Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1325506 - 12/14/09 07:37 PM Casio Px330 vs Yamaha MM8
champy Offline

Hi all, this is my first post. I am glad I found this forum. It seems to be very helpful for me as we all have common interests.

I would like to ask for opinions as I am deciding which keyboard to get. I am focusing on these two model.

Casio PX330
Yamaha MM8

I know that it might be strange to ask because the prices of these two are different. But I am living at the moment in Switzerland. Here, instruments' prices are sky high... (really high, I mean it). However, I am able a special offer for MM8 in the same price as I order PX330 from the states.

I have never tried both of them (and sadly, I don't think I will get to try) I have only tried MM6 and PX320. What I am looking for is a keyboard with GOOD weighted keys which I can practice on in my room. I expect to have a drum patterns inside (which both of them have. But I don't know if there are good.) Also I would like to do some jamming and gigs with this keyboard.

I looked at the presentation of MM6 in youtube. But they only show you synth- and electronic-drum sounds. Does it mean that MM8 is heading to those dance electronic-genre mainly? How is the piano and other acoustic sounds compared to PX330?

Here are my questions about these two model...
1. which of them has a better (more realistic) weighted keys?
2. which of them has a better and more realistic sounds (focus mainly on keys instrument- Piano EP Organ Clav- acoustic drum and bass)
3. Does PX330 has a modulation wheel? I didn't see one.
4. Are these 2 keyboard reliable? (I would like to check this especially on the Casio since I have to order a long way.)
5. Which one do you recommend?
6. Are there any alternatives?

My mind went for Yamaha at first because I don't know anyone who does music in a professional level using Casio. But everything change after I tried PX120 (can't remember the model exactly.) And I like it much better than Yamaha P85 ,which, in the shop I went, is in the same price range. So I learnt that I shouldn't judge a books from its cover.http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/images/icons/default/whistle.gif

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#1325698 - 12/15/09 01:10 AM Re: Casio Px330 vs Yamaha MM8 [Re: champy]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
Champy,
I guess the first question that needs to be asked is do you want a synth or a digital piano? The MM8 is more like a synth. It has some motif like sounds, but it is really more of a PSR keyboard than a digital paino. It is an MM6 with 88 keys that are weighted, however it uses the cheapest action Yamaha makes which is GHS. It's on the light side in my opinion.
The PX-330 is a Digital piano and it's bread and butter is the piano sample. It does have other sounds but it is less like a synth. You mentioned that you are familiar with the PX-320 so you pretty much know what the 330 is. The 330 is more refined in the keyboard action and piano sample. It has a digital display instead of the LED display the PX-320 had, and it also has a pitch bend wheel. It's not a mod wheel. The MM8 does have one of those. You need to decide if you want a digital piano (Casio) or a synth (Yamaha).

#1325748 - 12/15/09 05:50 AM Re: Casio Px330 vs Yamaha MM8 [Re: champy]
Huygens Offline

Loc: Sweden
Originally Posted By: champy
I am focusing on these two model.

Casio PX330
Yamaha MM8

Here are my questions about these two model...
1. which of them has a better (more realistic) weighted keys?
The Casio.
2. which of them has a better and more realistic sounds (focus mainly on keys instrument- Piano EP Organ Clav- acoustic drum and bass)
The Casio. (The Yamaha has poor polyphony too, only 32 notes.) But you have to compare yourself, as this is a matter of taste.
3. Does PX330 has a modulation wheel? I didn't see one.
I'm a little unsure about this one, does the MM8 have a modulation wheel? The PX-330 has a pitch bend wheel in range 0 - 12 semitones, but I assume you want a wheel that stays in place?
4. Are these 2 keyboard reliable? (I would like to check this especially on the Casio since I have to order a long way.)
Yes, but the PX-330 has had reports of keys being depressed on delivery.
5. Which one do you recommend?
This one must be your choice.
6. Are there any alternatives?
An inexpensive DP with weighted keys and modulation wheel? I think most alternatives are expensive or only has the modulation/transpose/transposition set by the LCD screen by +/- buttons. My guess is that the modulation can be controlled by manual stepping buttons on those DPs, but it must be frustrating not being able to adjust it in an instance, so no, I guess not even the Yamaha CVP series have modulation wheels (please correct me if I'm wrong).

See for example the Yamaha CVP-509 Reference Manual page 8 <- click link.
Or the manual of the Roland KR117M-R (link), page 102.

#1325749 - 12/15/09 06:05 AM Re: Casio Px330 vs Yamaha MM8 [Re: Huygens]
champy Offline

Regarding to the delivery of PX-330, are there anyway I can make sure that the unit will be fine and has no problem? It would be sad if I have it shipped all the way from US and find it broken.

#1325758 - 12/15/09 06:40 AM Re: Casio Px330 vs Yamaha MM8 [Re: champy]
Huygens Offline

Loc: Sweden
You should be able to buy something from Germany? To avoid taxes & high transportation costs I mean.
Look at Thomann, the german music-IKEA <- link. Seems Casio PX-330 sells at 850 €. Or from british Bonner at £600.

Then you have the Kurzweil PC3X and the Kurzweil SP3X with modulation wheel, but no speakers.

The SP3X is about 1200 € on Thomann, but you should probably be able to get lower (-200 €?) prices elsewhere.

See also Clavia Nord EX <- link, but the price is high, probably 2500 €. Very good quality though.

#1325863 - 12/15/09 11:05 AM Re: Casio Px330 vs Yamaha MM8 [Re: Huygens]
Sean M. Offline

Just out of curiosity, I took a look at pricing:

In the US, from www.music123.com:

PX-330: $699.99
"Estimated shipping" to Germany: $123.32

From thomann.de
PX-330: €819 ($1198)

I guess whether it's worth it or not depends on how much import tax you'd be charged to ship it to Germany, and how much extra you might have to pay to ship it insured.

If you knew someone flying from the US to Germany in the near future, maybe it'd be a good idea to ask them to pick it up for you, open the box to remove any plastic wrap to make it look like they brought it with them (and didn't buy it in the US), and have them pay extra for the "oversized baggage" with the airline. An advantage then is that with the airline it's automatically insured (according to the Montreal convention, up to about $1000) so if the baggage handlers really beat the @#$@#$ out of it the airline should pay for it.

#1326051 - 12/15/09 04:31 PM Re: Casio Px330 vs Yamaha MM8 [Re: Sean M.]
champy Offline

Thanks... I think I will probably buy from US store online. Regarding to having someone to pick it up, how much do I have to pay for "oversize baggage"? I have heard that I can be very expensive... like over 100$ am I right?

Also I would like to ask if I will need an adapter to change from 110V to 220V?

#1326054 - 12/15/09 04:34 PM Re: Casio Px330 vs Yamaha MM8 [Re: Huygens]
champy Offline

I asked my german friend. He said we still need to pay tax even if we make a trip to Germany and buy the unit. We will have to pay at the boarder. frown

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
136 registered (accordeur, anamnesis, aesop, Alex-SapRenovation, 36 invisible), 1241 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75971 Members
42 Forums
157108 Topics
2307340 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai MP7 - hidden gem
by Kevin Keys
26 minutes 13 seconds ago
Paying to be a vendor
by Bob
Today at 08:39 AM
Does it get easier?
by Pover
Today at 07:10 AM
Correct fingering
by johan d
Today at 06:50 AM
An update on Ethan Hawke's docu about Seymour Bernstein
by music32
Today at 04:36 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission