Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1330809 - 12/21/09 04:37 PM Good piano for a beginner = PX-130 a good choice?
roflcopterrr Offline

I'm a semi-beginner to piano.. i've played before but that was years ago. I'm 16 years old, and I'm looking for a new piano to start playing. The PX-130 seems like a good choice, especially with kraft music's home essentials bundle.. do you guys think there are any better pianos I could get for around $700? Thanks!

Edited by roflcopterrr (12/21/09 04:42 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1330824 - 12/21/09 04:59 PM Re: Good piano for a beginner = PX-130 a good choice? [Re: roflcopterrr]
Huygens Offline

Loc: Sweden
Korg SP250 Extremely strong key action for the price. Some people says the sound is a bit weak outside the mid-range. Several voices. Has 2-level sampling. 1-pedal keyboard.
Casio CDP-200R Low price. Lots of synth sounds & accompaniments. Graded Hammer key action of light quality. 1-pedal stand.

#1330869 - 12/21/09 05:44 PM Re: Good piano for a beginner = PX-130 a good choice? [Re: Huygens]
snazzyplayer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Earth
I can recommend, from my own experience, the Yamaha P-85. Excellent 88 note graded hammer action, with great durability and feel.

Stereo sampled pianos, 64-Note polyphony, built-in song recorder and metronome, half damper effect when using the optional FC3 Pedal or the LP5 pedal unit.

There is an available L85 matching stand.

It includes PA150 Power Adaptor and a sustain pedal.

It has two headphone jacks, so you and a friend can play and listen in private.

I have two of them, and they are used quite a bit with no issues whatsoever.

Nice basic features like being able to layer two sounds, for example, the classic piano with strings, for a nice orchestral effect. There are a wide variety of other high-quality instrument voices, including electric pianos, organs, and harpsichord

The action is considered by many, to be not too light, but yet, not too heavy....a very nice compromise.

Comes in silver or black.

Snazzy

#1330893 - 12/21/09 06:20 PM Re: Good piano for a beginner = PX-130 a good choice? [Re: snazzyplayer]
Brian1963 Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
snazzy are you getting paid for your yamaha endorsements? I have a PX-130 and the action is a li'l stiff for my liking, so i might give the P85 a test drive when i visit GC next. And if i like i'll definitely return my casio & grab the p85. the 85 came out back in '07 and i was wondering if yamaha had a successor to the successful 85. I guess we shall see their offering @ NAMM next month.

#1330904 - 12/21/09 06:35 PM Re: Good piano for a beginner = PX-130 a good choice? [Re: Brian1963]
snazzyplayer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Earth
Originally Posted By: Brian1963
snazzy are you getting paid for your yamaha endorsements?

I wish I was, Brian, but so far, they haven't given me anything. cry

I'm of the belief, that it's best to recommend an instrument you actually have spent a good bit of time with and know if there any quirks or issues with the keys, speakers, clunks, clicks or whatever. wink

Only thing I really dislike about the P-85 is the stupid music rack they supply with it. Only really thin books like, "The Greatest Hit of Richard Harris", will fit on it, and if you play MacArthur Park with any kind of aggression, the book will slide off, just like the icing sliding off the cake he left out in the rain. wink

Otherwise, I found the action to be comfortable...yep, that's the word...comfortable.

How are the keys on your PX-130? There seems to be problems with some of them having wobbly keys. I haven't had one here long enough to test that out.

Snazzy

PS...I haven't heard anything about a P-85 replacement; I figure they'll just spring one on us, just like they sprung the new CP-series.

#1330911 - 12/21/09 06:45 PM Re: Good piano for a beginner = PX-130 a good choice? [Re: roflcopterrr]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: roflcopterrr
I'm a semi-beginner to piano.. i've played before but that was years ago. I'm 16 years old, and I'm looking for a new piano to start playing. The PX-130 seems like a good choice, especially with kraft music's home essentials bundle.. do you guys think there are any better pianos I could get for around $700? Thanks!

$700 is an akward price point.

If you like Casio's key action then $700 is way to much to spend on it as the PX130 discounts for $400. In the Yamaha line $700 is to much to spend on a "GHS" keyboard (the P85 is going for just over $500) and not enough to get you into a Yamaha "GH" based piano. Korg makes an SP250 but there are absolutly zero places to try one, so the korg may as well not exist. All of the Rolands cost more.

I guess what I'm saying is $700 in the no man's land between the $500 and $1000 price points. I'd suggest either spending less or more.

#1331574 - 12/22/09 02:38 PM Re: Good piano for a beginner = PX-130 a good choice? [Re: ChrisA]
Pianisti Offline

Go try 'em out and make a decision.

Personally I went with the PX130, but the P85 was an option too. I decided to buy the PX130 as P85 was not better in action IMO and more expensive, but it's really a matter of taste so there is no right or wrong choice.

I really can't say that the PX130 is great and anyone telling you that the P85 is great have not played a real grand or define the adjective "great" the same as "mediocre".

PX130 or P85 is a fair choice. I wouldn't invest in a more expensive DP unless doing some heavy gigging or other professional stuff.

#1331610 - 12/22/09 03:31 PM Re: Good piano for a beginner = PX-130 a good choice? [Re: Pianisti]
Brian1963 Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
I have a PX-130 and for the most part i'm happy with it. However, per my style i hit some keys almost @ the top up by the red felt lining & the keys are very hard to press up there, i was hoping the P85 wasn't as stiff in that area where i tend to hit on a few songs that i play. Some peeps have talked about 'wobbling' keys on px, but i've not experienced any of that. Don't pay more than $400 for the px-130, otherwise you're paying too much!

#1331716 - 12/22/09 05:37 PM Re: Good piano for a beginner = PX-130 a good choice? [Re: Brian1963]
andie.d Offline

Loc: Argentina
Here in Argentina, a PX-130 is 1000 USD. You're soo lucky...

#1331832 - 12/22/09 08:35 PM Re: Good piano for a beginner = PX-130 a good choice? [Re: roflcopterrr]
Swamp Crocodile Offline

Amazon has the px-330 today (saw it first yesterday) at $610, free shipping. Looks like a good deal to me (if you are in the US). You have to add it to the cart to see the price.

#1331954 - 12/22/09 11:28 PM Re: Good piano for a beginner = PX-130 a good choice? [Re: Swamp Crocodile]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Save up your money a little longer and get the Yamaha P-155. It's in a whole 'nother league than anything below it. And no, Yamaha doesn't pay me to keep harping on it, it's the best DP I've run across for ~$1k. I have a love/hate thing going with it - love the keyboard, hate the sounds (though they are better than most at this price point).

Your best bet is to get the cheapest controller you can find that feels good to you and is durable, then get Pianoteq or a good sample and run it on your PC. This will cost you less, and you will get a much better sound.

Sound is more important than feel IMO, though feel is very important too. If it sounds like crap (most DP's) you may ultimately lose interest. Real pianos are wonderful, rich, organic things that ring forever, and that seem to require a lot to reproduce the sound of, either in modeling or in depth of the sample set.

#1332056 - 12/23/09 03:31 AM Re: Good piano for a beginner = PX-130 a good choice? [Re: dewster]
Pianisti Offline

Originally Posted By: dewster

Sound is more important than feel IMO, though feel is very important too. If it sounds like crap (most DP's) you may ultimately lose interest. Real pianos are wonderful, rich, organic things that ring forever, and that seem to require a lot to reproduce the sound of, either in modeling or in depth of the sample set.

I agree on this part only I think that they complement each other. Even if the action is not the best like in all DPs adjusting the sound with all those hammer sounds etc makes it a more realistic experience. So I would say that the sound has an effect on action and vice versa.

I do not like the sounds of PX130, but then again I didn't really like the sounds of P85 either.

BTW. People are always talking about Pianoteq, what about TruePianos and others? Are there more piano modelling algorithms like those two or are the rest sampled like Ivory?

#1332155 - 12/23/09 09:16 AM Re: Good piano for a beginner = PX-130 a good choice? [Re: Swamp Crocodile]
Swamp Crocodile Offline

:-(

Update:
the deal dissapeared today 12/23/2009

Originally Posted By: BSC
Amazon has the px-330 today (saw it first yesterday) at $610, free shipping. Looks like a good deal to me (if you are in the US). You have to add it to the cart to see the price.

#1332221 - 12/23/09 10:28 AM Re: Good piano for a beginner = PX-130 a good choice? [Re: Pianisti]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Pianisti
I do not like the sounds of PX130, but then again I didn't really like the sounds of P85 either.

I agree.

Originally Posted By: Pianisti
BTW. People are always talking about Pianoteq, what about TruePianos and others? Are there more piano modelling algorithms like those two or are the rest sampled like Ivory?

TruePianos is some sort of blend between pure modeling and pure sampling. I downloaded the latest demo and ran a MIDI file through it. It't generally OK, but the upper octave sounds very toyish with quick arpeggios.

The same MIDI file in Pianoteq 2.3 (older version) sounds more realistic to me. And 3.5 sounds even better.

TruePianos is on sale right now and might make a good first PC piano as it is quite a bit less expensive than Pianoteq.

Pianoteq you can tweak quite a bit more, and it will also do things like vintage electric pianos, vibes, and harpsichords. It strikes me as a much more polished product. I like the simple yet extremely functional stand-alone mode too - in it you can render MIDI directly to WAV in non-realtime, which is a gigantic plus to me.

For TruePianos I had to install their VST host and ASIO driver, a bit of a pain.

Pianoteq also has a Linux port, my hat is off to Modartt.

#1332480 - 12/23/09 03:50 PM Re: Good piano for a beginner = PX-130 a good choice? [Re: dewster]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I should add that Pianoteq has multiple microphones that are fully adjustable, which are much more valuable for creating realistic acoustic spaces than the plain vanilla reverb in TruePianos.

Also, the lowest few notes on TruePianos sound like crap. The decay on the mid and low strings has an odd beating, almost like looping, but not quite as objectionable. It wouldn't surprise me if they use a single velocity sample with looping and filtering tricks, sort of a soft Yamaha P-85, but done somewhat better. All of the "modeling" is probably in the sympathetic resonance.

#1332945 - 12/24/09 10:16 AM Re: Good piano for a beginner = PX-130 a good choice? [Re: Swamp Crocodile]
daviel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Waxahachie, Texas
Nothin' wrong with a px-130. $400.00 for a practice board is a good deal. I'd get it. If you get real good, buy a yamaha cp-1. grin

David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
149 registered (Adypiano, ajames, ABC Vermonter, 44 invisible), 1836 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156094 Topics
2292162 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
fingering suggestions, please
by riley80
34 minutes 31 seconds ago
Yamaha P105 for outdoors ???
by musicmad
38 minutes 44 seconds ago
Godowsky, Poem No. 1, "Devotion"
by RachFan
39 minutes 35 seconds ago
Help for Newbie
by PianoJill
Today at 10:18 AM
25 Vintage Steinways
by Rich D.
Today at 10:15 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission