Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
153 registered (accordeur, Alegretto, anamnesis, ajames, 36251, 48 invisible), 1651 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1320415 - 12/07/09 03:09 PM Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher?
AiYaYaYa Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
I always face the dilemma when it comes to holiday tipping/gifting, so I'm hoping that the teachers in this forum would help me! Could you please let me know if you normally expect some form of appreciation from the students in the holiday season? If so, what form/amount is appropriate? Many thanks!

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1320422 - 12/07/09 03:13 PM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: AiYaYaYa]
Lollipop Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia
None of my students ever has tipped me money. A few have given gift cards. Probably 50-75% of my students give me a gift of some sort. I appreciate being remembered, but don't expect it.

#1320432 - 12/07/09 03:19 PM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: Lollipop]
AZNpiano Online   happy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Most of my students end up giving me gift cards. I do teach several pairs of siblings, so I end up getting one "nice" gift from them.

My suggestion is to get to know the teacher better. For example, I don't drink coffee, so I still have three Starbucks gift cards sitting in my drawer (hint...someone is going to get re-gifted...). It's much nicer to give a gift that is actually useful.

I'd say, since you're probably skipping 1 or 2 lessons, a gift that is worth 50% of the lesson fee would be in the appropriate range.

#1320590 - 12/07/09 06:57 PM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: AZNpiano]
musiclady Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Here's a couple of blog posts that I wrote on that subject:

http://clariniano.wordpress.com/2009/10/...el-appreciated/

http://clariniano.wordpress.com/2009/08/...-much-to-spend/

Hope that helps!

Meri

#1320592 - 12/07/09 06:59 PM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: AZNpiano]
ToriAnais Offline

Loc: Australia
ANZ - couldn't you just use the starbucks cards to get a hot chocolate or a tea or whatever it is you DO drink?

I'd be uncomfortable being tipped money, but I do absolutely love getting gifts. I don't care if they're trashy or tiny or not something I like - I just like to feel appreciated. So pretty much - ANYTHING. However, a nice bottle of wine makes me like the parent's child just that little bit more wink

I got a bookmark the other day with a poem on it about being a special teacher. I read a lot so I can always use more bookmarks!

#1320603 - 12/07/09 07:40 PM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: ToriAnais]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
AZN: I'll take your Starbucks cards! smile

I really don't expect anything from my students, but if they bring a gift, it is appreciated no matter what it is. I think most of my Christmas tree ornaments came from my students.

#1320606 - 12/07/09 07:41 PM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: ToriAnais]
CarolR Offline

Loc: wisconsin
I think that what is appropriate is a day at a spa, including hot rock treatment, massage, sauna, aromatherapy, pedicure.

I get a lot of chocolate, which I eat, regrettably.
Rachmaninoff: Daisies
Lutoslawski: Paganini Variations for 2 pianos

#1320621 - 12/07/09 08:08 PM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: CarolR]
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi AiYaYaYa,
Most of my students do not give me a gift. But it would be nice to have some token of appreciation. A thoughtful card, anything to show you appreciate the teacher...it means a lot to me. I don't expect it, and wouldn't want anyone to add to their holiday stress by having one more gift to pick out...but if you have the time and appreciate the teacher, any sign of appreciation is nice!

#1320662 - 12/07/09 09:25 PM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: CarolR]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: CarolR
I think that what is appropriate is a day at a spa, including hot rock treatment, massage, sauna, aromatherapy, pedicure.

Carol, you forgot to mention the fill-in teacher, so that you can have the day at a spa on a normal teaching day laugh

Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

#1320669 - 12/07/09 09:32 PM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: Canonie]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I really appreciate the thought. And chocolate. Filled with peanut butter. In a nice dish. smile
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1320704 - 12/07/09 10:13 PM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: Morodiene]
CarolR Offline

I think my best gift ever was a card written by a student that said "You are a great teacher".

The day at the spa, with the fill-in teacher, will be even better, though.

#1320712 - 12/07/09 10:22 PM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: AiYaYaYa]
Sparkler Offline

I don't expect anything but it is neat to be thought of.

I'm kinda hard to buy for as I don't drink coffee, wine or eat chocolate/candy. :P But it is not something I broadcast to students... doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

I, too, have a stash of Starbucks giftcards, many I've already regifted.

Best gift for me would absolutely be a thoughtful card from the student. That, or a grand piano filled with cash. cool
and best of all...
Mom!

#1320715 - 12/07/09 10:23 PM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: AiYaYaYa]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
I usually receive a Christmas present from my students (chocolate and CDs being the most common) - of course here Christmas coincides with the end of the teaching year and the summer holidays, so it's as much a "thank you for the lessons all year" present as a Christmas present.

As for tipping, we just don't seem to do it here, except at restaurants if we feel like it. smile
(As an accompanist I have had the odd extra payment by a grateful parent, but it's rare)

#1320716 - 12/07/09 10:24 PM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: CarolR]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
As I get ready to decorate yet another Christmas Tree (counting the years cry )

I love to unwrap and hang all those hand made ornaments that students from the past made for me. Makes me feel warm and cozy and remember each of them.

I suppose I could look down at my thighs and remember those that gave me chocolates, but I like the ornaments better!!!

#1320719 - 12/07/09 10:30 PM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: lilylady]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: lilylady
I suppose I could look down at my thighs and remember those that gave me chocolates, but I like the ornaments better!!!
My kids used to always help me eat the chocs, but now they've both left home... frown

#1320720 - 12/07/09 10:31 PM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: currawong]
Morodiene Offline

What's with you guys hoarding all the Starbucks gift cards? Give them to me! laugh

#1320739 - 12/07/09 10:57 PM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: Morodiene]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I receive gifts from many students and I was actually considering requesting no gifts this year, but that I'd love a card made by the student. My flat isn't very big, my thighs don't need to be bigger. There's usually a lot of chocolate to get through.

But there was no way to do this politely and of course I really enjoy some of the gifts, so I'll have to be gracious smile and hope that I get some good leaf tea (no bags) and nothing herbal or floral either. No coffee for me, I'd send it to Morodiene if she was a bit closer. Got a brilliant t-shirt last year now that I think about it, it's a Scrabble Tshirt and very cool. And I have a very nice mobile of origami hearts that a very young student made years ago (with mum's help).

Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

#1320796 - 12/08/09 12:53 AM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: Canonie]
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Western Canada
When I took lesson, there was one mother of a student who phoned all the piano teacher's students and had us mail her $5. Then she gave the piano teacher a $200 gift card to her favorite fancy restaurant that this piano teacher liked. Lot of work for one person though.

Another parent sent me some of her homemake Christmas baking! That was nice!

And another time a parent made me a Christmas light filled glass brick! It is supposed to look like ice I guess. Very thoughtful!

Oh, and I always like getting those post-it-notes. Discovered that they come in many different shapes. From apple shapes to hearts.

But really, anything is always a pleasure to receive!

#1320822 - 12/08/09 01:49 AM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: Diane...]
Frozenicicles Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Oh dear, I'm afraid I'm one of those chronic chocolate gifters. I actually don't know my teacher's likes and dislikes very well even after all these years...I guess we don't socialize much during lessons. I think once we got her a collectible hat because of the hat collection on her wall, but it turned out not to be hers but her husband's. So the one time I actually tried to find something unique... blush What to do about this year... help Maybe flowers like the past 2 years? whistle

#1320825 - 12/08/09 01:58 AM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: Frozenicicles]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Frozenicicles
What to do about this year... help Maybe flowers like the past 2 years? whistle
It's the thought that counts - it's all good. Chocolates, flowers, CDs, books, book vouchers, coffee mugs (ducks as everyone else says "no! no more coffee mugs!" - I actually like them...), tree decorations, photo frames (you can never have too many photo frames), notebooks, sticky notes. Did I mention book vouchers?

edited to add: bottle of wine smile

#1320843 - 12/08/09 02:43 AM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: currawong]
Frozenicicles Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Haha...bottle of wine would be a bad idea. She believes strongly that alcohol kills our brains. Here, have something that you just lectured me last week to not take. Now THAT would be a holiday gaffe! laugh

I think you're right...it's really the thought that counts. I'll just have to make sure to write an extra nice and personal card then.

#1320846 - 12/08/09 03:04 AM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: Frozenicicles]
ToriAnais Offline

I got a cool gift thisarvo. It was a really pretty christmas bon bon filled with chocolates as well as the usual crown and a joke. Luckily I didn't open it in the lesson, but it was so fun when I got my partner to pull the other end at home and there was the loud bang and lots of brightly wrapped chocolates went flying everywhere. It was like smashing open a piniata.

#1320922 - 12/08/09 08:31 AM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: ToriAnais]
Morodiene Offline

I've gotten ornaments, which I enjoyed, gift cards for various stories like Barnes and Noble which I loved, Christmas plates which are useful, lotion from Bath and Body, which I have enough of, tea that was yummy, a silver necklace (beautiful), and of course, chocolate. But really, all I need is the cards. The personal thought is what I treasure most.

#1320924 - 12/08/09 08:36 AM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: ToriAnais]
wavelength Offline

Loc: Vermont, USA
currawong hit on my two favorites:
wine
gift card at the book/music store

I get chocolate, but I'm not crazy about it. I love chocolate, but i like fancy organic chocolate.

#1320942 - 12/08/09 09:40 AM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: wavelength]
Crayola Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
I've gotten a variety of stuff - often cash in a card. I must admit it's a bit more awkward to get cash rather than an actual gift, but I can't say I mind. Just yesterday I received $30 in cash from a student. For the last couple years I've had a student who tips me $200 for the holidays. whome But she quit a few months ago. Bummer! Maybe she was broke! Ha!

#1320954 - 12/08/09 10:01 AM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: Crayola]
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
I'm boring because I give the same thing every year, which is a gift card from Hutchins & Rea - online sheet music dealer - in an amount equal to one lesson fee.

They always seem to like it.

#1320959 - 12/08/09 10:09 AM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: Phlebas]
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Western Canada
One gift I liked a lot was a flameless candle! I got this from one of my students just after I told all my students that I had a candle on my piano, and after it went out, I picked it up not realizing that the liquid wax was invisible and I tipped it just enough that the melted wax poured down the front of my piano!

Another idea are those flameless tea lights and they are just beautiful in a glass with those fake ice cubes in it.

I hate getting tea. Coffee or chocolate yes! So really, knowing what the teacher likes and dislikes is always a good idea!

#1320961 - 12/08/09 10:10 AM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: Phlebas]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

After wine (as long as it is red), I treasure anything handmade, especially a card.

Just keep those damned Ferrero rochers for yourself!!!! Apart from the fact I can't stand them, they are most likely old stock left over from Easter, or worse....last Christmas!

#1321034 - 12/08/09 11:59 AM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: Morodiene]
MordentMusic Offline

Loc: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
I don't ever expect anything, but usually i get cards, or a box of chocolates, bath soaps, jewelry, homemade crafts, a few thoughtful students have given me travel coffee mugs, or Tim Horton's gift cards (5-20$) and one student even gave me a book of Mozart's Sonatas (awesome!) No one has directly given me money... personally i would find that a bit odd, since I myself never gave any of my teachers money. Usually a card, with chocolates, soaps, or some jewelry as well.

#1321121 - 12/08/09 02:14 PM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: MordentMusic]
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member

"Just keep those damned Ferrero rochers for yourself!!!!" LOL! I had those one time...such an attractive wrapper...tasted terrible...and little pieces of something...I remember getting a bit choked. Who buys them? They're awful!

#1321146 - 12/08/09 02:45 PM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: Overexposed]
AZNpiano Online   happy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: Ann in Kentucky
"Just keep those damned Ferrero rochers for yourself!!!!" LOL! I had those one time...such an attractive wrapper...tasted terrible...and little pieces of something...I remember getting a bit choked. Who buys them? They're awful!

Hey, I'll take them!!

#1321170 - 12/08/09 03:19 PM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: AZNpiano]
Frozenicicles Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: AZNpiano
Originally Posted By: Ann in Kentucky

Hey, I'll take them!!

Share avec moi, please. 3hearts

#1321243 - 12/08/09 05:22 PM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: Frozenicicles]
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
Over here! Ferraro Rochers! I know what to do with them!

#1321255 - 12/08/09 05:33 PM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: Betty Patnude]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Erghhhh! Can't stand them. There was this really bad month where I lived (almost) on avocados and Ferrero Rochers... Avocados I eat whole in a sitting - delicious, but those other things...

Other faves; soap (cos you can always use it, unlike lotions and more personal things), and any stationary no matter how simple or small - notebooks or pens or pencils or hole punches that produce a music note hole, you can always use stationary so it won't clutter up the house.

Alex Ross.

#1324466 - 12/13/09 12:01 PM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: Canonie]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
This thread is making me paranoid!! I got my teacher Ferrero rochers (am planning on giving them to her tomorrow). I don't think I have time to try to get something different...

frown

I've been taking lessons from her for less than a year... I wish I could ask one of the other students what they do. Anyway, this year I guess I'll go with the chocolates (sorry!) and a card, and maybe next year I should do a monetary tip instead???

#1324500 - 12/13/09 01:02 PM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: ShiroKuro]
wavelength Offline

Loc: Vermont, USA
Don't worry, ShiroKuro-- she will appreciate the gesture even if she doesn't like chocolates! And most people do like chocolates smile

Those Ferrero thingies are my idea of chocolate gone wrong smile But I'm kind of weird. Too many ingredients. Artificial flavoring? Soy Lecithin?

This is my idea of chocolate:
http://www.equalexchange.coop/chocolate-bars

#1325342 - 12/14/09 04:43 PM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: wavelength]
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member

ShiroKuro, it really is the thought that counts. I would be delighted to receive the Ferrero chocolates even though I don't like them. It would show me that the student appreciates the lessons...and I'm take them to a family gathering seeing if anyone else likes them better than I do.

#1325364 - 12/14/09 05:04 PM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: Overexposed]
CarolR Offline

I just got the most adorable porcelein salt and pepper shakers in the shape of keyboards. Very cute.

#1326078 - 12/15/09 05:08 PM Re: Holiday gift/tipping to the teacher? [Re: Morodiene]
ljohnson Offline

Loc: USA
Hi Everyone,

My students usually give me a gift of some sort of gift at Christmas. Honestly speaking, I would feel bad if they didn't think of showing their teacher acknowledgement, but I don't expect everyone to give me a gift (however small). The ones that do cheer the season for me and I don't think about the one who don't negatively. It can be different every year. I do give everyone a small gift or a card to share the holidays with them. Some people think of their teachers and some don't. That's just the way it is and I don't fret about it or it might upset me at at a time that I want to be happy.
To ShiorKuro: It is definetly the thought that counts. Good for you for thinking of your teacher-thats very kind.

Lea,
Maryland

Edited by ljohnson (12/15/09 05:12 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
forum extremely slow?
by wouter79
12/19/14 04:54 PM
Why do we play?
by Jytte
12/19/14 04:14 PM
Need Help About Accidentals
by Batuhan
12/19/14 03:29 PM
REPOST: Freaked out by how roughly movers handled piano
by kaustin
12/19/14 03:10 PM
Upright dampers not damping much, what to look for?
by JoeThePro
12/19/14 01:26 PM
Forum Stats
77354 Members
42 Forums
159991 Topics
2349521 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission