Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1325110 - 12/14/09 11:24 AM What do you think about yamaha CLP330?
HaiMM Offline

My 7 years old daughter has learned keyboard about 1.5 year. Her teacher said it's time to get a piano (or digital piano) for her. I am interested in one which is good not so expensive. The dealer said yamaha clp330 is good enough even when my daughter is experienced and I needn't upgrade it any more. What do you think about this piano? Is this one really good enough for a sophisticated player?

The dealer asked $2000 for rosewood and $2500 for Polished Ebony before tax. Do you think the price is good? Will the piano go with a bench?

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1325144 - 12/14/09 12:07 PM Re: What do you think about yamaha CLP330? [Re: HaiMM]
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
it's a good choice, but the price could be a little lower. you might want to go to different stores to check out the price.

#1325186 - 12/14/09 12:55 PM Re: What do you think about yamaha CLP330? [Re: signa]
PianoPeter73 Offline

Loc: Porto, Portugal
The CLP-340 actually may be a better choice, although the price is a lit bit higher. But in the long run I think it makes sense. Many in these forums consider it to be the "sweet spot" in the CLP range.

Here is a quick comparison:

CLP-330

- GH3 keboard
- 3-level sampling
- 14 voices
- 20W x2 amplifier

CLP-340

- GH3 keboard with synthetic ivory keys
- 4-level sampling
- Stereo sustain samples
- Dynamic damper effect
- Key-off sampling
- 14 x2 voices
- 40W x2 amplifier
- LAN connection

Hope this helps!

Best regards.

#1325212 - 12/14/09 01:26 PM Re: What do you think about yamaha CLP330? [Re: HaiMM]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: HaiMM
My 7 years old daughter has learned keyboard about 1.5 year. Her teacher said it's time to get a piano (or digital piano) for her. I am interested in one which is good not so expensive. The dealer said yamaha clp330 is good enough even when my daughter is experienced and I needn't upgrade it any more. What do you think about this piano? Is this one really good enough for a sophisticated player?

The dealer asked $2000 for rosewood and $2500 for Polished Ebony before tax. Do you think the price is good? Will the piano go with a bench?

If price is an issue the P155 is half the price. It has the very close to the same key action and slightly better sound. The discounted price of the P155 with it's matching stand is about $1K

The YDP223 is also worth looking at, it is also a Yamaha console style piano but is sold through mass market retailers who will go a little lower on the price. Retail is $1,600 but you can get 10% of just for asking and 20% off if you are wiling to enter a coupon code on a web site an have the piano shipped. The YDP223 is comparable with the entry level CLP.

I agree with the others. If you like the CLP line and the idea of buying from a local piano dealer then you should look at the next model up. But if the goal is to get the price down buy a YDP223 from a mass market retailer.

Any of the better DPs is good enough for anyone. The YDP223, any CLV and the P155 are all roughly the same level of quality as far as learning to play goes. Will you need to upgrade again? Likely yes. Not because your daughter outgrows the piano but because digital piano technology is moving so fast that in 5 to 8 years the new pianos will sound so much better that you will just want one.

The current line of Yamaha pianos is based on sampling technology but other manufactures are starting to use more modelling technology, some have gone completely this way. You don't have to care about details like this except to know that there is still a LOT of room for improvement and technology moves forward. A digital piano is NOT a lifetime investment. Think of it more like a computer, cell phone or digital camera

Edited by ChrisA (12/14/09 01:40 PM)

#1325483 - 12/14/09 06:53 PM Re: What do you think about yamaha CLP330? [Re: HaiMM]
jumbojoey Offline

I bought a 330 last December for 1875.00 (mahogany)
They probably have gone up some since then, however the dealer told me it listed for 2400.00 and I had no trouble getting him down to 1875 plus tax.
I looked at the 340 and it was gonna cost me about 5-6 hundred more. If I had it to do over again, I would probably go with the 340, but only because of a few more features. I am 3 years now self taught and the 330 has all I really need, just a simple well made piano.
I have no complaints with it, sounds good, however, its hard to compare it to another higher end model when its the only one Ive played except for a cheap Casio keyboard my wife bought 3 years ago. From the 100.00 Casio to the Clavinova was like comparing a rain drop to the Atlantic Ocean.
I personally think you will be pleased with either.
I really like my 330.
And Yes, a nice bench does come with Clavinovas and a 5 year warranty.

#1325795 - 12/15/09 09:06 AM Re: What do you think about yamaha CLP330? [Re: jumbojoey]
HaiMM Offline

Thank all of you for your suggestion. They are very useful! I think 330 or 340 is my choice. Just hope I can get a better price. :-))

#1326409 - 12/16/09 04:26 AM Re: What do you think about yamaha CLP330? [Re: HaiMM]
henrik Offline

Loc: malaysia
I'm a happy owner of 330. I've tried 320 and 340. The sounds in 320 is slightly thinner compared to 330, but if the 320 was significantly cheaper (330 was on sale here), i would have purchased it. so what I'm trying to say is, any of the 300 series are all so good !

320 would be a better choice for your 7-year old. then after few years (no matter which model you buy), u would have to eventually upgrade if she still likes piano.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
124 registered (accordeur, 36251, AmateurBob, 41 invisible), 1650 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75584 Members
42 Forums
156289 Topics
2295325 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Shostakovich and Prokofiev
by Verbum mirabilis
Today at 06:01 PM
Used piano buying choices
by BrianDX
Today at 05:55 PM
You & Your Piano
by DancerJ
Today at 05:12 PM
Fun etudes?
by chasingrainbows
Today at 04:41 PM
Music competitions are rife with corruption says JLWebber
by pianoloverus
Today at 02:51 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission