Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1237938 - 07/27/09 12:47 AM Torn between Roland HP 307 and Kawai CA 91
chihuahua Offline

Loc: An Oligarchy
Hi folks,

Which is the preferred DP for you between the two above models?

Would like to hear some advice before purchase ... THKS!!!

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1237939 - 07/27/09 12:48 AM Re: Torn between Roland HP 307 and Kawai CA 91 [Re: chihuahua]
henrik Offline

Loc: malaysia
well, both are good, reputable and DIFFERENT in key feel and sounds

which one looks better and more inspiring to you?

#1237947 - 07/27/09 01:13 AM Re: Torn between Roland HP 307 and Kawai CA 91 [Re: henrik]
chihuahua Offline

The touch of the Kawai feels closer to an acoustic, but the piano sound of the Roland is more attractive for me. That's my humble opinion (emphasis).

So, well, yes ... I'm torn between the two.

Both these models are actually offered at a reasonable price here in Singapore, with little price difference ...

#1237949 - 07/27/09 01:18 AM Re: Torn between Roland HP 307 and Kawai CA 91 [Re: chihuahua]
henrik Offline

Loc: malaysia
wow that's a pretty tough decision

IMHO, the sound is more important. I guess though, u COULD get used to Roland's keys by time

#1237984 - 07/27/09 05:33 AM Re: Torn between Roland HP 307 and Kawai CA 91 [Re: henrik]
Geoffk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Really, they're both excellent, so it's really up to you. I also preferred the sound of the Roland and found the touch to also be fine, so I went for the HP-207. The Roland also has more additional sounds and features. But there are lots of Kawai fans here, and the Kawai action is more physically similar to an acoustic in how it's built.

A Yamaha CLP-380 would also be a good choice.

#1238038 - 07/27/09 09:30 AM Re: Torn between Roland HP 307 and Kawai CA 91 [Re: Geoffk]
chihuahua Offline

CLP 380 in Singapore is MUCH more expensive compared with the HP 207 or the CA 91. Wonder if it's worth the difference (3k difference!).

#1238057 - 07/27/09 10:09 AM Re: Torn between Roland HP 307 and Kawai CA 91 [Re: chihuahua]
fj_s Offline

Loc: Singapore
Is it an acoustic replacement for night practice? If so, I found the Kawai touch to be a lot more authentic.

Have you tried tweaking around with the sound settings till you get a sound that you like? I hated the default Kawai sounds, but kept changing tweaking all the various settings till I got a sound I liked.

The CLP 370 is quite nice too if it's just the touch.

(I was looking at the Mp8ii, but got a P-155 in the end because of price and space.)

Mozart: Sonata in D Major, k576
Chopin: Polonaise in A-flat major, Op 53
Berg: Sonata in B minor, Op 1
Bach: Partita in C Minor, BWV 826

#1238432 - 07/27/09 07:43 PM Re: Torn between Roland HP 307 and Kawai CA 91 [Re: fj_s]
chihuahua Offline

Originally Posted By: fj_s
Is it an acoustic replacement for night practice? If so, I found the Kawai touch to be a lot more authentic.

Exactly. I think banging on my grand in the dead of the night isn't a good idea :P

Your suggestion is interesting ... maybe I should try tweaking with the kawai sound as well.

The CLP 370 would be in the same price vicinity as the HP 207 and the CA 31. Problem is, all these brands aren't usually sold side by side, so it's not easy to compare everything.

If there's a store in Singapore which has most of these models together, do give me a PM.

#1238606 - 07/28/09 01:32 AM Re: Torn between Roland HP 307 and Kawai CA 91 [Re: chihuahua]
eJohn Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I don't know how the Kawai is built, but the proof is in the playing. To me, the touch does not feel authentic. The Kawai feels very light (almost toy-like), and the dynamic response is uneven. This is in comparison to the Roland, which I think feels very realistic for a digital, and the Yamaha, which comes in second. But don't take anyone's word for it (even mine). As Geoffk says, there are many Kawai fans here. You have to test the pianos yourself - and play a nice Steinway grand along side for comparison.

Edited by eJohn (07/28/09 01:34 AM)

#1238611 - 07/28/09 01:35 AM Re: Torn between Roland HP 307 and Kawai CA 91 [Re: eJohn]
chihuahua Offline

I was considering the Kawai CA 91 until I googled the problems on this model i.e. production quality, keyboard problems, note drop-off etc.

Now I'm having 2nd thoughts about it!

#1238625 - 07/28/09 02:04 AM Re: Torn between Roland HP 307 and Kawai CA 91 [Re: chihuahua]
fj_s Offline

Loc: Singapore
The MP8 was the perfect keyboard when it came to touch.

Rather unfortunately, they lightened it for the MP8II. (According to the sales person, it's partly because a lot of digital players, e.g. those that play for churches, bands, etc actually don't want a heavy touch.)

I still prefer the touch of the MP8II to the Roland though. That being said, the Roland sound is better, and that influences how the touch is perceived. If you can find an MP8, do consider trying it out.

Mozart: Sonata in D Major, k576
Chopin: Polonaise in A-flat major, Op 53
Berg: Sonata in B minor, Op 1
Bach: Partita in C Minor, BWV 826

#1316826 - 12/02/09 03:36 PM Re: Torn between Roland HP 307 and Kawai CA 91 [Re: fj_s]
joe80 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

go for the one you like the sound of better. the roland keys are light but responsive. i have a yamaha cp-300 which is great too.

#1316834 - 12/02/09 03:47 PM Re: Torn between Roland HP 307 and Kawai CA 91 [Re: fj_s]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: fj_s

I still prefer the touch of the MP8II to the Roland though. That being said, the Roland sound is better,

Buy the Kawai MP8II, a MIDI cable and a Roland "Fantom" sound modual. Not cheap but gets you exactly what you asked for.
http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=590&ParentId=20

Edited by ChrisA (12/02/09 04:02 PM)

#1316848 - 12/02/09 04:16 PM Re: Torn between Roland HP 307 and Kawai CA 91 [Re: ChrisA]
snazzyplayer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Earth
The Kawai MP8II didn't impress these fingers.

I have no axe to grind as far as brands go, so I can say without hesitation, that the Roland HP-307 is the better instrument overall....better touch, and better sound...strictly my opinion, however.

Sticking a Roland Fantom sound module to an MP8II with a MIDI cable might work very well indeed for some (clever suggestion, ChrisA), but most people prefer the look of an all-in-one instrument, especially if it is to be in the living room, or other main room of the house.

If it's in a studio, it won't matter too much, but you will have to get accustomed to using and setting up MIDI channels and such.

Snazzy

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Learning a piece under a deadline, good results?
by ChopinLives81
Today at 10:05 PM
Gors Spangenberg
by PhilipInChina
Today at 09:28 PM
Help with Korg M1
by bonesy
Today at 09:12 PM
Screw stringer parts needed
by tenspan
Today at 08:58 PM
You must like every major composer
by JoelW
Today at 07:32 PM
Who's Online
112 registered (angga888, a-z0-9, Almaviva, AnimistFvR, accordeur, 26 invisible), 1263 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76620 Members
42 Forums
158430 Topics
2326617 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission