Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#659575 - 01/16/08 02:50 PM Roland 201/203; Kawai CA51/CD200;Casio
DogT Offline

Loc: VA
Ok, I have tried the Roland 201/203/207, the Kawai CA51/91 and the AP45 which I assume is going to be a whole lot like the AP500. I tried all these for the 2nd time with headphones only and all in the same day.

The Roland for some reason my fingernails klack all the time when I am playing it and it is quite disturbing. Otherwise they sound nice. I see Jared got his new HP203. I just wonder why my fingernails act the way they do on the Rolands?

The AP25 sounded nice to me, the KB was not unlike the Roland as far as pressure but my fingernails did not klack on the KB. I am assuming the AP500 will be quite similar??

The Kawai, I really liked the KB a lot, it was lighter, but really didn't like the sound of the piano too much, it was sort of harsh in the middle range and the bass part sounded a bit strange. I could probably get used to it. I am convinced gluttny put this in my mind!!

I do not have a whole bunch of music training, none from a teacher. I am really only going to be using this for a piano, I do not need all the extra functions, although it would be nice to be able to adjust some of the settings to my liking. So I am thinking about just getting the AP500 even though it is a lower end piano. I did try the PX-700 once and was pleased enough with it, just didn't want a portable unit, the wifey wants a console type. Price is not much of an object although I do not want to just waste money by getting a lot of features I don't need.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#659576 - 01/16/08 08:45 PM Re: Roland 201/203; Kawai CA51/CD200;Casio
dbre Offline

Loc: US
Klack? Do you mean clack? Sounds of fingernails hitting the keys? Shouldn't this happen on just any piano or keyboard? Were you fingernails actually hit the key surfaces? If not, do you mean the clicking sound when pressing the keys? If so, it could be just the escapement by design to simulate real piano's, only few high-end digital pianos have it.
http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=870&ParentId=40

#659577 - 01/16/08 09:30 PM Re: Roland 201/203; Kawai CA51/CD200;Casio
DogT Offline

For sure it is my fingernails hitting the keys. I don't know why it is just the Rolands that are doing this. I don't seem to have that trouble with any other KB.

#659578 - 01/17/08 05:32 AM Re: Roland 201/203; Kawai CA51/CD200;Casio
gluttny Offline

Loc: Austria
I would recommend HP201 and HP203. Both models have 128 polyphony which might be an issue. I found some moments when I feel limitation even with 128 polyphony, and I am not a professional player. But for my daughter, who is using this piano for learning, even 64 polyphony would do fine.

HP201 is nice DP for a starter, DP has everything and feels very good. HP203 is more advanced but then more expensive model from Roland.

Casio, AP45 is a nice DP but it has only 64 polyphony vs. AP500. AP500 offers 128 polyphony and plenty of gimmicks including SD cards slot, connectivity, etc. Keybed on Casio is subjective issue. Some do not like its a bit clunky feeling, others are fine with this. I would recommend either Casio AP500 or PX800 or 720.

Now for Kawai, you are completely correct about sound. I recently played CA91 via headphones, which is the upper class model, and piano sound was a disaster, even cheaper Casio was able to sound more smooth and natural via headphones. I was very surprised with this finding myself as before I tried many models via loudspeakers. This is why I would recommend using headphones for testing piano sound.

I would also look Yamaha way if you do not mind, try CLP 230 and may be a bit more expensive CLP240, both are fine pianos within acceptable price range. One issue with them is that both have only 64 polyphony, but then its your choice. Keys on Yamaha are harder to hit but are very good and natural, I compared GHD3 keybed to Yamaha silent piano (which is acoustic) and can tell the feeling in keys was just about right on their DPs as well. Of course you understand that no DP piano would be able to reproduce good acoustic in sound feel and connection between keys and sound.

Hope this helps. Btw, whenever you buy a piano you immediately want to add a nice piano chair and at least good headphones, which add to your spending list. Then you want may be a proper piano lamp and may be a pair of good compact active sound boxes, so your spending grows more. Take this into account so that you have some pennies left (after buying your piano) for a proper chair to sit on and for a good pair of headphones to play and feel. I can attest all DPs sound better via headphones and may be via external active sound boxes than via original integrated speakers. Go figure why manunfacturers cannot put superior sound speakers into DP body.

#659579 - 01/17/08 08:52 AM Re: Roland 201/203; Kawai CA51/CD200;Casio
DogT Offline

Gluttny,

Well, I did try the Yamahas. The Dealer only had the 220 and 280, but they were enough to know that for some reason I did not like them as much as the Roland, despite my fingernails clicking all the time on the Roland. For some reason I did not like the Yamahas and have passed on them.

I only tried the AP45 because that was the only Casio I could find locally, I am considering the AP500.

I am just wondering about the Kawai, I really liked the KB and am wondering if I can put up with the sound or maybe adjust it in the "Virtual Technician" feature. I am seriously considering the CE200.

Yes, if I want more sound, I think I would get a set of Beheringer monitors for around $350.

As far as bench, light headphones, yes, I already have a very nice piano bench, am thinking about the $70 Grado headphones, and I have a lamp already on my old upright.

Thanks for all your advice.

#659580 - 02/26/08 10:51 PM Re: Roland 201/203; Kawai CA51/CD200;Casio
jorghi Offline

Loc: Weston
Greets folks.. I have recently spent an afternoon at a kawai dealer, trying out the various CA models.

To my ear, the Kawai piano samples sounded electric, nothing like a real piano (more like a cheap Casio).

The all wood Awa pro action is, of course quite wonderful, rather light and grand piano like, except for the missing escapement.

I ended up getting a Roland Hp 207, their grand piano sample is Steinway based and sounded the best to my ear (when comparing to the clavinovas and kawai-s).

#659581 - 02/27/08 05:36 PM Re: Roland 201/203; Kawai CA51/CD200;Casio
gluttny Offline

Loc: Austria
yes, i also prefer Roland and HP207 is an excellent choice.

#1320870 - 12/08/09 04:45 AM Re: Roland 201/203; Kawai CA51/CD200;Casio [Re: gluttny]
Martin NL Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Kawai's keyboard gets a lot closer to a real piano, compared to Roland. I think Roland just feels like a heavy keyboard, not like a piano... I think the Roland just has better sound if you play dynamics-less. But if you use dynamics, the Kawai CA51 comes to life!
I heard people say the Kawai has bad sound, but thats just a mather of changing some options. The Kawai CA51 is more or less customizable.
Conclusion, if you don't care about the touch of the keyboard, and do not use dynamics in your plays, purchase the Roland.
If you want to have a keyboard on your DP which is a lot more like a real piano, with also a lot better dynamics, you should pick the Kawai CA51.

I don't know anything about the Kawai CD200 or casio.

Edited by Martin NL (12/08/09 04:53 AM)

#1320890 - 12/08/09 06:29 AM Re: Roland 201/203; Kawai CA51/CD200;Casio [Re: Martin NL]
Andree Offline

Loc: Sweden
I have never tried a Kawai CA51 so I can't say something about the sound. However I have played on a Kawai CA18 and in my opinion the sound in this piano is good. I presume that it is even better in the new CN-series and the coming CA-series. Has anyone tried a Kawai DP with a more recent sound generator than what is in the CA51?

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
140 registered (A Guy, Almaviva, 36251, accordeur, 50 invisible), 1654 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74248 Members
42 Forums
153586 Topics
2250886 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Etude in G
by Polyphonist
15 minutes 33 seconds ago
A Piano Song With Notes In It
by Ritzycat
22 minutes 17 seconds ago
Playing the piano again
by Mr.Wolf
26 minutes 27 seconds ago
27/16 time signature!
by Polyphonist
27 minutes 35 seconds ago
Three great pianists/teachers celebrate the same birthday!
by music32
32 minutes 22 seconds ago
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission