2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 11 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#1315655 12/01/09 06:54 AM
OP Offline
Here is my contribution for this month. I tried to make something different this time.

http://www.box.net/shared/p76rsmr08q

TB

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
TB - Is this another original composition? Very pretty. It does create a "blue feeling".

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi TB. Nice job on this song. Did you write it? I'm wondering how it would sound if you voiced the RH louder than the LH to emphasize the melody a little more. I went back and listened to your "Story of a Young Girl" which I like very much. Same voicing issue might apply there too. Maybe I'm just thinking about this voicing thing because that's something my teacher is emphasizing with me right now. It's a real challenge for me to voice LH and RH differently. It makes it even harder to play evenly. Did you record these on your Essex?

1995 Baldwin L grand
2001 Baldwin Hamilton upright
Yamaha S90 synthesizer
www.larrylarsonpiano.com
YouTubeChannel www.youtube.com/LarryLarsonPiano
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
TB - delightful piece - not so much "blue" as nostalgic - very well played (as we've come to expect) - I admire your compositional skills greatly!

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Everybody, here's a song I wrote a couple years ago called "sultry". I remember that the LH came to me first, and I played it over and over for a few days until the RH part "arrived". As you listen, imagine yourself on a hot summer evening relaxing with a glass of iced tea after a hard day's work.

http://www.box.net/shared/6zcz73vdus

1995 Baldwin L grand
2001 Baldwin Hamilton upright
Yamaha S90 synthesizer
www.larrylarsonpiano.com
YouTubeChannel www.youtube.com/LarryLarsonPiano
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Very nice TureBeginner! Very soothing to listen to, and not so blue, (Hey, I like that rhyme!)

Beautiful piece, and beautifully performed!

Maybe I’ll come up with another original for the December bar. You have inspired me!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Laurie has on her Christmas sweater:

The Gounod/Bach Ave Maria. You'll probably recognize the keyboard part, the Bach prelude in C from the WTC book 1. I think it's in the back of Alfred Book 3. Gounod decided that it needed a melody, so he set "Ave Maria" to it. He added a measure in the middle, repeated the first four as an intro, and changed the key. I transposed it back to C to suit the recorder.

Notice my feet tucked up under the bench? No sustain pedal on the harpsichord, or any of the instruments available to Bach. The notes stop sounding when I release the key, so I don't play it as written. Instead I hold the notes until they are plucked again or the end of the measure. Sometimes I have to release a bass note early to move my hand for the next chord. Tuck your foot up under the bench and try this on the piano.

And there are no dynamics on this particular harpsichord, so I can't play any louder or softer...

Anyway, we had fun with it - hope you like it.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
TB, I thought it had a Christmasy feel to it, like some of the more subtle, subdued Christmas music. Very enjoyable.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
WoW! You guys don't mess around. It's not even noon yet and already 3 great pieces in the bar!!

Can't believe it's December already!

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

TrueBeginner, that's another pretty composition from you! Very delicate and lilting.

Larry, nice jazzy/bluesy piece! I could see the sitting on the porch with iced tea angle, but I could also see it as a Gershwiny strolling around New York City piece, too. smile

Sam, I really enjoyed that duet. I'm amazed at how well the "Ave Maria" works over the Bach prelude. You make me want to learn it so I can talk force my daughter to play her flute with me on it. Give my compliments to Laurie... she confronts that Red Dot like a pro with no sign of nervousness!

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Sam, very nice performance. I enjoyed very much listening. Please give my congratulations to Laurie for a fine performance as well!

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Ah, True Beginner, what a lovely gift for this morning. I think I'll listen to it every morning, since December is going to be really busy this year with work, and you piece calms the waters. Beautiful.

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
M
M
Larry, loved the piece! Nice use of chords and interesting harmonies. I could really hear this in an orchestra for some reason. smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Thanks everyone for listening and commenting. It is my original. I haven't listened to other pieces this month yet, as I am still trying to finish listening to all the recital pieces. I am way behind.

Larry, I recorded it on my Casio Privia via line-in. Originally it came out ok (RH sounds more distinct) but then it had loud static noises when you turned up the volume, which bothered me very much. I put the file through the low pass filter (Audacity) to reduce the static noise and it modified the tone and made it like that. I tried to use equalizer to increase the higher frequency, but it did not help much. I swear it sounds better on my Essex smile Santa really needs to give me a Zoom H2 or H4 this year wink By the way, I love all your compositions and Chris' (Kalai1)

TB

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks Monica, if you want the Bach/Gounod Ave Maria in the key of C just send me a message. Gounod's version is in F which might be awkward on flute. I entered it into Sibelius so I can supply it in any key.

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index

Ooh... this could well be my first foray into Bach! Let me ask my daughter what key she'd like the piece in and get back to you.

Excellent, Larry! I really like your original compositions! (The playing is excellent too!)

That is great, Sam!! You and your wife make a great duo!! I enjoyed the PM from you the other day!

Let's see, I wonder if I should record something new, or post something I already have on YT? Some of the stuff I have on YT is over a year old and I would like to think my playing has improved since then. Decisions, decisions! grin

Take care,

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
L
L
Truebeginner, Larry, and Sam: all pretty pieces. I enjoyed listening to them smile nice job!

I am currently uploading all of my written piano sheets onto my blog to make things easier. I also have written out a few more sheets. All free check it out if you want smile Any questions, PM me

http://myuniquepianomusic.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/paws1528
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Truebeginner, great work! Your composition reminded me a bit of an old song called If They Made Me King. You seem to have really good hand independence, keeping those left hand apeggios going while playing different melodies in the right hand. Well done.

Larry, excellent composition. I especially like the ending, where you took a simple line and harmonized it in an unexpected and interesting way. Also - that grace note is in just the right place! Very sultry, indeed! Well done.

Sam and Laurie, I have always felt that was one of the most moving pieces of music ever written. I remember that Duke Ellington said one of the things that drew him to music was that, when he was a kid, his mother played this piece so beautifully that it made him cry. You played it superbly! Nice teamwork.

My piece this month is Blue Trane, by John Coltrane. I am playing the piano, but the drums and bass parts are on a backing track that was provided to me.

http://www.box.net/shared/f1kvi1nk9l

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

OP Offline
Larry, I agree with Monica about your piece, it is bluesy but with all the interesting harmonic chords, it also sounds at the same time modern and urban. so I definitely get the New York city vibe

Sam, that is a very nice rendition of this piece. I think it works well with this two instruments (harpsichord with repeating chords while recorder playing the continuous melody). In this piece, your harpsichord sounds like an acoustic guitar and with the tone of the recorder, it gives a rural folksy feel.

Riddler, I don't know how you did it, but I guess it must be hard to put the drum, the bass and your playing together and synchronize them. Your pieces always sound great and like a full band.

TB

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission