Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1332994 - 12/24/09 11:50 AM Yamaha YUS5 vs Petrof P135
Alyssa Yang Offline

Hello,

We are looking at these two pianos. We understand they are comparable in class. There is slight difference in price (Yamaha is about 20% cheaper). However, the most important is which one is more preferable because we are in this for a long run. Our daughter is playing very well and it is looking like she will continue on for years to come.

Please let us know your thoughts and how you feel about these two models.

Thanks,
Alyssa

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1333063 - 12/24/09 01:37 PM Re: Yamaha YUS5 vs Petrof P135 [Re: Alyssa Yang]
PreparedPipa Offline

Loc: MA, USA
Hi Alyssa,

Which one does your daughter like more, and why? How old is she?

These two are both excellent pianos. I think the difference is mainly in the tone (some might argue otherwise but this is just my opinion). If your daughter is old enough to make a musically informed decision this might be her call. :0)

lily

#1333094 - 12/24/09 02:18 PM Re: Yamaha YUS5 vs Petrof P135 [Re: PreparedPipa]
Robert 45 Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland New Zealand
Hello Alyssa,
Welcome to the Piano Forum.

The choice between two pianos of similar quality and style is highly subjective. Which of the two pianos appeals more in terms of sound and touch? Your daughter should be able to provide valuable input. If you do not play yourself, ask a friend who plays the piano to play both pianos and give you additional feed back.

From a non musical perspective, the Yamaha is cheaper with better brand recognition than the Petrof which is advantageous when selling or upgrading the piano.

Personally, unless the Petrof had a significantly better tone and touch, I would go for the Yamaha YUS5

All the best for your decision.

Merry Christmas!

Robert.

#1333191 - 12/24/09 04:29 PM Re: Yamaha YUS5 vs Petrof P135 [Re: Robert 45]
terminaldegree Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
These are both potentially very nice uprights. I came close to buying a Petrof 131 and Yamaha U5 during my search a few years ago.

The sound and feel of these instruments will be very different from each other; the best choice may be based on personal preference. Assuming proper dealer prep, I'm sure either would serve you well for a long, long time.

Happy holidays!
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#1334195 - 12/26/09 04:18 PM Re: Yamaha YUS5 vs Petrof P135 [Re: terminaldegree]
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Both are excellent pianos and will serve you well. That said, my question is do you absolutely not have room for even a small grand? The might and majesty of both of these uprights will pale in performance to a decent small grand.

#1334243 - 12/26/09 05:29 PM Re: Yamaha YUS5 vs Petrof P135 [Re: Marty Flinn]
jazzpianist Offline

Loc: London
YUS5 in my opinion. Love it!

#1334268 - 12/26/09 06:12 PM Re: Yamaha YUS5 vs Petrof P135 [Re: jazzpianist]
Mati Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lodz, Poland
Having played some Yamahas and Petrofs lately during my own search (not exactly YUS5 and P135, but still) I think they are very different pianos. Both in sound and touch. Having said that I'd recommend buying the one your daughter loves more. From the reliability standpoint both are well known and respected brands with very high build quality. I would restrain myself from judging which one is better here - both are very fine instruments from the quality standpoint. If we consider sound and touch, it's even more difficult, or even impossible, to judge at all. Yamaha might have some edge if resale is concerned.

What your daughter thinks is the most important factor - don't buy based only on what people here choose and think is better. Treat everything we say as objectively as you can and finally make your decision with your own (your daughter's) heart, ears and hands. Sound and touch is extremely personal and subjective.

By the way, I'm curious - where do you live, if I may ask? I looked up prices here in Poland and was suprised, because here Yamaha is over 30% more expensive than Petrof, and at your place it's cheaper. So either Yamaha is much more pricey here than everywhere else, or Petrof is rising the price bar where you live. Sorry for my question - it's just plain curiosity.

Best wishes!
Mateusz

Edited by Mati (12/26/09 06:13 PM)
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)

#1334629 - 12/27/09 11:54 AM Re: Yamaha YUS5 vs Petrof P135 [Re: Mati]
Alyssa Yang Offline

Hi Mateusz,

We live in Hong Kong. The price of the Petrof is roughly 20% more expensive than the Yamaha.

Based on everyone's recommendations, we did go back to the piano shop and have our daughter tried out all of the possible models of similar class. She landed her eyes on the Boston UP-132E PE. Pricing wise, it's between the Yamaha and the Petrof.

We do not know much about Piano and we are reluctant to base a long term purchase on just our daughter's judgement (she's under 10). It would be nice to solicit a bit more professional advices.

May I know your view on the Boston UP-132E PE? Is it the same class as the YUS5 and Petrof P135? It carries the name of its parents Steinway and Sons. But is it truly one of the best in its class or is it just overrated because of having a parent of that name?

Thanks,
Alyssa

Edited by Alyssa Yang (12/27/09 12:01 PM)

#1334680 - 12/27/09 01:12 PM Re: Yamaha YUS5 vs Petrof P135 [Re: Alyssa Yang]
Robert 45 Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland New Zealand
Hi Alyssa,
Although, your question about the Boston UP-132E PE is directed at Mateusz, I used to own a Boston grand piano and I am happy to offer an opinion.

Boston pianos are made in the Kawai Piano factory at Hamamatsu in Japan. Steinway and Sons state that the design of Boston pianos is Steinway inspired, but their manufacture is entirely by Kawai.

A significant point of differentiation between Boston and Kawai is that Boston pianos have the traditional wood action. They do not have Kawai's Millenium III action which is mostly constructed from synthetic material for greater strength and stability.

I have found the larger model Boston verticals and grands very nice instruments and in quality they are similar to Yamaha and Kawai pianos.

Whether or not they are the best in their class is debatable.
For some, the Steinway association inscribed on the piano may confer a special status.
In my view it is wiser to assess the Boston UP_132PE in comparison with other makes using the more important criteria of tone, touch and dynamic range.

Best wishes,

Robert

#1334693 - 12/27/09 01:33 PM Re: Yamaha YUS5 vs Petrof P135 [Re: Alyssa Yang]
schwammerl Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Belgium
Alyssa,

We all have our personal opinions.

I once owned a Petrof P 131 (apart from the cabinet and the sostenuto pedal the same piano as the 135) and a Boston 132.

I considered the Boston the worst upright I ever owned and therefor did not keep it long: meaty bass section that is disproportional to the rest os the scale, bass section thus difficult to controll, a lot of cabinet resonances and sloppy finish overall, i.e. the interior of the piano as compared to a Petrof.

The Petrof P 131 (135) I consider one of the better uprights in it's price category and the category to 25% above that. I may seem a bit restraint at first encounter, but the tonbe is very well balanced and opens uo when power is needed.

schwammerl.

#1334766 - 12/27/09 04:00 PM Re: Yamaha YUS5 vs Petrof P135 [Re: schwammerl]
Mati Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lodz, Poland
I have never encountered Boston myself, so I can't give any constructive advice here. I will however read with great interest what others could say about them!

M.
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Learning a piece under a deadline, good results?
by ChopinLives81
54 minutes 7 seconds ago
Gors Spangenberg
by PhilipInChina
Today at 09:28 PM
Help with Korg M1
by bonesy
Today at 09:12 PM
Screw stringer parts needed
by tenspan
Today at 08:58 PM
You must like every major composer
by JoelW
Today at 07:32 PM
Who's Online
123 registered (angga888, anotherscott, accordeur, anamnesis, 37 invisible), 1323 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76620 Members
42 Forums
158430 Topics
2326601 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission