2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
CebuKid #1345740 01/10/10 02:54 PM
L
L
cebukid70, no, sorry, i wasn't trying to be, what's the word. oblique or indirect to you in bringing up what you said....but it did sound like that! So I'm glad you saw this. I think though that you could start hacking through hanon by just using that first measure (and then maybe the first measure of the descending part because sometimes the fingering is different or reversed) as a pattern.

I wouldn't ever underestimate the potential in just playing by ear either. There's a guy on youtube, adrianlee, who plays everything by ear and if anything it seems that playing by ear has one advantage which is freeing you up from what can seem to be the formality of reading music....in other words this guy can cook....maybe something like someone reading a story aloud from a book and someone else telling the story ad lib.

limavady #1345748 01/10/10 03:05 PM
CebuKid Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by limavady
cebukid70, no, sorry, i wasn't trying to be, what's the word. oblique or indirect to you in bringing up what you said....but it did sound like that! So I'm glad you saw this. I think though that you could start hacking through hanon by just using that first measure (and then maybe the first measure of the descending part because sometimes the fingering is different or reversed) as a pattern.

I wouldn't ever underestimate the potential in just playing by ear either. There's a guy on youtube, adrianlee, who plays everything by ear and if anything it seems that playing by ear has one advantage which is freeing you up from what can seem to be the formality of reading music....in other words this guy can cook....maybe something like someone reading a story aloud from a book and someone else telling the story ad lib.

I envy those play-by-ear types too. I've seen them in YouTube also, and they play scores "correctly" as well, by ear. It's amazing!

Getting back to Hanon, I think I'll stick to reading the exercises. Everyone's correct that it's not that difficult to read, and it's just a repeating pattern played across octaves. Plus, if I keep avoiding sight-reading I'll never get better at it. laugh

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
CebuKid #1345884 01/10/10 05:13 PM
L
L
I'm trying to get better at sight-reading myself but have to admit i take maybe a bit of a shortcut when it comes to hanon....that is like i mentioned i just get the pattern and fingering down and then go for it until my little finger reaches that 2nd octave g and then i come back down. Not that you're asking but i would suggest playing many short pieces to mix up what you're playing (and not just learn one piece at a time ultimately by rote even when you're intially learning it by sight-reading) One good book for this is essential keyboard repertoire, vol 1 for starts, and get the one w/ the cd if you get it at all.

limavady #1345950 01/10/10 06:12 PM
CebuKid Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by limavady
I'm trying to get better at sight-reading myself but have to admit i take maybe a bit of a shortcut when it comes to hanon....that is like i mentioned i just get the pattern and fingering down and then go for it until my little finger reaches that 2nd octave g and then i come back down. Not that you're asking but i would suggest playing many short pieces to mix up what you're playing (and not just learn one piece at a time ultimately by rote even when you're intially learning it by sight-reading) One good book for this is essential keyboard repertoire, vol 1 for starts, and get the one w/ the cd if you get it at all.

Hi again, limavady. So far, I guess we think alike. smile In my 1st year as an adult beginner, I've "rote learned" some fairly advanced repertoire, but hardly worked on anything easy, which didn't really improve my sight-reading ability. This year, I plan to mix it up a bunch. Currently, I'm working on sight-reading an easy piece, along with a difficult Joplin piece. I also sight-read when I help my little girl who plays also.

Thanks for the tips on Hanon. I'll start exercise 2 shortly, since doing Hanon drills was one of my New Years' resolutions....and plus, all you nice people here have convinced me on the benefits. thumb

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
CebuKid #1346058 01/10/10 07:47 PM
I have just started Hanon training and it is boring me to tears. But I think that it is going to teach me something about finger placement and patterns. And hopefully these things will pop out at me someday when needed? I will keep it up, but as of now, I am not getting it. LOL

“Some people stay far away from the door if there’s a chance of it opening up. They hear a voice in the hall outside and hope that it just passes by.” Billy Joel

1970 Baldwin Hamilton
HappyApple #1346096 01/10/10 08:55 PM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
For those of you learning Hanon from a teacher, how long should we do #1 before moving on to #2.

joangolfing #1346225 01/10/10 10:52 PM
L
L
yikes, that is take this with a grain of salt because there's no teacher involved here but I wouldn't feel bad about waiting too long. I suppose progress may be slower because you're just starting out but after a week or two of going thru exercise #1 why not try #2? Both of these, from the instructions above #2 in my hanon edition, are meant to be played together and as it says 4 times through although i usually will make up my own routines...sometimes playing each exercise twice in a row before moving onto the next for instance...I'm a little further than this now but when i was up to about #10 a few weeks back i'd even sometimes start with that exercise and work back to #1 playing each twice usually. ---There are times i won't feel like doing them and then I'll usually just jump into playing some pieces, fairly easy Bach or others that i'm working on but i look at doing the hanon like hitting a tennis ball against the wall before actually playing where it will hopefully improve my overall game so to speak.

CebuKid #1346473 01/11/10 06:24 AM
P
P
I use Hanon exercises for 2 reasons:
1) I think they are a great "gymnastic" for the hands;
2) I can practise also in those evenings when all you want to do is switch off the brain and do nothing: executing Hanon can be so automatic that you barely have to pay attention to what you're doing...

Whan I was young I found them totally boring, but now I find something of a mantra in them...sometimes I think I could fall in a musical trance playing Hanon.

Also, transposing the exercise up and down one semitone helps a lot.

Kawai RX 5
Yamaha Clavinova PF P100
Roland FP4-f
plobotta #1346481 01/11/10 07:14 AM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I do love all these comments and they are helping greatly. I believe in the fingering as it is written and work on getting that automatic at every speed. So far I'm about 75 bpm on #1. I especially like the "musical trances" that Hanon might create. No multitasking and staying in the present moment!!

joangolfing #1347475 01/12/10 09:44 AM
H
Hop Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by joangolfing
It seems to rival doing wrist curls with weights to develop my forearms.

Actually, I understand that what is required is flexibility in the forearms. Curls to develop strength in the forearms build muscle mass, but inhibit flexibility and therefore are specifically advised against. Or so I'm told.

Hop

HG178, Roland FP-5, Casio PX 130
Hop #1347501 01/12/10 10:25 AM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I would advise against shifting into auto-pilot when doing Hanon. That's when bad habits can creep in, and when damage can inadvertently occur.

Use the exercises as an opportunity to observe how your hands work, where tension develops, and how to alleviate that tension.

moscheles001 #1347802 01/12/10 04:35 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by moscheles001
I would advise against shifting into auto-pilot when doing Hanon. That's when bad habits can creep in, and when damage can inadvertently occur.

Use the exercises as an opportunity to observe how your hands work, where tension develops, and how to alleviate that tension.

You're right, clearly. What I meant, talking about not thinking while playng Hanon, was that there is no need to read and pay attention to different parts for the right and left hands, to complicated parts...it's all very mechanic and repetitive so as to be able to just concentrate on your hands.

Kawai RX 5
Yamaha Clavinova PF P100
Roland FP4-f
plobotta #1347813 01/12/10 04:51 PM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
That's why I'm not among those who oppose Hanon. It definitely has value as a learning tool.

I wonder how "good" someone would be were they to really concentrate on mastering all the exercises? What would their technique be like, and would they be able to learn repertory more easily because of their advanced technique? (Assuming this really did result in an advanced technique.)

moscheles001 #1347820 01/12/10 05:00 PM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I find Hanon sort of like tai chi for the fingers - for me, they encourage a kind of relaxed mindfulness.

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
moscheles001 #1347825 01/12/10 05:05 PM
A
A
For you guys going through Hanon, at what point do you move on to the next exercise? After a week? After you've built up a certain amount of speed? I feel like if I do one a week, I'll never get done!

anadyr21 #1347838 01/12/10 05:19 PM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I did one a week through part one, then did a different one from part one each day until I got them up to mm=108 without struggling. I did the same with part two.

I honestly do think It helped my technique. I also started doing them in all keys, but had to stop because I just didn't have the time.

anadyr21 #1347853 01/12/10 05:32 PM
H
Hop Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by anadyr21
For you guys going through Hanon, at what point do you move on to the next exercise? After a week? After you've built up a certain amount of speed? I feel like if I do one a week, I'll never get done!

I've been doing 1-5, double octave, non-stop from 1-5. I do staccato triplets at 100 bpm (i.e., 300 keystrokes per minute). I do this three times. Then I do stoccato at 125 or more bpm (twice) from 1-5, double octaves. Then I do legato at 135 bpm or so from 1-5, double octave. This takes nearly an hour. Every day. Yuck!

I'll get to the other exercises, but I'm interested in building finger independence, speed, endurance, and musicality. I hope this pays off.

Hop

HG178, Roland FP-5, Casio PX 130
Hop #1347871 01/12/10 05:46 PM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I'm not very organized about it (about anything!). I downloaded the exercises quite a while ago but have only printed the first 5. I do a couple of them a day as a warm-up, about 3 octaves each - was doing 4 & 5 for a few days but went back to 1 & 2 the other day. 1's so easy & I can do it really fast - my teacher said I should do it in different keys, but I haven't done much of that. 4 & 5 I can do quite fast, too, but for 2 I had to slow down quite a bit, especially since I hadn't done it for a while. I'll probably print a few more pages soon, but I'm thinking it would be useful to put them into different rhythms, etc, and to practice playing them staccato, legato, etc.

Carol

[Linked Image]
joyoussong #1348367 01/13/10 07:53 AM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by joyoussong
I find Hanon sort of like tai chi for the fingers - for me, they encourage a kind of relaxed mindfulness.

What a wonderful comparison!! What tai chi method do you practice? I have been doing both Yang long form and Wu short form.

joangolfing #1348502 01/13/10 12:26 PM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I've done Yang short (24) for years & years, & we're working on Yang 48, but it's SO long to learn! Some nice moves, though. I have a balance (inner ear) impairment, & for a long time I've been going to a class aimed at the balance challenged, but I had a couple of other teachers before that. I don't know anything about Wu style, or what the difference is.

Carol

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission