2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 12 invisible), 1,807 guests, and 292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by P I A N O piano
Well, I've enjoyed facebook yet remain cautious. I don't play those FB games and don't accept applications- but I do load pictures and share some youtube videos that I enjoy! I'm a social person and find it amusing, I guess. I've been able to reconnect with so many wonderful people this way- but I very much understand anyone's hesitation. It's unusual in that you can really blend the past and present (i.e., friends from childhood and current friends!) So far I do not regret having a FB page...
smile

Agree with all of that -- well said.

I used the word "paranoid" about myself up there, and indeed I've been extremely cautious about any online involvement, since day 1. I don't put any sensitive material on a computer that's connected to the internet, ever, and I've been slow to join anything like Facebook.

I only joined after a "critical mass" of trusted friends and colleagues had been on there for a while and had a volume of experience that I felt demonstrated that it was all right.

J
J
I was on FB for about a month then got off. Most of the friends I would interact with already were set up in emailbox and other common websites etc. What I couldn't understand is that most of the content was much more than I cared to know about the daily duties and practices of people. Especially of people I was not on closely familiar territory. Such things as "going to the gym, baking cookies, getting a haircut etc" just didn't interest me. And I couldn't understand the fascination with the games that FB provided. Just not my cup of tea....But the final reason I left is that with all the privacy settings, identity protection, passwords etc., one of my nursing students ended up on my FB and vice versa. Don't know how it happened, FB couldn't tell me but I needed to sever that tie for sure. I might add, I also keep a separate computer for different aspects of my life. Because once it's in the machine, I worry it's there for good somewhere. Just my nickel. Jim

Originally Posted by jtattoo
I was on FB for about a month then got off.......the final reason I left is that with all the privacy settings, identity protection, passwords etc., one of my nursing students ended up on my FB and vice versa.....

I'm in a similar professional situation, and that's the one kind of thing I can most imagine might make me discontinue.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MarkCannon
I'd be interested to know if there has really been a significant problem. I recall hearing/reading of one issue recently, don't remember exactly what. If people know that there have been significant problems beyond that, I'd certainly be interested to know and I might withdraw from it .....I imagine others here might also.

And please don't anybody come on and say "Do a search." ha

By the way......During my brief time on there, it's been extremely extremely rewarding. (Yes, double extremely.) But indeed I would reconsider my participation, depending on the degree of problems.

I think that was the "Koobface" virus. A PC user friend of mine got it...I think it attempts to steal personal info from your computer.

Hey, Mr. Google is your friend on the Web of Greater Knowledge. ha

It's been rewarding for me as well; however, I won't be joining the PW group because I wish to remain anonymous. smile

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Indeed, with all the time I waste spend on PW why would I want to add another opportunity to avoid practicing piano? smile

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
OP Offline
Indeed, with all the time I waste spend on PW why would I want to add another opportunity to avoid practicing piano?

haha- ever since I've been on break, I've kept three tabs open: FB, PW and Wiki... I just meander to these sites when I take piano breaks... about every 40 minutes or so...
however, i don't think you have to give away your PW name on the FB/PW site...but the FB PW site is for people who don't mind revealing their faces, I guess. I agree that I like being anonymous and I reveal myself just in PMs or through FB. What goes on in the Facebook Piano World Site? (It's closed so I can't tell!!)

Last edited by P I A N O piano; 12/24/09 05:38 PM. Reason: correct spelling
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Facebook has always been good to me, so I requested to join.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by BruceD
Why, would someone please tell me, would I want to join FaceBook?

I too would really like to know why I should want to join Facebook? What will I find there that I will not find anywhere else?

Originally Posted by David-G
Why, would someone please tell me, would I want to join FaceBook?

I too would really like to know why I should want to join Facebook? What will I find there that I will not find anywhere else?

Dunno what else you're finding elsewhere, but I sure found a lot that I wasn't finding elsewhere.
It's a delight, and a gold mine -- or at least can be.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Some examples of "gold-mine delights" perhaps...?

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Well, it's good for keeping up with friends and family who live far away. That's what I use it for. My family is scattered all over the country.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
OP Offline
--reuniting with old college friends from 30 years ago!
--an alternative to email when sending messages,
--keep in touch with your college kids,
--join in with a new way of communicating (remember, when the phone was invented people snarfed then, too-- this type of communication is not ever going to go away.)
--a way to socialize when too busy,
-- a way to find out about social events
--it's just another medium, that's all... not worth too much more conversation, frankly- you can always check it out and then delete your account--

OP Offline
BTW...if you request to join the Piano World on Facebook, double check the profile picture and make sure it's the same icon as this site. There is another that is public. The Pianoworld group I'm referring to is private - so that wall posts cannot be seen by those who are not in the group. The group is very small, hence the reason for my initial question and this thread.

Some examples of "gold-mine delights" perhaps...?

Sure......

-- I've gotten back in touch with about 15-20 old friends and acquaintances, just in the few weeks I've been on there, some of whom I absolutely would not have been able to get back in touch with in any other way that I can imagine.

-- You know how sometimes you're just curious to see what some person you used to know looks like or whatever, or just to see a little of what they've been up to, and you try to google them, and sometimes you get something but very often you don't?
Well, maybe you're not as "curious" as I am smile so maybe it doesn't apply for you, but it does for me.
Facebook is an extremely more efficient and effective way of doing that. And you don't feel as much like you're "spying" on people, because if they're on Facebook and they have their pictures on there, it means they're willing to be seen.

-- I've been able to enjoy seeing "collections" of people from the past, from various "groups" (that's what FB calls them, and it's as good a term as any) ......from various groups like my high school, college, summer camps, etc. Some of the people are ones that I never would have thought to look up, because I'd sort of forgotten about them, but nevertheless are people that I'm interested to touch base with again, even if just for a moment. And some of them apparently will become ongoing friends again. Plus, even aside from being in touch with any of them, it's a HOOT to see the collections of people in these various groups; it's a little like being time-traveled back to the earlier time for a moment.

-- Other things too, but I'll leave it at that for now.

Maybe some or all of these things are meaningless for you, but we're talking about what's been a "gold mine" for ME, right? smile

Originally Posted by P I A N O piano
--reuniting with old college friends from 30 years ago!
--an alternative to email when sending messages,
--keep in touch with your college kids,
--join in with a new way of communicating (remember, when the phone was invented people snarfed then, too-- this type of communication is not ever going to go away.)
--a way to socialize when too busy,
-- a way to find out about social events
--it's just another medium, that's all... not worth too much more conversation, frankly- you can always check it out and then delete your account--

Cool......others have found a 'gold mine' there too! smile

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by jazzyprof
Indeed, with all the time I waste spend on PW why would I want to add another opportunity to avoid practicing piano? smile

That's my attitude, along with feeling generally overdosed on technology. I don't even have a cellphone or iPod. It's funny, because many years ago, I was usually the "early adapter" in my circle of friends and acquaintances, and now I'm almost the opposite.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Horowitzian
Well, it's good for keeping up with friends and family who live far away. That's what I use it for. My family is scattered all over the country.

I primarily use Facebook for staying in touch with old uni friends. It can be quite an adventure, believe me. Otherwise, I've no interest in joining Piano World on Facebook. My profile is far too revealing. laugh

Jason
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission