Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1319515 - 12/06/09 11:48 AM New Piano for beginner (I have an Idea)
AdventCloud Offline

Well Im having alot of trouble deciding what piano to get ive gotten alot of help and great reviews but its still a really hard decision especially with money. I do have an idea though and was just curious as to your guys thoughts. Since I need more money to buy a better piano but also want to play already so I dont lose my spark I was planning on going to buy a piano a month and return the last one before the 30 day money back guarentee is up so I would say this month buy the

WX-210 - $140
CDP-100 - $350
CDP-200 if its out
PX-130 - $500
and so on

There might be a few inbetween before i can work up to the more expensive ones but thats my idea so i can get practice and work on new pianos. I can even give you guys reviews on all of them. So what do you think?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1319543 - 12/06/09 12:30 PM Re: New Piano for beginner (I have an Idea) [Re: AdventCloud]
feeble Offline

Loc: South Dakota
If you return a product you have purchased because you really don't like it or are having problems with it that is one thing, but IMO it is not ethical to buy something knowing you plan on returning it.

Studiologic SL-990xp | Ivory II Grands | Pianoteq | Alicia's Keys

#1319747 - 12/06/09 06:53 PM Re: New Piano for beginner (I have an Idea) [Re: feeble]
AdventCloud Offline

Umm ya ethics right im not taking that into account on this one. So whats your other guys opinions on this one im talking more on the learning side or other sides but not really ethics...sorry i just couldnt help my self on that part but no really i do want to learn and this seems like the best thing i can do till i can get a decent piano since i want to start now and anyway I dont care much about big corporate business id only feel bad if it was a mom n pap store, which where ill be buying wont be.

Edited by AdventCloud (12/06/09 06:56 PM)

#1319755 - 12/06/09 07:13 PM Re: New Piano for beginner (I have an Idea) [Re: AdventCloud]
snazzyplayer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Earth
I wouldn't do it, and I'm not the picture of purity.

I used to think a virtuoso was a musician with real high morals.

Seriously, it's not very ethical, and the law of compensation says "what goes around comes around."

Bad Karma, my friend...I know I wouldn't go there.

Snazzy

#1319759 - 12/06/09 07:29 PM Re: New Piano for beginner (I have an Idea) [Re: snazzyplayer]
AdventCloud Offline

Well i already am so I would like other opinions about what pianos i should get, its not bad karma for doing that I see nothing wrong with it someone will eventually be getting my money and its the piano that deserves it most if i find one that i truly like then i will stay with it if not oh well Ill move on it would only be bad if i did that and didnt ever stay with a piano ill only be doing this for a few months while a can raise the money for a better one, moneys hard to come by and you have to do what you have to do.

Edited by AdventCloud (12/06/09 07:30 PM)

#1319769 - 12/06/09 07:54 PM Re: New Piano for beginner (I have an Idea) [Re: AdventCloud]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
You may as well go with the lowest priced DP. That would be the CDP100 for $350. Except there is currently a $50 off coupon at guitar center so it works out to $300.

#1319770 - 12/06/09 08:00 PM Re: New Piano for beginner (I have an Idea) [Re: ChrisA]
AdventCloud Offline

Thanks how long do you think the $50 coupon will last and where can i get it. I may get the WK-210 first for 140 at costco then upgrade to the cdp in a month though. are there any other inbetween pianos for those and then after the cdp-100? Thanks.

#1319773 - 12/06/09 08:09 PM Re: New Piano for beginner (I have an Idea) [Re: AdventCloud]
marimorimo Offline

Loc: Kingdom of Nodame
Just get the PX-130. You wouldn't need to replace it after a month - it'll serve your purpose for quite a while. When more money comes in, you can just add the stand and 3-pedal unit to go with it. Or just get a regular stand and an aftermarket pedal (the pedal only costs about $35).
30th Week Playing Piano
--------------------------------------------
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +
--------------------------------------------

#1319784 - 12/06/09 08:27 PM Re: New Piano for beginner (I have an Idea) [Re: marimorimo]
AdventCloud Offline

I cant offerd it in the first place thats why im waiting to save up for it and doing what im planning to do now. I have to deal with the costs of aviation at the moment so its going to take awhile. If i did have the money to put it all in then i would get the px-130. Till then this is the only option so im just looking for the pianos i should get in order ill be adding about 100 to each piano i get if that helps

#1319795 - 12/06/09 08:43 PM Re: New Piano for beginner (I have an Idea) [Re: AdventCloud]
david_a Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I don't say what I am about to say lightly.

This return every month thing is a stupid idea. Not only that, it's an oldest-trick-in-the-book stupid idea. It's stupid for you, not just for me. I'm not talking about ethics, though there's that too; I'm talking about getting caught. And if you were not worried about getting caught, then you would never have posted this so don't lie.

If you can't afford a keyboard, then (gasp, ooh, the horror) don't buy one. You'll live.

If you can maybe afford a cheap one, then a cheap one is good enough for now.

#1319799 - 12/06/09 08:47 PM Re: New Piano for beginner (I have an Idea) [Re: AdventCloud]
feeble Offline

A couple of additional thoughts:

- If you are working with a local dealer, I can't imagine that they'd let you do this more than a couple times.

- If you are ordering off of the internet, you'll be spending a lot of money on shipping, unless they have free shipping.

All of that said, I have a CDP-100 (been taking lessons about 4 months) and it seems to be working well for this beginner. When I am ready to upgrade, I'll sell it on eBay and buy another.

#1319800 - 12/06/09 08:47 PM Re: New Piano for beginner (I have an Idea) [Re: david_a]
AdventCloud Offline

Umm I dont care about getting caught because no one cares and its not illegal. Im doing it no matter what anyone says i just want some ideas on what pianos I should get. Ethics my @ss its big business which I hate(well most of them not all) with a burning passion...so either you can help me with ideas of what pianos i should go through or just not post at all.

#1319834 - 12/06/09 09:30 PM Re: New Piano for beginner (I have an Idea) [Re: AdventCloud]
AdventCloud Offline

Sorry feeble didnt notice your post there, Ill be going to multiple stores such as bestbuy target costco then ill be going to the good stores that specilize in musical equipment when im finally ready to buy.

#1319915 - 12/06/09 11:27 PM Re: New Piano for beginner (I have an Idea) [Re: AdventCloud]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Nice attitude. frown

#1320102 - 12/07/09 07:16 AM Re: New Piano for beginner (I have an Idea) [Re: MacMacMac]
Loves Pugs Too Offline

Loc: VA
No class whatsoever.

#1320125 - 12/07/09 08:09 AM Re: New Piano for beginner (I have an Idea) [Re: Loves Pugs Too]
snazzyplayer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Earth
Lower than a gopher's basement.

#1320133 - 12/07/09 08:47 AM Re: New Piano for beginner (I have an Idea) [Re: snazzyplayer]
AdventCloud Offline

Actually I was just checking out his basement and DAMN the stuff hes got in there. I just dont see anything wrong with it in the end. So like I said if you dont have anything nice to say dont say it at all.

#1320137 - 12/07/09 08:59 AM Re: New Piano for beginner (I have an Idea) [Re: AdventCloud]
dannac Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
The type of attitude that has ruined the USA.

#1320145 - 12/07/09 09:21 AM Re: New Piano for beginner (I have an Idea) [Re: dannac]
AdventCloud Offline

No This is the type of attitude that will save the USA...or at least the few people who can come up with it. So why are you people still complaining help me or stop posting.

#1320147 - 12/07/09 09:24 AM Re: New Piano for beginner (I have an Idea) [Re: dannac]
feeble Offline

AdventCloud: You asked for opinions, prevailing opinions do not seem to be in your favor.

One of the reasons you used to justify this was providing review of the pianos you acquire. If you are a new player, how useful is your review going to be to others? As a new player myself, I am certainly not qualified to do a piano review. I don't even know what I don't know at this point. Something to think about.

#1320166 - 12/07/09 09:41 AM Re: New Piano for beginner (I have an Idea) [Re: feeble]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
I am appalled to find that anyone would think this is okay.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1320253 - 12/07/09 11:17 AM Re: New Piano for beginner (I have an Idea) [Re: AdventCloud]
appleman Offline

Originally Posted By: AdventCloud
I was planning on going to buy a piano a month and return the last one before the 30 day money back guarantee is up...
There's a lot of problems with this, not only from an ethical standpoint, but also from a actual mechanical standpoint.

Not all places offer a 30 day guarantee. Some places have 15 day policies. If you use cash, some places like best buy have a policy of returning cash by check up to a month later. Some places have a 15% restocking fee.

And worse, if you use credit card or debit, your funds may not be available for up to a week. And by using those, you identify yourself, since a store can look at all your billing information and store it indefinitely.

If you keep returning expensive items, you may get "flagged" as a serial returner, and those flags are sometimes shared between external loss prevention departments.

If you get flagged, when you return, you'll always have to wait for a corporate approval for a refund, which could take up to a month. They can also flatly refuse your return, and I've seen it happen before.
Quote:
Umm I dont care about getting caught because no one cares and its not illegal.
It's actually called return fraud or wardrobing.

While it isn't illegal to do it. It is also perfectly legal to refuse your return for any reason.

#1320274 - 12/07/09 11:41 AM Re: New Piano for beginner (I have an Idea) [Re: appleman]
Music Major Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I would also consider this. A want-it-today philosophy regarding this purchase.... You may find a new benefit if you are trying to learn how to play the piano. The piano will teach you patience, as you don't learn to play the piano with a want-it-today plan. It takes time.

You may want to consider this lesson also regarding the purchase of the DP. Take the time to save up and do it right.

Patience grasshopper

Yamaha S90 --------------- SS-69 Grand
The most important thing in music is what is not in the notes.

#1320384 - 12/07/09 02:22 PM Re: New Piano for beginner (I have an Idea) [Re: AdventCloud]
Boutros Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: AdventCloud
Umm I dont care about getting caught because no one cares and its not illegal.

Someone does care. The keyboards you return will have to be discounted and sold as used. No matter how you spin it, this is theft.

How old are you? Grow up.

#1320556 - 12/07/09 05:59 PM Re: New Piano for beginner (I have an Idea) [Re: Boutros]
AdventCloud Offline

Ya and they get discounted and sold to others who want it for a cheaper price. Yay everything works out...You guys are great, lucky for me though i dont have to worry about that, I was going to guitar center to try out my plan when I saw a box infront of the store, i checked it and it was a Roland V-Piano it looked decent and noone around so i just pulled my car up and put it in the trunk, OMG *druels* that thing is a beast im having so much fun right now. Hopefully its one of the good pianos im gonna look it up now though even if its a cheapy i still like it alot.

#1320558 - 12/07/09 06:03 PM Re: New Piano for beginner (I have an Idea) [Re: AdventCloud]
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Wouldn't it be easier to go into your local music store and play these on a regular basis?

I don't know about you, but for me, the idea of packing up one of these things is a nightmare. I had to return one of the DPs I bought, the Casio PX 330, and thank goodness it wasn't that hard, but if I had had to return the YPG 635, with its included stand and the free bench, I never would have managed.

I think if you pick the one which you think you might like, with one of the sellers who gives a 45 day guarantee, maybe you'll find you like it enough to keep it. If not, ship it back, but if it's not defective, you have to pay the return shipping and schlepp it over to UPS.

A big hassle I think.

#1320563 - 12/07/09 06:07 PM Re: New Piano for beginner (I have an Idea) [Re: Nikalette]
AdventCloud Offline

^ See Nikalette is a nice person to talk to she or hes not
| Not much of a winer or complaner just a basic easy answer with a good though, but not to worry I already "found" a piano i like a lot.

#1320619 - 12/07/09 08:06 PM Re: New Piano for beginner (I have an Idea) [Re: AdventCloud]
feeble Offline

AdventCloud is just trolling now...

#1320677 - 12/07/09 09:42 PM Re: New Piano for beginner (I have an Idea) [Re: feeble]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Perhaps the mod will close this thread??? Please!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Chrono Trigger piano medley
by Stefo
Today at 04:44 PM
need help with deciding between digital and acoustic
by luvboise713
Today at 04:16 PM
Sight reading problems
by pianosNpreschooler
Today at 03:23 PM
Hello! I have a question about playing for cocktail parties.
by albumblatter
Today at 03:10 PM
Piano Concerto in F, Op. 2 Arensky, Anton
by antony
Today at 02:33 PM
Who's Online
163 registered (A Guy, 36251, accordeur, Alan T., ajames, aesop, 40 invisible), 1414 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76237 Members
42 Forums
157608 Topics
2315056 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission