Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1330188 - 12/20/09 09:17 PM Lenght of lessons
WeatherTheLizard Offline

Loc: NY, US
Are 30 minute lessons sufficient? I've never had piano lessons, but am self taught, playing as long as I can remember, yet not great by any means...

I guess I could start off with 30 minute lessons, then bump them up to an hour if I'm not satisfied. But at the same time... I feel the idea of the additional cost would make me content with the 30 minute lessons.

Any advice would be great.

Kimball 4520, Yamaha CP70-B, Yamaha PSR-150

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1330680 - 12/21/09 01:13 PM Re: Lenght of lessons [Re: WeatherTheLizard]
trillingadventurer Offline

Loc: San Diego
Start with 30 and see how it goes. If there is a rushed feeling then you need more time. Does this teacher do 45 minutes? That might be perfect.

#1330947 - 12/21/09 07:42 PM Re: Lenght of lessons [Re: trillingadventurer]
WeatherTheLizard Offline

Thank you for responding. I posted to another board and people seem to think 30 mins is best as well. Not sure if he does 45 mins, but I will ask should I feel the 30 mins isn't sufficient.

#1331042 - 12/21/09 09:40 PM Re: Lenght of lessons [Re: WeatherTheLizard]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I find for most of my adult students that 30 minutes is never enough, even for beginner adults. 45 minutes is good if the teacher offers it, otherwise an hour certainly won't go to waste.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1331301 - 12/22/09 09:02 AM Re: Lenght of lessons [Re: Morodiene]
Lollipop Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia
The last teacher my son took from - a very high level teacher, laughed when I asked her if it would be a 30 mintue or 60 minutes lesson. "He won't be able to handle more than 30 minutes of me!" She was right. She moved the lessons along quickly, crammed a lot in, and they accomplished an amazing amount in 30 minutes.

As I've mentioned before, piano was not his primary instrument, and it was all he could do to keep up with what she was giving him in half an hour. But I believe that even with her most serious students, she only did 30 minutes. She is probably the most respected teacher among other teachers here in the area, and teaches many of the top students.

I've found that on the occasion that I teach a longer lesson - perhaps because I'm making up a missed lesson at the same time - I have to slow down, repeat pieces a lot more, do flashcards and more theory and such. My students (all beginners) don't have enough attention to work hard on music for 60 minutes straight. (Some of my more distractable students could do with more time, but that would be punishing me.)

#1331337 - 12/22/09 09:46 AM Re: Lenght of lessons [Re: Lollipop]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I find that when we get to intermediate levels of playing it's very hard to get through everything they're working on. Many of these students have interests in composing and/or playing jazz, and so there's supplemental things we do on top of that. In a 30 minute lesson for these kids, I'm always rushing through and I still don't get to hear everything they've worked on. That extra 15 minutes gives me time to cover details that I would otherwise have to gloss over.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1331476 - 12/22/09 12:24 PM Re: Lenght of lessons [Re: Morodiene]
Roxy Offline

Loc: Whittier, Calif
30 min lessons are standard but it depends on how much practice you are going to put in. If you are going to put in a lot than more can be covered at the lesson and you would need more time, 45 min. or an hour. 30 min or hour or 45 min is never a waste of money if you have the correct teacher and are improving.

#1331963 - 12/22/09 11:36 PM Re: Lenght of lessons [Re: Roxy]
WeatherTheLizard Offline

Thanks for all the responses. I've decided to go with 60 mins to start with. He needs to see where I am and I don't know how he is, etc, etc. Plus, the idea of 30 minutes seems too short to me. But I like the idea of 45 mins... If I feel it's too much, I'll probably drop it down to that.

#1332054 - 12/23/09 03:24 AM Re: Lenght of lessons [Re: WeatherTheLizard]
AZNpiano Online   sleepy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: WeatherTheLizard
Thanks for all the responses. I've decided to go with 60 mins to start with.

Good call!

30 minutes is too short to get anything accomplished.

Best of luck to your lessons!

#1332284 - 12/23/09 11:42 AM Re: Lenght of lessons [Re: AZNpiano]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
+1

1/2 hour lessons are a monumental waste of your money and time. Most of my lessons are 50 min, right from day one, unless the parents/students indicate there might be tight financial concerns, then we down-size, with the understanding that in the long run, they are paying more.

#1332456 - 12/23/09 03:20 PM Re: Lenght of lessons [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
I want my adult students to have an hour lesson. How we use it will depend on where they are musically, how fast and how far we can accelerate levels, and how much remedial work might be needed. I want time for building in some additional knowledge besides the music assignment itself: music theory, music appreciation, composer eras and characteristice, time for touch and technique, scales, chords, arpeggios and movement studies to help the physical development of the student. Time to talk to each other and plan and assess the music choices as to contents and difficulty factors. Time to learn how to practice.

Lessons of 30 minutes give you about 20+ hours of lessons per year. An hour will give you 40+ hours of support and forward motion to reaching your goals.

It doesn't seem like a lot, but combined with the students efforts at home of about 3 - 5 hours of practice as a minimum for an adult student on their piano, it is enough to make good progress and to be working toward establishing good musicianship skills.

As someone who has been teaching yourself, don't be discouraged if there are places where you teacher wants to review or even reconstruct. This is what you are paying him or her for - their intelligence and guidance - do not think of it as an attack to your ego. It isn't. Don't think of it as a waste of time, it isn't.

Being able to take instruction from your teacher is in your ball park. When you hear yourself saying negative things, you must turn that around to find the positive of what is being asked of you. There are certain mind sets that do incredibly well with piano study, and cooperation and collaboration for an adult student and the teacher is way up there in desirability.

So be that kind of a student, you won't regret it. Communicate with the teacher, don't try to hide problems or things you are not understanding. Lessons may take weeks to master, and things may have to be repeated many times before it clicks into being.

Patience. Self discipline. Perseverance.

Sometimes, a teacher offer the hour lesson at a reduced rate. I do that to encourage people to take the hour because we can do so much more given ample time in which to do it. Half hour lessons always seem to cut you off in mid-sentence of something important.

Good luck!

Betty Patnude

#1332545 - 12/23/09 05:32 PM Re: Lenght of lessons [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: John v.d.Brook
+1

1/2 hour lessons are a monumental waste of your money and time. Most of my lessons are 50 min, right from day one, unless the parents/students indicate there might be tight financial concerns, then we down-size, with the understanding that in the long run, they are paying more.

Good to hear the thoughts of John, and betty, morodiene, azn. I think I have finally come to that realisation too, so it's good to hear that others have found the same. The longer lesson means faster progress, which leads to a momentum and excitement about piano which ensures a satisfying long term development. If there isn't time to do *all the other things besides obvious first priorities things can really drag for a student. And when it comes to even the easier exams, 1/2 hour a week is definitely not enough!
*not that i've ever managed to fit in all important things :-/

Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

#1332691 - 12/23/09 09:25 PM Re: Lenght of lessons [Re: Canonie]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
Interesting discussion. I teach 30 minute lessons to most of my adult students. It seems they are so busy that they aren't prepared to handle more than that. My younger students all have 45 minutes or an hour.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
168 registered (accordeur, ajames, Alex1, ando, 40 invisible), 1960 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75516 Members
42 Forums
156164 Topics
2293341 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Wow, early Arrau!
by Ian_G
21 minutes 19 seconds ago
Bored kid at Cosco..
by Norbert
46 minutes 12 seconds ago
Need help and advice please!
by Pover
47 minutes 45 seconds ago
Kawai K200
by Vidsin
Today at 02:46 PM
Medelssohn on meaning in music
by phantomFive
Today at 01:52 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission