Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1327249 - 12/17/09 05:14 AM Yamaha DGX 630 Review
Viktor Engström Offline

Loc: Sweden
Greetings fellow members of this forum!

I just discovered and later joined this forum yesterday and I must say that most questions that I have had in my mind for a while have already been close to completely solved!

I will get to the point though; does anyone have a keyboard branded Yamaha DGX 630 and is able to make a small review on it; pro's and con's?
I was at the close-to-local store the other day and fell completely for that keyboard, but I have not yet bought it.

It is within my range of money; about 835 euros, and it has what I were looking for the most; 88 keys, weighted such and a focus on a normal piano, with a humble addition of extra functions like different sounds.

My knowledge of different words and names of parts of the piano is limited, if someone of you were to post a response to this, maybe a small explanation of the most extravagant words would be doable?

A thousand thanks in advance!

Viktor Engström, newcomer

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1327255 - 12/17/09 05:30 AM Re: Yamaha DGX 630 Review [Re: Viktor Engström]
Martin C. Doege Offline

Loc: Hamburg, Germany
Here's a pertinent post from the archives (the DGX is called YPG in the US):

Originally Posted By: Nikalette
I know nothing of Korg. I'm happy with my YPG 635. The appearance you'll either love or hate, it's called cherry fake wood but it's really blond and then silver. Doesn't look anything like most pianos, but the stand is included and it matches.

The controls are super easy and intuitive but they're very visible. I have had no problems with the speakers, but it is much quieter than say the Casio.

I'm always hearing how it's the bottom of the line Yamaha action, but when I tried the P155 I didn't think the difference was big enough to warrant the cost. It's not a great responsive action like the Roland V or the CVP line from Yamaha, but it's better than most older acoustic uprights and as good as the Korg and Casios which I tried. I didn't like the Korg at all. I thought the P85 was pretty nice for the price, but I think it's action is the same as the YPG and you get much more with the YPG. Maybe you don't want all the bells and whistles, but it's nice ot have a multi-track recorder, and a bunch of really good sounding voices. I really like some of the organ voices, and the strings, etc....

I think if those are your 3 choices, the YPG is the best. You get a lot for your money, but it's not an overload on the number of voices.

Check out the reviews by purchasers on Amazon and on some of the online sellers.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1286153/

#1327265 - 12/17/09 06:51 AM Re: Yamaha DGX 630 Review [Re: Martin C. Doege]
Viktor Engström Offline

Ah thank you Martin! I have read some reviews from other sites and the main problem with the DGX/YPB 630/635 seems to be the speakers which has a relatively bad sound when playing at higher volumes. But apparently one is able to insert external speakers/headphones which accepts higher volumes.

Since I have external speakers lying around somewhere here, I think I will get me that keyboard. Unless anyone else have experienced a problem which I must have missed?

#1327295 - 12/17/09 08:26 AM Re: Yamaha DGX 630 Review [Re: Viktor Engström]
oudeis Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
I have this model, with the optional 3 pedal unit as shown in the picture. I almost exclusively use Live! Piano, the main voice, and even though it's nothing like my teacher's acoustic, I think the sound is quite acceptable. I haven't compared it with other digital piano's yet.

For me, the volume is more than loud enough at 3/4 of max volume, and I think that is the sweet spot. I feel that the audio starts to distort a bit when playing louder, and at lower volume the sounds is lacking something. Note that I live in quite a small and noisy apartment, so I can't really play any louder (and I usually play with headphones).

I am not happy with the pedal unit: the motion range is way too small compared with my teachers' acoustic piano. They also look and feel like plastic (which they obviously are smile ), and when lifting the pedal I can hear the springs inside it.

The touch is OK. In hindsight I would have liked a slightly heavier action, so the transition to my teachers' piano would have been easier. Anyway, I can live with it.

Another minor issue is that the DGX630 does not have a separate line out, it only has a headphone out connector. If you attach external speakers you have to connect them to the headphone out, and use the volume control to create an appropriate line-out level. I have never done this, but this might be a bit tricky (but with a bit of trial and error you'll probably get satisfactory results).

#1327323 - 12/17/09 09:21 AM Re: Yamaha DGX 630 Review [Re: Viktor Engström]
Martin C. Doege Offline

Loc: Hamburg, Germany
Viktor, if you want to use external speakers, perhaps you should have them hooked up in the store to make sure there are no noise or distortion issues with the particular digital piano/speaker combination.

#1327474 - 12/17/09 12:51 PM Re: Yamaha DGX 630 Review [Re: Viktor Engström]
Huygens Offline

I think the DGX-630 is fair for its price, even if the sound can be a little weak. A few persons on the forum have said the piano voices are not as good as on other (more expensive/specialized) DPs. You should play and listen for yourself for a while in shop.

Also pay attention to the keyboard as some of the black (?) keys might have the same problem as the P-85, the (black) keys might not be perfectly graded, rather one key out of 15-20 can be a little softer or off in grade.

The upper bass notes will probably be poor, but it's mostly the fault of the weak speakers.

#1327606 - 12/17/09 03:59 PM Re: Yamaha DGX 630 Review [Re: Viktor Engström]
7even Offline

Originally Posted By: Viktor Engström
Ah thank you Martin! I have read some reviews from other sites and the main problem with the DGX/YPB 630/635 seems to be the speakers which has a relatively bad sound when playing at higher volumes. But apparently one is able to insert external speakers/headphones which accepts higher volumes.

Since I have external speakers lying around somewhere here, I think I will get me that keyboard. Unless anyone else have experienced a problem which I must have missed?

Watch out for the hiss. I'm not sure if it's just my unit or the fact that it's cheaply made, but you can hear a hiss when you play with headphones or when you hook it up to external speakers. My other older and even cheaper Yamaha does the same thing.

Also, it's not just the weak speakers; I think the actual samples are so-so. The samples are only 1-level and highly compressed I'm sure, so playing forte and louder sounds too digital to resemble hammers hitting strings. Finally, even with the sustain pedal pressed down, all sound decays within about 5-6 seconds which seems short compared to the Yamaha uprights I've played.

I'm not sure how the non-piano sounds would help you either; they sound good initially but then you realize they also sound very digital and compressed.

Basically, don't listen too closely and you will be happy :p

Edited by 7even (12/17/09 04:00 PM)

#1328042 - 12/18/09 03:05 AM Re: Yamaha DGX 630 Review [Re: 7even]
trolls99 Offline

Loc: Germany
I have repeatdely tried the DGX630 and I do not like very much. The keyboard feels not very authentic and the piano sound is based on only one sample per key and to me sounds very synthetic. If your main objective is the piano, this may not be the best choice.

#1328103 - 12/18/09 07:36 AM Re: Yamaha DGX 630 Review [Re: Viktor Engström]
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Hi, that is the keyboard I purchased, although in the US it is the YPG 635 - same keyboard.

I'm happy with it. It has built in educational features, loads of voices which are very good, if you buy the upgraded pedals they're also good, altho' mine were a bit sticky, I fiddled with them and they're okay now.

It's not very portable, other than being able to move it around the house pretty easily. The volume is also kind of limited, if you don't play with headphones and you want it really loud, it just doesn't get that loud.

It's practice/educational features are not as complete as some of the Casios, which have phrase by phrase practice, but the sounds are a lot better.

It's a great keyboard for the price...the piano sound is good, but the plus for me and the deciding factors were the price, the other features and the quality of the other voices.

#1328565 - 12/18/09 06:06 PM Re: Yamaha DGX 630 Review [Re: Nikalette]
Viktor Engström Offline

Thanks for all the replies and tips! The keyboard was hereby bought today for the price of approximately 835 euros. I find the piano great, though I really cannot compare with other brands as I have only really played/experienced this one. I will from now on play on this piano and finally be able to learn songs on a piano which isn't out of tune (like our old large acoustic grand piano) or too small (like our old 61 keyboard). Hopefully I will learn a thing or two, the learning functions of the piano could be useful but I will keep to using my ear.

Once more, thanks for all the help!

#1330031 - 12/20/09 05:08 PM Re: Yamaha DGX 630 Review [Re: Viktor Engström]
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Congratulations!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
128 registered (36251, accordeur, AndresD, ando, 43 invisible), 1561 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75498 Members
42 Forums
156123 Topics
2292633 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Halloween Fantasy
by Axtremus
25 minutes 16 seconds ago
Visited Yamaha's Flagship Store Today
by biasa199
28 minutes 13 seconds ago
Tag!
by Axtremus
28 minutes 45 seconds ago
Things are not working out for me
by Teodor
36 minutes 23 seconds ago
UVI has a sale on 5 grand piano sounds
by Morodiene
50 minutes 18 seconds ago
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission