2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by MarkCannon
I have great sympathy for newcomers, even when I'm no longer one.
When you've clocked up your 1000th post in a month maybe? won't be long now, will it - grin
I have sympathy for newcomers too, but I also think there's nothing wrong with encouraging people to do some thinking for themselves. And no harm in pointing out that for some of these questions there just aren't any answers that are worth the time to write.

Du holde Kunst...
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by currawong
I have great sympathy for newcomers, even when I'm no longer one.
When you've clocked up your 1000th post in a month maybe? won't be long now, will it - grin

....and the amazing thing is I'm still looking for my first good post. smile
.....no harm in pointing out that for some of these questions there just aren't any answers that are worth the time to write.

But then why not just ignore those posts? Stay away from them and say nothing, if that's how you feel? And maybe there are others who will feel otherwise.

I mean, I did feel otherwise. I gave answers to all his questions, and I thought they were worth the time to write.
I enjoyed writing those answers.

And I think those answers were excellent, if I do say so myself ha

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
But then why not just ignore those posts? Stay away from them and say nothing, if that's how you feel? And maybe there are others who will feel otherwise.
Of course. And I do. I ignore many, many posts, otherwise I'd have a much higher post count than I do for the time I've been here smile. However, as I said, I still think it's worth pointing out to a poster that some questions cannot be answered meaningfully (even by BruceD smile )

Du holde Kunst...
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W

But then why not just ignore those posts? Stay away from them and say nothing, if that's how you feel?

Why? I have no idea why you think my response should have been repressed. It wasn't gratuitous - I really do think that what I said is true, and I think there is no fault in letting the OP know that some people think that way.

P
P
Originally Posted by PartyPianist
Those who commit to memory easily have "perfect pitch".
Any evidence for this statement?

My coach/teacher who is a Professor at the Wollongong Conservatorium, name Slobodan Zivkovic told me "the trouble with my pupils with perfect pitch is they learn the notes too easily. I have to be very careful with their preparation."

You play it & I'll hum it, but currently rehearsing:

Bach WTC book 2 no 15 G major, no 20 A minor, no 22 Bb Minor
Mozart A minor Sonata K310
Mendelssohn Op 35 preludes and fuges
Busoni Carmen Fantasy
Rachmaninov Bb prelude OP 23 no 2
Lyapunov Humoreske Op 34
and others
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I don't understand the impatience that some members sometimes show about things like this, especially with newer members.
I've gotten my share of it myself. While I've been extremely impressed and gratified about the site overall, this one aspect has been mildly discomfiting.

The creator of this thread is new here. He wants to start getting involved. He posted some questions to begin a conversation and to get some views. Why do you want to tell him to just figure it out himself?

[...]

It's not necessarily impatience; it's sometimes a case of mild disbelief or just bewilderment. It's hard to understand why a student who is playing such works as the Chopin Fourth Ballade and the Beethoven "Waldstein," and who already has an opinion from his teacher on the question, would ask an internet forum to opine for him which of two pieces is the more difficult. Someone playing at that level surely has enough musical experience and knowledge to judge a work's difficulty by reading through it. He already knows, one might presume, that various difficulties, both musical and technical, offer different challenges to different pianists.

Therefore, the question posed seems like a very peculiar one with which to "start a conversation." A more engaging way to "start a conversation" - particularly from someone whose claims suggest pretty advanced pianism - might be to raise some particular technical or interpretive challenges for discussion or opinion.

And since you are bringing some of us to task for the way we respond to forum posts, I would hope that you would realize that, as individuals, we all have our own ways - whether you approve of them or not - of responding on internet forums (fora?).

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Originally Posted by wr
.....I have no idea why you think my response should have been repressed. It wasn't gratuitous - I really do think that what I said is true, and I think there is no fault in letting the OP know that some people think that way.

WHY?

This was a new member. Would you rather he/she hadn't joined, or hadn't begun posting? That kind of reply is sort of like scaring the person away. Why would you want to do that, on a post which at worst is a little insipid but might be (and was) of some interest to some other people?

Sorry, but I think it's tantamount to saying "You stink" to a beginning student.....

Originally Posted by BruceD
.....It's not necessarily impatience; it's sometimes a case of mild disbelief or just bewilderment. It's hard to understand why a student who is playing such works as the Chopin Fourth Ballade and the Beethoven "Waldstein," and who already has an opinion from his teacher on the question, would ask an internet forum to opine for him which of two pieces is the more difficult.....

Good answer -- but I have a good answer to your good answer.

First of all, as I mentioned in a much earlier post, it's entirely plausible (although I agree not common) that someone who plays those pieces would legitimately have that question. I gave the example of myself, back in the day, when the first major piece I worked on was Chopin's F# minor Polonaise and I didn't have much idea how it compared to other pieces. (I didn't realize for decades that it's considered a very hard piece.)

But the main thing here is that I think you and others are being a bit too concrete about the reasons that people say or ask certain things. As I said in another above post, even if someone does know an answer or could figure it out himself, he might ask the question "to make conversation," to start making contact, to get a ball rolling between himself and others. You mean you yourself never do that? If you don't, you're unusual. It's a content of the social graces of our society. And I would think that on an internet site it's not uncommon for a new member. As long as they're not saying anything objectionable -- and this person certainly wasn't -- I think they should be welcomed, not slammed down. And this was a slam down.

....since you are bringing some of us to task for the way we respond to forum posts, I would hope that you would realize that, as individuals, we all have our own ways - whether you approve of them or not - of responding on internet forums (fora?).

Of course y'all have your ways of posting and replying, and I don't pretend to think it matters if I "approve" or not. But I hope that what I'm saying might have an effect on how people view these things. I'm not sure that some of the people here realized that they were sort telling this new member to take his ball and go home.

P.S. I don't know if it's forums or fora either. smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I don't understand why the same select group of people say the exact same thing in each one of these threads (if you can play these pieces, then you should know). First of all, many people are curious about what other people think. Second, it is hard to tell what is more difficult at speed when you can only play through both pieces very slowly. I am learning Prokofiev's 3rd Piano Concerto, which is obviously a hard work; however, when I was deciding which concerto to learn, I requested for people that had already played these pieces to give me their opinion, and this helped me in my decision. It is annoying and unhelpful to tell the people to decide on their own if they ask a question.

Currently working on
Prokofiev Piano Concerto 3
Beethoven Sonata Op.109
Chopin Op.10 No.1
Bach WTC II no. 15

--Sam--
Originally Posted by xtraheat
I don't understand why the same select group of people say the exact same thing in each one of these threads (if you can play these pieces, then you should know). First of all, many people are curious about what other people think.....I requested for people that had already played these pieces to give me their opinion, and this helped me in my decision. It is annoying and unhelpful to tell the people to decide on their own if they ask a question.

Thanks.
I was afraid I'd be a minority of one on here.

I knew that I couldn't be the sole believer in what I was saying, but who knew if anyone else would happen to join in.

And I think we can be pretty sure our new member Tsunami appreciates it too.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Those who commit to memory easily have "perfect pitch".
Any evidence for this statement?

My coach/teacher who is a Professor at the Wollongong Conservatorium, name Slobodan Zivkovic told me "the trouble with my pupils with perfect pitch is they learn the notes too easily. I have to be very careful with their preparation."

That doesn't logically translate to "those who commit to memory easily have perfect pitch". It may translate to "those who have perfect pitch are often good memorisers"...

Du holde Kunst...
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
It's been suggested on previous occasions that people may post apparently sincere yet actually frivolous questions about advanced repertoire as an oblique way of boasting without appearing to do so and as a covert way of fishing for compliments.

"I began playing last year and I've just started learning Mazeppa. Do you think I'm making normal progress?"

"I'm learning Rach 3 but I don't know what fingering to use on the first page. Can somebody help me?"

Sometimes these inquiries are made in naïveté, and sometimes they're transparently calculated to impress. In any case, I've seen answers to such questions that were far more brusque and dismissive than anything in this thread.

Steven

.....That doesn't logically translate to "those who commit to memory easily have perfect pitch". It may translate to "those who have perfect pitch are often good memorisers"...

Yes -- and in fact it doesn't even approximately translate into that. smile

Originally Posted by sotto voce
It's been suggested on previous occasions that people may post apparently frivolous questions about advanced repertoire as an oblique way of boasting without actually appearing to do so and a covert way of fishing for compliments....
Sometimes these inquiries are made in naïveté, and sometimes they're transparently calculated to impress....

Yes indeed.
If someone does that habitually, or even I suppose just more than once smile it's obnoxious.

Otherwise, and especially IMO if it's from a new member, that's different.

The reason I said anything about it on this thread was that it was about a new member, and a young one to boot. It would seem to me that we want to encourage such people to come here and be here, not slam them down.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by wr
.....I have no idea why you think my response should have been repressed. It wasn't gratuitous - I really do think that what I said is true, and I think there is no fault in letting the OP know that some people think that way.

WHY?

This was a new member. Would you rather he/she hadn't joined, or hadn't begun posting? That kind of reply is sort of like scaring the person away. Why would you want to do that, on a post which at worst is a little insipid but might be (and was) of some interest to some other people?

Sorry, but I think it's tantamount to saying "You stink" to a beginning student.....

This person seems perfectly capable of dealing with the responses he got; it is rather condescending to think he isn't. When I respond to a post, I don't especially pay attention to writer's age unless they make of point of it; this person didn't, that I noticed. But now that you have brought it up as an issue, I checked his profile and see he is a high school senior. And is into rap, metal, and hip hop. All of which lead me to think he doesn't particularly need to be treated with kid gloves.

My post, in the context of the whole thread, was simply reinforcing a message several others had already given. And I still think it is a perfectly legitimate response to the question. Feel free to disagree, but you aren't going to change my mind (nor my online persona).

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
wow you all need to stop being so elitist and arrogant. He asked a simple question... He could care less what your all's opinion is on the fact that he is asking this question. If you don't have an answer, don't post... Simple as that

Currently working on
Beethoven Sonata Op.109
Chopin Op.10 No.1
Bach WTC II no. 15

--Sam--
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
And calling people with a genuine opinion "elitist and arrogant" helps how?

wr only defended his opinion because it was criticised. Why don't we all accept that each other's opinions, as opinions, are valid. Novel, eh? smile

Du holde Kunst...
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by xtraheat
wow you all need to stop being so elitist and arrogant. He asked a simple question... He could care less what your all's opinion is on the fact that he is asking this question. If you don't have an answer, don't post... Simple as that

If you think that I and others are being elitist and arrogant, that would seem to be a problem on your part, since we aren't. And, speaking of arrogance - you aren't in a position to say whether he does or does not care about opinions about his question. I hope he does care, and as a result, tries to frame such questions with a little more thought in the future. And finally, when people say that a question should really be answered by the person asking it, or is otherwise unanswerable, it is an answer to the question. Whether you like that answer is a whole different issue.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
No, the "correct" answer would to give your opinion on the issue that is in question, rather than tell him whether or not he should be able to ask it. It IS arrogant to say that he should care and "try to frame such questions with more thought", as this is a public forum, and not only was there nothing wrong with the question that he asked, but you are also telling him what he should and shouldn't be able to ask

Currently working on
Beethoven Sonata Op.109
Chopin Op.10 No.1
Bach WTC II no. 15

--Sam--
Originally Posted by wr
....This person seems perfectly capable of dealing with the responses he got; it is rather condescending to think he isn't.....he doesn't particularly need to be treated with kid gloves....

As with the earlier thing of "why would someone ask questions like that," I think you're taking what I said too concretely.

It's not just about "him," it's about how it might affect others who are thinking of joining and posting, and it's about the basic atmosphere of the site toward newcomers, younger people, and those who maybe don't know as much as you do or don't have exactly the same kinds of social approaches.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission