Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
159 registered (accordeur, anotherscott, aceydawg, anamnesis, ando, 44 invisible), 1792 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1330492 - 12/21/09 08:08 AM found a teacher for my 3 year old
Vivin Offline

I posted here a few weeks ago asking for tips for finding a teacher for my little boy. Well, I actually found a couple who were willing and able. There's apparently a book series called Alfred's, and he blazed through the whole first book in the 30 minute trial lesson with one of the teachers. Afterwards, she turned her head towards me (sitting down on a couch across the room) and said enthusiastically "I want to teach this kid." I decided to go with that teacher.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1330502 - 12/21/09 08:40 AM Re: found a teacher for my 3 year old [Re: Vivin]
Lollipop Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia
Congratulations! How long are lessons? Hope your son continues to enjoy it.

#1330535 - 12/21/09 09:59 AM Re: found a teacher for my 3 year old [Re: Lollipop]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
There are several Alfred series. And going through the whole book in 30 minutes would mean spending about 30-40 seconds on each page - barely enough time to play through it twice, much less do any kind of real work.

(I'm skeptical.)
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1331045 - 12/21/09 09:42 PM Re: found a teacher for my 3 year old [Re: Kreisler]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I hope it goes well for your son! It sounds like you've found a good match for him.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1331230 - 12/22/09 05:10 AM Re: found a teacher for my 3 year old [Re: Kreisler]
Vivin Offline

What reason do I have to lie? Anyhow, I'm sure she was just trying to get a measure of his ability. I'm not expecting that she's going to have him go through a book per lesson.

#1331367 - 12/22/09 10:27 AM Re: found a teacher for my 3 year old [Re: Vivin]
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
No, it's not this easy. Going through a whole book is not possible in 30 minutes. The concepts are to be taught and learned and used not breezed through.

Do you know anything about the teachers background or have you seen their students in recitals.

I think you might have been impressed that this couple are interested in your son. It is very easy to pull off a scenario when interviewing a prospective student that makes them want to start piano - you appeal to the child's senses - and you let the child's parents know your impressed with him. It's that simple.

Look deeper as you go along. Three years old is a precious age and it's so wrong to foist adult demands on children who are just discovering themselves and who they will be. I don't agree that a 3 year old belongs at the piano keyboard at so young of an age.

Logic, spatial relationships, associations are things we rely on seeing in music as we progress and that doesn't happen until about 9 years of age in child development. His body and brain are just not ready for the connections made while playing the piano. He also does not yet have the vocabularly he needs, nor can he read and do the functioning that piano requires.

Tap out some songs, imitate, memorize - he can probably do. That is not what I consider playing the piano.

I'm sorry to differ with you but maybe this child needs an advocate in his behalf. I hope no harm is done to him in this pursuit. Time will tell since you are so eager for this early start. There are so many other safe and wonderful experiences in the arts that would help prepare him for the future. Being at the piano keyboard for piano lessons is not one of them in my opinion. People do it. Why?

#1331470 - 12/22/09 12:16 PM Re: found a teacher for my 3 year old [Re: Betty Patnude]
Vivin Offline

thank you for your concern. he likes to play the piano. he enjoyed the free lesson. if he doesn't enjoy it in the future, I'll stop sending him. It's pretty easy to tell. Not all kids like the same things.

#1331553 - 12/22/09 02:03 PM Re: found a teacher for my 3 year old [Re: Vivin]
Morodiene Offline

I didn't think she was actually teaching him but having him sight read to see what he was capable of. I don't see a problem with this for a "free lesson." However, if that is how her lessons are normally conducted, then it might be an issue.

#1331697 - 12/22/09 05:11 PM Re: found a teacher for my 3 year old [Re: Morodiene]
Piano*Dad Online   content

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
How does a three year old sight read?
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1331955 - 12/22/09 11:28 PM Re: found a teacher for my 3 year old [Re: Piano*Dad]
Morodiene Offline

There are some 3 year olds that can read.

#1332125 - 12/23/09 08:12 AM Re: found a teacher for my 3 year old [Re: Morodiene]
Lollipop Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia
I'm not familiar with what type of books Alfred might publish for preschoolers. But some of the earliest piano books have rhythms, up and down the keyboard, pattern of the keyboard, etc. I suspect that the teacher paged through the book, checking to see how quickly the child caught on to concepts, and wasn't really trying to teach each page. And the mother, who is probably not a teacher (nor a pianist?) watched the teacher go through the book, and perhaps interpreted it a little differently than what happened. Just my guess.

I don't think I can make a judgement on whether this teacher is any good or not based on this. At the end of the lesson, the teacher seemed excited by what the child could do, and was eager to teach him. That leads me to believe she saw a spark, intelligence, or ability in this child she feels she can work with. Isn't this what every parent, student, and teacher hopes for?

And she's got a parent willing and eager to get involved. I could use a few students like that!

#1332281 - 12/23/09 11:37 AM Re: found a teacher for my 3 year old [Re: Piano*Dad]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: Piano*Dad
How does a three year old sight read?

They're geniuses! There seems to be an endless supply of them lately.

#1332471 - 12/23/09 03:38 PM Re: found a teacher for my 3 year old [Re: Vivin]
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Vivin
thank you for your concern. he likes to play the piano. he enjoyed the free lesson. if he doesn't enjoy it in the future, I'll stop sending him. It's pretty easy to tell. Not all kids like the same things.
]]

Yes, Vivin, you can stop taking him to lessons if it doesn't work out or if he stops enjoying it. But, how is he going to feel about that when piano lessons become negative to him? How will you keep an open door to return to the piano at some later date? Do you think he's going to be mature about it if he is withdrawn for one reason or another?

Liking it is a small part of piano lessons. What piano students really require is some determination when "tough" enters the picture. At some point frustrations enter and many children have trouble facing those times when the music is too challenging and they don't know the answers.

I think piano students do really well when the parent is supportive in other ways besides paying the fees and providing the transportation to lessons. How will you be supportive? Is your only strategy that you will remove him from lessons? How will you keep him in lessons and help him through the problems (little ones, but many little ones) he will encounter?

Will he say "My mom put me in piano lessons when I was 3! What was she thinking of?" Or, will he say, "Thanks to my mom's foresight, I got an early start on my favorite instrument"? Who knows? Do you feel that you are taking a risk at all by starting him now? I don't understand where that desire comes from when their is so much at risk for such a young beginner.

If he takes off and proves to be a prodigy, what then? Years and years of dedication and hopes for a very good outcome. Staying on the path is another thing to be concerned about. Equally problematic.

Everything we do in life has it's pro's and con's. Consequences will be part of the mix and there is no easy escaping. I think you are entering a very serious undertaking as it pertains to the success of your child's budding musicianship.

#1332741 - 12/23/09 11:06 PM Re: found a teacher for my 3 year old [Re: Betty Patnude]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
"What reason do I have to lie?"

I did not hear anyone suggest it, other than yourself. And I don't think anyone here is in a position to answer it.

Frankly, three is too young. Take a look at his little hand. He's been walking and talking for, what, two years--- and is still learning. I have heard three-year-olds talk; it is charming, but the brain has a long way to go. Children of this age have other tasks than piano lessons.

Most people have no conscious connective memory before the age of about four, or even a bit later.

No one can prevent you. I am very doubtful, but I'll wish both of you the best of luck. I think that Betty's advice to have a fallback position is well-considered.

#1333283 - 12/24/09 07:22 PM Re: found a teacher for my 3 year old [Re: Jeff Clef]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Not a teacher here, just a mother and an amateur pianist. I think right now he'd be better off with a toy piano he can "play" to his heart's content and yourself as an appreciative audience-it will be all the same to him - and an aural environment rich in musical stimulation. That's all the "headstart" he needs right now. Don't make him feel like a failure before he's even begun by starting him too young. So much of musicality is innate. Don't deprive him of the thrill him of discovering it for himself.

#1335076 - 12/27/09 11:18 PM Re: found a teacher for my 3 year old [Re: -Frycek]
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Why not start with a virtual piano and a few short tunes at home on your computer? There are tunes with RH 5 fingers alone, then there are many written at Middle C for both hands.

I just found a few of these and added them to the mix in my studio. I think they work great as a test of the child's interest and what he can do on his own with a few simple rules and marking on the music page for any reminders he needs.

Does Mom or Dad play, Vivin?

#1335349 - 12/28/09 10:26 AM Re: found a teacher for my 3 year old [Re: Betty Patnude]
MomOfBeginners Offline

Loc: California, USA
Vivin,

I'm really curious to know which Alfred series was used on your 3-year-old. Was it the Music for Little Mozarts?

My 4-year-old wants piano lessons just because she sees her sister getting piano lessons. She doesn't want to be musical, and I'm not particular about her starting music or piano lessons at this age. But she wants piano lessons just because her sister gets it. (She also wants to go to Grade 1 just like her sister, go to basketball lessons just like her sister, go to ballet lessons just like her sister, go to Sunday school just like her sister, etc.) Listening to music, dancing with it, singing along, tapping a beat is not good enough. She wants *piano lessons*. She's really intent on having a person sit beside her while she's on the piano, and probably doesn't care about the end-result.

So someone lent me their old Music for Little Mozarts book, and I went through pre-reading with her (she was 3.5 years old then), thinking that she would get tired of it in a few lessons. She did go through pre-reading very quickly, and then hit a brick wall when the grand staff was introduced.

So I was just wondering whether your 3-year-old was doing pre-reading, because I can see how a small child may be able to blaze through pre-reading.

By the way, I would still consider the advice of all the other posters on this forum. I'm far from being a music educator. From what I've read here, it sounds like everyone is saying that being able to read music is only one element of learning music and piano. Reading through this forum, I realize that I should probably stop giving my child lessons.

#1335592 - 12/28/09 03:29 PM Re: found a teacher for my 3 year old [Re: MomOfBeginners]
SF10 Offline

I am a teacher with 20 plus years of experience and I grew up in the biz with my mother as a piano teacher.

I am always trying to push the envelope in teaching children.

The earliest I have taken a student is at 5 years of age - that particular child went on to win several big piano competitions.

A child's ability to keep their attention focused on the lesson is THE element I use to judge if the child is ready for personalized piano instruction. If a child does not have an attention span then a parent is paying for baby sitting lessons. Yes, I have seen many unqualified teachers take on students who are too young. Eventually, the student quits because little progress is made. The teacher should have put off the student until he was ready for personal instruction.

The second element I use to judge is the parents - are they committed? With a good teacher and supportive parents success is guaranteed unless there is a divorce or other disruptive elements. Success is guaranteed with a good teacher. Progress is often 100 fold with good teachers. I have my students often for 6-10 years. The reason is that, as a good teacher, I deliver the goods. Students learn often complex musical ideas quickly and are motivated to continue simply because it is not such a struggle.

Lots of great work can be done with students at such a young age. Just saturating young children in great classical music has tremendous intelligence and musical enhancing effects.

I would be very interested in the progress your teacher makes with your child. I recommend that very young children go to Kindermusic and wait until at least 5 to start lessons with me.

But who knows... I always check. The student may be ready.

Keep us posted on how it goes. : )

Edited by SF10 (12/28/09 03:32 PM)

#1335639 - 12/28/09 04:27 PM Re: found a teacher for my 3 year old [Re: SF10]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Welcome to the forum, SF10. I'm guessing you have a Baldwin grand!

When you get a chance, update your profile so you can a little more about yourself with the rest of us.

Where do you teach?

#1335649 - 12/28/09 04:37 PM Re: found a teacher for my 3 year old [Re: SF10]
PianoKitty Offline

Loc: US
As a teacher who has taken students as young as 4 years old (and even one 3.5-year-old who could read at a second-grade level already - wow!) and had great success with them, I might have a different perspective on this. I have about 4 kids in my studio right now who started with me right when they turned 4, and one when she was 3.5. Within one year, all of them are reading music WELL on the grand staff now, some in Middle C position and some in both Middle C and C Positions, and a few of them are already playing complex rhythms and chords on the staff with their hands together.

However, I am very particular about which youngsters I take. Whenever a parent contacts me about teaching their young child (and word has gotten around with my last few recitals), I do a phone evaluation first, asking targeted questions to see if the child might be ready. Only about 50% of my phone evaluations pass this "test" and are invited for an evaluation lesson - which is paid, not free. During this time, I evaluate the child's reasoning skills, ability to retain information, alphabet & number skills, pattern recognition, etc. If I get any inkling that lessons will not be right for the child at that time, that's exactly what I tell the parents. And I am very upfront about this when talking with them initially, that piano is not for every young child.

Every child is different, and should be treated as such, regardless of their age. I have noticed that boys in general tend to not be ready at a very young age....but that is just my experience. Evaluation lessons are so important, IMO. The important thing is that the teacher evaluates your child very carefully before starting him in lessons. It sounds like that is exactly what she did at the first lesson. You might ask her exactly what she was looking for and how your son did, to get more specific answers.

Good luck with your teacher - let us know how it goes!!

Edited by PianoKitty (12/28/09 04:38 PM)

#1335922 - 12/28/09 11:39 PM Re: found a teacher for my 3 year old [Re: John v.d.Brook]
SF10 Offline

Thanks John! I am in NH.

#1335948 - 12/29/09 12:16 AM Re: found a teacher for my 3 year old [Re: SF10]
SF10 Offline

Hi Kitty,

Great post!

I'll play Devil's Advocate here. I have a fine performer/ teacher friend, who I admire very much who says that "it is a waste of time to teach a student that young and that a 6 or 7 year old can 'make up' what is learned from 4 to 6 in a matter of half a year. In the end, he claims, starting that early makes no significant gains for the the students who started at 4 over the ones who started at 6 or 7.".

Hmmm .... Personally, I really do not know what to think of this statement he made. I would LOVE to test it. However, I suspect, if tested, on the whole, his statement may be true.

However, I suspect that just putting those young 4 year old children in a room with great classical music playing for 1 hour a week may have more beneficial effects than a 30 minute piano lesson every week.

Why? Because young students can absorb the most complex music forms and the best humanity has to offer musically just by listening to it at a young age.

I'd love to do a study on this to see if this is generally correct or wrong.

#1336095 - 12/29/09 07:30 AM Re: found a teacher for my 3 year old [Re: SF10]
Vivin Offline

PianoKitty, my boy can also read and write at the 2nd grade level. I'm about 1/3 way through the 2nd grade edition of Hooked on Phonics with him. I got it for him for Christmas. He loves it! It comes with a progress chart that you put stickers on whenever a level is completed. I put it on his wall and every night he jumps up and down and wants to read the next lesson so that he can get another sticker.

Comparitively, my 5 year old nephew can barely read the word 'Cat' and that's with much coaxing and sounding out from his parents. Is it any wonder I think my boy is exceptionally bright?

Musically, he can play just about any melody he hears by ear. He was just playing some tune from an episode of 'Wonder Pets' this weekend. There's only one episode of Wonder Pets he likes. We have it on DVR so he can watch it over and over again, lol. So he's had alot of ear training on that song.

He can also play any of the major or minor scales. I just found that out the other day when I was going through a 'Piano for Beginners' book that I had bought back in college. It was by someone named Bastien. One of the first lessons after rhythm was playing the C Major scale. I played it and told my son that's called the C scale. I asked him if could he play the D scale. He did that, and then he did G and then B minor, with no mistakes. Wow! Maybe that doesn't mean anything to you guys, but as a non-musically inclined person, that blew me away. I certainly wouldn't know when to hit the black keys. I took one semester of piano and one semester of guitar in college, and frankly I sucked.

I have to admit that some of you have made me doubtful about giving him formal piano lessons. He hasn't started yet, but I did buy a bunch of the Music for Little Mozarts books from Amazon in anticipation. They have a 4-for-3 promo + free shipping so you can get 4 books for about ~$23 shipped. That's less than one lesson so I thought it was worth it. I'm thinking maybe I'll teach him myself for a while until his hands get a little bit bigger.

#1336317 - 12/29/09 02:27 PM Re: found a teacher for my 3 year old [Re: Vivin]
PianoKitty Offline

SF10 - Although I know quite a few teachers who would agree with your esteemed friend, I respectfully disagree with his statement. =) I have taught several 4 and 5-year-olds who are extremely musical and catch on to everything very quickly, and now at 6 years old are light years beyond where a 6 or 7-year-old would start at in beginner lessons. BUT that is probably because I am quite choosy about which students I accept. Believe me, I have told quite a few parents that their young child is not ready for lessons, even though they strongly disagree and push for lessons. I learned early on how to spot the ones who will not do well. I always tell them they are welcome to try the local music school, which takes any 3-year-old that comes along, with disastrous results most of the time! But in my experience, careful selection breeds some very talented young musicians in the ages 3-5 category! In fact, I just had my winter recitals, and I had about 10 guests come up with their young children afterward asking me to teach them, because they saw other 4-year-olds reading music on the grand staff, pedaling, playing legato/staccato, etc. I also think it takes a special type of teacher to teach ages 3-5...not everyone is cut out for the immense patience it requires LOL!

Vivin - Wow! Your son sounds a lot like one of my little prodigies. She started at 3.5 and within one year completed the entire Music for Little Mozarts 4-level series and has moved on to Piano Adventures Level 2. She is playing hands together in a variety of positions and is extremely musical. She also comes to class each week and shows me songs she "figured out" by ear, usually from TV shows and movies. Her mom is always saying how she is so thankful that she took the plunge and started her in lessons so early...what a waste it would have been to start her 4 years later! I think if your son is very musically inclined and is already reading and catching onto complex concepts well, that he will probably do very well in piano, depending on his teacher of course. Please keep in touch and let us know how it's going!!

#1336480 - 12/29/09 05:30 PM Re: found a teacher for my 3 year old [Re: PianoKitty]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Originally Posted By: PianoKitty
Her mom is always saying...what a waste it would have been to start her 4 years later!
I have to take issue with this statement by the mother. It is not necessarily so that it would have been a "waste". It all depends what was done with the time in terms of musical experiences, awareness, and development of concepts. Time taken to really develop these is never wasted, in my opinion.

(I'm not denying there are some children who do very well starting formal lessons at 3, but I don't think too many would disagree with me when I say that they are the exception.)

#1336615 - 12/29/09 09:49 PM Re: found a teacher for my 3 year old [Re: currawong]
PianoKitty Offline

Currawong, I think what her mom is trying to say is that she had reservations about starting her so young, mainly because other teachers in the area flat-out refused to take a child her age without even a phone evaluation (that is something that I take issue with, but that's a whole other story =) ), but now that she sees how musically talented her child is (she wowed the audience at the last recital!), she is extremely pleased with her decision to take the plunge and try it out. Otherwise, if she had listened to all the nay-sayers (who didn't even bother to meet her child), she would have gone the next 4 years or so not knowing how talented her child is and how much musical promise she has. Within 1 year, she has accomplished a tremendous amount...imagine where she will be 3 years from now! Instead of starting at the beginning at that age, she will likely be in level 3 or higher by then. If she had believed all the other teachers who told her (sight unseen) that her daughter was too young, they never would have known how talented she is, until much, much later. I do think that would have been a great waste, in this particular case. You would have to know this student to see what I mean. She can fully handle everything that comes her way musically - she did not need further time to "develop" before learning musical concepts - she is performing extremely well.

I agree that it takes a special type of young child to excel in piano lessons, which is why I don't take them all. I would be in the loony bin by now if I did LOL. Unfortunately, I think a lot of parents overestimate their child's abilities at that age, which is why an experienced teacher's evaluation is so important. Having worked with this age group for some time now, I know what to look for and what the red flags are that the child is not ready.

I happen to take issue with teachers who flat-out say that any child under the age of 7 or 8 should not be taught under any circumstances. I am living proof that, with careful selection and evaluation standards, children ages 3.5 - 6 can learn piano very well! Now, most teachers may not have the patience or abilities to deal with this age group, so I don't think every teacher should teach very young children. But to say that no one should teach those children is going a bit overboard IMO, especially since I have seen children as young as 3.5 do extremely well at piano.

#1336630 - 12/29/09 10:12 PM Re: found a teacher for my 3 year old [Re: PianoKitty]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

...she would have gone the next 4 years or so not knowing how talented her child is and how much musical promise she has...
Maybe, maybe not. Playing the piano is not the only way talent shows itself.
..she did not need further time to "develop" before learning musical concepts - she is performing extremely well.
I'm sure she is, from what you describe. I'm just saying that there's more to being musical than performing ability.
I happen to take issue with teachers who flat-out say that any child under the age of 7 or 8 should not be taught under any circumstances... to say that no one should teach those children is going a bit overboard IMO, especially since I have seen children as young as 3.5 do extremely well at piano.
And of course I never did say that. I think if a teacher is trained and able to teach at that level then there is much that can be done. But, as I also said, this child is the exception rather than the "rule", not that I'm saying there's a "rule" smile

I'm not arguing with you, PianoKitty, really smile . I'm just pointing out that there's more to musical ability than technical fluency on an instrument, and time spent on other things is by no means "wasted".

#1336633 - 12/29/09 10:15 PM Re: found a teacher for my 3 year old [Re: PianoKitty]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Currawong, I think what her mom is trying to say is that she had reservations about starting her so young, mainly because other teachers in the area flat-out refused to take a child her age without even a phone evaluation (that is something that I take issue with, but that's a whole other story =) )...
Actually, I think if these teachers are not trained in teaching young children, or comfortable doing so, then they did the right thing in refusing to take her. Would you want a gifted small child taught by someone who can only think of dealing with her exactly in the same way he/she would deal with a 10-year-old?? I wouldn't.

#1336640 - 12/29/09 10:22 PM Re: found a teacher for my 3 year old [Re: currawong]
PianoKitty Offline

Currawong, I wasn't referring to you saying that - sorry if it came across that way! I just mean that there are a lot of teachers in general that scoff at a child that young being able to learn anything (and they are very, very vocal about this), and that is what I take issue with. Not that you said that yourself, which you didn't. =)

I do agree with you that children with such musical talent at 4 years old are not common LOL! The student I was referring to is one of my little prodigies. But I have taught plenty of 4-year-olds that were not prodigies, but were good in their own right - able to learn to read music and play piano just fine. And the most important thing is that they ENJOYED it! And so did their families! I think so often that we forget that piano is supposed to be fun, and personally I like to impart that joy to as many people as I can. =)

#1336645 - 12/29/09 10:29 PM Re: found a teacher for my 3 year old [Re: currawong]
PianoKitty Offline

Originally Posted By: currawong
Actually, I think if these teachers are not trained in teaching young children, or comfortable doing so, then they did the right thing in refusing to take her. Would you want a gifted small child taught by someone who can only think of dealing with her exactly in the same way he/she would deal with a 10-year-old?? I wouldn't.

I completely agree with you!! That's what I was saying here...

Now, most teachers may not have the patience or abilities to deal with this age group, so I don't think every teacher should teach very young children. But to say that no one should teach those children is going a bit overboard IMO.

I know plenty of teachers who would have done more harm than good to the students I was referring to, possibly ruining their perception and enjoyment of piano forever! Not everyone is cut out to teach young children, definitely!

What I was taking issue with in that post is the teachers who refuse to believe that any young children are able to learn piano at all; they live by the hard-and-fast rule that no child under the age of 7 or 8 should be taught by ANYONE, not just themselves. That's what I take issue with. There are some of us who not only enjoy teaching young kids, but happen to be good at it and produce great results. grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!

Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
So when someone offers you a free piano you........
by Dennis R in WA
Today at 03:29 PM
Technique for embellishments (1-5-3 roll)
by DeadPoets
Today at 03:09 PM
Mason Hamlin AA Vs Schimmel Classic C189
by blueeyes2014
Today at 02:29 PM
Accelerating learning; iPad, apps, & my digital piano p105
by megabyzus
Today at 01:27 PM
A piano is a "value proposition".
by turandot
Today at 12:38 PM
Forum Stats
77074 Members
42 Forums
159422 Topics
2341896 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission