2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,164 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Huygens
Originally Posted by snazzyplayer
You forgot the Yamaha P-85 with stand and pedals, Huggens. Best bang for the buck out there...looks great as well.

Three pedal unit is optional, and fastens to the stand.

Highly recommended by most piano teachers.

I ... really ... left .. that .. out . on . purpose.

I'm really glad I mentioned it.

Now, Huggens, I'll promise not to use big words, if you promise to learn how to speak at a faster pace. wink

It will be a challenge for both of us, but I'm sure we'll manage. wink

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
H
H
(Quote is heavily trimmed bellow)

Originally Posted by Mariusz
The price for weighted keys start from around 650Euros

The better one DP's will have fully weighted keys and

Afterwords you could upgraded it to heavy weighted keys

I object to the use of the word weighted and the use of heavy & fully.

The purpose of DP keys are usually to resemble an acoustic grand as close as possible. There also exist acoustic grands with light keyboards.

Perhaps (?) the resemblance means that the keys are:

A. Progressively graded in weight.
B. Can mimic variations of resistance (and speed) similar to an acoustic throughout the key movement, both on its way down and up.
C. Possible give some kind of tactile (vibrations) response like an acoustic.

And the Korg SP250 has RH3 keys, they are quite... heavy. smile

P-85 cheap plastic imitation; not because of sound, but weight.
M
M
You forgot the Yamaha P-85 with stand and pedals, Huggens. Best bang for the buck out there...looks great as well.

I'd say Huygens' sig makes it amply clear that he loathes his own gear, i.e. the P-85. Which is pretty odd--why would he buy something if he doesn't like it? Just so he can go on Internet forums and rant against it?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Martin C. Doege

why would he buy something if he doesn't like it? Just so he can go on Internet forums and rant against it?

Martin, we must be sympathetic...some people, like our friend Huygens, have a hard time coping with rantlessness.

Problem is, the P-85 is so darn good, there is literally nothing to rant about, so it's bound to make him even more rantless.

Maybe he should have purchased a Casio?

Snazzy

M
M

Maybe he should have purchased a Casio?

And the PX-130 is $100 or so less than the P-85, so it really looks like complaining for the sake of complaining to me. He could go Casio and save money at the same time.

But perhaps he has listened to Gyro's advice and bought the instrument over the Web without auditioning it first? wink

H
H
But perhaps he has listened to Gyro's advice and bought the instrument over the Web without auditioning it first? wink

That's exactly what I did.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

So now you're bitter about it, and thus, the odd signature.

If I was to put down the name and model of every digital piano that disappointed me, I'd fill a whole thread, let alone a single post.

This here is a little bit of a gentle observation, but puttin' a signature like that in all your posts is just making you look bad.

You made the decision to buy without trying. The P-85 is just what it is, and clearly not of your taste.

So what?

It meets my needs, and those of a great many other players, both pro and amateur.

It just didn't meet yours.

It's not the piano's fault.

Snazzy

H
H

So now you're bitter about it, and thus, the odd signature.

Actually, I wanted my DP to be as light as possible so I could carry it around. There where some comments on my purchase of the P-85, as I initially had complained about the sound. So eventually I created my sig as an explanation, when someone would wonder.

Really, I think I'm getting used to the sound. It just doesn't sound a whole lot.

But I've heard that the DGX-630 has even weaker piano grand voices, so I'm not that bad off with my P-85. I would also give the DGX-630 some credit for its more than 500 synth voices, from which some people find a lot of enjoyment.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well, Huygens, we both know that the P-85 don't sound like a CFIII Concert Grand, or all the other companies would just have to pack up their tents, and start makin' vacuum cleaners. That would suck. wink

The sound in the P-85 is pleasant, and considering we're told it's only a one layer sample, it is pretty darn expressive too.

Like you, I wanted something light, and my limit for carrying is under 30 lbs. The P-85 did the trick, and I like the action a lot.

When they make a replacement for it. I'll probably get one, as it no doubt will be better, and the difference in price from old to new won't be much, and will literally cost me pennies a day over a few years.

Couldn't rent one that cheap.

Snazzy

M
M

Eep! Well, so much for Gyro's frequent and utterly bad advice being harmless! smile

But I would second Snazzy's comment, that you should sell the P-85 if you don't like it. At least right now it will still fetch a decent price (because the rest of world doesn't seem to hate it so much, based on its Amazon sales rank).

You could give it another try with the wooden stand (unless you are using it already), the sound should be much improved. But if you hate the touch of the P-85, buying the stand would be throwing good money after bad, so better get something else altogether! Such as a xylophone. As recommended by Gyro. Oh, wait! smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm curious to what kind of car Gyro drives.

Probably one of them there Smart(?) Cars.

I could fit one of them in the trunk of my '55 Cadillac.

Shucks, come to think of it, he'd only need one seat, one wiper, go and whoa pedals, and one working door.

Maybe he's got a scooter, or a Gyro-copter?

Snazzy

ps. Just funnin' with you, Gyro. wink

H
H
But I would second Snazzy's comment, that you should sell the P-85 if you don't like it. At least right now it will still fetch a decent price (because the rest of world doesn't seem to hate it so much, based on its Amazon sales rank).

You could give it another try with the wooden stand (unless you are using it already), the sound should be much improved. But if you hate the touch of the P-85, buying the stand would be throwing good money after bad, so better get something else altogether!

I don't hate it.

But I've been thinking of something similar with low weight, like the CDP-100 (only 11.5 kg), but the sideway stability of the keys on the CDP-100 stopped me. And the weak piano sound on the P-85 is almost ok, because I play in a resident building so I _have_ to keep the noise down. The Harpsichord 2 is even quite good, my third favorite voice on the P-85.

I only want more of everything; sound, key action, feeling, voices, effects and a modulation wheel. *just joking*

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission