2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brennbaer, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1317872 12/03/09 09:10 PM
C
CRose Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I'm planning to purchase a Casio Celviano AL-150R off of craigslist this weekend for $850. It's been a hard piano to get much info on (beyond the stock press releases) since it was discontinued a while back, but from what I can tell this is a fair to good price for this model. I'm hoping somebody here with more knowledge about this than myself can either confirm or deny that.

Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by CRose; 12/03/09 09:20 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Here's a good description of the piano...I've never played one.

http://www.instrumentalsavings.com/product-p/al150r.htm

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
C
CRose Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I actually also found a Celviano AL-100R (same piano, but brown) for $350 on craigslist. But that one would require six hours more of driving to retrieve and I prefer black so I'm going with the 150. (Even though the bargain hunter in me wants to take a road trip.)

In addition to any opinions on whether I should be happy with the $850 price tag, I'd love to hear from anyone who has some first hand experience with this piano.

Last edited by CRose; 12/04/09 01:09 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
No, I don't think it's a good deal at all.

The reason why you can't find any information about that model is that it's quite old. I'm not sure exactly how old but from the specs it should be at least 7 years old. Floppy disks? I can't even find any computer sold with a floppy disk drive nowadays. Anyway, the one thing I'm sure is that it's older than 3 generations from the current lineup, and since improvements are done each generation (these are electronic products with a high turnover rate) the older models are are worth lesser for the simple reason that the newer ones are better (in functionality, touch, realism, sampling, etc.) I own 2 Casio DPs - one from the previous generation and a current-gen one, and I can tell and feel the difference in both. The newer one is more responsive and has a much better touch.

For $850 you can buy a brand-new, current generation Casio DP. I think you can get the the slim-console type Casio Privia PX-730 for less than that in the US. If you want the bigger Celviano console type, I think the current-gen Celvianos cost more or less $1300. You may even be able to get a big discount on closing-out sales for the previous generation of Celvianos if you look.

Working on: Schumann Album for the Young, Clementi Op 36 No. 1 (all movements), Various Bach, Czerny 599
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +
C
CRose Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the response marimorimo!

You've officially given me cold feet on the AL-150R for $850.

What about the AL-100R? That lady is willing to go as low as $300 and estimates that they only put about 30 hours of playing time on the piano. It seems to me that one might be a nice transition piano for me (I haven't had a piano to play in 10 years). At that price I think I could turn around sell it in a year or two without incurring much of a loss, if any.

Or do you think the technology and feel of the piano is likely so dated that it wouldn't be worth it even at $300?

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission