Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1329556 - 12/19/09 11:59 PM Used Yamaha DGX-630 - is this a reasonable price?
Gardyloo Offline

Loc: San Francisco Area
On a local ad list there's a one year old Yamaha DGX-630 priced at a firm $550. My son tried that model today at Guitar Center and liked it; they're having a sale on it for $799 new.

He's an experienced college musician, but new to piano. His 1980's era Casio is holding him back.

Is $550 a fair price for one of these used?
Thanks!

Yes, it's my first post, but I've been lurking and learning for a while. smile

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1329567 - 12/20/09 12:37 AM Re: Used Yamaha DGX-630 - is this a reasonable price? [Re: Gardyloo]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: Gardyloo
On a local ad list there's a one year old Yamaha DGX-630 priced at a firm $550. My son tried that model today at Guitar Center and liked it; they're having a sale on it for $799 new.

He's an experienced college musician, but new to piano. His 1980's era Casio is holding him back.

Is $550 a fair price for one of these used?

I think 2/3 of new is fair. Let's see that comes to $533. So yes, it's very close to what I'd expect for a good condition current production model.

But I think Music123 still has the 20% off deal which means you can get it for $640 new. Is a three year Warranty worth $90 to you? I don't know.

One other thing, if he is new to piano but serious he should take one of his buddies who plays piano to check it out. A lot of people don't think the key action in the 630 is suitable for a serous student. But others like it a lot. If the goal is to learn piano and he likes the 630, the P85 is the same for about $250 less.

#1329984 - 12/20/09 03:56 PM Re: Used Yamaha DGX-630 - is this a reasonable price? [Re: ChrisA]
Gardyloo Offline

Good advice Chris; thanks! We'll look for the coupon; Guitar Center said they'll match anyone's prices, even Amazon. So maybe they'll take Music 123's coupon.

This is really a great site and you folks are very helpful
Thanks!

#1330097 - 12/20/09 06:48 PM Re: Used Yamaha DGX-630 - is this a reasonable price? [Re: Gardyloo]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Gardyloo
We'll look for the coupon;

www.dealtaker.com code = "DEALTAKE"

#1330128 - 12/20/09 07:38 PM Re: Used Yamaha DGX-630 - is this a reasonable price? [Re: ChrisA]
Gardyloo Offline

Thanks again. I just caught a mistake on my part. The DP at Guitar Center for $799 with bench is actually the YPG635; my son liked the feel of the keys. He plays at the college with school pianos and practices at home with a really old DP.

As you mentioned, there seems to be a love/hate thing with the DGX-630. I'm not seeing as much discussion on the YPG635 (and my search function on this forum isn't turning anything up -probably a user error).

#1330141 - 12/20/09 07:58 PM Re: Used Yamaha DGX-630 - is this a reasonable price? [Re: Gardyloo]
Gardyloo Offline

NVM; according to a different search, YPG is for the U.S. market and DGX is European.

#1330162 - 12/20/09 08:31 PM Re: Used Yamaha DGX-630 - is this a reasonable price? [Re: Gardyloo]
MarkL Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago Suburban
I suspect your son would not be happy with a model with the Graded Hammer Standard (GHS) keyboard, which the DGX 630 has. I would try to get a model with Graded Hammer (GH) keyboard. The P155 and P140 both have GH, the P85 has the GHS.

#1330166 - 12/20/09 08:37 PM Re: Used Yamaha DGX-630 - is this a reasonable price? [Re: MarkL]
snazzyplayer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Earth
I have to say, the GHS keyboard in my P-85 is pretty darn good.

Excellent response, not too heavy, not too light...just like the Baby Bear's porridge...just right. thumb

The GHS action is rugged as well. My two P-85's get a lot of playing, and they've worked flawlessly.

Snazzy

#1330177 - 12/20/09 08:58 PM Re: Used Yamaha DGX-630 - is this a reasonable price? [Re: MarkL]
sid4iwpa Offline

pros for your considerations:
The DGX 630 has lots of sounds and drum rhythm patterns. It is general midi/XG compatible and you will not find it weird to play back midi files downloaded from the web. The drums tracks would come out just the way it should be. Try playing a midi file on a p155 and the drums tracks will come out as non-nonsensical garbage. It has lots of tracks for recording too. The DGX 630 has so much more functions than a no-nonsense digital piano; which the boring p155 and p140 lacks.

cons for your considerations:
The piano sounds of the DGX 630 is not really that amazing. It sounds thin and it's like a portasound housed in a piano look-alike stand given the 88 keys which most standard normal piano has. In addition, the keys are noisy, turn off the volume and randomly press the keys and you will know what i mean. If your son is buying the piano for those ABRSM/other graded exams, then i think he will be better off buying the p155/p140. the GH keyboards on the p155 has a better feel, tho' in some ways it still lose out to those digital piano with GH3/as compared to a real piano. If his interest in piano is still there, maybe you can consider to upgrade to a better piano when he reach a higher grade. However, if he is just buying to play for fun/entertainment as a "toy", then i think the DGX 630 would suffice.

Normally, its not advisable to buy a piano that is too good/expensive for starters, unless you can be really sure that your son's interest in piano will be sustained in the future; that's just my 2 cents of advise.

#1330224 - 12/20/09 10:17 PM Re: Used Yamaha DGX-630 - is this a reasonable price? [Re: sid4iwpa]
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
There's another thread here on the YPG 635/DGX 630 = same model.
I'm happy with mine and I bought and returned the Casio PX330.

#1330226 - 12/20/09 10:19 PM Re: Used Yamaha DGX-630 - is this a reasonable price? [Re: Nikalette]
snazzyplayer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Earth
Originally Posted By: Nikalette
There's another thread here on the YPG 635/DGX 630 = same model.
I'm happy with mine and I bought and returned the Casio PX330.

Nikalette,

Why did you return the Casio PX330?

Snazzy

#1330833 - 12/21/09 05:11 PM Re: Used Yamaha DGX-630 - is this a reasonable price? [Re: MarkL]
Huygens Offline

Loc: Sweden
Originally Posted By: MarkL
I suspect your son would not be happy with a model with the Graded Hammer Standard (GHS) keyboard, which the DGX 630 has. I would try to get a model with Graded Hammer (GH) keyboard. The P155 and P140 both have GH, the P85 has the GHS.

There is little difference between GHS and GH.

#1330905 - 12/21/09 06:36 PM Re: Used Yamaha DGX-630 - is this a reasonable price? [Re: Huygens]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Huygens
Originally Posted By: MarkL

There is little difference between GHS and GH.

Many people can tell in an instant the difference and have strong preferences. It is reasonable to say "I can hardly detect any difference" no one could argue with that.

I think there is quite a bit of difference, The GHS really is better if you intend to play a wider range of sound -- as you would on a YPG635. Also the lighter GHS are easier to play and might be overall best if you never intend to play an acoustic instrument. The only thing GH has going for it is that it better simulates an acoustic piano.

If you are one of those lucky people who can't tell the difference between GH and GHS then you are lucky and need never spend over $1K for a digital piano.

Same goes for sound systems. Many people are lucky can can't tell the difference between a $10,000 stereo and a boom box. Those people can save a pile of money.

That is why everyone say "try iy yourself". You just be lucky and prefer the lower priced instrument.

#1331352 - 12/22/09 10:09 AM Re: Used Yamaha DGX-630 - is this a reasonable price? [Re: ChrisA]
sid4iwpa Offline

To feel the difference between GH and GHS, you need to play on on a GH for a extended period of time, then switch over to GHS. Instantaneously, you will feel that the GHS keyboard is more sluggish as compared to the GH.

#1331773 - 12/22/09 06:58 PM Re: Used Yamaha DGX-630 - is this a reasonable price? [Re: snazzyplayer]
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
The one I ordered came in with 2 defective keys (permanently pushed in)...also the instrument voices weren't as good. I would have kept it to see if I liked it for the 30 days but with the defects I was troubled.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
160 registered (ajames, accordeur, Adypiano, ABC Vermonter, 48 invisible), 1895 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156094 Topics
2292183 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Newbie Needs Help
by PianoJill
4 minutes 29 seconds ago
fingering suggestions, please
by riley80
Today at 11:14 AM
Yamaha P105 for outdoors ???
by musicmad
Today at 11:10 AM
Godowsky, Poem No. 1, "Devotion"
by RachFan
Today at 11:09 AM
Help for Newbie
by PianoJill
Today at 10:18 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission