Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1331547 - 12/22/09 01:51 PM Ballpark value for unrestored Bechstein model 9
jaystainbrook Offline

Hi, looking at a Bechstein model 9 upright on craigslist. It's unrestored but in very nice condition. Hundred years old. Sounds pretty good and plays surprisingly good. Doesn't play like it's been neglected. What are these worth? Anybody want to take an unseen crack at a reasonable offer? Hoping for a super cheap "extra" piano.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1331554 - 12/22/09 02:04 PM Re: Ballpark value for unrestored Bechstein model 9 [Re: jaystainbrook]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
I think it depends on finer details than you gave. Even being as good as it is, it could still be almost "worthless" (because of the extensive work that might be needed, plus of course the buyer has to move it). Or, it could be worth several hundred dollars, or I suppose even more.

Other people will be able to give you more knowledgeable answers than I can. But I don't think that even the most knowledgeable person will be able to pin it down that much without "examining" the piano.

#1331558 - 12/22/09 02:10 PM Re: Ballpark value for unrestored Bechstein model 9 [Re: Mark_C]
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

A 100 year old "core" upright that is relatively rare (low market demand) in the U.S. Very expensive to rebuild to be a useful musical instrument again. Difficult to ever resell at a price that recoup a portion of your rebuild expense. IMO, less than $2k, maybe in the hundreds.

#1331566 - 12/22/09 02:23 PM Re: Ballpark value for unrestored Bechstein model 9 [Re: Marty Flinn]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Marty Flinn
.....IMO, less than $2k, maybe in the hundreds.

....or zero? Doesn't it depend heavily on the exact condition?

Obviously you're one of the "more knowledgeable" people I was talking about. You're one of our experts. You seem to be implying that it's confidently worth at least a few hundred dollars. If so, that would be very valuable info here.

But do you really mean that?

#1331568 - 12/22/09 02:33 PM Re: Ballpark value for unrestored Bechstein model 9 [Re: Mark_C]
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Absolutely could be worth zero. There are a few Bechstein adicts afficianados who will always pay a little more than market value just because it is a Bechstein, just as there are folks who pay thousands for those old Vienesse style Bosendorfers with the leather covered hammers.

Edited by Marty Flinn (12/22/09 02:34 PM)

#1331860 - 12/22/09 09:27 PM Re: Ballpark value for unrestored Bechstein model 9 [Re: Marty Flinn]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Marty Flinn
Absolutely could be worth zero. There are a few Bechstein adicts afficianados who will always pay a little more than market value just because it is a Bechstein, just as there are folks who pay thousands for those old Vienesse style Bosendorfers with the leather covered hammers.

Thanks -- that's about what I thought. BTW I didn't fail to realize that in a way it couldn't exactly be worth "zero" because somewhere there's gotta be somebody to whom a piano like that is going to be worth "something" as long as it plays half decently, which this one does. But when you take into account that a given seller might not find such a buyer for quite some time, we could be talking almost zero.

P.S. Thanks for not taking any offense at my post. I was afraid it might seem like I was challenging you or something (and if I'd been near the computer I would have edited it). I was just trying to clarify, and it looks like you got it.

My main point here -- and I should have been clearer about it, so let me do it now: IMO it's really important to get a piano like that checked out by an independent technician.

#1331867 - 12/22/09 09:35 PM Re: Ballpark value for unrestored Bechstein model 9 [Re: Mark_C]
Rich D. Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rehoboth Beach De. USA
Used Bechstein uprights are very rare and at there best can be wonderful. A couple of years back I found a 20 year old C.Bechstein 8 in excellent condition in the 7K range and would not sell it now for twice that. If it were me I would certainly have a tech check out the upright and go from there.

Rich

"Life is like a piano....what you get out of it depends on how you play it"
Anonymous

#1331876 - 12/22/09 09:48 PM Re: Ballpark value for unrestored Bechstein model 9 [Re: Rich D.]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Rich D.
Used Bechstein uprights are very rare and at there best can be wonderful. A couple of years back I found a 20 year old C.Bechstein 8 in excellent condition in the 7K range and would not sell it now for twice that. If it were me I would certainly have a tech check out the upright and go from there....

Sounds like you did great, and that it turned out the piano was a bargain at that price even though it wasn't cheap. Of course there's a big difference in how you have to think about a 100 year old piano and a 20 year old piano.

But either way, I think it's worth the "trouble" of having an independent tech check it out. As long as someone does that, they ought to be fine.

P.S. I must be sounding like I'm a piano technician who's trying to get people to give business to my profession.
But I'm not. smile

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
160 registered (accordeur, 36251, 51 invisible), 1803 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74230 Members
42 Forums
153548 Topics
2250367 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Spinoff: What do we think of "technique seminars"?
by TwoSnowflakes
04/18/14 02:46 PM
Questions about Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 2 in D Flat Minor
by noobpianist90
04/18/14 01:51 PM
A new performance experience... Need advice.
by Svenno
04/18/14 01:46 PM
Thoughts on the Yamaha P-255
by voxpops
04/18/14 01:17 PM
Piano Learning Myths...
by evamar
04/18/14 12:32 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission