Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1328880 - 12/19/09 07:19 AM DPs and guitar amps?
BazC Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Cambridgeshire, UK
Just out of curiosity I just tried my DP through a '70's valve Fender Champ and doesn't sound bad! It's only a temporary measure until I buy something more suitable (Roland Cm-30 probably) but I was wondering if using the DP through a guitar amp is likely to do any damage if I keep the volume down and avoid the lowest notes?

Korg SP200, Pianoteq

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#1328890 - 12/19/09 07:48 AM Re: DPs and guitar amps? [Re: BazC]
snazzyplayer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Earth
Guitar amps are used to distortion, so I don't think you'll do it any harm within reasonable volume levels.

Since the specs on your Korg SP-200 indicate "high-quality stereo samples" in use, you had best go with a stereo system for optimum reproduction.

You can get an extremely efficient but affordable sound system using the Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speaker system, that has been thoroughly approved by many keyboardists looking for a great home system. I've had personal experience with this system, and it is very impressive.

If you are playing on stage, I highly recommend (through experience) the Traynor K4 Keyboard Monitor amp which is a stereo unit, and is rugged, very powerful, and reasonably priced.

Most, if not all, digital piano stereo samples (and VST's) do not collapse well to mono, and most of an instrument's internal effects(DSP) are at their best heard in stereo. Some pianos have a mono piano sound specifically for use with mono amps, but the rest of the instrument's sounds are usually in stereo.

A friend of mine and I modified a Fender Twin Reverb (guitar amp), using full range Celestion speakers, for use with a Fender Rhodes piano, but we weren't all that pleased with playing the acoustic piano sound of a digital piano through it...the Rhodes, however, sounded wonderful.

Snazzy

#1328949 - 12/19/09 10:12 AM Re: DPs and guitar amps? [Re: snazzyplayer]
BazC Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for the info! The SP200 has a mono piano in addition to the stereo pianos plus a mono output if required and doesn't sound bad at all in mono. I hope to get a stereo speaker system for it eventually and I'll certainly consider the Logitech system. I won't be gigging I'm not nearly good enough yet! , thanks again!

Korg SP200, Pianoteq

#1329079 - 12/19/09 12:53 PM Re: DPs and guitar amps? [Re: BazC]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: BazC
Just out of curiosity I just tried my DP through a '70's valve Fender Champ and doesn't sound bad! It's only a temporary measure until I buy something more suitable (Roland Cm-30 probably) but I was wondering if using the DP through a guitar amp is likely to do any damage if I keep the volume down and avoid the lowest notes?

You can't damage the amp. By playing a keyboard through it.

The Fender Champ has a pretty clean sound if you don't turn it up. So I imagine the sound is not bad for non-acoustic piano sounds. The frequency response how ever is anything but flat. I'd expect a kind of warm Fender sound.

Fender is sure a better choice then say a Mesa Boogie Duel Rectifier. But still, even the Champ is not an accurate or hifi amp. You can make it beter by using any 8 ohm hifi speaker you might have. The champ is very low power so any speaker should work fine.

The old Rhodes keyboards where played through Fender valve amps so you might be able to get the best electric piano sounds using the guitar amp.

I have a Champ too. but mine's the re-issue I tried using it with a Rolland Synth and even but a Boss DS1 in the chain in an attempt to get a conving electric guitar sound out of the keyboard. It only sort of worked. No synth has good guitar sounds

Edited by ChrisA (12/19/09 12:56 PM)

#1329301 - 12/19/09 04:58 PM Re: DPs and guitar amps? [Re: ChrisA]
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cape Cod
I've heard many players say they get better results playing keyboards through bass amps rather than regular guitar amps. I got great results myself with a JBL EON15 G2 for years. These days I use a Bose PAS L2 which is amazing the way it doubles as a stage monitor. My wife often takes a little Mackie Srm150 instead on her solo gigs which is ultra-light and works and sounds great in smaller venues. I highly recommend any Mackie SRM or JBL G2 but the Bose PAS is my fav.

Howard

#1329314 - 12/19/09 05:11 PM Re: DPs and guitar amps? [Re: snazzyplayer]
Psalm23 Offline

Loc: Boston
Originally Posted By: snazzyplayer

If you are playing on stage, I highly recommend (through experience) the Traynor K4 Keyboard Monitor amp which is a stereo unit, and is rugged, very powerful, and reasonably priced.

Most, if not all, digital piano stereo samples (and VST's) do not collapse well to mono, and most of an instrument's internal effects(DSP) are at their best heard in stereo. Some pianos have a mono piano sound specifically for use with mono amps, but the rest of the instrument's sounds are usually in stereo.

A friend of mine and I modified a Fender Twin Reverb (guitar amp), using full range Celestion speakers, for use with a Fender Rhodes piano, but we weren't all that pleased with playing the acoustic piano sound of a digital piano through it...the Rhodes, however, sounded wonderful.

Snazzy

I play my Roland RD700GX through a Fender Twin 100 watt all tube amp. All of the electric piano sounds are outstanding. The acoustic sounds are not nearly as good. As Snazzy said, the K4 is a great amp. I just ordered one.

#1329642 - 12/20/09 05:36 AM Re: DPs and guitar amps? [Re: Psalm23]
BazC Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for the replies! True the pianos don't sound as good as the other voices but they're good enough for now, the EPs and Vibes sound great!

Korg SP200, Pianoteq

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Odd
by Minnesota Marty
10/01/14 01:41 PM
Moonlight Sonata 1st Movement
by johnbarnesiii
10/01/14 01:08 PM
Joshua Bell's second concert draws large crowds
by pianoloverus
10/01/14 01:02 PM
NAMM 2015 - Are You Booked??
by Piano World
10/01/14 12:09 PM
Music stores in Boston
by Jamie_from_Canada
10/01/14 09:39 AM
Who's Online
152 registered (alans, Adypiano, ajames, Al LaPorte, 47 invisible), 1706 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76389 Members
42 Forums
157923 Topics
2319284 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission