaha NU1 or Roland HP508
by francis0423
Today at 09:12 PM
How Much Can I Sell My Kawai KG-3C?
by barryman9000
Today at 07:38 PM
Chord changes to 'Sixty Years On'
by Visalia
Today at 06:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission