2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (APianistHasNoName, Bruce Sato, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
MarkL Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by setchman
I've downloaded a lot of plugins but somehow I missed that one. I'll have to download it myself and give it a try. There are so many little gems like that scattered throughout the Internet it's hard to keep track of them all.

If you try it let me know how it compares to others, it's the only one I've tried. I must be doing something wrong because there is a range of voices from individual strings up to full orchestral strings, and the orchestral strings don't sound nearly as full or high quality as say the cello by itself.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
S
S
I finally got around to playing with DSK Strings and considering that it's free, it's not that bad. Some detailed documentation would be helpful but it seems to have enough settings to get half-way decent sounds from it if you're willing to spend time making the necessary adjustments.

The only thing that you'll find that will sound better is a commercial product like Garritan or ikmultimedia's philharmonik. You can add various effects to DSK Strings and get a better sound but it just takes a lot of experimenting.

I have created a few simple videos on using VSTHost but I've just been too busy to get everything cleaned up and posted. They're pretty basic but they still may be helpful to someone who's never used the program and who's just getting started with virtual instruments. Hopefully, I can get them posted soon.

Yamaha U3 SH2
Roland RD-800
M
MarkL Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
M
Thanks, the videos would be a help for those who follow in your footsteps.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
S
S
I finally got some videos up on my website. If you have already been using VSTHost for a while I doubt there will be anything new there but hopefully they can provide some useful information to those who are getting started with virtual instruments and vst plugins. With the exception of TruePianos, everything else I use and reference in the videos is freeware so that should help those who just want to experiment.

This is my first shot at making videos to "educate" others (if you can call it that) so if anyone sees ways to make them better or more informative, I'd appreciate the feedback. Here's the link:

http://blackgrand.com/vsthost

Last edited by setchman; 12/16/09 05:32 PM.

Yamaha U3 SH2
Roland RD-800
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission