Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1327068 - 12/16/09 10:10 PM adult re-learning on a budget
pandamonium Offline

I took a couple of years of private lessons about 15 years ago. I was okay, but the dedication wasn't there so I didn't practice more than a few hours a week. I had an acoustic upright at home and played on an acoustic grand at my teacher's house.

I'm now interested in learning for myself instead of for my parents/family. The problems are that I live in a small apartment, I'll be moving at least twice in the next 7 years, and I have an unrealistically low budget. I tentatively set a limit of $400, but I'm willing to budge if its worthwhile. I have a hard limit of $1000. So that range doesn't do much for narrowing down my options. I want to learn a bit of classical, but honestly, the fun for me will be playing Beatles tunes and The Doobie Brothers - China Grove. (China Grove has been stuck in my head for the past two months...)

Since it's been so long, I doubt that I'll be able to really remember the feel of the keys. I really only want something that will tide me over until I have the space, stability, and finances to buy an acoustic grand. I don't care for the sound because I'll probably be connected to my computer or wearing headphones. Besides, the samples would have to be *really* bad for me to care at my level of practice. So here's what I care about: keys that play like an acoustic (grand or upright, doesn't matter to me), portability, and weight (lighter is better). I did the measuring, and if I put the keyboard on my computer desk keyboard tray, the keys will be pretty much at the right height (give or take half an inch).

So here's what I've been able to glean from these forums, google, and manufacturer websites. Please let me know if I'm glossing over stuff.

Casio:
I should be able to pick up a PX-130 for around $400-$450, so it's within my target price range. The PX-130 seems to have the same mechanism as its pricier PX-330 cousin, and I consider the PX-130 a "no-frills" variant of the PX-330. Some say Casio sampling is bad; I probably won't mind. What concerns me is that many people say the key action degrades after a few months, and Casio doesn't do much in the way of repairs/servicing. For these reasons, if I get a Casio, it'll be the PX-130.

Yamaha:
The P85 is pushing my comfort zone for price. I think I'll be able to track one down for about $600 after cash back. It seems like Yamaha takes care of its customers, the sampling should be better than any of the Casios, and the key action is supposedly a little better. (GHS I believe) I'm not sure that this is worth the $200 over a Casio. If I want to move up, I'd consider the P-140 (GH I think). I'm going to have a really difficult time finding the P-140 for less than $900. This is basically the only other keyboard I've researched that seems like it would work for me.

Roland:
The only other manufacturer that came up on my radar as a serious option to consider. The problem is that they are priced out of my range.

Buying in general:
Honestly, I don't really have a problem buying second hand. The problem is that I don't see many DPs selling secondhand, and the ones that I see listed on eBay can be beaten by shopping around online and applying some coupons here & there.

So I ask you guys, what would you recommend? And is my understanding of what's on the market pretty accurate?

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1327171 - 12/17/09 12:53 AM Re: adult re-learning on a budget [Re: pandamonium]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Do you live in the US? If so prices are better than you have found. Search this forum for the 20% off deal at Music123. Others will match that price if you ask. This means the Yamaha P140 and even the P155 is within your budget.

#1327182 - 12/17/09 01:29 AM Re: adult re-learning on a budget [Re: ChrisA]
ptnaidu Offline

Chris,

Can you please point me to the thread on 20% deal at Music123? I can't find the thread, and they only said about 15% off digital dollars that I can spend in their online store next year. How do I get 20% off now?

Thanks

#1327188 - 12/17/09 01:37 AM Re: adult re-learning on a budget [Re: ptnaidu]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Enter a coupon code "DEALTAKE" at checkout. Codes are available at dealtaker.com

#1327208 - 12/17/09 02:31 AM Re: adult re-learning on a budget [Re: ChrisA]
pandamonium Offline

Awesome- thanks for the heads up ChrisA!

Do you have any recommendations for other keyboards to consider or are the ones I wrote about pretty much what I should be looking for?

#1327541 - 12/17/09 02:38 PM Re: adult re-learning on a budget [Re: pandamonium]
Huygens Offline

Loc: Sweden
Some possible ordinary priced DPs:
  • Korg LP350 Extremely strong key action for the price. Some people says the sound is a bit weak outside the mid-range. Several voices. Has 2-level sampling. 3-pedal console.
  • Korg SP250 Extremely strong key action for the price. Some people says the sound is a bit weak outside the mid-range. Several voices. Has 2-level sampling. 1-pedal keyboard.
  • Casio AP-620 Good key action, close to the Korg SP250. Lots of synth voices & accompaniments. 4-level sampling. More expensive. 3-pedal console.
  • Casio PX-830 Good key action, close to the Korg SP250. Some people think the sound is a little too thin. 4-level sampling. 3-pedal console.
  • Kurzweil SP2SX Lots of sounds & voices of decent quality. Good key action. 2-pedal stand.
  • Kurzweil PC3X Abundance of sounds & voices. Good key action. No speakers. Clearly better than SP2SX. 3-pedal keyboard.
  • (no link) Yamaha YDP-223 Legendary digital piano. Very good 1-level sampled sound, outperforming 3-level DPs like YDP-160. Regular key action. 3-pedal console.
  • Yamaha P-155 Very good sound considering the speakers. Regular key action. 4-level sampling. 1-pedal keyboard.
  • Kawai ES6 Very good key action. Nice sounds. Lots of accompaniments! Several voices. 3-pedal console.
  • Kawai CN42 Very good key action. Extremely (?) good sound. Several voices. Expensive. 3-pedal console. (see also the Kawai CN32)
  • Roland HP203 Extremely good key action. Expensive compared to the others. Lots of extra voices. 3-pedal console.
  • Casio CDP-200R Low price. Lots of synth sounds & accompaniments. Graded Hammer key action of light quality. 1-pedal stand.

In order to decide if you ─║ike a digital piano or not, pay attention to two things when you compare them in the shop:
  • Do you like the faked Graded Hammer action of the keyboard?
  • Do you like the sound of the Grand Piano voices?
Some 1-pedal keyboards can be upgraded by buying a 3-pedal unit.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
136 registered (accordeur, Abby Pianoman, AndrewJCW, Alex1, 45 invisible), 1500 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75566 Members
42 Forums
156235 Topics
2294543 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
teaching in a studio vs independently from home
by JRoberts
07/28/14 07:40 PM
First time piano buyer - please help!
by Ksi
07/28/14 07:29 PM
Verituner Data Download?
by A443
07/28/14 07:27 PM
Meaning of Perfect Fith in music theory
by Weiyan
07/28/14 07:14 PM
Practicing slow is only part of it
by Sweet06
07/28/14 06:50 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission