2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (bcalvanese, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 6 invisible), 1,372 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
T'sMom Offline OP
OP Offline
T
My daughter takes Saturday morning violin lessons in a small music school in our town. There are several rooms that open into a common waiting area, and various simultaneous lessons going on. The owner is usually present, teaching voice or piano when we are there.

Several times when we have entered, I have smelled marijuana. At first I thought I was wrong but I am sure of it. My best guess is that some partying goes on there on Friday nights and the smell lingers into Saturday morning. The school has a lot of drum and guitar students including adults (not to generalize by instrument, but I know they play in groups and have an "adult rock band.")

The smell is pretty strong and unpleasant, at least to me. I've tried to mention it to the violin teacher but she seems kind of oblivious (she is in her one teaching room most of the time and it doesn't really smell in there and she teaches elsewhere on other days).

Would it be out of line to say something to the owner? Is it possible that her teachers and/or students are getting high on her premises when she is not around and she is not aware of it? If so, she might want to know. Or do you think she knows and would be offended by my mentioning it? What would you want a parent to do if it were your music school? Say something or just leave if they don't like it?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
You don't say where you live, but in most locales, it's illegal. You should advise the owner that you're concerned, that this is a problem, especially for students with allergies, and you might mention that he's putting his school at risk, whether he's aware of it or not.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
In many locales, smoking inside public places at all is illegal. You might simply say that there's a smell of smoke in the premises which is bothering you, and leave it at that. Or you could take it on yourself to open a window.

I'm sure the owner has a nose, and the violin teacher. Surely, between them they have at least one.

"I've tried to mention it to the violin teacher..."

This is puzzling--- you either mentioned it, or you didn't.

Clef

T
T'sMom Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Jeff-- I mentioned it to her. She didn't react. It was the first day I noticed it and I wasn't 100% sure. Since then I am more certain. The violin teacher seems to come in, do her own thing, and not be involved in the school overall.

I do open windows when I come in. There is another set of parents who are usually there when we are there and I asked what they thought. They said they did smell something but were unfamiliar with the smell of MJ and didn't realize that's what it was (they didn't grow up in the US). They thought the garbage needed emptying smile

T
T'sMom Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef

I'm sure the owner has a nose

Right. Which makes me think she knows and must approve since it has now been multiple occasions. Maybe I am a party pooper. It's just not something I enjoy smelling for the duration of my daughter's lesson. It's unpredictable, not there every week. I'm concerned about insulting her (the owner).

Last edited by J&Smom; 12/13/09 05:48 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
You don't say where you live, but in most locales, it's illegal. You should advise the owner that you're concerned, that this is a problem, especially for students with allergies, and you might mention that he's putting his school at risk, whether he's aware of it or not.

Good advice.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I would just take my business elsewhere.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Of course, someone may just be wearing patchouli cologne which smells quite similar. I think this is a time to simply mind one's own business.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by -Frycek
Of course, someone may just be wearing patchouli cologne which smells quite similar. I think this is a time to simply mind one's own business.

Hmmm. Patchouli cologne, twenty-something musicians, weed smoke. It all makes sense!

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by eweiss
Originally Posted by -Frycek

Hmmm. Patchouli cologne, twenty-something musicians, weed smoke. It all makes sense!

Old hippie. Been there, done there, wore out the t-shirt.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
W
W
That's impossible. Musicians don't use reefers.
smile

Seriously, though, I don't know what it would achieve to make a fuss. If you're uncomfortable there, it's probably best to find another school.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Is her teacher a phenomenal instructor with whom she has made an indelible bond? If not, and this is just a first step into the music world, then start to look around for the next step.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Perhaps you could sit in at the keyboard with the adult rock band one Friday night and see if someone passes you a joint. smile

Or you could light up a stick of incense during your daughter's lesson to drown out the marijuana smell. grin

Or you could just mention to the owner that you are bothered by a strange marijuana-like smell in her building on some Saturday mornings. Could she investigate?

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Time for a visit to the "Glade" aisle in housewares in your grocery store for a plug in "helper" for odor removals. The latest is a pomegranate aroma.

Opening a few windows helps too.

The owner needs to know you've detected it, I think.

Betty

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
It must be the bass player...

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Mark...
It must be the bass player...

Better hope the drums don't stop!

gotta go practice
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
When it comes to non-criminal issues, I'm a great believer in MYOB.

The problem we confront here is that in the USA, there are many laws on the books which make you an accessory if you fail to report a crime. Because of this, the situation becomes murky, which is why I recommended bringing it to the attention of the owner, but not in an off-handed way, but straight forward, so that you've removed the monkey from your back.

"Well officer, I smelled an odor which was suspicious, but in this day and age, there are many incenses which have similar aromas, there is no way I could know one way or the other. I'm no expert, so I reported it to the owner. Since I didn't see any crime, I naturally had nothing to report to authorities."

Of course, another approach is to walk. Tell the owner that your allergies are really affected by whatever that "really unpleasant" odor is in the lesson room, and unless he cleans it up, you'll have to look elsewhere for lessons. This approach solves your problem, and if enough students follow suit, the owner will get the message.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
ah yes.. diplomacy.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I am one of those for whom odors can be a health issue. I have a sign posted in my studio about perfumes/aftershaves, etc., because inhaling them really does make it hard for me to breathe.

I see no problem mentioning something to the owner about the strange odors. It is a general health issue to many, if not yourself.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"Tell the owner that your allergies are really affected by whatever that "really unpleasant" odor is in the lesson room, and unless he cleans it up, you'll have to look elsewhere for lessons."

Nice solution--- it nails the problem without turning you into the police. It also takes care of having your kids in a place where smoking goes on.

Minniemay has a very good point about colognes and fragrances; many people are very sensitive to them, others find them offensive if bearable, and some teenagers (and others) don't seem to know when to quit. I've seen them drop people at twenty paces at the mall.

Anyway, poor ventilation is unhealthful, especially during cold and flu season. Odors can tip one off that the premises may not be as cleanly as they should be. A polite but to-the-point note or e-mail to the owner (something in writing) might get the job done.

Clef

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission