2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
You're welcome!

You should pick it up! It's a fun second (or in my case first) instrument. I only play for myself and jam with friends every once in a while, but it's still rewarding. smile I have six guitars right now; four electrics and two classicals.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Nice playing!

My main comment would be that I think sometimes the balance between the RH melody and the RH inner voices could be better(the melody louder and/or inner voices softer).

I think listening to Youtbue recordings by great pianists can be trememdously helpful ...almost like taking a free lesson from them. If you can identify what you like about their playing then you can try to do that also.

Some of your rubato I liked and some was not convincing for me. For example, I like your slight pause on the first note but I thought there should be a gradual ritard at the end(as opposed to waiting before the last note but playing the three before that in time).

ab-ster Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks pianoloverus,

Yes, I'm still working on playing the melody voice louder than the inner right hand voices.

I like Valentina Lisitsa's interpretation. I thought that it's more 'compatible' to modern ears. I also listened to Kempf, Igoshina, Cortot and Horowitz. Each plays them differently.

I'll work on the gradual ritard at the end. That makes more sense than waiting for the last note.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
As far as voice balancing goes, you should probably strive for quieter inner voices rather than a louder melody. If you aren't careful, you can get an ugly sound if you push the melody too far. I'd recommend splitting the difference and going both ways.

Online Content
IMO sometimes the balance was OK, sometimes the melody needs to be louder, sometimes the inner voices have to be softer, and sometimes both.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I agree; it was an excellent performance as is. It doesn't need much at all to be an absolutely fantastic performance. smile

Bravo!

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Sounds great! Very balanced and controlled performance. I like the rubato.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A surprising, quite interesting fact about this etude is that Chopin, in the autograph manuscript, originally indicated the tempo as "Vivace" and later added "ma non troppo". In addition, the passages from bar 46 have no "forte/fortissimo" or "doppio movimento" indications. Also, the poco piú animato (often marked at bar 21) is not given in the original manuscript.

[Linked Image]

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by tosser
A surprising, quite interesting fact about this etude is that Chopin, in the autograph manuscript, originally indicated the tempo as "Vivace" and later added "ma non troppo". In addition, the passages from bar 46 have no "forte/fortissimo" or "doppio movimento" indications. Also, the poco piú animato (often marked at bar 21) is not given in the original manuscript.

[Linked Image]

Are all the later additions given by Chopin himself or did editors have a hand?

Great performance. Great presentation. Thanks for sharing.

“Some people stay far away from the door if there’s a chance of it opening up. They hear a voice in the hall outside and hope that it just passes by.” Billy Joel

1970 Baldwin Hamilton
C
C
(my first post!)

Very nice!

I started working on this piece pretty recently, since about the time this thread was last visited (over the holidays), as my main "getting back into piano" piece (I've played on and off over the years). It would be very, very tricky to learn it by ear, because of the multiple voices and figuring out exactly what notes to hold over, etc. It certainly wasn't obvious from the recordings I analyzed, anyway. So kudos to you for being able to do that!

That con bravura section is killer (my first reaction on reaching it in the sheet music: GROOOOAN... tooooo many acccidentalllls!!!!!) It was much easier for me to learn it by ear--what I did was recognize its basic "algorithmic pattern" (paired in leaps by tritones, generally chromatically descending, etc.). Despite knowing that intricately, I still play it with a lot of, as Damon would say, klunkers. It's improving, though, reasonably klunker-free at 3/4 speed, I think. It'll still be some time before I can share my results here smile

All the recordings I've analyzed have slight pauses in between each middle section theme, like, for example, right before the section with tritones. I naturally have long pauses there because I'm still simply just taking too long to figure out where to move my hands smile but I do feel that those short pauses make sense, despite the sheet music not indicating it.

But yes, thanks for sharing... it is good encouragement to stick with it, and inspires me to get it to performance quality!

Last edited by ch0ndawg; 03/03/10 09:06 AM.

Current Projects

Beethoven:
Pathétique Sonata (refreshing)
Moonlight Sonata (refreshing and polishing)

Chopin:
Étude Op. 10 No. 3 (essentially done)
Revolutionary Étude (polishing)
Polonaises Op. 40

Bach:
WTC Prelude & Fugues #1, #2
J
J
Very nice, thank you for sharing!

This piece brings back a memory... The first time I played it in a performance was for a high school literary competition. I was such a bundle of nerves; I will never forget introducing the piece, sitting down at the piano, and then completely forgetting the piece! Totally gone. Good thing the timer didn't start until I started playing because it took me awhile to compose myself and get it together, but my nerves were shot and it was all I could do to play at all by that point.

So, for this one I can't say anything but job well done! smile

I'm from the Deep South, where "Ustacould" is indeed a word.
So... I ustacould play really good. Even taught a little. Now I just play. smile
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission