2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Burkhard, apianostudent, Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Haha...bottle of wine would be a bad idea. She believes strongly that alcohol kills our brains. Here, have something that you just lectured me last week to not take. Now THAT would be a holiday gaffe! laugh

I think you're right...it's really the thought that counts. I'll just have to make sure to write an extra nice and personal card then.

T
T
I got a cool gift thisarvo. It was a really pretty christmas bon bon filled with chocolates as well as the usual crown and a joke. Luckily I didn't open it in the lesson, but it was so fun when I got my partner to pull the other end at home and there was the loud bang and lots of brightly wrapped chocolates went flying everywhere. It was like smashing open a piniata.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I've gotten ornaments, which I enjoyed, gift cards for various stories like Barnes and Noble which I loved, Christmas plates which are useful, lotion from Bath and Body, which I have enough of, tea that was yummy, a silver necklace (beautiful), and of course, chocolate. But really, all I need is the cards. The personal thought is what I treasure most.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
W
W
currawong hit on my two favorites:
wine
gift card at the book/music store

I get chocolate, but I'm not crazy about it. I love chocolate, but i like fancy organic chocolate.

C
C
I've gotten a variety of stuff - often cash in a card. I must admit it's a bit more awkward to get cash rather than an actual gift, but I can't say I mind. Just yesterday I received $30 in cash from a student. For the last couple years I've had a student who tips me $200 for the holidays. whome But she quit a few months ago. Bummer! Maybe she was broke! Ha!

Independent Piano Teacher, NCTM
Member of MTNA and ISMTA
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I'm boring because I give the same thing every year, which is a gift card from Hutchins & Rea - online sheet music dealer - in an amount equal to one lesson fee.

They always seem to like it.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
One gift I liked a lot was a flameless candle! I got this from one of my students just after I told all my students that I had a candle on my piano, and after it went out, I picked it up not realizing that the liquid wax was invisible and I tipped it just enough that the melted wax poured down the front of my piano!

Another idea are those flameless tea lights and they are just beautiful in a glass with those fake ice cubes in it.

I hate getting tea. Coffee or chocolate yes! So really, knowing what the teacher likes and dislikes is always a good idea!

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
After wine (as long as it is red), I treasure anything handmade, especially a card.

Just keep those damned Ferrero rochers for yourself!!!! Apart from the fact I can't stand them, they are most likely old stock left over from Easter, or worse....last Christmas!

Rob
M
M
I don't ever expect anything, but usually i get cards, or a box of chocolates, bath soaps, jewelry, homemade crafts, a few thoughtful students have given me travel coffee mugs, or Tim Horton's gift cards (5-20$) and one student even gave me a book of Mozart's Sonatas (awesome!) No one has directly given me money... personally i would find that a bit odd, since I myself never gave any of my teachers money. Usually a card, with chocolates, soaps, or some jewelry as well.

Mordent Music - Offering Piano and Music Theory Lessons in Windsor, Ontario
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
"Just keep those damned Ferrero rochers for yourself!!!!" LOL! I had those one time...such an attractive wrapper...tasted terrible...and little pieces of something...I remember getting a bit choked. Who buys them? They're awful!

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ann in Kentucky
"Just keep those damned Ferrero rochers for yourself!!!!" LOL! I had those one time...such an attractive wrapper...tasted terrible...and little pieces of something...I remember getting a bit choked. Who buys them? They're awful!

Hey, I'll take them!! [Linked Image]

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Originally Posted by Ann in Kentucky

Hey, I'll take them!! [Linked Image]

Share avec moi, please. 3hearts

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Over here! Ferraro Rochers! I know what to do with them!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Erghhhh! Can't stand them. There was this really bad month where I lived (almost) on avocados and Ferrero Rochers... Avocados I eat whole in a sitting - delicious, but those other things...

Other faves; soap (cos you can always use it, unlike lotions and more personal things), and any stationary no matter how simple or small - notebooks or pens or pencils or hole punches that produce a music note hole, you can always use stationary so it won't clutter up the house.

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
This thread is making me paranoid!! I got my teacher Ferrero rochers (am planning on giving them to her tomorrow). I don't think I have time to try to get something different...

frown

I've been taking lessons from her for less than a year... I wish I could ask one of the other students what they do. Anyway, this year I guess I'll go with the chocolates (sorry!) and a card, and maybe next year I should do a monetary tip instead???

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
W
W
Don't worry, ShiroKuro-- she will appreciate the gesture even if she doesn't like chocolates! And most people do like chocolates smile

Those Ferrero thingies are my idea of chocolate gone wrong smile But I'm kind of weird. Too many ingredients. Artificial flavoring? Soy Lecithin?

This is my idea of chocolate:
http://www.equalexchange.coop/chocolate-bars

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
ShiroKuro, it really is the thought that counts. I would be delighted to receive the Ferrero chocolates even though I don't like them. It would show me that the student appreciates the lessons...and I'm take them to a family gathering seeing if anyone else likes them better than I do.

C
C
I just got the most adorable porcelein salt and pepper shakers in the shape of keyboards. Very cute.

Working on:
Chopin: Barcarolle
Schubert: Sonata D959
Rachmaninoff: Daisies
Lutoslawski: Paganini Variations for 2 pianos

L
L
Hi Everyone,

My students usually give me a gift of some sort of gift at Christmas. Honestly speaking, I would feel bad if they didn't think of showing their teacher acknowledgement, but I don't expect everyone to give me a gift (however small). The ones that do cheer the season for me and I don't think about the one who don't negatively. It can be different every year. I do give everyone a small gift or a card to share the holidays with them. Some people think of their teachers and some don't. That's just the way it is and I don't fret about it or it might upset me at at a time that I want to be happy.
To ShiorKuro: It is definetly the thought that counts. Good for you for thinking of your teacher-thats very kind.

Lea,
Maryland

Last edited by ljohnson; 12/15/09 06:12 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission