Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1326673 - 12/16/09 01:50 PM Band in a Box and Clavinova CLP-340
total-amateur Offline

Hello everyone!
I'm a new guy here. First, thanks a lot for the wealth of information I got from this forum!

Somewhere here I read about Band in a Box soft which can/should be used with CLP "in lieu of" CVP.

Next week I will be a proud owner of Clavinova CLP-340 and I'm just wondering what that soft does. A note - I'm a beginner piano player; I'm not looking to substitute real lessons with any soft, I'm just curious. :-)

Thank you for your opinions and happy holidays!
Yuri

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#1326757 - 12/16/09 03:30 PM Re: Band in a Box and Clavinova CLP-340 [Re: total-amateur]
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The 340 will replay simple MIDI files. Its circuitry does not include drum and rythm kits needed to play back full orchestrations. Only the CLP380 or all the CVPs will do this.

#1326789 - 12/16/09 04:01 PM Re: Band in a Box and Clavinova CLP-340 [Re: total-amateur]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: total-amateur
I'm just wondering what that soft does. A note - I'm a beginner piano player; I'm not looking to substitute real lessons with any soft, I'm just curious.

The software works in two ways. One is in real-time as you play it will play an accompaniment. This is great for an intermediate player but as a raw beginner you will NOT be able to play in time with a synthetic drum and bass part. But when you develop enough skill to play in time with a metronome then it might be fun to play with a drum and bass loop.

The other thing the software does is play a backing track where you control the cord progression with your left hand. For example you play a Dm chord and then the "band" will improvidse over the note in the D minor chord until you play the next cord. But you must keep time with e "band".

The other way the software works requires zero skill. It will write backing parts for you based on some music you type in. Say you rite a melody line or a chord progression. then you pick a style like "Polka" or "Rock" and then the software will improvise prts for en entire band using your chords and style.

You can also design you own styles.

The best use of this off-line mode of the software is for background music for home videos or DVD slide shows. It allows a semi-skilled wanta-be film score writter (like me) to make music that fits the timing of the video. Of course the result sound like a "band in a box" that is OK if the music is just incidental to the show and not the main product.

OK one more use. I did the above, trying to write my own music to back a DVD slide show but I found I basically "suck" as a composer. So I ripped off a dead guy. I figure Mr. Beethoven would not care to much if I stuff some of his theams into band in a box and have the software improvise pop band parts over bits of his melodies. Just give credit. Classical musicians would need to be issued barf bags but the general public will never recognise the source. And again the pictures are the main show.

#1326805 - 12/16/09 04:20 PM Re: Band in a Box and Clavinova CLP-340 [Re: ChrisA]
snazzyplayer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Earth

Band in a Box will not play accompaniment in real time.

You have to pick a style (accompaniment) and then record the chord progression a bar at time, and then it will play back as a song.

You can store the song (or background) and use it again.

The chords are generally typed in on your PC keyboard.

The program comes with a bunch of pre-recorded progressions, called a Fake Book.

But, it does not work like the real time accompaniment in a CVP, or Roland KR.

Snazzy

#1326811 - 12/16/09 04:28 PM Re: Band in a Box and Clavinova CLP-340 [Re: snazzyplayer]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: snazzyplayer

Band in a Box will not play accompaniment in real time.

You have to pick a style (accompaniment) and then record the chord progression a bar at time, and then it will play back as a song.

Sorry if this is true. I've been trying out two different programs. I think I might have blurred them together. The names are close.

Take a look at this
http://www.1manband.nl/omb/index.htm

#1326823 - 12/16/09 04:49 PM Re: Band in a Box and Clavinova CLP-340 [Re: ChrisA]
snazzyplayer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Earth
Easy to get them mixed up Chris. I know Band in a Box, 'cause Zeke has it on his PC.

The One Man Band program, by Joe Maas, has been around for quite a while, and uses Yamaha PSR-type styles...it will play in real time.

It converts any PC- or MIDI-keyboard into an arranger keyboard. It also includes a most comprehensive style editor.

http://www.1manband.nl/omb.htm

Presently, I use a Yamaha PSR-S910 when I'm too lazy to multi-track a song in the studio. Works great.

Did you know that Nashville Music Row uses Yamaha PSR arranger workstations for their writers when they brainstorm?

Melissa Manchester, Martina McBride, David Paich (Toto) , David Bryant (Bon Jovi) and others, that I am sure that you know, use Yamaha arrangers as writing tools (these are a few that I know of).

Auto Accompaniment has come a long way since the boom ticky ticky boom ticky tick systems of many years years ago.

Snazzy

#1326837 - 12/16/09 05:02 PM Re: Band in a Box and Clavinova CLP-340 [Re: snazzyplayer]
total-amateur Offline

Wow, guys, thanks. I now have some idea what it is used for and I will sure check out One Man Band.

Yuri

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
First time digital piano buyer
by Frames
10/25/14 10:58 PM
Yamaha U3 - How old is too old?
by Yekul
10/25/14 09:53 PM
Digital Vs. Acoustic is apples and oranges so far
by harpon
10/25/14 08:40 PM
the sound of unrestored Erards
by Michael Sayers
10/25/14 08:34 PM
how best to match natural mahogany on plain wood case parts
by msks
10/25/14 08:26 PM
Who's Online
116 registered (Abby Pianoman, accordeur, Anne'sson, anamnesis, 36 invisible), 1294 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76656 Members
42 Forums
158499 Topics
2327660 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission