Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1331356 - 12/22/09 10:14 AM MIDI question - passing between software
TimR Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
My apologies if this has been discussed. I tried a search but didn't find it.

There is a program called Tapper that will open a MIDI file and play each note upon keypress. I'm sure there are other similar programs. This lets you vary the tempo in real time. (every time I hit a key, the software automatically plays the next note from the midi file.)

What I want to do is open a MIDI file with that program, and play it into another program like Hauptwerk for organ sounds, or maybe harpsichord, etc.

How do I pass MIDI into another program? Any good website explaining this?

thanks,

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1331437 - 12/22/09 11:32 AM Re: MIDI question - passing between software [Re: TimR]
setchman Offline

Here's a program that might work for you.

LoopBe1

I haven't used it in a while so I'm not as familiar with its use as I used to be but I remember it working for me at the time.

#1331529 - 12/22/09 01:28 PM Re: MIDI question - passing between software [Re: TimR]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
The way this is commonly done is not as you describe. Typically there will be some MIDI recording and editing software. Typically this same software will also allow you to record and edit audio files too. Then after opening a MIDI files you "assign" an instrument to it, say an organ or piano or saxophone. Then you hit "play" and you can hear it. Editors will have ways to adjust the tempo, either you type in a number of beats per minute or "tap tempo" on a space bar or as you described, one note per step.

What you want is some kind of unifying editor/recorder rather than a ba-zillion little one purpose programs.

Modern recording studios are build around this kind of software but now even most home users are working this way too. Cost is anywhere from free for five figures.

#1331702 - 12/22/09 05:15 PM Re: MIDI question - passing between software [Re: ChrisA]
TimR Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Here's an example of what I'm trying to do, though I don't actually need the animation graphics software.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVadl4ocX0M

This the little Fugue in G minor, which appears to be MIDI sent through the "conductor" program into a program that emulates a sampled Post fortepiano.

I don't have to do it this way if there's a better one. But MIDI programs and this conductor program are very small in memory size.

#1331757 - 12/22/09 06:32 PM Re: MIDI question - passing between software [Re: TimR]
dannac Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Do a google search on Piano Booster or Synthesia.

#1332334 - 12/23/09 12:51 PM Re: MIDI question - passing between software [Re: dannac]
setchman Offline

TimR,

I was wondering if you got Tapper set up to work with Hauptwerk? I was browsing around Hauptwerk's website and noticed that both the installation manual and the user's guide specifically mention the use of LoopBe1 as a way to connect sequencers that don't accept VST plugins, like Tapper, to Hauptwerk.

In the user's guide under "Quick Start: MIDI sequencing configuration" it lists step-by-step instructions for setting up the LoopBe driver within Hauptwerk.

It might be worth looking into if you're still wanting to use both Tapper and Hauptwerk together.

#1332439 - 12/23/09 03:00 PM Re: MIDI question - passing between software [Re: setchman]
TimR Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the advice. I have not tried the loopB software but now that you explain it I think it's worth a shot.

I did confirm that the Tapper software is not designed to pass MIDI except in the most basic way. It was written as an experiment, not intended as full featured software (and it does work pretty well.)

There is a workaround - use two laptops. Run Tapper on one, an old slow one, and Hauptwerk on the other. Connect the two via MIDI cable. Should work. But I want to try your idea first.

#1332458 - 12/23/09 03:29 PM Re: MIDI question - passing between software [Re: TimR]
setchman Offline

I played with Tapper a little bit and had no problem sending the MIDI performance to another host with a instrument loaded, specifically, VSTHost with a piano VSTi loaded. Just for grins I downloaded the demo of Haupterk and was also able to get Tapper to play the MIDI file in Hauptwerk.

The only problem I had was that Hauptwerk has some complex MIDI setup depending on your keyboard/pedal configuration and Tapper only sends the data over on a single MIDI channel. As a result, I couldn't get all of the organ parts to play but since you are more familiar with Hauptwerk than I am, you might know how to set up the MIDI input better.

The fact that Tapper only sends its data out on one channel at a time might be the only issue you have with setting up the programs to work with each other. I know that Tapper has some specific functionality that you may be wanting to use but, as ChrisA alluded to, there may be a more elegant solution using a more powerful MIDI recording/editor program.

#1332490 - 12/23/09 04:00 PM Re: MIDI question - passing between software [Re: setchman]
TimR Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: setchman
I played with Tapper a little bit and had no problem sending the MIDI performance to another host with a instrument loaded, specifically, VSTHost with a piano VSTi loaded. Just for grins I downloaded the demo of Haupterk and was also able to get Tapper to play the MIDI file in Hauptwerk.

I don't know how you did that. I downloaded LoopBone and had no luck. I used Miditizer instead of Hauptwerk because I'm low on memory. Tapper did see loop as a MIDI device, but didn't seem to send anything out. I emailed the author and he had not put this function in it.

I don't know VST stuff at all.

#1332511 - 12/23/09 04:38 PM Re: MIDI question - passing between software [Re: TimR]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: TimR

I don't know VST stuff at all.

That is the root of your problem.

Today this class of audio and midi software all use a common standardized architecture so that is play well together. VST and AU are the names of types of standard components that can plug into midi and recording software.

No offence meant but it would appear that you are complaining about telephone operators not speaking the same language and therefore notable to route a long distance call for you -- in an age where everyone direct dials.

What you want to do is very easy if you were working inside any of the modern frameworks such as Protools, Logic, Cubase,.... Conceptually they all work the same: You make some number of "tracks" and then assign "channel strips" to the inputs and output of the tracks. A strip is a chain of equipment. What you have is a simulation of a studio full of equipment and some patch cables. Now that the world seems to be settled of only a few standard interfaces (VST being the prime example) it all (mostly) "just works"

To learn about the new world of recording, Focal Press is a great publisher. macprovidio.com has many great video tutorials

#1332907 - 12/24/09 09:05 AM Re: MIDI question - passing between software [Re: ChrisA]
setchman Offline

TimR, I didn't mean to add to the confusion by mentioning VSTs since that's not necessarily relevant to getting Tapper to talk to Hauptwerk or Miditzer. We can all agree that there are probably better solutions for working with MIDI data/files and VSTs using a more powerful DAW but if you are going to use specific programs like Tapper and Miditzer, then there are very few options available in order for you to get them to work together.

Tapper and Miditzer are very unique programs that can't be used within a traditional DAW program. Both of these programs are stand-alone executables. Because Tapper can only send MIDI data out and not load a VST instrument and Miditzer cannot be loaded into a DAW as a VST, the only way to get these two programs to work together is with a program like LoopBe1. This is exactly the situation that LoopBe1 was created for whether it's the ideal solution or not.

TimR, make sure that under the "Miditzer Settings" - "Input" you have "LoopBe Internal MIDI" selected as the "Active MIDI input device". You may have to close and then re-open the program for the settings to take effect but as long as Tapper's "midiOut" is set to "LoopBe Internal MIDI" and Miditzer's input is set to the same, everything should work.

At some point in time it may be worth looking into more robust programs that provide this kind of functionality all in one place but if all you want to do for now is to get these two specific programs to work together, I hope this solution works for you.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
147 registered (Alex-SapRenovation, ando, accordeur, Al LaPorte, 41 invisible), 1909 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75574 Members
42 Forums
156262 Topics
2294832 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Proper chunking method
by Edtek
07/29/14 03:10 PM
Lamp for Piano
by DancerJ
07/29/14 03:08 PM
Sonatina in G
by Ritzycat
07/29/14 03:06 PM
schulze pollmann upright piano SP-114/p4
by how0425
07/29/14 03:01 PM
Looking for my next piece
by Mallory
07/29/14 02:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission