Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1320912 - 12/08/09 08:17 AM Kawai MP8 firmware update version - Kawai James?
EP Offline

Loc: USA
from another thread:
Originally Posted By: bachmaniac
Some time ago, with the help of our friend James (Kawai James) here on the forum, I upgraded the firmware on my MP8 to V 2.14.

Just curious - I've located the 2.14 update on the German website (haven't installed it yet), but the most recent update I found on the US site is 1.32. Some time ago, I had downloaded and installed 1.40 (don't remember where I got it).
Can anybody clarify this for me? Seems like I should be using 2.14, no? Is there a reason it's not available on the KawaiUS website, or am I just missing it somehow?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#1320913 - 12/08/09 08:19 AM Re: Kawai MP8 firmware update version - Kawai James? [Re: EP]
Andree Offline

Loc: Sweden
EP, would you be kind and explain the purpose of these updates, I believe Kawai is the only manufacturer of DP:s, having this service, right?

/Andrée

#1320918 - 12/08/09 08:27 AM Re: Kawai MP8 firmware update version - Kawai James? [Re: Andree]
EP Offline

I'm not the one to properly explain it, but basically they add updated features to the operation of the keyboard. I think it's common among many hardware manufacturers to offer firmware updates.

#1320947 - 12/08/09 09:53 AM Re: Kawai MP8 firmware update version - Kawai James? [Re: EP]
bachmaniac Offline

Loc: Montreal, CAN
Hello EP,

I have no idea at all as to why the latest update (2.14) is only available on the German site, but that's where I got it from. Follow the instructions carefully, and you will end up with an MP8II in everything but the default grand piano 1 sound which, as I said earlier, is hardware originated. There is even a supplemental PDF instruction manual that comes with the upgrade so that your owner's manual can now correspond to the new MP8II you're now using.

Like many other Kawai fans, I prefer the earlier version of the AWA pro action in the MP8 to that of the MP8II (and that of the later CA series) as its touch is firmer, much more solid in feel. After an extensive trial of the new action (a close friend of mine owns an MP8II which he bought on my advice) I find that its sole advantage over the earlier version is its ability to repeat notes a bit faster. Not that relevant in playing classical as I do, whereas a firm, razor-sharp touch is.

Regards,

Claude

#1321238 - 12/08/09 05:17 PM Re: Kawai MP8 firmware update version - Kawai James? [Re: bachmaniac]
EP Offline

Hi Claude,
Thanks for the info. I plan on installing 2.14.
I haven't had a chance to try the MP8II. Interesting that many prefer the MP8 action. I certainly think it's the best of any digital I've played.

#1321404 - 12/08/09 10:03 PM Re: Kawai MP8 firmware update version - Kawai James? [Re: EP]
vitog Offline

Loc: People's Republic of Massachus...
Claude,
Would you say this firmware upgrade is a significant improvement, compared to original MP8?

#1321510 - 12/09/09 12:33 AM Re: Kawai MP8 firmware update version - Kawai James? [Re: vitog]
bachmaniac Offline

Loc: Montreal, CAN
Hey Witold,

so glad to find you back on the forum...

Yes, the upgrade is very significant and a positive one as it provides you with all the improvements that the MP8II offers over the MP8, except of course for the default Concert Grand 1 samples (which can't be included in the update because they are hardware-stored (rom-based) on the MP8II). The only other remaining difference that will remain betwteen your instrument and a II is the action, but as I said earlier and as a great many Kawai fans find, the AWA I keybed is actually more desirable than the AWA II, so don't worry about it: on that aspect the MP8II offers no "improvement" at all...

Let it be sufficient to say that in general all of the sounds (except the main basic piano) are upgraded to MP8II level and it becomes possible to edit the internal 256 sounds. Also, a supplemental user's manual in pdf form is supplied with the upgrade, thus the instrument's update to MP8II level is fully documented. It's all easy as pie. A word of caution: it's important to reset the instrument after upgrading, as playing it without having reset it will lead you to think that some of the sounds are missing (they really aren't. They all reappear after reset). Reading the supplemental manual before performing the actual upgrade is therefore a good idea.

Best regards,

Claude

#1321627 - 12/09/09 08:51 AM Re: Kawai MP8 firmware update version - Kawai James? [Re: bachmaniac]
Andree Offline

Loc: Sweden
Quite strange that Kawai has decided to offer this service, in my opinion they will sell less DP:s since the customers can upgrade their current piano with the new software available.

#1322062 - 12/09/09 06:46 PM Re: Kawai MP8 firmware update version - Kawai James? [Re: Andree]
EP Offline

Originally Posted By: Andree
Quite strange that Kawai has decided to offer this service, in my opinion they will sell less DP:s since the customers can upgrade their current piano with the new software available.

I dunno - It seems unlikely that an MP8 owner would upgrade to the MP8II anyway. It just doesn't seem like a big enough difference to warrant the cost of a trade-up, unless one just always likes to have the most-current of everything.

#1322137 - 12/09/09 08:23 PM Re: Kawai MP8 firmware update version - Kawai James? [Re: EP]
vitog Offline

Loc: People's Republic of Massachus...
Originally Posted By: EP
Originally Posted By: Andree

I dunno - It seems unlikely that an MP8 owner would upgrade to the MP8II anyway. It just doesn't seem like a big enough difference to warrant the cost of a trade-up, unless one just always likes to have the most-current of everything.

Or perhaps Kawai actually cares about its customers, unlike many others. If anything, I'd say that the bean counters, as is often the case, are at least NOT running Kawai's business model. And that should be construed as a good thing. We all should be thankful, donate to a charity of our choice and follow what Kawai is going to be up to next.

I would also add that MP8 action is so stupendously good, as long it stays healthy mechanically, one might never want to upgrade as the continuing development of Pianoteq and similar technologies will keep it up high for a long time. Maybe that's another reason for Kawai's decision of keeping its "brains" fresh.

Edited by vitog (12/09/09 08:27 PM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Midi keyboard full setup (Kawai VPC1 + .. ? )
by Rockstar
10/31/14 05:18 AM
knight piano returns?
by Jay
10/31/14 05:10 AM
Thinking of trading up to a baby grand...
by Anne H
10/31/14 03:22 AM
Piano Lock Key -> what is it used for ?
by angga888
10/31/14 12:02 AM
Yurmauer Piano
by PhilipInChina
10/30/14 11:54 PM
Who's Online
65 registered (bennevis, AZNpiano, alberto, angga888, Bill McClellan, Anne H, 12 invisible), 1641 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76712 Members
42 Forums
158631 Topics
2329788 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission