Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1317463 - 12/03/09 11:17 AM Help with Piano (CDP-100/200R)
AdventCloud Offline

Currently Im saving up for a piano Im about $200 in might get a few hundred for chirstmas but Im looking for a piano for the absolute beginner who wants to learn to play songs hear and there and possibly to play by ear and eventually read notes. Itll take some time but im not in a rush. Well maybe for the first song or two. The pieces I want to learn vary from Video Game Music to classical music. Some of the songs I would like to learn are

Main Theme from Final Fantasy 7
Numb by lincon Park
Wim Mertens - Struggle for pleasure
River Flows in You by Yiruma

Those are just a few of the songs I would like to learn, but I need a decent piano to learn on and Im thinking the CDP may be the best option for me and I was just hoping to get your guys reviews on these pianos and if theres possibly a better one to fit my needs. Thanks

P.S. My final price range will probably be around $500

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1317468 - 12/03/09 11:20 AM Re: Help with Piano (CDP-100/200R) [Re: AdventCloud]
Huygens Offline

Loc: Sweden
CDP-200R is go. A DP for a nice price.

#1317481 - 12/03/09 11:38 AM Re: Help with Piano (CDP-100/200R) [Re: AdventCloud]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
The CDP100 is selling for $300 right now. But you may want the features of the 200. I think Casio is the only real option for people with $500 or less to spend.

The biggest thing is to start. You can't set your sights on something so expensive that you will never have it. You might decide what to get based on what you can have in the nearer term

#1317482 - 12/03/09 11:41 AM Re: Help with Piano (CDP-100/200R) [Re: ChrisA]
AdventCloud Offline

Hmm are you saying I should probably get the CDP-100? As of right now I cant find a place online anyway thats selling the CDP-200R in the USA that is would you know if its out in Europe only if it is whats the release date out in the US. If its to late then I may have to settle for the CDP-100 becuase I really want to start learning now. Where can you find the CDP-100 for $300?

#1317535 - 12/03/09 12:39 PM Re: Help with Piano (CDP-100/200R) [Re: AdventCloud]
Vincent L. Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
If it is piano that you are interested in, I would look at the Casio PX-130 as well. Less extra voices, but better piano sound and action than the CDP series.
Now, that said, Costco had a couple of months ago the CDP 200 with stand and bench for sale at less than $450.

#1317552 - 12/03/09 01:02 PM Re: Help with Piano (CDP-100/200R) [Re: AdventCloud]
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
The Casio WK-200 is a good option. Since you're a new learner, you might want to get one of the Casios that has the Step-Up learning system, where the notes and fingerings for about 150 songs are built in and come up on a lcd screen. It's easy to read, and they also provide the songbook with all the songs in the keyboard. You can learn songs hands separate and hands together and there are stages of the learning process.

The best part about it is that you can learn phrase by phrase. The preset phrases are a few measures long, but you can also change that. There are hundreds of voices, a 6 track recorder. It's got 76 keys and is partially weighted. It also has a USB port.

The usual retail price is $199, but it goes on sale for $179 periodically, and I got a refurbished unit for $139 and free shipping.

Not as nice as the CDP 200 but a lot cheaper.

#1317986 - 12/04/09 12:26 AM Re: Help with Piano (CDP-100/200R) [Re: Nikalette]
AdventCloud Offline

Hmm Ill have to think about it I saw the WK-210 at costco for 140 so Im tempted but still unsure seeing as the CDP-200 is fully weighted and has all 88 keys. This is a very hard decision.

#1318011 - 12/04/09 01:09 AM Re: Help with Piano (CDP-100/200R) [Re: AdventCloud]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: AdventCloud
Hmm are you saying I should probably get the CDP-100? As of right now I cant find a place online anyway thats selling the CDP-200R in the USA that is would you know if its out in Europe only if it is whats the release date out in the US. If its to late then I may have to settle for the CDP-100 becuase I really want to start learning now. Where can you find the CDP-100 for $300?

The weighted 88-key pianos are best if the goal is to learn piano. For pop music synth sounds go with something else.

I didn't say which to get, just that you should get the one you can afford rather then wait half a year.

None of these are lifetime investments. You buy and sell them like computers and iPods. A year from now you will know a lot more and have developed a better ear. So don't spend a fortune on the first piano

Guitar Center had a $299 price tag on the CDP100 last weekend. This week they are running a $50 off coupon but the price is at $350.

Just go in there to GC and borrow a "learn to play" book off their rack and see if you can get though the first few pages of the book. Be sure and ask them to put the keyboard on a stand set to the proper height and then find a piano bench

After 30 minutes the sales guys will notice you are still there and must be serious and ask what they can do to "help you buy it today" Ask for 15% off, zero percent financing and if you can keep the book, You'll get half of what you ask for.

Edited by ChrisA (12/04/09 01:10 AM)

#1318118 - 12/04/09 08:49 AM Re: Help with Piano (CDP-100/200R) [Re: ChrisA]
AdventCloud Offline

Thanks I think ill try that. Ill get the feel for that piano and see which one I like better then make my choice. Who would of thought it would be this hard just to decide what piano I should get. Thanks for all your help. If anyone else has comments reviews Id love to hear them too.

#1318182 - 12/04/09 10:26 AM Re: Help with Piano (CDP-100/200R) [Re: AdventCloud]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
Advent,
The CDP 200 is not offered in the United States at this time. If you want something with sounds you can look at the Casio PX-575 or the PX-330. These two models have additional sounds and rhythms They are arranger digital pianos. Not sure what you are looking for and how much you have to spend. The PX-575 is equivalent to the CDP 200 in terms of amount of sounds and retails for $599. The PX-330 is a new model that has less sounds than the PX-575 but is a bit mor versatil in that it has line out jacks plus midi and a lot more polyphony than the 575 or CDP 200. The PX-575 is a 3 year old model that is due for a revamp. It's main drawback is its limited polyphony which is 32, but it is very nice for the money and has some fantastic sounds if that is what your after. If you are a beginner, you can also take a look at the PX-130 which does not have as many sounds, but is perfect for someone starting out. You should be able to get one of these for between $400-500. This would be a better option than the CDP-100. It has the newest keyboard action and has a 4 layer piano sample and would be better that the PX575, CDP100 or CDP200.

#1318445 - 12/04/09 04:45 PM Re: Help with Piano (CDP-100/200R) [Re: galaxy4t]
AdventCloud Offline

At most my price is about $500 I have to many other things to spend more but at this rate im just getting more and more confused. Im going to have to talk to my friends mom who is a piano teacher as well as visit a few stores and test out there pianos to see what I like best unfortunatly I dont know what to look for since Im such a beginner. The px-130 does look nice though.

#1318708 - 12/05/09 12:02 AM Re: Help with Piano (CDP-100/200R) [Re: AdventCloud]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
Advent,
By all means you should take your time and do not rush into this. Definately sit down and play whatever you are considering. Take a good pair of headphones to sample the sound. You will notice that the actions on keyboards are different between brands. You need to take note of what you like both sound and touch wise. If you decide on a basic piano, the PX-130 would be worth looking at and trying out. I think this would be a better choice than the CDP 100--but be sure and play this too. The comments on these forums can be helpful, but remember you need to make the final decision based on what you've played.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
87 registered (accordeur, Anticlock, Atrys, Art_Vandelay, 27 invisible), 1283 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75609 Members
42 Forums
156347 Topics
2296303 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Debussy's opinion of other composers
by phantomFive
Today at 12:37 AM
Ivory v. Plastic Questions
by Retsacnal
Yesterday at 11:50 PM
The worst student in your studio
by Cardinal201
Yesterday at 11:43 PM
Piano Movers
by DancerJ
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
Yamaha P-85 closer to a Grand Piano action than any Upright!
by Paul678
Yesterday at 07:22 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission