Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1327493 - 12/17/09 01:22 PM Basic Piano software hardware setup questions
LS35A Offline

Loc: Hayden, ID
I'm thinking of trying something like Pianoteq, or more likely Ivory.

I've got some knucklehead basic questions about how this works. I take my keyboard midi out into a controller and that goes into the usb on my PC.

Does the sound then come out of my PC speakers?

So a setup would be 1) software, 2) usb controller, 3) PC, 4) external amp and speakers or amplified speakers.

I tried hooking amplified speakers directly out of my ES4 and it sounded horrible. Tinny and awful. I guess when the sound source (DP) is not that good, better speakers just make you hear how bad it is.

All comments welcome.

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1328046 - 12/18/09 03:23 AM Re: Basic Piano software hardware setup questions [Re: LS35A]
Glenn NK Offline

Loc: Victoria BC
Originally Posted By: LS35A

Ivory sounds nice, but I believe that Pianoteq is more playable. This however can be highly subjective, and others may not concur.

I've got some knucklehead basic questions about how this works. I take my keyboard midi out into a controller and that goes into the usb on my PC.

(No questions are knucklehead.) Another option is to use a PCI or PCIe soundcard (goes into computer slot). I run a MIDI cable from the piano OUT to the S/C MIDI IN. There may some instances where USB will not transmit high burst rates of music information, and I've heard that firewire may be better. Certainly PCI or PCIe are better.

http://www.emu.com/products/welcome.asp?category=505&

I use the 1820M (discontinued), but have heard good things about the 0404 PCI - but this requires a PC obviously.

You must run audio cables (L/R) from the soundcard to the piano's AUDIO IN. This requires two cables - on for the Left channel, one for the Right.

So a setup would be 1) software, 2) usb controller, 3) PC, 4) external amp and speakers or amplified speakers.

With the software mixer on my soundcard, I can route the audio signal to any or all of; the piano's speakers, powered monitor speakers, headphones.

I tried hooking amplified speakers directly out of my ES4 and it sounded horrible. Tinny and awful. I guess when the sound source (DP) is not that good, better speakers just make you hear how bad it is.

It's possible that the bad sound is a result of your internal computer soundcard. A few weeks ago, my S/C blew up (bad capacitors), and I resorted to the internal one. The sound was so bad that I almost cried. Fortunately, it cost me $60 to fix it - I'm much more careful about the S/C now.

All comments welcome.

#1328246 - 12/18/09 12:01 PM Re: Basic Piano software hardware setup questions [Re: LS35A]
JBurn Offline

Loc: Mississippi, USA

Hi there. I'll try to shed some light - I'm new to the software piano thing and have learned a lot reading on these forums the past month or so.

You have a few options here. You can go the MIDI-to-USB route, using a cable like this one:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=732

Or a complete USB audio interface like the M-Audio Fast Track, E-MU 0404, etc. These are great for recording and doing what you describe, and are easy to set up and use.

OR you can use a PCI or PCI-E sound card with MIDI connections, etc. Like the M-Audio Audiophile 192 or the E-MU 0404 PCI. The PCI-E bus is superior to USB and will allow lower latencies, but you probably won't even need this. The USB should option is sufficient in this area.

Quote:

You have options here as well. You can use the DP's speaker system, but as you've already discovered, it's not that great. So dedicated speakers are probably better.

Speakers that sound good to YOU can be tough to find. Not to mention expensive. There are a lot of threads here asking what kind of speakers/monitors to use, so you might find it helpful to do a search for those.

The easiest way to get great sound out of your software piano is to buy a good set of headphones. This route is usually cheaper. I have a set of Bose quiet comfort's that only cost ~125 dollars, and they sound FANTASTIC. Way better than any speakers I've been able to try. I know they're not the best headphones but I'm completely satisfied with them.

#1328263 - 12/18/09 12:23 PM Re: Basic Piano software hardware setup questions [Re: JBurn]
sid4iwpa Offline

get this :
Yamaha Audiogram 3 or 6 will do.

#1328291 - 12/18/09 12:57 PM Re: Basic Piano software hardware setup questions [Re: LS35A]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California

Are you sure the amplified speakers you used were better quality then what is built into the piano? A reasonable indicator of quality is price and size. I'd guess you have to spend $400 to have good enough quality external speakers that it would be noticeably better. and even then you need to play around and experiment with location the aim of the speakers.

Yes the hookup to MIDI to the computer then you some software and out the computer's audio outout and then to some external speakers. But as you have found you need some really nice speakers or excelent sample in the computer are a waste.

Speakers good enough to be able to bring out the quality different of the computer based sound are physically large and expensive.

You will also almost certainly need an external USB audio interface as the audio built into most PCs is not very good, good enough for games and DVD movies, maybe but not the internal audio in not "studio quality" by any means. You can get aa USB interface that combines audio and midi and save some cables to make a nearer setup.

Expect to spend about 1/2 the price of a digital piano for the powered monitors.

When you listen to the digital piano, you are listening to speakers. These matter a LOT. he speakers define the quality of the sound. Even some of the weaker, older DPs when connected to high end sound system sound better then new DPs on their internal speakers. I'd say they are the most critical component.

Spend a lot of time auditioning speakers. Bring a CD recording of music you know well and liten critically for more than just a few minutes.

Beast deal on headphones right now are the AGK K240 for $99 at sweetwater. That's half price. These headphones are good. Comparable speakers are in the $600 to $1000 (each) range.

#1328302 - 12/18/09 01:12 PM Re: Basic Piano software hardware setup questions [Re: ChrisA]
snazzyplayer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Earth
Regarding speakers, you might have a look at Logitech's Z-2300 2.1 system.

Packs in 200 watts, and sounds fabulous on arrangers and digital pianos.

Very popular and under $200 USD.

Snazzy

#1328323 - 12/18/09 01:34 PM Re: Basic Piano software hardware setup questions [Re: snazzyplayer]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Originally Posted By: snazzyplayer
... Logitech's Z-2300 2.1 ...
Packs in 200 watts ...
Take care with the maker's power claims. smile

When Logitech (or any maker of PC speakers) claims 200 watts, you should probably expect about 25 watts.

Their power claim lacks a test specification. They're probably talking about "peak dynamic music power", which is typically 8x greater than the honest methods mandated by the FTC in 1974.

PC speaker sets are exempt from that regulation, hence the oft seen claims of as much as 2000 watts! for desktop speakers.

#1328335 - 12/18/09 01:42 PM Re: Basic Piano software hardware setup questions [Re: MacMacMac]
snazzyplayer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Earth
You're correct Mac...but, however the power is measured, there are many keyboard players using these for home use, and the power is very substantial.

I have several sets of these, and use them on my Korg PA2XPro arranger, my P-85 pianos, and of course, on my laptop.

They were designed basically for home computer/home entertainment, but it was posted by several people on keyboard forums that they are excellent for pianos and/or arrangers.

I gave them a try, and was more than satisfied with their performance.

And...they have a remote control...cool!

Snazzy

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
137 registered (adanepst, 36251, Almaviva, 38 invisible), 1436 Guests and 39 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153496 Topics
2249269 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Teaching memorization
by clarikeys
04/16/14 07:45 AM
Accepted Procedure for Having a Piano Tech look at a piano?
by Paul678
04/16/14 07:19 AM
Tips for playing a piece through
by Hemmingway
04/16/14 06:40 AM
Temperature and tuning
by Beemer
04/16/14 04:46 AM
Tired Fingers
by adanepst
04/16/14 01:45 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission