Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1320932 - 12/08/09 09:05 AM First Keyboard with weighted keys for 7 year old
RedCoat999 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Looking for the cheapest(!) keyboard with weighted keys for a absolute beginner 7 year old. Is this the Casio CDP-100? If so, Amazon has it for $350.

Assuming it does not come with a stand is there a particular stand for this? I see one for over $110 for it on some site. Any more expensive keyboard with a stand included?

Thank you

Edited by RedCoat999 (12/08/09 09:18 AM)

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1321031 - 12/08/09 11:58 AM Re: First Keyboard with weighted keys for 7 year old [Re: RedCoat999]
Huygens Offline

Loc: Sweden
To your first question my answer is probably yes. It will be hard to get a new graded hammer keyboard for less than $300. But look for used ones too.

To your second question I say, use a table, that is cheap.

To your third question I have to ask what you mean with "more expensive keyboard"?

#1321045 - 12/08/09 12:15 PM Re: First Keyboard with weighted keys for 7 year old [Re: RedCoat999]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: RedCoat999
Looking for the cheapest(!) keyboard with weighted keys for a absolute beginner 7 year old. Is this the Casio CDP-100? If so, Amazon has it for $350.

Assuming it does not come with a stand is there a particular stand for this? I see one for over $110 for it on some site. Any more expensive keyboard with a stand included?

Thank you

Check out Guitar Center's $50 off coupon. Of just go in the store and ask for the $299 price. While you are there pick up one of their "X Stands" for about $25.

Tables are to tall. The keys need to be 29 inches from the floor, Most tables place the keys to high

I did not like the way a plastic keyboard slides on the metal bars of the x-stand. Any kind of friction tape over the bars fixes this problem. Use the cork/rubber tape made for bicycle drop down style handlebars or hockey sticks.

Here is a stand that might work
http://www.samash.com/p/KS7190%20Single%20Braced%20X%20Style%20Keyboard%20Stand_-49976461

#1321081 - 12/08/09 01:05 PM Re: First Keyboard with weighted keys for 7 year old [Re: ChrisA]
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
for stand, get a double bar X stand, which is cheaper and more stable than single bar one, like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Casio-GSDX-Deluxe-Keyboard-Stand/dp/B00006343B
or this:
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-PKBX2-Double-Portable-Keyboard/dp/B00079DRUO/ref=tag_dpp_lp_edpp_ttl_ex

#1321091 - 12/08/09 01:23 PM Re: First Keyboard with weighted keys for 7 year old [Re: signa]
MarkL Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago Suburban
I would try renting from wherever you get lessons. If the kid's still at it in a year, they'll probably let you apply all or some of the rental to a purchase, and then you'll know more about what to buy. If they stop playing, you lose some rental fee.

Other option is to buy used, you'll save a lot. You're in a major city, try craigslist and if you see something you like, ask on the forum about price. I think you'll end up with either Casio or Yamaha, the other major brands don't have quite as low an entry price point as those two. You can also go on ebay, but sometimes shipping can add $50-100.

#1321669 - 12/09/09 10:29 AM Re: First Keyboard with weighted keys for 7 year old [Re: MarkL]
RedCoat999 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Thank you all for your valued opinions. Good stuff.

#1321772 - 12/09/09 12:58 PM Re: First Keyboard with weighted keys for 7 year old [Re: RedCoat999]
limavady Offline

Loc: California
The double X stands are more stable than the single X that's for sure and i'd avoid getting a single X at any rate but i think most if not all of the X stands, double or single, also place the keys too high. I have a double X now using for my older yamaha keyboard and the keys are at 30 1/8" where they should be at 28 5/8" which is where the stand made for the p155 I have places those keys. The difference may seem slight but that little bit of having to extend your wrist to reach that extra inch and a half is noticeable especially when you compare. Does anyone know of any of the X or platform stands that set the keys at 28 5/8 to 29"? I've read here someone saying they got the stage platform type stand and hacksawed a couple of inches off the legs to bring it down to the right height. ---Of course the one way to get the right height does seem to be to get the stand that is for the casio or yamaha (if available for that model) It does make it less portable though and if you can get them down a bit on the price while you're buying the keyboard that would be cool because the price for these is about at least $100.

#1321892 - 12/09/09 03:08 PM Re: First Keyboard with weighted keys for 7 year old [Re: limavady]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
I would recommend against X stands. They often have legroom issues, and the height adjustment can be all over the place.

I prefer the Quik-Lok W550 / On-Stage Stands WS8550 (same thing AFAIK, very versatile), or the Quik-Lok M-91 (really fast setup / teardown).

The W550 has handy accessories you can buy for it like a 3 sheet music stand, speaker shelves, 2nd tier, etc.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
90 registered (Atrys, BB Player, AZ_Astro, Anticlock, 24 invisible), 1367 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156298 Topics
2295417 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tight Key ??
by moy71
07/31/14 01:15 AM
Learning progress
by sunnyday
07/31/14 01:10 AM
How old is a Ahlborn-Galanti Digital Pipe Organ Chronicler
by Chopinlover49
07/30/14 10:55 PM
1906 Steinway K52 purchase for recording studio?
by nlive
07/30/14 10:44 PM
Marc-André Hamelin discusses Rachmaninoff
by vers la flan
07/30/14 09:59 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission