Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1321098 - 12/08/09 01:46 PM Music Minus One
TempoPrimo Offline

Hi all,
Is the 'Music Minus One' series of books any good? Is the score easy to read, etc? Noticed these were on the expensive side, and wanted to check they were worth the price tag before buying.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1321107 - 12/08/09 02:00 PM Re: Music Minus One [Re: TempoPrimo]
RSP1 Offline

Loc: In a Cornfield, Illinois, USA
The scores are fine. The problem that I have discovered is that some of the orchestras used are substandard with major intonation problems.

Before you buy, check with your local library to see if they have any or can get them through interlibrary loan. I know that the Indianpolis Public Library has a number of them.

#1321171 - 12/08/09 03:21 PM Re: Music Minus One [Re: RSP1]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
I've got several piano concertos from MMO and I have found it to be a very useful tool for preparing a concerto for performance.

The scores are fine but not as good as some you can buy on your own. You may run into a problem with the alphabetical measure markers used for rehearsal. MMO letters did not always match the orchestral score measure markers so I had to sit down with the orchestral score and write them into mine.

The cost of a set buys you two CD's plus the score. One CD has the complete concerto (piano and orchestra) plus another rendition of the concerto with orchestra only. The second CD has the complete concerto (piano and orchestra) plus another rendition with orchestra only - but at a slower tempo.

I found working with the MMO CD's extremely useful. When you actually play with an orchestra, they follow you, but with the recordings, you really have to keep strict tempo to match the orchestra. This was a good learning experience for me. It also made very familiar with what the orchestra was doing. During one rehearsal, I lost my place. I was able to find it very quickly because I had listened to the orchestra so much, I knew exactly where they were. This was also very helpful during the performance because the dynamics and melody shifted back and forth between piano and orchestra and I had become very familiar with that dialogue.

If you are using MMO to imitate an actual concerto experience, you might find it disappointing because the orchestra does not respond to you. However, as a study tool, it is terrific.

One other suggestion. If you are preparing a concerto for performance, be prepared to have the tempo altered by the excitement of the performance. When I played the Bach D minor, we had rehearsed about about 80 BPM. I kept asking for a faster tempo but the youth orchestra conductor refused. Fortunately, I had practiced with a Perahia recording that was pretty fast, because at the performance, the conductor got excited started at about 100 BPS. I was able to keep up.

Deborah

#1321190 - 12/08/09 03:48 PM Re: Music Minus One [Re: gooddog]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: gooddog
[...] If you are preparing a concerto for performance, be prepared to have the tempo altered by the excitement of the performance. When I played the Bach D minor, we had rehearsed about about 80 BPM. I kept asking for a faster tempo but the youth orchestra conductor refused. Fortunately, I had practiced with a Perahia recording that was pretty fast, because at the performance, the conductor got excited started at about 100 BPS. I was able to keep up.

You are an even more formidable musician and technician than I had realized; to be able to go from 80 BMP to 100 BPS. Wow!

[Just teasing, of course!]

Cheers!

#1321193 - 12/08/09 03:54 PM Re: Music Minus One [Re: BruceD]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Oops! Ha ha. My hands were truly a blur. (In science I'm always dealing with seconds. I made the mistake out of habit!)

Deborah

#1321232 - 12/08/09 04:58 PM Re: Music Minus One [Re: gooddog]
Piano*Dad Offline

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
When my son was preparing to play his little Haydn concerto with a local orchestra we tried using MM1, but our experience was not as good. The rigidity of the orchestra's tempo is helpful in a small way, but not much more so than using a metronome. And it was problematic in the sense that it's not quite how things will go with a real orchestra and a real conductor. Also, as people have noted there were only two tempi provided for the orchestra. I would describe those two tempi as ... well, too fast and too slow! smile

The top speed was faster than the orchestra cared to go and the 'practice tempo' was quite a bit too slow for him. The disc got shelved pretty fast.

He was only twelve, so that was probably part of the problem. I suspect a more mature musician can make better use of it.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1321300 - 12/08/09 07:00 PM Re: Music Minus One [Re: Piano*Dad]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Piano*Dad
I suspect a more mature musician can make better use of it.
Hey, are you calling me old??? (Kidding).

I think the key thing to remember with MMO is that it is a tool. The best thing that comes from working with it is that it builds a familiarity with the orchestra, its entrances and its voicing. I agree that there are tempo problems. With the Bach I thought the slow recording was too fast and the fast recording too slow. I don't think it is possible to find a tempo that will satisfy everyone, but they were decent practice tempi.

Playing the piano is so solitary, the MMO recordings made me comfortable with being part of an ensemble. I found it really prepared me for the real thing and I was grateful for the confidence I gained from it.

Deborah

#1321356 - 12/08/09 08:34 PM Re: Music Minus One [Re: gooddog]
Piano*Dad Offline

Well, you did confuse BPM and BPS, didn't you! grin

You're right about entrances and exits. That helps, especially if you don't happen to have two pianos and two players at your disposal.
Grotrian 192 #156455

#1321369 - 12/08/09 08:57 PM Re: Music Minus One [Re: TempoPrimo]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: TempoPrimo
Hi all,
Is the 'Music Minus One' series of books any good? Is the score easy to read, etc? Noticed these were on the expensive side, and wanted to check they were worth the price tag before buying.

I purchased the Grieg Concerto. The score was nice enough and laid flat without to much coaxing. (staple bound instead of glue) I don't know if larger pieces are bound differently. My initial reason for buying it was the realization that I'll never play with an orchestra, however I found it hard to time myself to the recording. I'm sure pieces that have more shared time between the piano and orchestra are easier to negotiate. I picked the Grieg on the reputed ease of the piano part itself and didn't think to consider this. It seems nice for practice but it didn't fit my desires. I probably should have consulted this forum for a concerto that is relatively easy yet more of an embellishment to the orchestra.

#1321397 - 12/08/09 09:53 PM Re: Music Minus One [Re: Damon]
Philip Lu Offline

Loc: Hacienda Heights, CA
even funnier because BruceD misspelled it as BMP!

#1321468 - 12/08/09 11:50 PM Re: Music Minus One [Re: Philip Lu]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
Music Minus One has been around for a long time, and the merchandise has been continuously updated as the prevalent media for recorded music have evolved.

I thought it was interesting that the OP asks specifically about the scores, as I was unaware that anyone would be buying this product for any reason other than the recordings. It's nice that a score is included, but it's not necessarily going to be an edition that would be one's first choice as a study score.

It may be worth mentioning that the contents of different packages may vary. As far as I'm aware, not all sets include a slow-speed practice version.

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

#1321625 - 12/09/09 08:44 AM Re: Music Minus One [Re: sotto voce]
TempoPrimo Offline

Thank you all so much for your help and advice - always excellent on this forum.
Sounds like a (qualified) thumbs up for MMO. Will have a go at the Mozart 21 - not too original I know smile

(I know it is a bit odd to ask about the scores - I have a bit of a thing about bad quality scores. Playing the piano well is hard enough without the wretched score being too small to read, or refusing to lay flat on the music desk. Am fast turning into a Henle snob).

Thank you all again for your helpful advice.

#1321639 - 12/09/09 09:22 AM Re: Music Minus One [Re: TempoPrimo]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I wasn't even aware that Music Minus One had any competitors, but Amazon.com just sent me an e-mail that Mozart's K. 466 is available for pre-release ordering in Hal Leonard's "Classical Play-Along" edition.

This is the descriptive blurb at the Hal Leonard webpage for this series:

Quote:
The Hal Leonard Classical Play-Along series will help you play great classical pieces. Listen to the full performance tracks to hear how the piece sounds with an orchestra, and then play along using the accompaniment tracks. The audio CD is playable on any CD player. For PC and Mac computer users, the CD is enhanced so you can adjust the recording to any tempo without changing pitch.

I bolded the last sentence because I expected it to be especially relevant, given the specific problem some people have described with the MMO products.

Unfortunately, the range of titles in the Hal Leonard line is very limited (at least at present). The product descriptions aren't nearly as thoughtful or comprehensive as at MMO, either. Perhaps this is a new venture for HL and, as such, is a work in progress.

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

#1321644 - 12/09/09 09:29 AM Re: Music Minus One [Re: sotto voce]
Piano*Dad Offline

WOW! That has always been my beef with MM1. The inability to adjust the speed without altering pitch. Unfortunately, they seem to have very few titles available at this point. I can't imagine that the demand is really high.

BTW, if it's for PC and Mac users, that about covers the ground, doesn't it?
Grotrian 192 #156455

#1321650 - 12/09/09 09:45 AM Re: Music Minus One [Re: sotto voce]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Thanks Steven, I'm going to check this out.

Deborah

#1321655 - 12/09/09 09:56 AM Re: Music Minus One [Re: Piano*Dad]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

WOW! That has always been my beef with MM1. The inability to adjust the speed without altering pitch. Unfortunately, they seem to have very few titles available at this point. I can't imagine that the demand is really high.

BTW, if it's for PC and Mac users, that about covers the ground, doesn't it?

I guess us Atari and Commodore users are screwed again. laugh

BTW, you can use Audacity to change the speed without changing the pitch. (for MM1)

#1321671 - 12/09/09 10:31 AM Re: Music Minus One [Re: Damon]
Piano*Dad Offline

Never used Audacity. Is it an easy process to mess with pitch or is it fairly complex (except to a technophile)?

... and I'd like to see you try using Audacity on your Commodore! That would indeed take ..... um, audacity.

As Danton said, "... de l'audace, encore de l'audace, et toujours de l'audace!"
Grotrian 192 #156455

#1321673 - 12/09/09 10:37 AM Re: Music Minus One [Re: Piano*Dad]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Once you "rip" the track from the CD and then open the resulting audio file in Audacity, changing the tempo is straightforward (via Effect > Change Tempo from the menu bar).

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

#1321677 - 12/09/09 10:42 AM Re: Music Minus One [Re: sotto voce]
Piano*Dad Offline

Interesting. Is this a program that works on a Mac, or will the Mac programs (Garage Band or iTunes) do this as well? Pardon my techno-ignorance.
Grotrian 192 #156455

#1321682 - 12/09/09 10:48 AM Re: Music Minus One [Re: Piano*Dad]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

According to Audacity's home page, there's a version for Mac (and other platforms, too).

When it comes to the functionality Mac-specific programs, though, it's my turn to be techno-ignorant. smile

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

#1321683 - 12/09/09 10:51 AM Re: Music Minus One [Re: Piano*Dad]
Morodiene Online   content

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I think most audio programs can do this. I just did this with a recording that I made using Audacity. You simply click on "Import Audio" from the Project menu, then select the .wav file. You may need to copy the file from the CD first, as I did not try this from a CD. However, I was able to change the tempo with it distorting the sound or pitch.

This still does not allow for variances of tempo which inevitably happens in the process of a piece. I think you'd have to do some more detailed tweaking of the tempo at various spots to accommodate those. Still, I doubt you'll get the response that you would from playing with an orchestra or another pianist playing the transposition.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1321695 - 12/09/09 11:05 AM Re: Music Minus One [Re: Morodiene]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
You may need to copy the file from the CD first, as I did not try this from a CD.

That's what "rip" means in my answer to this question.

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

#1321703 - 12/09/09 11:23 AM Re: Music Minus One [Re: sotto voce]

Originally Posted By: sotto voce
Originally Posted By: Morodiene
You may need to copy the file from the CD first, as I did not try this from a CD.

That's what "rip" means in my answer to this question.

Steven

I know what "rip" means, thanks and I was not disagreeing with you. I was simply pointing out that in fact it can be done,as I just tried it and it was a simple matter.

#1321714 - 12/09/09 11:37 AM Re: Music Minus One [Re: Morodiene]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Oh, my mistake then. It appeared that you were unaware that the question had already been answered, and that you were speculating about the possibilities here.

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

#1321729 - 12/09/09 11:59 AM Re: Music Minus One [Re: sotto voce]

Originally Posted By: sotto voce
Oh, my mistake then. It appeared that you were unaware that the question had already been answered, and that you were speculating about the possibilities here.

Steven

No worries, I can see where you though that. smile

#1321838 - 12/09/09 02:07 PM Re: Music Minus One [Re: Piano*Dad]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Never used Audacity. Is it an easy process to mess with pitch or is it fairly complex (except to a technophile)?

... and I'd like to see you try using Audacity on your Commodore! That would indeed take ..... um, audacity.

As Danton said, "... de l'audace, encore de l'audace, et toujours de l'audace!"

Sounds like something a Spaniard would say. shocked It is fairly easy to manipulate (drop down menu). Depending on how much you want the speed to change, the results start to noticeably degrade.
The Commodore hasn't been used for awhile, but I still use my Atari ST, believe it or not.

#1322021 - 12/09/09 05:54 PM Re: Music Minus One [Re: Damon]
Piano*Dad Offline

Hey, my son is now an aficionado of, ah, don't take this the wrong way ...... antique game systems. I think he has one of those old Atari systems that he bought on ebay just for kicks.
Grotrian 192 #156455

#1322043 - 12/09/09 06:22 PM Re: Music Minus One [Re: Piano*Dad]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Hey, my son is now an aficionado of, ah, don't take this the wrong way ...... antique game systems. I think he has one of those old Atari systems that he bought on ebay just for kicks.

That's okay, I'm an antique, but I was talking about an actual Atari computer, that compared favorably to a Mac of the same time frame. I still use it, though it is temporarily out of commission while I reorganize my house.

#1322221 - 12/09/09 09:57 PM Re: Music Minus One [Re: sotto voce]
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Haverhill, Massachusetts
I have numerous MM-1 titles, which include a number of the Mozart concertos and the rest being chamber music. The chamber music is great because the quality of the recordings is much better than the reprocessed ones of the old concerto recordings.

I use my computer (laptop) for playback through a set of external speakers because the volume is a bit too low. The computer is great for playback with Windows Media player or some other playback software because the accompanist can grab the playing status bar and pull it back to another position. I've done this many times when working out problem sections.

My biggest complaint though is the volume of the recordings is sometimes too low compared to the piano. I have played the piano part on my digital piano with better results because I can adjust the volume much better.

Regarding playback speed. They offer a Karioke type box for seperate playback for quite a large sum of money. Audacity does the same thing for a lot less (free), and the playback on the computer has the added advantage mentioned above.

I have to admit that playing with real people is a lot more satisfying though because there is that nice synergy that develops within the group. Playing against a recording is actually more difficult because there is no feedback from the other performers and the performance becomes more of a keep up the tempo and playing along in time sort of like playing with a metronome set to full speed.

John

#1322510 - 12/10/09 09:49 AM Re: Music Minus One [Re: John Citron]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: John Citron
I have to admit that playing with real people is a lot more satisfying though because there is that nice synergy that develops within the group. Playing against a recording is actually more difficult because there is no feedback from the other performers and the performance becomes more of a keep up the tempo and playing along in time sort of like playing with a metronome set to full speed.

John

I wholeheartedly agree. My first live ensemble experience was exhilarating because of the synergy and dialogue among the instruments. I did find practicing with the recording difficult for the reasons you mentioned but I viewed this as an opportunity to work on the evenness of my tempo. It made me more aware that I am playing as part of a group and therefore need to pay better attention to my speed. In all my other music, I always play alone so my inner metronome is more self directed and self centered. I suspect orchestral musicians are much more attuned to keeping strict time because they are more used to being part of an ensemble. Learning how to focus on other musicians and keeping a strict tempo was good for me. When I finally had the actual performance, I was better prepared to listen and be part of the group but I was also stunned and thrilled to find the musicians following me. What a high!

Deborah

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
159 registered (accordeur, albumblatter, ajames, Almaviva, 52 invisible), 1695 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75336 Members
42 Forums
155774 Topics
2287169 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
First Digital Piano - Casio AP250 or Roland RP301?
by Jorgeb
07/10/14 02:07 PM
Interested in an Exam Program; Which One Best in Eastern US?
by ClsscLib
07/10/14 10:40 AM
Should I buy a CP4 or RD- 800 ?
by Abby Pianoman
07/10/14 10:02 AM
Lauberger & Gloss
by David, Las Vegas
07/10/14 09:40 AM
How do you measure progress?
by BrianDX
07/10/14 08:05 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission