2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

You can have all of that ... but not for $1000. Could it be made and sold for that price? Maybe. But put yourselves in the manufacturer's position. Why do it? People are willing to by $6000 (?) for the V Piano, or $20,000 for the Avant Grand. So why give it all away for $1000?

I'd buy it, that's why, and you would too. What are we talking here? 1GB of flash, 1GHz processor, a bit of ram, almost nothing these days. You can put it together yourself at newegg. I'm so tired of the table scraps they've been peddling. They're so used to know-nothing parents looking for a deal on a first keyboard they don't know how to make anything real anymore. Sometimes I wonder if they are colluding in keeping our expectations low and their prices artificially high...

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Triryche
I do not own one, but I'm pretty sure the P-155 does not have sympathetic resonance, which is different than damper/sustain resonance.

The P155 manual says it has "Sustain Samples". You are correct, this isn't the same as pedal down velocity layers (if that is what you meant). But that is better than nothing, particularly when compared to other digital pianos (which isn't saying a lot).

But really, in the grand scheme of things, at the price point of ~ $1000 USD, it is a respectable board.

Yes, but only when compared to other digital pianos (which isn't saying a lot).

Just curious why you are only looking at the above listed boards? Is it a price thing? If not, and you are looking for the best sound in a DP, you should also consider the major players' flagship models.
Without getting into the console DP units, these are definately worth looking into @ ~ $2k
The Yamaha CP300 or S90es/xs
Roland RD700sx/gx
Kawai MP8 or MP8II

CP300, RD700sx/gx, MP8 all have looping (so says Purgatory Creek). No way in heck am I laying serious bucks down for inferior technology. PC samplers had it all over these guys like 5+ years ago, who are they kidding? Not me.

M
M
You can check if your DP handles "sympathetic resonance"(some manufacturers call it "string resonance") or not.

Without pressing the sustain pedal, press C4(center C) with ppp and then press F3(F which is lower closest to C4) with staccato with strong accent. If you hear the sound of C5(one octave upper than C4) your DP handles sympathetic resonance.

This happens because the 3rd harmonic of F3 is close to the 2nd harmonic of C4.

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KAWAI James
However, while the sound of most consumer digital pianos is certainly no match for dedicated software-based sample pianos such as Ivory or Garritan Steinway, I do believe that the technology employed has progressed considerably in recent years.
It hasn't progressed nearly as fast as the PC sampler / emulator market. No disrespect, but what do the engineers DO all day at Kawai? Sit around designing the next micro-incremental advance in digital pianos by adding/removing a button here and there? Look at ancient PC samplers and say "we could do that"?

Furthermore, with innovative new products such as the V-Piano and Avant Grand raising the bar, it is surely only a matter of time before your prayers are answered.
My prayers were answered years ago with PC samplers / emulators. I just want someone to put it in a rackmount / keyboard. Is that seriously too much to ask?

ChrisA makes an excellent point about consumer expectations. I do not believe the majority of individuals who purchase a digital piano are terribly interested in how many layers have been sampled, the resolution and bit depth of the voices, or the maximum polyphony of model X versus model Y. Most consumers simply expect an instrument to feel and sound like an acoustic piano - provided it fulfils these expectations I believe they will be quite satisfied.
This board is full of people who are quite interested in these details, otherwise it probably would not exist. Also, leaders lead, they don't sit around following blind consumers and their idiot expectations, they are busy dreaming up and implementing the next big thing.

Please excuse my rudeness, my hair would be on fire 24/7 if I were able to work at Kawai (or Yamaha, Roland, Korg, etc.).

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by munkeegutz
I wanna know the same thing: if you can get a 500gig hard drive for $55 and 1gig of ram for $23 there should be no problems getting a 800MB piano sample (or 40) on there. heck! you could fill up the entire midi standard with 1gig samples and still have plenty of space for your 300gb of rhythm data wink

It is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma...

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Martin C. Doege

Or perhaps the "clueless parents" are right in this case: Compared to a bad acoustic, the typical Casio or Yamaha entry-level digital sounds pretty great, and the differences in touch are not that huge. So they mainly buy based on price, what the sales guy says, and whether the DP color fits with the other living room furniture. Hopefully the second instrument will then be bought with their children having a say...
I learned guitar on a very lame Harmony that had rather serious intonation problems - there was really no way to tune it correctly. It was a serious impediment to my musical education and enjoyment. The first instrument can make or break an interest in a whole area of interest of one's life.

[edit] If you're talking Casio CDP-100 as as low a one should go, I'd agree. But many of my wife's students play on crap toys, and it is often impossible to get their parents to upgrade once they have made the initial investment (however small). Everyone suffers as a result.

Last edited by dewster; 12/09/09 02:46 AM.
M
M
I've been thinking lately, I'm a computer engineering student so how hard would it be to design something like this on an FPGA? We could keep it simple at first, and just use a single piano sample, off some flash. it looks like the memory involved would be pretty cheap. I have quite a few ideas about simplifying the system, especially if I can give myself some ridiculous polyphony (704 polyphony, or 8*88, would make me happy).

I have concerns with hardware costs and how much processing power I'd need, i'm especially doubtful that a cheap FPGA could pull it off. nonetheless, I like it!

I think I have a senior design idea.....

Last edited by munkeegutz; 12/09/09 01:55 AM.
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by munkeegutz
I've been thinking lately, I'm a computer engineering student so how hard would it be to design something like this on an FPGA? We could keep it simple at first, and just use a single piano sample, off some flash. it looks like the memory involved would be pretty cheap. I have quite a few ideas about simplifying the system, especially if I can give myself some ridiculous polyphony (704 polyphony, or 8*88, would make me happy).

I have concerns with hardware costs and how much processing power I'd need, i'm especially doubtful that a cheap FPGA could pull it off. nonetheless, I like it!

I think I have a senior design idea.....

I learned on VHDL but switched to Verilog for a big project a couple of years ago - I highly recommend Verilog (less verbose, etc.). Do your project on a Xilinx Spartan3 demo board (can be had for <$200, has flash, DRAM, LCD, AD/DA, RS232, VGA, etc.). I use the simulator in Altera's Quartus tool (very nice). Not sure if FPGAs are the way to go for a full-blown commercial synth, but the smaller ones are showing up in all kinds of things lately. Most now have hardware multipliers / DSP sections associated with 1/2 or more of the block RAMs.

I really love digital design, it is much more creative than I ever thought it would be (I was an analog hobbyist in my youth)! Look at www.opencores.org & anywhere else you can find ideas.

For this kind of thing you will probably end up needing to understand DRAM interfaces (complex) and the DSP blocks.

You can really differentiate yourself from the other EE coders by making FPGAs your thing, it is a niche job that requires a special skill set. It is true digital design. I enjoy working with both the board guys and the C coders, and I never really have to get my hands too dirty or worry about external deadlines too much.

Last edited by dewster; 12/09/09 02:23 AM.
dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
If I were an EE in the synth / digital piano department of Korg, Yamaha, Roland, KAWAI, whatever (drool, drool) I don't know if I'd be able to get out of bed in the morning and hold my head up after having my ass repeatedly kicked by cheap PC software / hardware for the last decade or so. Don't those guys have any self-respect? How do they show up for work every day and manage turn on their PC, knowing that it pwned almost their entire product line years ago?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dewster

The P155 manual says it has "Sustain Samples". You are correct, this isn't the same as pedal down velocity layers (if that is what you meant).

Sympathetic (or string) resonance is the simulation (be it sampled or modeled) of undamped strings being excited by other strings, due to harmonics as mezzo-poor points out.

CP300, RD700sx/gx, MP8 all have looping (so says Purgatory Creek). No way in heck am I laying serious bucks down for inferior technology. PC samplers had it all over these guys like 5+ years ago, who are they kidding? Not me.

confused I guess I am a bit confused. I (mistakenly?) thought the intent of your post was to gather opinions on the realism of DP's for recommendations for students. Perhaps it's more of a discussion on the state of the art and/or price and demand.
PC ROMplers are a far cry from a quality stand alone final product which offers musicians a viable alternative to an acoustic piano.
Inferior technology?? Hardly!!

M
M
If I were an EE in the synth / digital piano department of Korg, Yamaha, Roland, KAWAI, whatever (drool, drool) I don't know if I'd be able to get out of bed in the morning and hold my head up after having my ass repeatedly kicked by cheap PC software / hardware for the last decade or so. Don't those guys have any self-respect? How do they show up for work every day and manage turn on their PC, knowing that it pwned almost their entire product line years ago?

Well, that's monopoly (or duopoly) capitalism for you. Yamaha brings out a DP with 3 layers, Casio follows suit. Yamaha upgrades to 4 layers (P-155), Casio will follow suit. Etc. There aren't many improvements to the hardware per se, so instead they play the incremental update game. This may also be due to manufacturers considering DPs a more or less finished product, so the R&D budgets are probably not that big anymore, except for developments like the V-Piano or AvantGrand.

If you created a startup company and developed something much, much better, Yamaha and Casio would probably buy you out. Ideally they would integrate the technology into their own DPs (that's how half of Apple's products seem to have begun), or perhaps they would simply bury it (more likely).

If you're talking Casio CDP-100 as as low a one should go, I'd agree. But many of my wife's students play on crap toys, and it is often impossible to get their parents to upgrade once they have made the initial investment (however small). Everyone suffers as a result.

I was mainly referring to people buying some random weighted Casio or Yamaha, and how they can't really go completely wrong with that (for a beginner). Of course there are also quite a bit of no-name trash keyboards...

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
I guess I am a bit confused. I (mistakenly?) thought the intent of your post was to gather opinions on the realism of DP's for recommendations for students. Perhaps it's more of a discussion on the state of the art and/or price and demand.
Sorry, I got worked up and hijacked my own thread!

PC ROMplers are a far cry from a quality stand alone final product which offers musicians a viable alternative to an acoustic piano.
Inferior technology?? Hardly!!
Well, digital pianos are not nearly state-of-the-art when it comes to the electronic guts. Treating sample memory like it is some kind of precious commodity is so 1980's. And fairly snappy processors are a dime a dozen these days. You throw out what could be the brains of a very good digital piano every time you upgrade your cell phone.

I think DP manufacturers are playing the same game PC "manufacturers" like Dell, HP, etc. are playing. Any feature not immediately obvious to the average Joe consumer is designed out. This is why I build my own PCs.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sorry, I got worked up and hijacked my own thread!

LOL!! Hopefully you didn't offend the OP!!

Well, digital pianos are not nearly state-of-the-art when it comes to the electronic guts. Treating sample memory like it is some kind of precious commodity is so 1980's.
Yeah, it's definitely the marketing smoke and mirrors game aimed at the not so electronically savvy musician or parent.

We are definitely stuck with either being spoon fed, or forking out ridiculous $$. (or starting your own business).

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Martin C. Doege
Of course there are also quite a bit of no-name trash keyboards...

As well as a bunch of name-brand trash keyboards - my wife has to play on an older ~$500 "toy" Yamaha at church, poor thing. I installed their PA, and every chance I get I tell them they really need something better, but it seems they already crossed that bridge and don't really want to discuss it further.

Same thing with most of the parents of her students, can't get them to upgrade from a terribly insufficient toy to save their lives, even if it is obviously holding the student back. They spend so much on lessons, the price of a decent (as they go) DP is nothing in comparison. Sometimes I fantasize going the "cold, dead hands" route :-).

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
We are definitely stuck with either being spoon fed, or forking out ridiculous $$. (or starting your own business).

Or not buying for a while until things catch up, that's the route I'm taking. Meanwhile, my wife needs recommendations from the current lame crop of DPs, and I have to hold my nose while perusing the stone knives and bearskins that pass for such.

I had an email exchange with someone at Pianoteq a year or more ago. In the process of begging for a teacher's discount (which they offer BTW) I begged the guy to put something like it in a box or board, but he said they weren't interested. Now that they have a Linux port I wonder if rolling your own box wouldn't be so difficult.

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
UPDATE:

I sent another email to Yamaha asking several questions about the sampling on the P-155. Got a call on the answering machine a couple of minutes ago from a guy named "Lewis" who proceeded to hem and haw his way through not answering any of them - and then he was cut off by our machine.

Lewis claimed that the engineers don't divulge how they do the sampling on the P-155 (lord, like sampling is some huge trade secret) but he did say that he didn't think all the keys were sampled (i.e. there is some stretching of samples across multiple keys) which is pretty much the opposite of what my first email from Yamaha seems to state.

The feeling I get about this is that Yamaha doesn't want to go on record with any technical info not in the brochure or user's manual (which is pretty slim pickens IMO). They make a big deal about the number of multi-samples, but they won't discuss looping or stretching, issues which are arguably as important. I guess I'll just have to find one in a store and check out the looping / stretching myself <sigh>.

Anyone from Yamaha out there that could comment on this? I want to know, definitively, the following:
1. Is every key individually sampled (i.e. no sample stretching)?
2. How many velocity layers (I assume 4)?
3. Are there pedal up and pedal down velocity layers, or what?
4. Is looping employed?
5. Is the sympathetic resonance a single sample? If not, what is it?

Is this too much to ask? This kind of info is readily available for any PC sample set as it is critical to judging the sample set quality. I don't see DPs as any different.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
1. i don't think that every key is sampled on current Yamaha DPs, low or high end (except perhaps n2/n3). i remember some people talked about it a while ago on this forum.
2. P155 has 4 level dynamic sampling, i.e. velocity layers.

5. no idea. but P155 definitely doesn't have it, while CP300/P250/PF500/CLP380 all have it.

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by signa
1. i don't think that every key is sampled on current Yamaha DPs, low or high end (except perhaps n2/n3). i remember some people talked about it a while ago on this forum.

OK, that right there tells me I'm not interested in the P-155 as a replacement for our P-120. I'll just keep waiting I guess <sigh>.

Thanks!

M
M
Originally Posted by signa

OK, that right there tells me I'm not interested in the P-155 as a replacement for our P-120. I'll just keep waiting I guess <sigh>.

Thanks!

I believe Yamaha samples about every third piano key, while Roland actually does sample every single key. It might be that the higher-end Clavinovas are also sampled key-for-key.

However, I still prefer the sound of a Yamaha over a Roland for some reason. It's also about the quality, not just quantity of samples used. Fewer sampled keys means a longer time before looping sets in (if one assumes the same memory footprint), which is presumably why Yamaha still does sample stretching.

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
I think all DP manufacturers have put a lot of time and money into making the samples for their keyboards, and they are reluctant to just dump them in these days of $1 GB ROM.

Sucks to be them - I'm tired of their ancient crap and refuse to buy any more of it until it is less than a decade behind current technology.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission