2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Barb860
Yes, even the finest pianists mess up! Go read "forgetful on stage" on Stephen Hough's website www.stephenhough.com
for a good laugh.

Yes, thank-you, Barb, for sharing that, and thank-you, Masume, for supplying the link. It was very interesting and also comforting to know that the very best pianists also have their own "oops" moments. Part of making a mistake, whether amateur or pro, is knowing what to do next!

(I was kidding about being perfect. I'm pretty sure that I will always play worse in public than at home, and I'm certainly not perfect there!)

Bearlake...it was amazing how much playing the wrong rhythm changed the piece. I just didn't know it well enough to realize what I was doing. I've learned that audiences often don't notice little mistakes, but this was really glaring and I can't see how anyone could have missed it!

J
J
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
At least you didn't start "playing" a digital without having it plugged in or have to be told by the choral conductor to stop singing along

*happened to me

lol. at a piano camp one time, we had about six people playing the same two parts for a performance, and my friend found out at the end that his didital piano wasnt turned on.

JBL

To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong.
Rachmaninoff op3 no 5
Chopin Polonaise op 40 no 1
Beethoven-Sonata op 14 no 1
Hayden Piano Concerto in D major, Hob. XVIII:11
O
O
lauralei,

just to encourage you to keep playing...we have all gone through anxiety and regrets for poor preparation or performances. But keep in mind that most of the audience is appreciative of our efforts and talent and they are not very critical. Our worst critics are ourselves. You probably tend to be a bit of a perfectionist, and that makes things worse. Playing in church, retirement homes, charity benefits, for friends and family - that's where you get your confidence. All of this advice has been mentioned here before - but I just want to second it!
My funny story is that I used to fill in on organ in church, even though I never really studied the organ. Basic pedaling and stops were easy. So I decided to get a little bold, and fooled around with the stops and the volume. Well, every Sunday we had a quiet prayer time when the pastor would pray with the congregation and the organist was supposed to play a very very quiet hymn in the background (this was a small country Baptist church). I couldn't hear myself (on the organ) and dove into a beautiful hymn for prayer - not knowing that the volume was loud enough that the congregation could not hear the pastor. I played all the way through this prayer and nobody ever said anything...the pastor didn't stop me, nothing. The only reason I knew is that my family told me when I got home. Being a perfectionist, I quit playing the organ for the church because I was so embarassed. But nobody even cared. That's my sad story.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Maybe I should stop reading this thread crazy With my first piano performance coming up this sunday - reading of all the many things that can go wrong is making me nervous!
But at least it gives me some perspective smile JBL, re your friend's silent performance (oh dear!) that happened to me and a friend the first time we sung (backing vocals) with a band. We were inaudible but couldn't tell until afterwards when lead singer announced "That was lovely, girls! Too bad we couldn't hear you." grrrr! It was hard to forgive him for making us look like twits as we scuttled off stage blushing.

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
R
R
I remember my very first recital a half-century ago. I was playing "Rudolf the Red-nosed Reindeer" In the bridge section, I got into keys unknown to man-kind. Now to this day I can not play the middle section without the music in front of me. I can play hundreds of pop pieces off the top of my head. I can do Bach and Beethoven and company, but I have this bizarre mental block on this crazy song!

R
R
I remember my very first recital a half-century ago. I was playing "Rudolf the Red-nosed Reindeer" In the bridge section, I got into keys unknown to man-kind. Now to this day I can not play the middle section without the music in front of me. I can play hundreds of pop pieces off the top of my head. I can do Bach and Beethoven and company, but I have this bizarre mental block on this crazy song!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just think, if nothing bad or scary or embarrassing ever happened to us, we'd have no good stories to tell. Thank goodness for these good stories! It keeps all the rest of us smiling. smile

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Not a piano flub....but in some musical I was playing the piano for(during the performance) one of the actors did something wrong and cursed rather strongly under his breadth. Only trouble was he didn't realize his body mike was on, so it wasn't under his breadth at all.

D
D
Laura,

I've got several nursing homes where I make surprise appearances. One of the nursing homes is glum, dreary, depressing, and just awful. (My uncle was there for several years despite my protests.) I make a point of going to this awful place to play, hopefully bringing some joy to others who are "imprisoned" in that environment. I'm sure there are several places like this near you, too. You'll bring some joy and color into the resident's world and soon will forget about yourself. There are kind aides who will actually bring patients out of their rooms to sing or listen.

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Congratulations for pulling through this, Laura. I've done similar things likewise, and like you felt like a twit when everything was done. The most important thing when playing with someone else, a very good teacher-friend told me a very long time ago, is to begin together and end together strongly and with affirmation. He said you can go off on tangents in the middle, but as long as you end together, the world will be happy. wink

This isn't going to stop you from thinking the performance over in your head and worrying about the stupid mistakes you made. This is human and very much the music-critic in us to think about what we could have done better.

Someday when I get a chance, I'll post about my recent piano duet performance that went less than stellar on December 10th.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
I happened to see recently that there is a series of clips( about 14 of them) that encompass a documentary about Keith Jarret's career on Youtube.

Here is link to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9rTZLjBOfI&feature=related

If you watch enough of it ( and it's well worth doing so IMO) a couple of things become clear:

Keith is of course a genius, but he too is hard on himself.

He makes the point about one's expectations and how they effect us. For reasons talked about in the documentary, The Koln Concert nearly didn't happen. For various reasons, expectations were near zero, and from this he played the inspired music we know of that day.

Neil

Light Touch Piano Moves LLC
Lighttouchpianomoves.com
206-547-7664
https://www.facebook.com/Pianolift-USA-227200424150713/
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission