Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
65 registered (Amosdoll, AndrewJCW, ando, Ashton M., Anticlock, 15 invisible), 942 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Topic Options
#1331372 - 12/22/09 10:28 AM Baldwin Acrosonic or Kimball Artist Console?
sherlockjr Offline

Hi, all. Great website! I'm very new to pianos and don't play myself, but I'd like to have my 9 and 6 years learn how to play. I've been learning as much as I can as quickly as possible, and I've narrowed my decision down to two:

- A 1973 Kimball Artist Console from a reputable dealer in the Chicago area for $1100, including delivering and tuning the piano.

- A Baldwin Acrosonic from the 70s for $850 from a private individual through Craigslist. I'd have to pay for moving and tuning on top of the price, but it looks like it's in good shape and has been in this woman's home for 26 years and was tuned a year ago.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Hailun / Pearl River Pianos

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1331420 - 12/22/09 11:18 AM Re: Baldwin Acrosonic or Kimball Artist Console? [Re: sherlockjr]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
I would go with the Kimball, but the price of both pianos is more than I would pay.
This is better than both of them, for instance.

#1331430 - 12/22/09 11:27 AM Re: Baldwin Acrosonic or Kimball Artist Console? [Re: BDB]
sherlockjr Offline

Thanks for the reply. Do you reference that Valparaiso piano just as an example, or do you know for a fact that it's good? Is it good enough for me to drive down to Valparaiso from Chicago to buy it? Thanks!

#1331448 - 12/22/09 11:46 AM Re: Baldwin Acrosonic or Kimball Artist Console? [Re: sherlockjr]
BDB Online   content

I am a couple of thousand miles away, so I have no personal knowledge of that piano, nor how far it is from you. It is an example. Whether it is worth checking out personally is up to you.

#1331480 - 12/22/09 12:25 PM Re: Baldwin Acrosonic or Kimball Artist Console? [Re: BDB]
sherlockjr Offline

Got it. Thanks for the clarification. Also, do you know if there were certain years (or eras) that were better for the Acrosonic than others? Thanks again.

#1331503 - 12/22/09 12:57 PM Re: Baldwin Acrosonic or Kimball Artist Console? [Re: sherlockjr]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
What I took from the ad BDB posted was that it's an example of an instrument that's probably intrinsically better than either one you're considering, at a more attractive price, and in your general region.

As to that specific piano in Valparaiso, though, the fact that it was used in a church setting is a potential red flag to me. That generally means no indoor climate control on most days of the week, and the consequent fluctuations in heat and humidity create a dodgy environment for a piano.

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

#1331504 - 12/22/09 12:59 PM Re: Baldwin Acrosonic or Kimball Artist Console? [Re: sotto voce]
sherlockjr Offline

Thanks, Sotto. Putting price aside (given they may both be overpriced), what's your feeling about the Acrosonic vs. the Kimall? Most people on this forum seem to be be big fans of the Acrosonic, and the Kimball doesn't seem to get a lot of love. BDB seems to be in the minority on this position... so I'm really torn and confused (and probably overthinking it). Thanks!

#1331510 - 12/22/09 01:11 PM Re: Baldwin Acrosonic or Kimball Artist Console? [Re: sherlockjr]
BDB Online   content

Most Acrosonics have spinet actions, which are much more difficult to repair, especially the last ones, which are from the 1970s. If anything goes wrong with them, you are looking at about 4-5 times as much for minor repairs. This is an issue with older pianos. I had one with a broken hammer shank last week, which would have been about $25 on a Kimball console, but was over $100 on the Acrosonic.

My advice is to wait until something better comes along.

#1331889 - 12/22/09 09:59 PM Re: Baldwin Acrosonic or Kimball Artist Console? [Re: BDB]
R Newton Offline

Loc: North Texas
I think Baldwin has made both spinets and consoles, at various times, with the Acrosonic name. If it were a console with a direct-blow action, in good condition, it might be acceptable at that price. But I think BDB is right about the seventies models having the spinet actions, in which case I would want to pay less.

I personally have never liked the sound of a Kimball, but others will say it is fine for a console. You'll have to judge that aspect for yourself.

My experience is that if you keep looking, eventually you will do a lot better than "acceptable" and find a great value. Just have to have the patience to endure the journey!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad) Teaching Music To Children
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tours
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Blues Piano Listening Suggestions Please (no vocals)
by tangleweeds
08/03/15 01:43 AM
Hot Stuff CA Glue Should Come as Single Use Tubes....
by Musicdude
08/02/15 10:26 PM
Homeless guy plays piano...
by Retsacnal
08/02/15 10:11 PM
Piano in basement room
by Jasper82
08/02/15 08:55 PM
Need advice on recording with Zoom H2
by twocats
08/02/15 08:03 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
80,235 Registered Members
44 Forums
165,948 Topics
2,432,406 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission