Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1332274 - 12/23/09 11:27 AM Harpsichord and other voices for DPs, software
dadof5 Offline

I have read a few topics on this forum that describe the complex sampling and modeling of piano sounds that go into the better DPs and software pianos. Much of the effort seems to be focused solely on the piano voice. What about other voices that are provided in some DPs and software pianos (SPs ??) such as harpsichord, clavichord, organ, even celesta, etc.? Is as much effort and detail devoted to those? What products do you think do a good job at this if any?

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1332296 - 12/23/09 11:57 AM Re: Harpsichord and other voices for DPs, software [Re: dadof5]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: dadof5
I have read a few topics on this forum that describe the complex sampling and modeling of piano sounds that go into the better DPs and software pianos. Much of the effort seems to be focused solely on the piano voice. What about other voices that are provided in some DPs and software pianos (SPs ??) such as harpsichord, clavichord, organ, even celesta, etc.? Is as much effort and detail devoted to those? What products do you think do a good job at this if any?

Have you seen the videos on the new Yamaha CP1? The Yamaha guy does explain that they have put a lot of work in the Rhodes electric piano and even can model a certain adjustment screw you can make on the rhodes hammers. This implies a LOT of work as the adustment is not simply "bright/mellow" but aim point for a physical hammer. Most of the video covers non-piano sounds and I think that is what is mostly used in the real-world too.

I have a sample library of orchestra instruments and at least in the user manual they claim to have taken great care in sampling woodwinds and strings and even drums and they explain the process somewhat. It sounds about the same as is used with pianos.

#1332426 - 12/23/09 02:46 PM Re: Harpsichord and other voices for DPs, software [Re: ChrisA]
BazC Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Cambridgeshire, UK
Pianoteq has a nice range of instruments some included in the basic package some you have to purchase as add-ons.

Pianos!
Pianoforte (5 different modelled on real instruments from 1790 to 1826)
Harpsichord (1733 Blanchet and 1697 Grimaldi)
Cimbalom!
Rhodes and Wurlitzer E Pianos (additional purchase)
Two different Vibraphones (additional purchase)
Yamaha Electric Grand CP-80
Bells

I'm sure there's more to come too!

Korg SP200, Pianoteq

#1332465 - 12/23/09 03:33 PM Re: Harpsichord and other voices for DPs, software [Re: BazC]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
The harpsichord samples in the Yamaha P-120 and P-155 (and probably P-140) are fantastic. The key-off samples where the plectrum returns rest, picking the damped string really add to the realism.

#1332496 - 12/23/09 04:06 PM Re: Harpsichord and other voices for DPs, software [Re: dewster]
ROMagister Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bucuresti, Romania
I tested the one generic 'pipe organ' voice of a Yamaha Arius YDP-140 and was not impressed. Sounded not bad in mid-pitches, a 'Principals chorus' like you would hear in performances of Bach etc. but with a spectrum too 'symmetrical up and down in octaves' (16',8',4',2'...) and weak speakers in bass (low efficiency of sounding fundamental) made, say, D1 hard to distinguish from D2, D2 from D3 etc. Really your ear would rely on upper harmonics to sense the pitch.

Also, the reverb seemed too long and dependent on pitch (a reasonable ~0.4 second in C4 but 0.8 second in C3 and ~1.5 second in C2)- meaning it is really ONE sample just played faster or slower.

So it's a minimal-effort addition, not a main focus of design interest.

My cheap Casio 61-key has better organ sounds (in respect to above considerations) and much more choices. Still weaker speakers in bass, but what to expect from a flat box?

#1332522 - 12/23/09 04:56 PM Re: Harpsichord and other voices for DPs, software [Re: ROMagister]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: ROMagister
I tested the one generic 'pipe organ' voice of a Yamaha Arius YDP-140 and was not impressed.

I tried an experiment in my garage a while back. I patched an older Roland synth into the audio section of a 1950's vintage Hammond organ. I found the input to the final pre-amplifier section on the Hammond and connected wires to it and the "L+R" mono output of the Roland.

No surprise at all that the sound coming from Hammond tube based amp and large speakers was 100 times better than when using those little Roland internal speakers.

So, I think that the sound samples inside the DP might be very good but the audio section of most DPs is not up to the task not even close.

One of my current projects now is to build a sound system for a DP using a bunch of salvaged Hammond parts from organs I get free or $50 from Craig's list. I hate to cut up these old instruments but they are not economically repairable and at least I re-use the parts, even the lumber.

#1332528 - 12/23/09 05:05 PM Re: Harpsichord and other voices for DPs, software [Re: ChrisA]
snazzyplayer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Earth
Try a Logitech Z-2300 system on your digital piano (yes, guys, I know I'm always recommending this system, but it rocks!) and you'll notice a big difference in the pipe organ sounds in your digital piano.

You need a sub woofer to get those rumbling low notes, and the Logitech is well up to the task.

For a system under $200, it has proven to be excellent for amplifying digital pianos and arranger keyboards.

You know, when you think of it, we are actually "playing the speakers" as they are the last link in the chain.

Snazzy

#1335245 - 12/28/09 07:08 AM Re: Harpsichord and other voices for DPs, software [Re: snazzyplayer]
Camreals Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I used a Rodgers C-100, with organ and harpsichord samples on supplementary card, quite happily for many years. I thought about Roland's C-30 and earlier electronic harpsichord incarnations, but (as I have posted elsewhere), I had to rule these out because none of them possess a top F sharp and G. Both notes are essential for Scarlatti and Rameau. Harpsichord sounds from Yamaha and Roland DPs are feeble, tinkly, one-dimensional and (take it from me) historically incorrect. I've heard no electronic harpsicord sounds with the stunning immediacy, with rich bass and singing treble, that I get from my real late Florentine harpsichord (made by Malcolm Rose). Having said that, I must say that I was impressed by Pianoteq's Grimaldi and Blanchet. Pianoteq will also give you a Walter fortepiano for Mozart and Conrad Graf for Schubert. I haven't the space or the £25K minimum recquired for actual acoustic reconstructions, and so, like you, I'm considering buying a stage piano, Pianoteq3 and laptop to play late classical and early romantic piano music. I've spent much of the holiday studying posts on this and Pianoteq's forum and have ended up totally confused by all the techno jargon and in seven different minds about what to buy. I'm preparing a separate post asking for further advice.

#1335264 - 12/28/09 07:45 AM Re: Harpsichord and other voices for DPs, software [Re: Camreals]
Ángel Santana Offline

Loc: Gran Canaria (Spain)

Hi.

I agree about the amplifiers and speakers. My Kawai CN32 reproduces a very realistic drawbar organ sounds, even you can "control" the rotor speed with the unicorda pedal (really, yo can only switch between faster or slower). This kind of sounds are very complex (I've played on a Yamaha PSR-E413 for the last year, not the best rival), so you can take a perfect sample, but if you reproduce it on a plastic speakers you get only a signal with a lot of noise and distortion.

I'm guitarrist, and I've been always looking for the perfect sound, even a sound I like today can be horrible tomorrow.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
103 registered (3rd Ear, ado, AndreiN, Adam Coleman, ADWyatt, 31 invisible), 1190 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153538 Topics
2250066 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
2014 Bradshaw and Buono Piano Competition
by hsheck
Today at 01:21 AM
What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
by That Tooner
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Kawai vs Ritmuller
by cromax
Yesterday at 11:08 PM
Considering going into debt for a Steinway grand
by joonsang
Yesterday at 10:38 PM
Best Glue for Damper Pads
by JMichaelWilson
Yesterday at 10:07 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission