2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
OP Offline
A
I always face the dilemma when it comes to holiday tipping/gifting, so I'm hoping that the teachers in this forum would help me! Could you please let me know if you normally expect some form of appreciation from the students in the holiday season? If so, what form/amount is appropriate? Many thanks!

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
None of my students ever has tipped me money. A few have given gift cards. Probably 50-75% of my students give me a gift of some sort. I appreciate being remembered, but don't expect it.

piano teacher
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Most of my students end up giving me gift cards. I do teach several pairs of siblings, so I end up getting one "nice" gift from them.

My suggestion is to get to know the teacher better. For example, I don't drink coffee, so I still have three Starbucks gift cards sitting in my drawer (hint...someone is going to get re-gifted...). It's much nicer to give a gift that is actually useful.

I'd say, since you're probably skipping 1 or 2 lessons, a gift that is worth 50% of the lesson fee would be in the appropriate range.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
M
M

Clarinet and Piano Teacher based out of Toronto, Canada.Web: http://donmillsmusicstudio.weebly.com
T
T
ANZ - couldn't you just use the starbucks cards to get a hot chocolate or a tea or whatever it is you DO drink?

I'd be uncomfortable being tipped money, but I do absolutely love getting gifts. I don't care if they're trashy or tiny or not something I like - I just like to feel appreciated. So pretty much - ANYTHING. However, a nice bottle of wine makes me like the parent's child just that little bit more wink

I got a bookmark the other day with a poem on it about being a special teacher. I read a lot so I can always use more bookmarks!

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
AZN: I'll take your Starbucks cards! smile

I really don't expect anything from my students, but if they bring a gift, it is appreciated no matter what it is. I think most of my Christmas tree ornaments came from my students.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
C
C
I think that what is appropriate is a day at a spa, including hot rock treatment, massage, sauna, aromatherapy, pedicure.

I get a lot of chocolate, which I eat, regrettably.

Working on:
Chopin: Barcarolle
Schubert: Sonata D959
Rachmaninoff: Daisies
Lutoslawski: Paganini Variations for 2 pianos

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Hi AiYaYaYa,
Most of my students do not give me a gift. But it would be nice to have some token of appreciation. A thoughtful card, anything to show you appreciate the teacher...it means a lot to me. I don't expect it, and wouldn't want anyone to add to their holiday stress by having one more gift to pick out...but if you have the time and appreciate the teacher, any sign of appreciation is nice!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CarolR
I think that what is appropriate is a day at a spa, including hot rock treatment, massage, sauna, aromatherapy, pedicure.

Carol, you forgot to mention the fill-in teacher, so that you can have the day at a spa on a normal teaching day laugh

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I really appreciate the thought. And chocolate. Filled with peanut butter. In a nice dish. smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
C
I think my best gift ever was a card written by a student that said "You are a great teacher".

The day at the spa, with the fill-in teacher, will be even better, though.

Working on:
Chopin: Barcarolle
Schubert: Sonata D959
Rachmaninoff: Daisies
Lutoslawski: Paganini Variations for 2 pianos

S
S
I don't expect anything but it is neat to be thought of.

I'm kinda hard to buy for as I don't drink coffee, wine or eat chocolate/candy. :P But it is not something I broadcast to students... doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

I, too, have a stash of Starbucks giftcards, many I've already regifted.

Best gift for me would absolutely be a thoughtful card from the student. That, or a grand piano filled with cash. cool

Pianist
Accompanist
Piano Teacher
and best of all...
Mom!
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
I usually receive a Christmas present from my students (chocolate and CDs being the most common) - of course here Christmas coincides with the end of the teaching year and the summer holidays, so it's as much a "thank you for the lessons all year" present as a Christmas present.

As for tipping, we just don't seem to do it here, except at restaurants if we feel like it. smile
(As an accompanist I have had the odd extra payment by a grateful parent, but it's rare)

Du holde Kunst...
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
As I get ready to decorate yet another Christmas Tree (counting the years cry )

I love to unwrap and hang all those hand made ornaments that students from the past made for me. Makes me feel warm and cozy and remember each of them.

I suppose I could look down at my thighs and remember those that gave me chocolates, but I like the ornaments better!!!

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by lilylady
I suppose I could look down at my thighs and remember those that gave me chocolates, but I like the ornaments better!!!
My kids used to always help me eat the chocs, but now they've both left home... frown

Du holde Kunst...
M
M
What's with you guys hoarding all the Starbucks gift cards? Give them to me! laugh

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I receive gifts from many students and I was actually considering requesting no gifts this year, but that I'd love a card made by the student. My flat isn't very big, my thighs don't need to be bigger. There's usually a lot of chocolate to get through.

But there was no way to do this politely and of course I really enjoy some of the gifts, so I'll have to be gracious smile and hope that I get some good leaf tea (no bags) and nothing herbal or floral either. No coffee for me, I'd send it to Morodiene if she was a bit closer. Got a brilliant t-shirt last year now that I think about it, it's a Scrabble Tshirt and very cool. And I have a very nice mobile of origami hearts that a very young student made years ago (with mum's help).

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
When I took lesson, there was one mother of a student who phoned all the piano teacher's students and had us mail her $5. Then she gave the piano teacher a $200 gift card to her favorite fancy restaurant that this piano teacher liked. Lot of work for one person though.

Another parent sent me some of her homemake Christmas baking! That was nice!

And another time a parent made me a Christmas light filled glass brick! It is supposed to look like ice I guess. Very thoughtful!

Oh, and I always like getting those post-it-notes. Discovered that they come in many different shapes. From apple shapes to hearts.

But really, anything is always a pleasure to receive!

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Oh dear, I'm afraid I'm one of those chronic chocolate gifters. I actually don't know my teacher's likes and dislikes very well even after all these years...I guess we don't socialize much during lessons. I think once we got her a collectible hat because of the hat collection on her wall, but it turned out not to be hers but her husband's. So the one time I actually tried to find something unique... blush What to do about this year... help Maybe flowers like the past 2 years? whistle

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Frozenicicles
What to do about this year... help Maybe flowers like the past 2 years? whistle
It's the thought that counts - it's all good. Chocolates, flowers, CDs, books, book vouchers, coffee mugs (ducks as everyone else says "no! no more coffee mugs!" - I actually like them...), tree decorations, photo frames (you can never have too many photo frames), notebooks, sticky notes. Did I mention book vouchers?

edited to add: bottle of wine smile

Du holde Kunst...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission