Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#665792 - 02/05/09 04:04 AM Behringer
bossie Offline

Loc: Singapore
Hi,

Recently I came across digital piano "Behringer".

Could anyone share any experiences with this digital piano:
Behringer Eurogrand EG8180-BK (grand) or Eurogrand EG2180-BK (upright)

How is compared to Yamaha Digital piano such as CVP 300 series, eg CVP 309?

Thanks.
Bossie

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#665793 - 02/05/09 08:43 AM Re: Behringer
Horwinkle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I found the EG8180BK "grand" on line at:
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/EG8180-BK.aspx

I downloaded the manual ... and found that the controls seemed familiar. They're quite similar to the Yamaha Clavinovas. Indeed, the "function" setup codes are the same as Yamaha!

Conclusion: I think the Behringer is a relabeled Yamaha Clavinova. Based on the specs, I'm guessing Yamaha CLP-265GP.

As for the EG2180-BK "console" ... it "shares" the same owner's manual. So it must be a clone of the CLP-230.

Opinions anyone?

#665794 - 02/05/09 08:56 AM Re: Behringer
heavypiano Offline

All of the Behringer gear I've used or owned has had serious quality issues. I would stay away from this brand.

#665795 - 02/05/09 11:34 AM Re: Behringer
Richard Stark Offline

Loc: Hälsingland, Sweden
\:\)

#665796 - 02/05/09 01:03 PM Re: Behringer
Richard Stark Offline

Loc: Hälsingland, Sweden
\:\)

#665797 - 02/05/09 03:40 PM Re: Behringer
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denton Texas
I think Behringer outsources their manufacturing to China, so I don't think it is a rebranded Yamaha. I have my doubts that Yamaha would engage in such business practices. However, it could be a "clone", where product is designed to look like something much more popular and acclaimed. They "cloned" a type of stage light called the ETC Source Four Par (which is a high quality instrument selling for about $150) and sold it for $99 while cutting corners in materials and quality control. Many users have been frustrated with it and a lot of their other audio/lighting gear.

In conclusion, avoid clones.

#665798 - 02/05/09 04:49 PM Re: Behringer
Gyro Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Behringer is an established brand that has
a reputation for offering satisfactory
music gear at economical prices. This
piano should be along the same lines,
a satisfactory digital piano at a bargain price.

#665799 - 02/05/09 07:12 PM Re: Behringer
Horwinkle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gyro:
a satisfactory digital piano at a bargain price. [/b]
MUNGE! THORP!

I saw the upright model online at a web site in Norway for $1,110. Are you really recommending someone spend nearly twice as much as you normally recommend? OUTRAGEOUS!

I also saw it on a French web site for only $900. Still well above your recommended Williams Encore.

You should be recommending more economical stuff! Get with it!
\:\) \:\) \:\)

#665800 - 02/12/09 03:04 PM Re: Behringer
Horwinkle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LesCharles73:
I think Behringer outsources their manufacturing to China, so I don't think it is a rebranded Yamaha.[/b]
I don't know where Behringer speakers are made. But many other speaker manufacturers have outsourced to China. (I read about that on a different forum while searching for speakers.) So I'd not be surprised to hear that Behringer has done so.
 Quote:
I have my doubts that Yamaha would engage in such business practices.[/b]
Perhaps Yamaha licensed the rights to Behringer? The outward appearance of the unit in question is different from any Yamaha I've seen, but the function codes (set in the software) are the same. So the software must be Yamaha's.

#665801 - 02/12/09 03:26 PM Re: Behringer
Bob Newbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

a big thumbs down! 64 poly..

#665802 - 02/12/09 03:27 PM Re: Behringer
bobbo Offline

Looks like a cheap made in china...generic digital piano in a grand case. I wouldn't touch this.

Quote:
Bwahahahahaha

#665803 - 02/12/09 05:41 PM Re: Behringer
crusadar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Middle England
As with all piano's never buy before you try, whether it's a piano made by one of the big name makers or an "el cheapo" brand, if you play an "el cheapo" and your happy with it OK. I was told a lot of the cheaper end brands were either cloned or re-badged obsolete Roland pianos.

#665804 - 02/12/09 06:21 PM Re: Behringer
bitWrangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Central TX
 Quote:
Originally posted by bobbo:
Looks like a cheap made in china...generic digital piano in a grand case. I wouldn't touch this.

Quote:
Bwahahahahaha [/b]
So LHorwinkle says that it's a rebadged Yammie and he's politely disagreed with and gyro says that it's a "satisfactory" digital piano and he's laughed at by those who've never even tried one? Whose statement would be more misleading if taken at face value? Not to pick on you L Horwinkle, you did end your post by asking for opinions and I guess that's what folks key off of when deciding on the tenor of their reply. Also doesn't seem cool to then poke fun at him after your "wild assertion" (though, like gyros statements sometimes, there might be at least some truth to your conclusion based on your observation).

crusader gives the most relevant advice. It _may_ be satisfactory depending on your needs/budget, try it if you can. If you can't, understand that it's a lesser known brand (in the world of DP's) and so there will be a higher risk of not getting your monies worth even at a fairly low retail price based on the companies track record with other products.

#665805 - 02/12/09 06:46 PM Re: Behringer
crusadar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Middle England
There are Motorcycles made in China which are blatant copies, clones, stencilled, re-badged, whatever, of obsolete Honda motorcycles, possibly made with Honda's consent, so it goes on, perhaps with digital pianos too.

-

#665806 - 02/13/09 09:20 AM Re: Behringer
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by crusadar:
There are Motorcycles made in China which are blatant copies, clones, stencilled, re-badged, whatever, of obsolete Honda motorcycles, possibly made with Honda's consent, so it goes on, perhaps with digital pianos too.

- [/b]
I'm not sure if Chinese patent laws require them to get consent. It may be legal there to do what we would certainly consider patent infringement or even theft.

There are a number of examples like airguns where chinese products were initially pretty bad, because having a fine German or British design only gets you part way. You still need the engineering expertise and quality control to execute the design. And in most cases, the quality ramps up pretty quickly. I wouldn't buy a first generation chinese product but they can be a real value after the learning curve.

#665807 - 02/15/09 04:58 PM Re: Behringer
gryphon Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Okemos, MI
 Quote:
Originally posted by bitWrangler:
gyro says that it's a "satisfactory" digital piano and he's laughed at by those who've never even tried one? [/b]
I think the "hahaha" was aimed at the statement that Behringer has a reputation for offering satisfactory music gear. ;\) The general consensus is to spend a couple more dollars and stay away from anything Behringer.

#665808 - 02/15/09 09:57 PM Re: Behringer
Horwinkle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gryphon:
... Behringer has a reputation for offering satisfactory music gear. ;\) The general consensus is to spend a couple more dollars and stay away from anything Behringer.[/b]
I hear you. I was looking for studio monitors and came upon some recommendations for Behringer. Then I found reviews claiming that the model in question picks up radio interference. IIRC, three of the ten reviews cited that complaint.

So you think you're buying a pair of monitors? They're really radios, whether you like it or not! And, apparently, if you buy it, you're stuck with it. No fixes available.

But how could that possibly be??? I have it on **GOOD AUTHORITY** that:

. . . Behringer is an established
. . . brand that has a reputation
. . . for offering satisfactory
. . . music gear at economical
. . . prices.

Lucky for me ... I didn't buy.
\:\) \:D \:\) \:D

#665809 - 02/16/09 08:35 AM Re: Behringer
gryphon Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Okemos, MI
Their inexpensive mixers are noisy, too.

#1326079 - 12/15/09 05:11 PM Re: Behringer [Re: gryphon]
ptnaidu Offline

Guys,

I am trying more than one thread here, so please bear with me if you see it elsewhere.

I am new here and I can't find much on Behringer 2180? that Costco is selling for $750+tax including bench. I am torn between this Behringer model and Casio Px330. I do see a lot of good info on Casio, but when I add the accessories such as CS-67 (stand), SP32 (pedals) and a decent bench, I am looking at about $700+tax at Guitar Center (after a 15% price match).

I am buying it for my 9 year old daughter to start with, but I am hoping my two other little boys will use it later as well. So I do care for long term reliability in this budget range. Since it is for kids, I would like all the bells & whistles these two models have to offer. It is her Christmas gift.

Any thoughts or recommendations for me?

Thanks.

#1326094 - 12/15/09 05:35 PM Re: Behringer [Re: ptnaidu]
snazzyplayer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Earth
My experience with Behringer products has been limited to mixers, amplifiers and other audio gear.

They generally have a lot of features for the money, but two rather important ones are missing...reliability, and durability.

My opinion...stay away from it.

If you must choose, then buy the Casio.

Snazzy

#1326101 - 12/15/09 05:42 PM Re: Behringer [Re: ptnaidu]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: ptnaidu
Guys,

I am trying more than one thread here, so please bear with me if you see it elsewhere.

I am new here and I can't find much on Behringer 2180? that Costco is selling for $750+tax including bench. I am torn between this Behringer model and Casio Px330. I do see a lot of good info on Casio, but when I add the accessories such as CS-67 (stand), SP32 (pedals) and a decent bench, I am looking at about $700+tax at Guitar Center (after a 15% price match).

I am buying it for my 9 year old daughter to start with, but I am hoping my two other little boys will use it later as well. So I do care for long term reliability in this budget range. Since it is for kids, I would like all the bells & whistles these two models have to offer. It is her Christmas gift.

Any thoughts or recommendations for me?

Thanks.

I've got some Behringer microphones, a cheap mixer, a reverb unit, multi-effects unit, crossover, and a eq. The reverb is amazing, the mics good AFAIKT, the other stuff works like it should. Behringer is rather notorious for copying other designs and selling really cheap. In some ways you get what you pay for, sometimes you get more. Not sure if they are really up to doing a DP, but they manage to make other things OK, and honestly, it's hard to imagine anyone screwing up DPs any harder than the big players are doing.

That said, I haven't seen one, but the Behringer DP sounds like something to avoid.

I can't say I'd recommend the Casio PX-330 either, the keys feel "springier" than a Yamaha and the mechanism may not prove to be as robust. The piano sample is just OK, and the other samples are really poor. The cathedral organ in particular sounds like it was recorded inside of a tin can - completely useless.

Go for the best hammer-action and the best piano sample you can afford, avoid everything else as you will pay too dearly for it. If you can't afford the Yamaha P-155, try a Yamaha P-85. Add a Quik-Lok W550 stand, and a Quik-Lok BZ-7 bench. Avoid X stands (no leg room). Get 20% off & free shipping on all of it at www.music123.com.

You might also scour Craig's list for a real piano. You'll have the move & upkeep costs to deal with, but it's the real deal. Often people give them away free or for little money, my wife runs across free ones all the time.

#1326131 - 12/15/09 06:36 PM Re: Behringer [Re: LesCharles73]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: LesCharles73
I think Behringer outsources their manufacturing to China, so I don't think it is a rebranded Yamaha. I have my doubts that Yamaha would engage in such business practices. However, it could be a "clone", where product is designed to look like something much more popular and acclaimed.

This is Behringer's business model. They do it all the time. They make things that look very much like a popular items and work just the same but sell at half the price.

Behringer's audio mixers look just like Mackie mixers but lack some of the quality. I actually bought one. Works well but the sound is not "pro quality" I would never use the mixer for recording but All I wanted was to mix a iPod into my headphone mix. For that it was overkill.

I'd buy Behringer brand if I had an un-demanding application or if I only needed something for occasional non-critical use, like inserting an iPod in a headphone feed. I tried recording with the mixer but the background hiss was unacceptable. The mic preamps were no up to the task.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
120 registered (AimeeO, a-z0-9, AmateurBob, AndresD, 29 invisible), 1606 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75509 Members
42 Forums
156143 Topics
2293018 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How struts define pitch variation between tunings
by Bosendorff
12 minutes 22 seconds ago
Pianist Noah Landis - Lowell, MA Sept. 6th
by Piano World
Today at 06:09 PM
Guidance for Publishing
by Dachshund
Today at 06:02 PM
Keith Emerson Playing NY in October!
by Piano World
Today at 05:52 PM
Action parts any different from 80s,90s, 2k Charles Walter?
by Gatsbee13
Today at 04:36 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission