2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, 11 invisible), 1,905 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hi. I have a Yamaha p155 and am looking to buy good studio monitors to make the sound better. I'm sure there were a million posts before on this topic before but I figure I'll ask again.

What are some really good studio monitors and what are their price ranges? What do you think is one with the best value? Would they make the p155 have sound comparable to a Clarinova? Thanks!!!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I recommend Logitech Z-2300 stereo speaker system, with sub woofer.

I have three of them and use them on my arranger keyboards (Yamaha Tyros3, Korg PA2Xpro)and on my Yamaha P-85 digital piano.

One of the best, if not the best stereo speaker system you can buy...great value, very high quality, and above all, excellent sound reproduction.

You can pay more for other systems, but you wont necessarily get more quality.

My own personal opinions, of course, but I have several friends that use the same system with the same great results.

If your requirements mean actual studio monitors for recording purposes (flat response etc), then you should go with a pair of dedicated studio monitors.

The Logitech Z-2300 is just a terrific speaker system.

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
Snazzy - do you have any experience with blue sky monitors? I've been using their MediaDesk 2.1; really impressive.

Alden Skinner
DP Technical Advisor, PianoBuyer Magazine
| VSL Imperial | Pianoteq Pro | Logic Pro |
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Alden
Snazzy - do you have any experience with blue sky monitors? I've been using their MediaDesk 2.1; really impressive.

Never tried them, Alden, but I've heard good things about them.

I've mixed on Yamaha NS10m for more time than I want to admit. I've tried other monitors, but I always end up coming back to the Yamaha.

Of course, they are only really good for studio work.

That's why I bought the Logitech Z-2300...they are a lovely "home speaker" system, that work very well with arranger keyboards and digital pianos.

Wicked "bang for the buck".

Blue Sky seem to be making a good name for themselves.

Snazzy

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by AdamBrown
Hi. I have a Yamaha p155 and am looking to buy good studio monitors to make the sound better.

The lowest priced monitors that would be as good or better then a Clavinova would be the m-audio BX5a for about $300 a pair.

I'd stay away from anything margeted to PC video games and Home Theater systems. This temd to be optimized the sounds of car crashes, explosions and have exagerated bass. Speakers designed for studios are flat and accurate.

The best thing to do is bring a CD recording of a solo piano work you like and listen to that in the store and be objective, ask yourself if you can hear certain things or not, you WILL in the very high end speakers be able to hear (say) the felt damper hitting a string or the pitch changing on a long sustained note that you miss on cheap speakers. Keep a tally of what is heard and missed on. Don't let total volume level fool you -- most people thng louder is better, so tuen them all down low and equal so as not to be biased by that.

If you have more than $300 you might look at some KRK.

Speaker placement will mater a LOT. (Maybe even mre than speaker selection.) You may find some unconventional placement might work well, like facing up it you have the piano backed up to a wall (the wall will act as a reflector.) The room you are in detrmines the best placcment.

Also you might try using two sets, small ones up at ear level with a larger pair below the level of the keyboard facing up, down or backwards.

For public performance a big PA system is best, a pair of 100W amps and some PA speakers with 12" drivers. You'd need at least that to simulate a real concert grand.

Or save yourself a pile of money and get headphones. I just bbought a pair of KK240 to replace a 25 year old pair of K240 that finally broke,

Last edited by ChrisA; 12/05/09 08:06 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You can get the Logitech 2.1 Z-2300 for $126.95 - $175.62 depending on where you buy. Prices are in USD.

I first heard about them on several keyboard forums I was on, and although I was skeptical at first, I bought them, took them home and hooked them up to my Tyros.

I fired up a style, hit synch start and played a chord...the opening guitar riff sounded crunchy and clear, with the sub-woofer offering subtle and smooth low-end accompaniment.

The drums kicked in and the bass guitar followed, the bass never detracted from the speakers' excellent clarity in the mid-to-high frequencies, even at maximum volume. All the while, the set provided the kind of thump and low-end resonance most would associate with a great PA system at a live show.

Unlike those on many 2.1 setups, the Z-2300's sub-woofer seemed capable of providing stellar sound at both moderate and extreme bass levels.

I then plugged in my P-85 Piano.

The clarity of the high notes, and no tubbiness in the mids and lows, convinced me this 2.1 stereo speaker system, although originally designed for computers and home theatre, is an awesome system for amplifying your keyboards at home.

I wouldn't gig with the system, as the speakers are short throw, and are best in a medium sized room, but what an incredible sound! The bass notes of the P-85 had that "clank" you get when playing a real grand's lowest notes.

So, the bottom line is, that at around $150, the Logitech Z-2300 speakers are an excellent investment. My minor gripes were about the wiring and the nonadjustable angle of the speakers but they are truly minimal when weighed against the audio's superb power and accuracy.

Simply put, they sound magnificent...I have several other monitor speakers and the Logitech are simply better for keyboards. They are not flat response like studio monitors...they are designed to enhance the sound, but not disguise it.

I went out and bought two more systems right away...haven't regretted it for a second.

They even have a remote control...how cool is that!

Snazzy

+1 on the Z-2300. I just replaced mine, but had to make a significant jump in price to make the change sonically worth while.

I do miss the remote a little...

Alden Skinner
DP Technical Advisor, PianoBuyer Magazine
| VSL Imperial | Pianoteq Pro | Logic Pro |
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
The Polk Audio "M" series are embarrassingly good for the money. hey are floor standing hifi speakers about 34 inchs heigh and 7 inches wide. The drivers are mounted ner the top. If you Google you can find the M50 for $99. Finished in bllack they don't look bad next to the piano. They can fill a room with sound levels that border on "un-comfortable", certanly to loud to talk over. With the high mounted drivers they are like small speakers with built-in stands and fit well with the size of the piano. You need at least 50W per channel to drive them. Any kind of a audio power amp would do. I use an old Luxman for the 1970's

Google found these M50 for cheap. The M60 are better and M20 not as good. But $62 here is a steal.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290013R

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Can't say I found the M series all that hot. Certainly not comparable to the Logitech.

They are cheap for a reason.

Considering we are ultimately playing the speaker, I'd not want to skimp on a sound system. Buy a quality piano, and run it through a $99 speaker system just don't seem right to me, but to each his own.

Wasn't it you Chris, who said better speakers/amps in a piano, were more important than the latest technology? I thought I saw that on one of your posts....maybe it wasn't you.

The Z-2300 are easily worth what you pay for them. I know more than a few using them on keyboards and pianos, and they are mighty pleased.

But, I'm not here to argue; I'm just here to give qualified answers based on my long experience in the music business. We're here to help, not to win.

Snazzy

B
B
snazzy,

I am also very happy with the 2.1 systems from Cambridge Soundworks that I use with my instruments--in home use, of course. The Logitech seems to be about 25% more powerful than my bigger Soundworks system for the same price(200 Watts v. 160 Watts). Wow! The great thing about these 2.1 systems for home use is that the 1/8th inch plug, (or adapted to 1/4) goes right to the headphone jack on those DP's without lines-out. And the very modest price of these well designed, powerful, and balanced little systems. Why make improving the sound of tiny-speaker, 16 Watt DPs such big a deal?

Bob M

Charles Walter Model 1520
Yamaha NP 30, NP 11, PSR E333
J
J
If you are going to gig with them you'll need speakers that not only sound good, but sound good loud. High efficiency is a plus. PA speakers are, of course, loud, but have an uneven frequency response - too bright and generally lacking on the very bottom end. Studio monitors, on the other hand, are supposed to be flat, and some even sound good, but may not be best for playing with a group (I'm not talking rock band volume, just jazz quintet volume).
By the way, I use a pair of Klipsch Kg4's which have been out of production since I was a young guy.

Al

Baldwin L - Rhodes 73
Yamaha P250 - Nord NP88

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission